August 31st, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Reviews

  • $80 charity disgorgement

Task Status

  • PirateCon 2015 Videos (jokeefe, Bluestreak)
  • MAAPL form (srevilak, jokeefe, noe, ...)
  • Newsletter (Kendra, paper_waves, ?)
    • Design & Feedback
    • Distribution Planning (besides emailing a pdf)
      • Gather list of people to mail it to (?)
      • Gather a list of places to distribute it (?)
      • Decide on the print run (?)
    • Distribute
  • Media
    • Updated media list (fish/noe)
    • Sep. - Freedom Rally
    • Oct. - Free Software & Innovation
    • Nov. - 2016 Elections
    • Dec. - ?
  • Blog posts
    • Massachusetts GMO labeling bill (H.3242) - (Bluestreak with help from jokeefe)
    • Email lists & Local/regional contacts (jokeefe)
    • TPP/CISA (jokeefe)
    • Other legislation (jokeefe)

Tasks: Wiki list, PiratePad version.


Event Planning

  1. Sep. 26th & 27th, Freedom Rally - Sign up form - Planning - have asked for volunteers in email as well, need blog post by July/Aug
  2. Sep. 22, 1pm, Public Hearing on Massachusetts GMO labeling bill (H.3242), Gardner Auditorium at the Massachusetts State House
  3. Sep. 30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  4. Oct. 3, 7-11pm, FSF 30th Anniversary Celebration, CIC Boston, 50 Milk St, Boston
  5. Oct. 13 (probably), Cory Doctorow Event - Working with other groups
  6. Oct. 28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  7. Nov. event?
  8. Nov. 25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts
  9. Dec. event?
  10. Dec. 30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, Parts & Crafts

Restarting in September: Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • srevilak
  • js0000
  • Kendra
  • igel

Observers

  • davidd
  • aquaticonions
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

Minutes

 
20:59 < srevilak> hi js0000
21:01 < srevilak> very quick agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_31st,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < srevilak> hi Kendra
21:12 < igel> lo
21:12 < srevilak> hi igel
21:12 < igel> william fleurant, arlington ma
21:12 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:13 < igel> how goes it?
21:13 < igel> just read jokeefe's email
21:13 < srevilak> not bad.  Lot of fun playing with civi this weekend
21:14 < srevilak> quickly assembled agenda at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_31st,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:21 < igel> welp, i think i got a sticker/media person re: todo/tasks
21:23 < srevilak> that's excellent, thanks!
21:23 < igel> s'mazing the voters of CA voted -down- the GMO vote (like
        last year?)
21:24 < js0000> johnny saylor wonderful waltham
21:24 < srevilak> igel: hadn't heard about that one
21:24 < js0000> lots of entertainment/propaganda professionals in CA
21:25 < js0000> pretty depressing though ...
21:25 < igel> yea... it was to (sorta the same topic) change the labeling
        on their food..
21:25 < igel>
        http://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_37,_Mandatory_Labeling_of_Genetically_Engineered_Food_%282012%29
21:25 < igel> California Proposition 37, Mandatory Labeling of Genetically
        Engineered Food (2012)
21:26 < srevilak> Speaking of which,
        https://www.rt.com/usa/313806-monsanto-roundup-kidney-damage/
21:26 < igel> how can this not pass?!?
21:27 < srevilak> study published in UK, Italy France.  I doubt it would
        ever have been published in US, at least not w/o a big lawsuit
21:27 < js0000> "what's good for business is good for the country"
21:28 < js0000> or whatever is left of it
21:29 < js0000> sorry- will try to hold cynicism in check for rest of chat
21:29 < srevilak> igel: was that a 2012 vote?
21:29 < igel> hehe nah -- i haven't heard an argument as close to that
        one js
21:29 < igel> i guess it was steve
21:30 < igel> i thought it was like damn.. last year..
21:30 < srevilak> I was going to say, I saw a 2012 vote that looked
        pretty close in terms of yes/no percentages
21:30 < srevilak> :)
21:31 < igel> marijuana in mass, heh right?
21:31 < srevilak> igel: anything to wind down the war on drugs is a
        good thing
21:32 < srevilak> since the three of us are here, shall we talk shop
        for a bit?  Or, do you guys feel like we lack a quorum?
21:32 < js0000> no- it's time
21:32 < js0000> let's do the freakin meeting ... right?
21:32 < srevilak> Ok, starting at the top:
21:32 < srevilak> $80 charity disgorgement
21:33 < js0000> what's that?
21:33 < srevilak> Someone made a donation, but we discovered she didn't
        provide her real name
21:33 < js0000> so we need to give it back?
21:33 < js0000> i guess that's disgorgement ...
21:33 < srevilak> She won't accept it back; we'd have to give her a check,
        which would require her to give her real name
21:34 < js0000> jeez ...
21:34 < igel> pay to in cash?
21:34 < srevilak> this contributor asked us to donate to a charity for
        children, the homeless, or that benefits cancer research
21:34 < igel> (written on the check?)
21:35 < srevilak> igel: yes, we'd have to return the money by check.
        MA campaign finance laws
21:35 < srevilak> jokeefe found some potential charities, but I don't
        have list handy
21:35 < srevilak> I imagine we'll vote on it next week
21:35 < js0000> ok- that sounds good to me
21:36 < aquaticonions> Why did she give it to us if we were just supposed
        to pass the money on?
21:36 < js0000> it's the identity thing that is forcing us to pass it on
21:36 < srevilak> aquaticonions: AFAIK, this contributor didn't realize
        that political groups have to report their contributions
21:37 < js0000> should we make a PAC ... ?
21:37 < igel> hrm..
21:37 < js0000> isn't that how the GOP does it?
21:38 < srevilak> js0000: only PAC if someone is willing to bottom line
        the PAC
21:38 < srevilak> anyway, we'll probably talk more about it next week.
21:38 < js0000> right- they have billionaires ...
21:39 < srevilak> js0000: indeed they do
21:40 < srevilak> if no objections, moving on to task status
21:40 < srevilak> no updates on PirateCon videos that I'm aware of
21:40 < srevilak> MAAPL form work is progressing
21:40 < srevilak> Kendra has been working on newsletter
21:41 < srevilak> anyone interested in contributing a newsletter article?
21:42 < igel> may be? im not sure.. im really only focused on crypto
        stuff..
21:43 < js0000> i'll try to get something together too
21:43 < srevilak> igel: IMHO, a few short paragraphs on project meshnet
        could be cool
21:44 < igel> due date, roughly?
21:44 < igel> next week?
21:45 < srevilak> I think we were orginally shooting for end of August
        submission deadline, but I also think we're running behind
21:45 < srevilak> next week should be okay
21:45 < js0000> kendra was here earlier and does not seem to be now ...
21:45 < srevilak> she's travelling
21:46 < srevilak> likely spotty wifi or such
21:47 < igel> i might have to dip in the like 5 or so
21:47 < srevilak> igel: np
21:48 < js0000> i can put out some newsletter copies at brandeis
21:48 < srevilak> js0000: that'd be awesome
21:49 < srevilak> on related note, we have freedom rally coming up
        in Sept.  Probably need a flyer for that
21:49 < srevilak> I'll see if I can touch up last year's flyer from
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/2014_Media_and_Graphics
21:50 < igel> alright all
21:50 < igel> have a great night
21:51 < srevilak> you too igel
21:54 < srevilak> js0000, aquaticonions: we're close to time.  How would
        you feel about wrapping up a little early?
21:54 < js0000> no problem
21:54 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:54 < srevilak> 2nd?
21:54 < js0000> thx for running meeting- it took me a while to move my
        mind from thurs to mon
21:54 < js0000> second!
21:54 < srevilak> :)
21:55 < srevilak> catch you guys next week