May 1st, 2018 IRC Meeting
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Statements In Process
- 5 Other To Dos
- 6 Upcoming Events
- 7 Participants
- 8 Summary
- 9 Minutes
Topics for next newsletter?
Week in review set for Sunday. What time?
Statements In Process
- MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
- US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
Other To Dos
Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:
- how to do basic labels in GIMP,
- work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
- similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.
- email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
- set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
- post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
- finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
- install slack alternative (jokeefe)
- 5/5-6, 9am-5:30pm, MassAlliance Grassroots Campaign Training, Greater Boston
- 5/9, Massachusetts Pirate Party 8th Anniversary
- 5/12, Mass MeshNet Hardware Hackathon, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
- 5/9, 6:30pm, A Crash Course in Digital Hygiene, Museum of Science
- 5/30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
- May, Cambridge Pirate Meetup
- May, Democracy/IT meeting. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the location
- May, Somerville Pirate Meetup
- 6/7, 6pm, Mass MeshNet General Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
- 6/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
- jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
- Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_1st,_2018_IRC_Meeting [9:07pm] jokeefe: ids [9:07pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville [9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell [9:08pm] jokeefe: anything to add? [9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Nay [9:09pm] jokeefe: Review [9:09pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparty [9:09pm] jokeefe: What did you think of it? [9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: It was interesting. I would have enjoyed learning more about my choice topic but I understood the other ladies concerns [9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: All in all it was an enjoyable experience. [9:12pm] jokeefe: good, will have to cover your choice topic. we could use one of the videos to cover it if you want. [9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: We already did I think, lol [9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Kind of. [9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Seems straight forward and legit. [9:14pm] jokeefe: ok [9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: Have we ever thought to try the crypto parties at schools? [9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: As a free service? [9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-become-a-guest-lecturer [9:17pm] jokeefe: We did the one at Tufts, but haven’t done one with high school students. [9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: I would think HS kids would need it more than higher education students. [9:18pm] jokeefe: agreed [9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/profiles/student.aspx?orgcode=02740505&orgtypecode=6 [9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry, ment to send this link [9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/general/general.aspx?topNavID=1&leftNavId=100&orgcode=02740505&orgtypecode=6 [9:20pm] jokeefe: A Somerville librarian suggested having it at the high school. hadn’t heard where it went. will follow up [9:23pm] jokeefe: MeshNet Effort [9:23pm] jokeefe: The tech meeting went well [9:23pm] jokeefe: Another is coming up. [9:24pm] jokeefe: making progress on the hardware [9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: I have some equipment I would like you to inspect. If it helps, perhaps we could add a node here in Lowell. [9:25pm] jokeefe: cool [9:25pm] jokeefe: there is a meeting on the 12th and likely others [9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: I will let you know when I have it available. [9:25pm] jokeefe: website is up at massmesh.org [9:25pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:27pm] jokeefe: Projects [9:28pm] jokeefe: Email newsletter - any items we should have in it? [9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Lets cover current topics over this last month for the first one. [9:29pm] jokeefe: for the video recording? [9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Not that we will run out of things to talk about I'm sure. [9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes [9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: Wrong topic? [9:30pm] jokeefe: next topic [9:30pm] jokeefe: anything for the email newsletter? [9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: ?Nay [9:32pm] jokeefe: what topics should we cover? [9:33pm] jokeefe: for the video [9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Trump and Kaynayaya [9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: ? [9:33pm] jokeefe: oh please no [9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: lol [9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Just current tech topics would be fine with me. [9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/04/researchers-show-how-to-turn-your-bedroom-into-a-computer/ [9:36pm] jokeefe: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/mark-zuckerberg-announces-facebook-dating/ [9:36pm] jokeefe: I weep [9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: omg, thats funny [9:38pm] jokeefe: emailed national party folks [9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: Nice, I hope everyone gets to attend. [9:39pm] jokeefe: hopefully [9:39pm] jokeefe: Party Conference - 6 responses so far [9:40pm] jokeefe: Pride Parade - Didn’t sign us up. There isn’t enough interest. [9:41pm] jokeefe: That is all I have updates for [9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry to hear that. Maybe we could send them a letter of support in the very least. [9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Let people know about it. [9:44pm] jokeefe: We can do that [9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: Thats all I have this evening sir. [9:47pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn then? [9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: I second [9:49pm] jokeefe: then we are done. Thanks. Will email about the video topics and time.