March 10th, 2019 Boston Regional Meeting
From Mass Pirate Wiki
Main Ideas for Discussion
- What differentiates us from other parties/groups?
- What are we focusing on?
- Where are we going?
- How to we reach out to more people?
- How to run
What differentiates us from other parties/groups?
- Focused on personal privacy
- Tends to be defensive, though
- Counter are cryptoparties and other means to show people how to protect themselves
- People first
- Focused on democratic decision making
- Non-electoral efforts
- Mesh Networking
- Break light clinics
- Ask for other ideas at meetings/on-line
- Housing first
- everyone has a place to live, providing stability and improving state of mind
- not solely focusing on people who are homeless, but recognizing the increasing cost of housing
- Education reform (but not the neoliberal kind)
- Fix the infrastructure of our schools
- Use technology (only where needed?)
- Centering on student empowerment and help for students to succeed at what they are good at and support them where they have challenges
- Criminal justice
- reducing policing and incarceration
- Increasing harm reduction policies.
- Less punishment, more restorative justice
What would we implement in our first 100 days of achieving power?
- Citizen surveys of police and school systems and municipal government (13 and older)
- End solitary confinement
- Fair pay for fair work (even prisoners)
- Open government additions
- Removing exemptions of the open meeting law for all three branches of government
- Actual enforcement of open meeting law and FOIA
- All data paid for by the public should be on-line and machine readable/searchable (with personal privacy exceptions) That includes all branches of government
- No scanned documents without OCR
- All bills have to be voted on in committee
- All votes have to list who the individual votes
- Reduce the power of house speaker/senate president
- Remove legislative loopholes (no votes in out of session periods). Spell out limits on emergency sessions.
- Require bills only include content relevant to the original purpose of the bill
- Expand whistleblower protections (suggested after the meeting)
- Full decriminalization of private consensual activities and implement effective harm reduction strategies.
- Change the law to use IRV/RCV
- Fully fund the MBTA and all public transit systems
- Pass net neutrality bill
- Have a mock budget with taxes and spending
- Include money for energy conservation fund
- Solar credit?
- Close the fusion centers
- Stop any support for ICE and other related agencies. Prohibit county sheriffs from helping ICE
- Try to increase competition in oligopolies esp. media
- Promote training for creating cooperative operations and tomorrow’s leaders (e for all?)
What would we implement in our first year of achieving power?
- Restorative justice approach for minors
- Implementing changes based on survey results
- Within the first year exonerate and wipe records of all private consensual crimes
- Basic right education
- Fund the development of public transit in Mass.
- Development of high speed broadband in Mass.
- License requirement
- law students have to teach kids their rights
- psychology students to help homeless
- Expand financial decision making/responsibilities education
- Teaching labor rights and struggles
- Bring back home economics and food preparation
- Require state (MEMA) and municipalities do a climate change/storm risk assessment
- Must include food security, housing, transportation
What would we implement longer term?
- Decentralize federal/state government to county/regions and municipalities
- Reconstitute county governments to make them elected and able to solve regional problems
- Removal of laws that no longer apply especially if they are harmful to individual rights
- Expand the ballot initiative and direct democracy. Institute a people’s veto
- 7 people a1tended in all
- 6 activists, 2 supporters
- 6 people participated in the discussion, 1 person observed
- 6 men, 1 women
- 0 people of color