August 2nd, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

  1. 7/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  2. Somerville Black Lives Matter rally

Aaron James Campaign

  • 8/6, 4pm, Going door-to-door (weekly)
  • 8/30,6-9:30, Aaron James Event, The Somerville Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville

Event Planning

PirateCon Recordings

  • Audio
  • Video

Upcoming Events

  1. 8/27, 1-5pm, Boston Public Library Cryptoparty, Grove Hall Branch, 41 Geneva Avenue, Dorchester.
  2. 8/30,6-9:30, Aaron James Event, The Somerville Armory, 191 Highland Ave, Somerville
  3. 8/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  4. 9/17-18, Freedom Rally Table
  5. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  6. Democracy/IT meeting
  7. WMass Cryptoparty
  8. How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11am-12:30pm, Tatte Bakery & Cafe, 101 Main Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)

Observers

  • papegaai
  • davidd
  • igel
  • Velveeta_Chef

Summary

Last cryptoparty went well. Tried out ring.cx and ricochet.im. Ricochet was pretty easy to use.

Somerville BLM protest had good turnout -- better than the police union's demonstration.

Aaron James campaign. Went door-knocking last Saturday. Five of us. Handed out 200 or so flyers. Aaron will have another campaign event on Aug 30th.

Freedom Rally. There will be several tents advocating for legalization. They are looking for speakers.

Pirate Picnic. Email, blog post done. There's also a facebook event.

Audio recordings. We've been posting one podcast per week. They've been more popular this year than last. Have enough material for 5--7 more weeks, then we'll have to record more audio.

Chelsea Manning. She recently attempted suicide. Gov't would like to give her additional time, due to the suicide attempt. They may also put her in solidary confinement.

Minutes

 
21:03 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_2nd,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:03 <@papegaai> Title: August 2nd, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:03 < jokeefe> ids
21:03 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:09 < jokeefe> Anything to add to the agenda?
21:09 < srevilak> no -- looks good to me
21:10 < jokeefe> Reviews
21:10 < jokeefe> The Somerville Cryptoparty went well
21:11 < jokeefe> We tried out ring.cx and ricochet.im
21:11 < srevilak> how was ricochet?
21:12 < jokeefe> pretty easy to use
21:13 < jokeefe> you can share ricochet ids when you meet in person or
        use another mechanism to exchange info securely
21:15 < jokeefe> ring looks promising, but creating aliases for ids had
        some issues on macs at least
21:15 < Bluestreak> Tried yesterday to put a new key into Thunderbird
        Failed
21:16 < jokeefe> it is a bit nicer. you can scan your id as a qr code
21:16 < Bluestreak> Need a refresher
21:16 < jokeefe> happy to go over it when I next see you
21:16 < Bluestreak> Yes but to do that I would have to learne a whole
        new program
21:16 < Bluestreak> OK thanks, I was hoping you’d say that
21:17 < Bluestreak> qr codes are neat, though
21:17 < jokeefe> they are pretty easy to use
21:18 < jokeefe> Somerville Black Lives Matter rally went well.
        Well attended.
21:19 < Bluestreak> Better attende than the Polce’s protest
21:19 < jokeefe> yes
21:20 < Bluestreak> Cops got all the media covearge
21:20 < Bluestreak> :-/
21:20 < jokeefe> most of the media attention seemed to be on the police
        rally, though.
21:20 < Bluestreak> 1% interests matter!
21:21 < jokeefe> having the rallies at different places hurts media
        attention for one of them.
21:22 < jokeefe> Aaron James Campaign is going door to door
21:22 < srevilak> we had a good run on Saturday -- handed out ~ 200 flyers
21:23 < jokeefe> cool
21:25 < Bluestreak> Great!
21:25 < Bluestreak> There is going to be a teach in at Freedom
        Rally. Aaron should be there.
21:25 < jokeefe> He is holding another campaign event on the 30th
21:25 < Bluestreak> We plan on being there if at all possible.
21:26 < jokeefe> great
21:27 < Bluestreak> He can educate people that the duopoly is not a
        friend to the legalization movement and why they aren’t.
21:27 < Bluestreak> I am talking to him by chat about it.
21:28 < jokeefe> Looks like a good event
21:29 < jokeefe> Will need to drum up people for it
21:29 < jokeefe> Also, freedom rally will have a series of tents
        advocating for legalization
21:30 < jokeefe> They are looking for speakers
21:31 < jokeefe> Pirate Picnic - got the email out about it, updated
        the blog. thanks for the FB event and sign up form
21:31 < srevilak> with server side tweaks, web site seems much more
        response (w/r/t signup form)
21:31 < Bluestreak> Oh that too!
21:32 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:32 < Bluestreak> We have the best blog of all the PPs in th US!
21:34 < jokeefe> :-)
21:35 < jokeefe> please spread the word about it
21:35 < Bluestreak> I do, but I will step up my game.
21:36 < jokeefe> thank you
21:36 < jokeefe> I think we have stuff covered
21:37 < jokeefe> got to post to act-ma
21:37 < jokeefe> PirateCon Recordings
21:37 < Bluestreak> What about our table?
21:37 < jokeefe> Thanks for posting them srevilak
21:37 < Bluestreak> What is our focus at FR this year?
21:37 < jokeefe> Audio that is
21:37 < Bluestreak> oops
21:37 < srevilak> Take a look at this:
        https://archive.org/details/masspirates&tab=about
21:37 < jokeefe> FR - legalization
21:37 <@papegaai> Title: Massachusetts Pirate Party : Free Audio :
        Download & Streaming : Internet Archive (at archive.org)
21:38 < srevilak> Looks like we had more success this year
21:38 < srevilak> based on # of views
21:38 < jokeefe> cool
21:38 < srevilak> I like the idea of releasing 1 piece/week
21:39 < srevilak> we have enough material for 5--7 more weeks
21:39 < jokeefe> Would you add it to the 2016 page?
21:39 < srevilak> Then we'll need to record more stuff
21:39 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes, can add to 2016 page
21:39 < jokeefe> thanks
21:39 < jokeefe> video - asked Noe for video and will get it up.
21:39 < srevilak> would it be worthwhile to add "Internet Archive"
        to links on blog (in addition to wiki, etc)
21:40 < jokeefe> yes
21:43 < jokeefe> Would either of you be willing to write a post about
        Chelsea Mannings’ situation?
21:43 < srevilak> I heard about a suicide attempt, but that's all I know
21:44 < jokeefe> They are trying to give her more time for the suicide
        attempt
21:45 < srevilak> Wow, that's harsh
21:45 < jokeefe> yes
21:45 < jokeefe> heard that solitary may also be in her future
21:46 < Bluestreak> I am more focused on Lauren’s predicament
21:46 < Bluestreak> Word is she is pretty FUBARed
21:46 < jokeefe> yes
21:47 < jokeefe> Found this
        http://www.concordma.gov/pages/concordma_police/Logs/Arrests/06262016Arrest.pdf
21:47 < Bluestreak> Very bummed about this. Yeah, Jason found that
        weeks ago.
21:48 < srevilak> ouch :(
21:48 < Bluestreak> Lauren asked me not to post about her on FB before
        he bail was revoked, I guess she’s changed her mind
21:49 < Bluestreak> SOP is to give you more time for attemping self har,
21:49 < Bluestreak> m
21:49 < Bluestreak> Always.
21:49 < Bluestreak> For all prisoners
21:50 < Bluestreak> I can make the case that drugs should not be illegal
        but I have trouble making the case that Chelsea should not be in jail. She
        made herself subject to the laws of the army when she signed up.
21:51 < jokeefe> Anything else to discuss?
21:52 < srevilak> nothing from me
21:52 < Bluestreak> One thing
21:52 < Bluestreak> I guess sotra related
21:52 < Bluestreak> Mike needs guests co-hosts until a replacement for
        Lauren can be found
21:53 < Bluestreak> It was nice having a Pirate in the passanger seat
21:53 < jokeefe> Could ask around
21:53 < Bluestreak> If there are Pirates who would like to spend a
        Saturday evening there...
21:53 < jokeefe> Noe, Aaron, ...
21:54 < Bluestreak> We could offer up Aaron one week. Noe, another...
21:54 < Bluestreak> yup
21:54 < Bluestreak> That’s my final thought for the night
21:54 < jokeefe> You ask Mike, I will ask them
21:54 < jokeefe> ?
21:54 < Bluestreak> Mike asked me already...
21:55 < Bluestreak> I will hit them up.
21:55 < jokeefe> ok, thank you
21:55 < Bluestreak> You should too though
21:55 < jokeefe> Sure
21:56 < jokeefe> We are at time.  Motion to adjourn?
21:56 < srevilak> second
21:56 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:56 < srevilak> aye
21:56 < jokeefe> aye
21:56 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:56 < jokeefe> thanks