February 20th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Decisions

Tasks & Events

  1. Support, Outreach & Finances
    1. Bitpay - srevilak
    2. Finance update
    3. Event checklist - Kendra?
  2. 2/23, Sunday, Phone bank, 2-4pm, Arlington
    1. blog post
    2. call scripts?
  3. Whistleblower Protest - Sat. Mar 8th, 1-3pm, Logan Airport, Terminal E.
    1. Logistics
    2. Outreach
      1. Blog Post
      2. Email
      3. Facebook event
      4. Tweets
    3. Press Release - srevilak
      1. Media List - jokeefe
      2. Friday PR - text & who will send
      3. Monday morning PR - text & who will send
    4. Flier design https://piratenpad.de/bpXgvjgG1N
    5. Signs - Done - js0000
    6. Recording & Photos
    7. Contingency plans & Legal paperwork
  4. March Cryptoparty
  5. 3/16, Sunday, St. Patrick's Day Veterans for Peace Parade, 3-5pm (Bluestreak)
  6. 3/21, Friday, Fundraiser, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge (Bluestreak)
    1. pad
    2. Blog Posts
      1. Fundraiser Call for Artists
      2. Event
    3. Artists
    4. Logistics
    5. Fliers - Need to give text to artist
  7. 3/25, Tues., Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access, 7-9pm, at Tufts University.
  8. 2014 Campaign
    1. Status - 1 definite candidate, 1 likely candidate, 5 possible candidates
    2. Training Video Status
    3. Voter registration app
    4. Set dates/locations for trainings - Feb, Mar
  9. September 2014 Conference - Need location & date

Upcoming Event List

  1. 2/24, 10am-5pm, DPU Hearing on Smart Meters, Hearing Room A, DPU, South Station, Summer Street, Boston, MA
  2. 3/1-3/2, Sat & Sun, Countersurveillance Hackathon, Center For Civic Media, MIT, Cambridge
  3. 3/5, 1-4pm, Transportation Committee Hearing on Drones and ALPR bills, State House, Hearing Room B2!
  4. 3/8, 1-3pm Whistleblower Protest, Logan Airport, Terminal E
  5. 3/16 VFP Peace Parade
  6. 3/22 - 3/23, LibrePlanet 2014 Conference, MIT, Cambridge, MA
  7. 3/25, Tues., Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access, 7-9pm, at Tufts University.
  8. 4/26, noon, Jobs Not Jails: Rally to End Mass Incarceration and Fund Job Creation, Boston Common

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • Joeguertin (Joseph Guertin, Bellingham)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • igel

Observers:

  • ageis
  • davidd
  • zby

Summary

Finances. On Friday, plan to drop off check to democracy center, for 3/21 fundraiser.

Phone banking. Bluestreak and Joe to call from Medway. The rest of us call from Arlington. Ask people to run for office, then ask for money. Need to determine base amount, kick up, kick down. Ask people to donate via web site. If they don't, mail pledge form as reminder. Jamie to work on call script.

Looking for performers for 3/21 fundraiser.

Meeting Minutes

20:50 < jokeefe> hi
20:50 < jokeefe> thanks for doing the notes srevilak
20:50 < srevilak> hi jokeefe 
20:51 < srevilak> np
20:53 < srevilak> hi Joeguertin 
20:53 < Joeguertin> Hi Srevilak
20:54 < jokeefe> hi joeguertin
20:54 < Joeguertin> Hi Jokeefe
21:00 < jokeefe> agenda - http://masspirates.org/wiki/February_20th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < Bluestreak> Sup?
21:02 < jokeefe> ahoy Bluestreak
21:02 < Bluestreak> ahoy!
21:02 < srevilak> hi Bluestreak 
21:02 < Bluestreak> Have we id'd yet?
21:03 < jokeefe> ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < Joeguertin> Joseph Guertin, Bellingham
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, arlington, MA
21:04 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:04 < jokeefe> 1. Support, Outreach & Finances
21:04 < jokeefe> srevilak?
21:05 < srevilak> haven't had a chance to look at bitpay.  Hopefully in next few days
21:05 < srevilak> Reconciled 2013 books with the bank statements
21:05 < jokeefe> thanks
21:05 < srevilak> Everything lines up, but we need to file amended report
21:05 < srevilak> Another project for next few days
21:06 < srevilak> going forward, would like to use gnucash for finance tracking
21:06 < srevilak> Perhaps set up a git repository where everyone can get to the books
21:06 < srevilak> Tomorrow, dropping off check to democracy center
21:06 < srevilak> and sending check to BORDC
21:06 < jokeefe> as long as we can limit who can check in
21:06 < jokeefe> thanks
21:07 < srevilak> jokeefe: was thinking of putting git repository on MF/PL servers.  Restrict commit access with SSH
21:07 < jokeefe> sounds good
21:07 < srevilak> gnucash data files are XML, so diffs actually tell you something about file revisions
21:08 < srevilak> also waiting for bluestreak to tell me where she bought arisia food :)
21:08 < Bluestreak> Erp
21:08 < Bluestreak> Jason *just* went to bed.
21:08 < Bluestreak> I was going to make him attend tonight!
21:08 < srevilak> no rush.  let me know sometime in the next few days
21:09 < Bluestreak> I was a bad pirate... instead of preparing for IRC, I have been working with Mike Cann.
21:09 < srevilak> balance after next two checks should be just shy of $300
21:09 < srevilak> end finance report stuff
21:09 < Bluestreak> The email that needed sending is sent though, so now I can give IRC my full attn
21:11 < jokeefe> great
21:12 < jokeefe> 2/23, Sunday, Phone bank, 2-4pm, Arlington
21:12 < Bluestreak> Jason had an idea about this.
21:12 < jokeefe> oh?
21:12 < Bluestreak> Is is possible for us to have the numbers for the ppl in our area?
21:12 < Bluestreak> So we can call from home?
21:13 < Bluestreak> We will call at the same time.
21:14 < jokeefe> sure
21:14 < Bluestreak> Cool.
21:14 < Bluestreak> Joe can join us in Medway or hike out to Arlington
21:14 < jokeefe> we can setup a jitsi video chat
21:14 < Bluestreak> Up 2 u Joeguertin
21:15 < Bluestreak> YES
21:15 < Bluestreak> I love technology
21:15 < Joeguertin> I'd probably just do medway since its a much easier commute
21:15 < Bluestreak> We'll get you pizza and beer.
21:15 < Bluestreak> :-D
21:15 < Bluestreak> WE HAVE JOE'S PAPERS!
21:15 < Joeguertin> That's a victory for everyone involved
21:15 < jokeefe> yay!
21:15 < srevilak> excellent.
21:16 < Bluestreak> We have to get people out here to help.
21:16 < srevilak> For phone banking, first ask is candidates, second ask is funds.  Correct?
21:16 < Bluestreak> We sure would appreciate some signature collection guidance, Captain.
21:16 < jokeefe> yes, will update the call script and get list of people to call
21:16 < srevilak> For funds, we should have a base level, then kick up and kick down amounts
21:17 < Bluestreak> Oh, can we ask ppl if they are willing to trek out to 8th Worcester to collect sigs?
21:17 < jokeefe> Bluestreak, dedicated effort, Joe should have videos ;-)
21:17 < jokeefe> will do
21:17 < Bluestreak> Will do what?
21:17 < Bluestreak> Ask, mentor, participate?
21:18 < jokeefe> ask them to help.  we don't have a lot of time in a call.
21:18 < srevilak> In terms of remitting money, we can't take cards over the phone.  I suppose we ask people to visit web site, or send in checks?
21:19 < jokeefe> ask them do donate via the website, a note it in call log.  we can followup with a letter
21:20 < srevilak> jokeefe.  sounds good.  If we can get them to agree to an amount, wait a few days for web donation.  If no donation, we mail them a "pledge form"
21:20 < srevilak> works for public radio :)
21:21 < jokeefe> agreed
21:22 < jokeefe> Whistleblower Protest - Sat. Mar 8th, 1-3pm, Logan Airport, Terminal E
21:22 < jokeefe> we have an image.  will get the post up
21:23 < jokeefe> with Facebook event.
21:23 < jokeefe> and email next week
21:23 < Bluestreak> You didn't like the one I sent you?
21:25 < jokeefe> no, I did.  that is the image I will use
21:28 < jokeefe> anyone have any further suggestions to the PR?
21:30 < jokeefe> or the flier
21:30 < srevilak> would one of you like to contribute a quote for press release?
21:31 < jokeefe> yes, but haven't written it yet
21:32 < Bluestreak> I'd like to see what you have Jamie... I will prolly have something to add...
21:32 < srevilak> jokeefe: :)
21:32 < Bluestreak> (I usually do!)
21:32 < jokeefe> will add it when I have it
21:32 < Bluestreak> Great, thanks!
21:32 < jokeefe> we also need a PR to send that is a short advisory
21:33 < Bluestreak> Not following
21:35 < jokeefe> we should send one a week or more ahead of the event with a summary where we will be and why
21:35 < Bluestreak> I'll let you do that.
21:36 < jokeefe> k
21:36 < srevilak> When we finish long press release, I can write shorter version.  If jokeefe doesn't beat me to it :)
21:37 < jokeefe> hopefully I will
21:37 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:38 < jokeefe> March Cryptoparty - do we have a location / time?
21:38 < Bluestreak> Sent an email to the list.
21:38 < srevilak> Spoke with Kendra earlier today, who was talking to IWW re: march cryptoparty
21:39 < Bluestreak> She's a lil busy right now though
21:39 < srevilak> she's going to put in me in touch with a few of their folks
21:39 < srevilak> Bluestreak: yes, that's why she's going to put me in touch with her contacts
21:39 < Bluestreak> Awesome Steve
21:39 < jokeefe> ok
21:39 < jokeefe> thanks you two
21:40 < jokeefe> 3/16, Sunday, St. Patrick's Day Veterans for Peace Parade, 3-5pm (Bluestreak)
21:40 < jokeefe> do we have a blog post?
21:42 < Bluestreak> By we you mean me?
21:43 < jokeefe> could be anyone
21:45 < Bluestreak> I don't know what to write!
21:45 < jokeefe> 3/21, Friday, Fundraiser, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge
21:45 < Bluestreak> Yes. I replied to K's email
21:45 < Bluestreak> Please read it, folks
21:46 < Bluestreak> All you need to know for now. Just put a plea out for performers on my FB page.
21:46 < Bluestreak> I was really hoping Daniel would perform :-(
21:46 < Bluestreak> Never heard from him
21:47 < jokeefe> do we have at least a DJ?
21:47 < Bluestreak> Um...
21:48 < igel> lo
21:48 < srevilak> hi igel 
21:48 < jokeefe> hi lgel
21:49 < igel> whats happenin?
21:49 < Bluestreak> You have any performer friends, Will?
21:49 < igel> sons of sam
21:50 < igel> *shrug*
21:51 < Bluestreak> Maybe Jamie could recruit some performers at the fundraiser Sat night?
21:53 < jokeefe> will see who I can ask
21:53 < Bluestreak> https://www.facebook.com/events/574246276000479/582288055196301/?notif_t=plan_mall_activity You going to this James?
21:54 < Bluestreak> I asked Positronic Dave and so far nothing
21:54 < jokeefe> maybe.  don't know
21:54 < Bluestreak> Chance is the only one willing to work for free
21:54 < jokeefe> well we need to figure out how much we are willing to pay if that is the case
21:54 < Bluestreak> Even the Capieora group wants a pitch as to why they shouldn't charge us $1K
21:55 < jokeefe> we can ask when we call this weekend.  possibly.
21:55 < Bluestreak> ONE THOUSAND
21:55 < Bluestreak> OK maybe...
21:55 < Bluestreak> i asked Chance to rustle up a DJ
21:55 < jokeefe> thank you
21:55 < Bluestreak> Chance hasn't let us down yet
21:55 < srevilak> Bluestreak: berklee college is a good place to ask.  They'll post gigs for students to take
21:55 < jokeefe> good idea
21:56 < Bluestreak> Hmm... Might have mentioned this to me sooner?
21:56 < jokeefe> unfortunately, I have to take care of a family member who is suddenly ill, I have to take off.  sorry
21:56 < Bluestreak> Oh no! Hoping for the best!
21:56 < srevilak> we're almost at time.  Motion to adjourn?
21:57 < Bluestreak> 2nd
21:57 < igel> are there minutes posted?
21:57 < srevilak> igel: will be posted shortly
21:57 < Bluestreak> we can work from the activist mailing list
21:57 < Bluestreak> Goodnight all!
21:57 < igel> ahh i was looking at the 21st,, 
21:57 < srevilak> http://masspirates.org/wiki/February_20th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:57 < Bluestreak> Thanks, srevilak
21:57 < igel> gnight
21:57 < Bluestreak> FAREWELL!