April 3rd, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

1. Upcoming events

2. H.R. 3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011

3. Film Fest

4. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

5. Anything else others want to bring up.

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

1. Upcoming events

  • Get JP on the ballot
  • April 4th - Together Boston panel on patents
  • April 7th - Together Boston Tabling - Lauren, Jeanne & others
  • April 7/8th - BarCamp, MIT?
  • April 6-8th - PaxEast, Boston Convention Center?
  • April 6-8th - AnimeBoston, Hynes Convention center?
  • April 28th - Extravaganja, Amherst
  • May 5th - Wake Up The Earth, JP
  • May 12th: Film Festival, see below
  • June: Boston Pride

2. H.R. 3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011

   A link to it: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr3523
   TechDirt's commentary: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120402/04425118325/forget-sopa-you-should-be-worried-about-this-cybersecurity-bill.shtml

3. Film Fest

   Link to page asking for suggestions: http://piratenpad.de/p/masspiratesfilmfest

4. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

Attending

[Not the actual list, just posted the attendees from last meeting so there is less work to to]

  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
  • erixoltan - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • GrimJack - Chicopee, near Spfld
  • K`Tetch - Andrew Norton, Georgia Pirate Party

Summary

1. Upcoming events

  • Get JP on the ballot - Jamie met with him to go over paperwork and will touch base with him weekly.
  • April 4th - Jamie speaking at Together Boston panel on patents
  • April 7th - Together Boston Tabling - Lauren, Jeanne & others
  • April 28th - Extravaganja - Lauren & Erik can table. Erik will get us a table. Will put out the word.

2. H.R. 3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011

K`Tetch of Georgia Pirate Party writing statement in a few days. Will send to national lists. We will offer comments and use.

3. Film Fest

Erik will coordinate the schedule. Erik and Jeremy should be able to help. We may need to move date due to conflicts. June 16th a possibility. Jamie will see if that works.

4. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot? - deferred to next meeting

5. Planned/Possible future events:

  • June 9th: Boston Pride
  • July
    • 20/21st - Art Beat
    • Pirate Picnic?
  • August Mini conference?
  • September: Freedom Rally
  • Oct-Dec: Local Issues conference

Meeting Minutes

<nowiki>

[12:02] <GrimJack> Good afternoon [12:03] <SplendidSpoon> hey [12:05] <jokeefe> agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=April_3rd,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:05] <jokeefe> BRB [12:08] <jokeefe> back [12:08] <jokeefe> id - jokeefe, James O'Keefe, Somerville [12:09] <erixoltan> Erik Zoltan, Framingham [12:10] <SplendidSpoon> Lauren Pespisa - Boxboro/Cambridge [12:13] <jokeefe> this seems to be the place to be with all the people on it [12:14] <SplendidSpoon> Yea... [12:14] <GrimJack> I'm here, Chicopee, just multi-tasking.. [12:15] <jokeefe> that's the advantage of chats, no need to converse in real time [12:15] <erixoltan> In another window, I'm typing the "con" position on marijuana legalization that I promised to do last week. [12:16] <GrimJack> I just put a new ROM on the phone, tweaking and running backups.. [12:16] <jokeefe> Item 1. Upcoming events [12:16] <jokeefe> no word back on Extravaganja about tabling [12:17] <jokeefe> Was reminded about Wake Up The Earth in JP on May 5th [12:18] <jokeefe> We have more folks in Boston area to get out to volunteer, so WUTE may be the better opportunity [12:18] <jokeefe> opinions? [12:19] <erixoltan> I think extravaganja is also a good opportunity. Would be willing to try working on that one. [12:20] <SplendidSpoon> Yea I'd do either [12:20] <SplendidSpoon> Only do extravaganja if there's more people though [12:21] <jokeefe> I cannot be at either. Kids soccer season started. [12:22] <jokeefe> erix, do you think you can make extravaganja? [12:23] <erixoltan> I will check with Melanie. [12:23] <erixoltan> I think probably. [12:23] <erixoltan> Is it OK if I contact them to ask about tables? [12:26] <jokeefe> sure, email them at cannabis@umasscrc.org. i didn't find a phone number on their site, but [12:27] <erixoltan> I'll find a way to get in touch with them. [12:27] <erixoltan> Thanks. [12:27] <jokeefe> or here http://www.umass.edu/csd/rso/category/ [12:27] <jokeefe> ok, thanks for dealing with it. [12:28] <jokeefe> We need to get the form in for WUTE by April 6th or the rate goes up [12:28] <jokeefe> $35 -> $60 [12:30] <jokeefe> I met with JP on Saturday and walked him through the paperwork [12:31] <jokeefe> We agreed to touch base once a week to check on his progress on getting ready and getting on the ballot [12:31] <SplendidSpoon> Cool [12:31] <jokeefe> Sorru, i meant Sunday [12:32] <jokeefe> Item 2. H.R. 3523: Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act of 2011 [12:32] <jokeefe> Anyone had a chance to look at it? [12:32] <SplendidSpoon> I haven't but I don't like the sound of it [12:34] <jokeefe> nor i [12:35] <jokeefe> anyone want to write a statement against it? [12:35] <jokeefe> though it looks like there are a few such bills [12:35] <jokeefe> here is the aclu break down http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/aclu_cs_info_sharing_leg_chart_march_2012__final.pdf [12:37] <SplendidSpoon> We need more writers hehe [12:38] <jokeefe> yes [12:38] <K`Tetch> I might write something for Ga, you can share it if you want [12:38] <jokeefe> that is fine. always easy to edit. when would you have it done? [12:38] <K`Tetch> not sure [12:39] <K`Tetch> maybe next day or two [12:39] <erixoltan> I'm reading this description of the bill and it's hard to tell what it actually says. [12:39] <jokeefe> that sounds like most bills [12:39] <K`Tetch> yeah [12:39] <K`Tetch> have you tried the CRO summery? [12:40] <erixoltan> No, just looking at the ACLU link Jamie provided. [12:40] <K`Tetch> ok [12:41] <K`Tetch> dosn't seem to be one here, yet http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr3523 [12:43] <jokeefe> Well, lets wait for K`Tetch's draft and then modify if need be. K`Tetch, will you post to the national list? [12:43] <K`Tetch> and jokeefe - don't hesitate to stick any of my other writing up [12:43] <K`Tetch> which national list? :-) [12:44] <jokeefe> either, both [12:44] <K`Tetch> ok [12:45] <jokeefe> Does that work for folks? SplendidSpoon, erixoltan, GrimJack? [12:45] <SplendidSpoon> Sounds good [12:45] <erixoltan> yup [12:46] <jokeefe> Item 3. Film Fest [12:46] <GrimJack> Sure.. I'd give it the once-over. I'll be following CISPA very closely. [12:46] <jokeefe> great [12:47] <jokeefe> i'll you mail your email to info@masspirates.org I will put you on the email discussion list [12:47] <jokeefe> I put up the page to solicit more ideas for the film fest [12:47] <SplendidSpoon> Cool [12:47] <erixoltan> I am watching a lot of the videos in order to come up with recommendations. [12:48] <jokeefe> got some more, plus someone deleted the contents and suggested we show porn [12:48] <jokeefe> thanks, erixoltan [12:49] <SplendidSpoon> oh great lol [12:49] <K`Tetch> well, there have been legal arguments raised that porn doesn't qualify for copyright... [12:49] <jokeefe> needless to say I removed that comment, though perhaps I should have just integrated it in and might have if said person hadn't deleted everything there [12:49] <SplendidSpoon> lol [12:49] <jokeefe> true, K`Tetch [12:49] <K`Tetch> most porn anyway [12:49] <SplendidSpoon> Wish we could show "We Are Legion" [12:49] <jokeefe> I really don't want to get into that fight though [12:49] <SplendidSpoon> That movie was awesome [12:49] <jokeefe> but it is under copyright, yes? [12:49] <K`Tetch> stuff like Pirates and Pirates2 Stagnelli's revenge would qualify [12:49] <SplendidSpoon> Yes it is [12:50] <GrimJack> Is it still on the festival circuit or is it available in the usual places yet? [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> Festival circuit still [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> Some people got mailed advance copies [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> After we saw the premiere in NYC [12:50] <GrimJack> Then some people need to share. [12:50] <jokeefe> Think we could get permission to show it? [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> or screening or whatever [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> Ummmm I dunno [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> It's kind of a big deal [12:50] <SplendidSpoon> Even Gregg promised not to seed until after major debut [12:51] <K`Tetch> is the film festival ONLY public domain films now? or others as well? [12:51] <jokeefe> anything that can be freely copied and distributed [12:51] <K`Tetch> there's slacker uprising [12:52] <K`Tetch> that was distributed on torrent, iirc [12:52] <jokeefe> I'll throw this out: we may have a big conflict with May 12th. [12:52] <jokeefe> big for me and SplendidSpoon that is :-) [12:52] <SplendidSpoon> omg [12:52] <SplendidSpoon> Little Shop of Horrors [12:52] <SplendidSpoon> Is public domain [12:52] <SplendidSpoon> lol [12:52] <SplendidSpoon> indeed [12:52] <jokeefe> really? [12:52] <erixoltan> woohoo put it on the list [12:52] <SplendidSpoon> oh wait [12:53] <SplendidSpoon> its not the musical version [12:53] <jokeefe> the original, right> [12:53] <jokeefe> ? [12:53] <GrimJack> Yes, the original w/Jack Nicholson. [12:53] == SplendidSpoon [~lpespisa@38.111.20.226] [12:53] == realname : Lauren Pespisa [12:53] == channels : #masspirates [12:53] == server : barjavel.freenode.net [Paris, FR] [12:53] == account : SplendidSpoon [12:53] == End of WHOIS [12:53] <SplendidSpoon> I only saw the musical version mself [12:53] <SplendidSpoon> Damnit [12:53] <SplendidSpoon> the 39 steps and third man both used to be public domain [12:54] <SplendidSpoon> Those are AWESOME movies [12:54] <jokeefe> not public domain anylonger? [12:54] <SplendidSpoon> Stupid Uruguay round Agreements act [12:54] <jokeefe> ugh [12:55] <K`Tetch> Busted:a citizens guide to surviving police encounters, and 10 simple rules for dealing with the police are CC-by-nc-sa videos [12:55] <SplendidSpoon> ooh Nanook of the North <3 [12:56] <K`Tetch> (we show them every year at dragoncon on the EFF track) [12:56] <jokeefe> put them up [12:56] <jokeefe> http://piratenpad.de/p/masspiratesfilmfest [12:56] <SplendidSpoon> Is openflix reliable [12:57] <jokeefe> "commonly thought to be in the public domain" [12:58] <jokeefe> Ooo The Black Pirate [12:58] <jokeefe> or maybe not [12:59] <jokeefe> So anyway, there may be a conflict on the date, but I am waiting to hear back because if we need to reschedule, I want to do it ASAP [12:59] <SplendidSpoon> ok [13:00] <erixoltan> Isn't that the second conflict with the 12th? Should we just reschedule anyway? [13:00] <jokeefe> I suggested we contact the Occupy Boston Arts WG for suggestions [13:00] <SplendidSpoon> oh good idea [13:01] <jokeefe> well, they may not be able to do the 12th and I don't want to reschedule and then have another conflict. that said, I like 3rd Saturday in June since it is right after Pride so we can tell people about it then too [13:01] <jokeefe> of course we could just reschedule and then tell them when we have rescheduled to [13:02] <jokeefe> I can ask Jared/DemoCenter if that works for them. [13:04] <jokeefe> DemoCenter is available on Sat June 16th after 3pm [13:04] <jokeefe> So I would suggest if we move to then it be 4-10pm [13:04] <SplendidSpoon> That sounds fine to me [13:07] <erixoltan> I will have to check, may have a conflict on that day. [13:07] <erixoltan> My son is flying to Germany, not sure if it's Sat or not. [13:08] <jokeefe> Sat the 23rd is available [13:09] <jokeefe> well, lets move forward as if it will be the 12th and if we need to change it, I'll work out the possiblities and get back to folks [13:10] <erixoltan> I would be free either the 16th or the 23rd. [13:11] <jokeefe> ok, 16th is preferable to the 23rd, but i will check with Jared and the Demo center and other parties [13:11] <jokeefe> interested parties [13:13] <jokeefe> I'll do a write up on the "Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot" and send it out for comment. [13:13] <jokeefe> Makes sense to defer to next week or later [13:13] <jokeefe> we have time on that [13:13] <jokeefe> how are things on the national level? [13:14] <erixoltan> I made two proposals to the PNC meeting last week - both were rejected - so no change. [13:15] <jokeefe> what were the proposals? [13:16] <erixoltan> One was to create a committee that would encourage the establishment of PP's in all 50 states. The other was to discuss policies other than the "big 3" that are common to all Pirate Parties. [13:17] <jokeefe> what were the reason for the rejections? [13:17] <jokeefe> seems fairly normal proposals [13:18] <jokeefe> BTW; I locked down the wiki so only sysops can add people and post. I started to delete the spam (there were over 25,000 posts), but haven't finished yet. [13:18] <jokeefe> accidentally deleted the Jan 9th notes, but I can recreate the summary. will back things up before proceeding further. email me if you want to be added as a sysop [13:19] <erixoltan> On the one for policies other than the big 3 - some peole think that it should be left at just these three and that it's wrong to extend them. [13:19] <jokeefe> I went and added a bunch of tools for fighting spam, but the best method was to query the db and then delete that way. [13:20] <jokeefe> Well, the Party of Open still applies [13:20] <erixoltan> Despite our feelings about being open, I think you're probably doing the right thing by limiting who can post. We wouldn't deny any reasonable person. [13:20] <bsod> oh, forgot about the meeting eh [13:20] <bsod> how was it [13:21] <jokeefe> good [13:21] <jokeefe> notes at the agenda [13:21] <jokeefe> i need to put a disclaimer up explaining why it is locked down and how folks can get access (though not as sysops) [13:22] <jokeefe> then find an automated solution to mark spam so we can delete it easily. [13:22] <jokeefe> if you let it go months it really gets out of control [13:22] <jokeefe> and search becomes difficult [13:23] <jokeefe> that's all I have, shall we adjourn the formal meeting? [13:23] <bsod> i sort of looked for volunteers, didnt find any cept illunatic says hes willing to help with wordpress designs [13:23] <erixoltan> arrrr [13:24] <bsod> ah, cyber security bills eh [13:24] <bsod> the actions on the left side of my site are getting too full http://activepolitic.com:82/ [13:24] <bsod> so many bad bills [13:24] <jokeefe> bsod, that sounds good. perhaps we can meet in person and go over it [13:25] <jokeefe> BTW: my german pirate contact said we could use their wordpress theme, but it isn't documented yet [13:25] <jokeefe> he said he would ask them to document it. [13:25] <jokeefe> bsod, aye