January 30th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Agenda

  1. Events To Plan
    1. 1/31 (Fri), 1pm, Inter-Continental Rally and March against the TPP, State House, 24 Beacon St, Boston
    2. 2/9, Cryptoparty, Northeastern Law School, Dockser Hall, Room 230 and the Moot Court Room. Planning/Logistics notes.
    3. 2/10, 6:30-8pm, Trans Pacific Partnership - Secrets Revealed (Sierra Club), Somerville Public Library
    4. 2/11, The Day we Fight Back, Call in to Congress about NSA surveillance
    5. 2/17 (Monday), Snowden, Manning & other whistleblowers Airport Protest
    6. March Cryptoparty
  2. Airport Protest
    1. When - 2/17, 1-3pm, Logan Airport, Terminal E
    2. Logistics
      1. PR - srevilak
      2. Media List - jokeefe
      3. Flier design https://piratenpad.de/bpXgvjgG1N
      4. Signs - js0000
  3. Support Outreach & Fundraising
    1. Bitpay
    2. Nation Builder
    3. Phone banking - Sun. 2/23 2-4pm, Arlington
    4. Pirate Party Fundraiser - Sat. 3/21, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge
      1. Artists
      2. Logistics
  4. Blog Posts
    1. Cryptoparty
    2. Airport Protest
    3. Phone bank
    4. Fundraiser
  5. 2014 Campaign
    1. Candidate Page - version up at http://masspirates.org/blog/candidates-wanted/
    2. Media List
    3. Mapping
    4. Voter registration app
    5. Training Video Status
    6. Set dates/locations for trainings - Feb, Mar
  6. 2014 Conference
    1. Location?
    2. Date - poll not sent. Perhaps September?
    3. Need info on it at Fundraiser so we can sell tickets
  7. Upcoming Event List
    1. 1/31 (Fri), 1pm, Inter-Continental Rally and March against the TPP, State House, 24 Beacon St, Boston
    2. 2/8, Boston Security Conference, Cambridge
    3. 2/9, Cryptoparty, Northeastern University
    4. 2/9, Somerville Pirate Party meeting. https://twitter.com/villepirates
    5. 2/11, The Day we Fight Back, Call in to Congress about NSA surveillance
    6. 2/17 (Monday), Snowden, Manning & other whistleblowers Airport Protest
    7. 2/23 2-4pm. Phone banking/fundraising.
    8. March Cryptoparty
    9. 3/16 (Sunday) Veterans for Peace Parade [1]
    10. 3/21 (Saturday), Pirate Party Fundraiser, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge
    11. 4/26, noon, Jobs Not Jails: Rally to End Mass Incarceration and Fund Job Creation, Boston Common

Participants

  • Igel
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • js0000
  • cjd

Observers:

  • ageis
  • davidd
  • zby

Summary

Planning for 2/17 protest. We'd like to issue a press release 1--2 weeks before, and approach media. Terminal E (International Arrivals) at Logan Airport. For now, planning on 1-3pm. Plan on wearing suits/nice attire. Low-key protest. Draft flyer copy: https://piratenpad.de/bpXgvjgG1N. js0000 to work on flyer. srevilak to work on press release.

Bitpay. Account set up, but they only take email address of donors. We'll need to do something in order to collect additional political donation information that we need. Perhaps wordpress's Visual Form Builder plugin.

Nationbuilder. Jokeefe has done some trial work. srevilak liked the way it was easy to create campaign-specific sites. js0000 will give it a try.

Pirate Conference. We discuss having the conference in September. Students will be back. We'll have time to focus on elections, and time to plan the conference.

Meeting Minutes

21:00 < Igel> lo
21:00 < srevilak> hi all
21:01 < srevilak> agenda here: http://masspirates.org/wiki/January_30th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:02 < Igel> lots eh
21:03 < srevilak> Igel: yes, busy season :)
21:03 < jokeefe> Sorry, BRB
21:06 < jokeefe> back
21:06 < jokeefe> ids, James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:09 < jokeefe> hi js0000
21:09 < js0000> hi
21:10 < jokeefe> agenda http://masspirates.org/wiki/January_30th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:10 < jokeefe> Who will be at the 1/31 anti-TPP rally tomorrow, 1pm, Boston Common?
21:11 < srevilak> not I, unfortunately.  Working
21:11 < Igel> negative
21:12 < jokeefe> I expect others will be there
21:13 < jokeefe> Anyway, bunch of events coming up
21:13 < jokeefe> Planning for 2/17 protest
21:13 < jokeefe> presidents day
21:14 < srevilak> do we want media outreach/press release in advance of 2/17?
21:14 < jokeefe> yes
21:14 < jokeefe> 2 weeks before
21:14 < jokeefe> or a week
21:14 < jokeefe> should finalize details by next meeting
21:14 < jokeefe> where, when, etc.
21:15 < srevilak> If we're waiting for snowden, I presume Logan's int'l terminal is appropriate
21:15 < jokeefe> yes
21:15 < srevilak> That's terminal E
21:16 < srevilak> How about 1-3pm?
21:18 < jokeefe> sounds good
21:18 < jokeefe> silent protest, since we are waiting for Snowden with signs.  I plan to wear a suit
21:19 < srevilak> I think that's a reasonable uniform.
21:20 < srevilak> The goal is low-key, correct?
21:20 < jokeefe> yes
21:21 < jokeefe> so we need a press release, pdf of whistleblowers names, 1 per page, banner, fliers
21:21 < jokeefe> though I think we need one that focuses on just whistle blowers
21:21 < srevilak> I think press release + 1 flyer would be sufficient
21:22 < js0000> i could do pdf
21:22 < jokeefe> flier - https://piratenpad.de/bpXgvjgG1N
21:22 < jokeefe> thanks, js0000
21:23 < srevilak> I'll try first draft at press release
21:23 < jokeefe> thanks,  Swarmwise has a good format
21:23 < srevilak> jokeefe: thx, will look at their format
21:24 < jokeefe> js0000 - Should include Snowden, Greenwald, laura poitras, john kiriakou, assange, Aaron Swartz, Jacob Applebaum
21:24 < jokeefe> any others you can think of
21:24 < js0000> ellsberg
21:25 < js0000> list is helpful, thx
21:25 < srevilak> js0000: sure, why not.  IMHO, where history has shown whistleblowers to be important, we can name them
21:25 < js0000> plz send any other  specification to me
21:26 < jokeefe> Well, Ellsberg is free and in the US
21:27 < jokeefe> kiriakou in jail, swartz dead, assange ...
21:29 < js0000> ok will generate pdf, send to pirate activists for comment
21:29 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:29 < jokeefe> 3. Support Outreach & Fundraising
21:30 < jokeefe> So Bitpay is up, but they only take down email addresses.  We need our own form to take down OCPF required info.
21:30 < jokeefe> Anyone know a free software form server/generator?
21:30 < srevilak> jokeefe: that's a bummer.  
21:30 < srevilak> jokeefe: drupal :)
21:30 < jokeefe> There are a bunch of storefronts they suggest, some free software
21:31 < jokeefe> yeah
21:31 < srevilak> I'm sure there's something for wordpress
21:31 < srevilak> Going to NYC for Mayfirst meeting this weekend.  Will check for recommendations
21:31 < jokeefe> http://wordpress.org/plugins/visual-form-builder/
21:32 < js0000> prolly better to use word press plug ib
21:32 < js0000> plug in
21:33 < jokeefe> would need to be conditional for somethings
21:33 < srevilak> I'll put visual-form-builder on my tinker list
21:33 < srevilak> unless one of you are itching to try it out
21:34 < jokeefe> how long to get civicrm up?
21:34 < js0000> not itching
21:34 < srevilak> haven't had time to look into civi this week.  Been busy every night
21:34 < srevilak> will try to kick civi's tires soon
21:35 < srevilak> maybe on bus ride to NYC
21:35 < jokeefe> understood
21:36 < jokeefe> srevilak, installed visual form builder
21:37 < jokeefe> activating got an error.  will send it to you and js0000
21:37 < jokeefe> though it seems active
21:37 < srevilak> send me error.  Will look at it
21:38 < srevilak> Heh.  https://civicrm.org/
21:39 < srevilak> 3rd picture from left is Jamie McClelland from Mayfirst :)
21:39 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:41 < jokeefe> Next - Nation Builder
21:41 < jokeefe> Played with it, but not a great deal
21:41 < js0000> 1st on left looks like jokeefe
21:42 < jokeefe> ;-)
21:42 < srevilak> I looked through nationbuilder, though I didn't create anything
21:42 < srevilak> seems very easy to create campaign-specific sites.
21:42 < js0000> will look at it over weekend
21:43 < jokeefe> thanks, will do as well
21:43 < jokeefe> hi cjd
21:43 < cjd> howdy
21:44 < jokeefe> Still have the plan to phone bank on Sun. 2/23 2-4pm, Arlington
21:44 < Igel> talking about campaign-specifi sites -- and yeah, accepting bitcoin donations + form for technicalities the state requires..
21:45 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes.  We should write phone scripts.  Fortunately, we still have time to do that
21:47 < jokeefe> yes
21:48 < jokeefe> On the Fundraiser, will ask Lucia & Kendra about who she knows will be performing.  Should get a quick schedule down.
21:48 < jokeefe> Need to get them a check, too
21:49 < jokeefe> So, one thing that Kendra, Steve and I talked about at the Issue meeting was pushing off PirateCon to September
21:51 < js0000> ok, for students?
21:52 < jokeefe> yes, better for college students.  would also give us more time to plan when we aren't trying to get candidates on the ballot
21:52 < jokeefe> or 2-3 months after our fundraiser
21:53 < js0000> is sept crunch time for elections?
21:54 < js0000> time for planning sounds good
21:55 < jokeefe> people start paying attention in Sept., but that gives candidates from May to August to get out there
21:56  * srevilak found sql gnat in wordpress.  In theory, should be better now
21:56 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:56 < jokeefe> so taking a day out to go to a conference should be ok, if there are some useful sessions
21:56 < jokeefe> though we can always do trainings at any time as needed
21:59 < jokeefe> does this seem reasonable?
21:59 < js0000> yes, thx
21:59 < Igel> for sure
22:00 < srevilak> september conference sounds good to me
22:01 < js0000> no update voter reg
22:01 < jokeefe> thanks for the update
22:01 < srevilak> js0000: If MA passes web reg, you may be off the hook :)
22:01 < srevilak> js0000: so go out there and lobby :)
22:01 < js0000> hahaja
22:01 < jokeefe> still will take them time to write it. ;-)
22:02 < js0000> work remains busy for me ...
22:03 < srevilak> Hopefully the state can find a better contractor than the one they used for their last few web projects
22:03 < jokeefe> yes
22:03 < srevilak> Time is 22:03.  Any more pressing issues?
22:03 < jokeefe> probably, but we are at time
22:03 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
22:03 < srevilak> second
22:04 < js0000> second
22:04 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:04 < srevilak> aye
22:04 < js0000> aye
22:04 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:04 < jokeefe> aye & thanks