November 28th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Dec. 7th Net Neutrality Protests

On Dec. 7th various groups including Demand Progress and Fight for the Future are organizing protests outside Verizon stores. Boston Pirates suggest we endorse and turn people out to them.

Sec. 702 Update

Congress is debating whether to renew the law that allows the FBI and other agencies to conduct warrantless searches on Americans’ communications, Title VII of the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, which was renewed in 2012.

At the previous meeting, we agreed to oppose the:

  • FISA Amendments Reauthorization Act (S. 2012);
  • awful House-led USA Liberty Act and
  • inclusion of any 702 reauthorization provisions in an end-of-year omnibus spending bill.

Tonight we are reviewing whether to support the USA RIGHTS Act (H.R. 4124 / S. 1997). Warrantless.org has some info on this bill.

There's a longer explanation of the bills and what we should do at warrantless.org. Useful press coverage, a Reason summary and a useful reminder on the rhetoric from Marcy Wheeler.

Projects

Fundraiser

Planning for 2018 Elections & Organizing

Training schedule:

  • 12/9, Holyoke
  • January: Boston
  • February: Worcester

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

In 2018, towns decide when their elections are held, but most are held in the first half of the year. State & county elections are in November. What offices are up in 2018 is listed here. We have been asked to hold a town election training in Milford this year.

Nomination papers for federal/state/county elections are available in mid-February. State/county candidates have until the end of May to gather all of their signatures, while federal candidates have until the end of July. The number of signatures needed vary from 150 for State Rep. to 2000 for US House of Representatives.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Digital Right of Repair

Details. Making calls to volunteers and members.

Statements In Process

  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

  • 11/29, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 12/3, 7-8pm, Monthly Video Magazine Meeting
  • 12/10, 7-8pm, Monthly Video Magazine Meeting
  • 12/17, Chelsea Manning's Birthday
  • 12/17, 7-8pm, Monthly Video Magazine Meeting
  • 12/26, 7-8pm?, Recording Monthly Video Magazine
  • 12/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 1/3, 6-9pm, Cryptoparty at the Community WorcNight, Worcshop, 243 Stafford St, Worcester, MA 01603. registration

See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • BlackbeardsGhos: Adam Seaman, Southwick
  • hvxgr: Ahoy. Tom Rodman (Milwaukee WI), mostly observing
  • davidspicoli: Andrew Creighton Cortland, NY
  • Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
  • admech

Observers

  • igel

Summary

Endorsed the Dec 7th Net Neutrality / Verizon Protests. Will encourage members to organize events in their area and post video/pictures. Need to discuss locations at the next meeting.

Section 702: Endorsed the full expiration of Section 702, though we appreciate the positive steps in the USA RIGHTS Act.

Fundraising: jokeefe will email the list asking for people help with a fundraiser in Dec/January/February time frame. Email will suggest they contact Joe to help. We are exploring a dinner / dance and/or a sponsored hack-a-thon.

Campaign Trainings:

  • jokeefe will get invite out for 12/9 campaign training at Holyoke and FB event;
  • jokeefe is looking for location for the January training and has some leads;
  • jokeefe may have some other trainers who can help.

Possible item to discuss at the next meeting: the supreme court's hearing on cell location data

Minutes

 



[9:01pm] jokeefe: agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_28th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:01pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:02pm] BlackbeardsGhos: Adam Seaman, Southwick
[9:02pm] hvxgr: Ahoy. Tom Rodman (Milwaukee WI), mostly observing
[9:02pm] davidspicoli: Andrew Creighton Cortland
[9:02pm] davidspicoli: NY
[9:02pm] davidspicoli: observing
[9:03pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Anything to add ot the agenda?
[9:03pm] Joe: Nay
[9:04pm] Malt: crypto cafe at the worcshop next weds
[9:04pm] Malt: I've lost the URL for the website we use for mailers  so I haven't poked the locals about it
[9:05pm] jokeefe: thanks for the reminder. will mail flyers and buttons
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Dec. 7th Net Neutrality Protests
[9:05pm] Malt: I support 100%
[9:05pm] Joe: ^
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Organized by Fight for the Future.  So far, protests in Boston, Holyoke and elsewhere
[9:06pm] jokeefe: in MA
[9:06pm] Joe: Do you have a link?
[9:07pm] Malt: James, could you send me the outreach website? Verizon's got a building in Worcester, I can look into getting something together then
[9:07pm] jokeefe: http://verizonprotests.com/
[9:07pm] Joe: Thank you
[9:08pm] jokeefe: If you organize an event, email it out
[9:08pm] jokeefe: there is a link there
[9:08pm] jokeefe: So, endorse?
[9:08pm] Joe: Aye
[9:08pm] BlackbeardsGhos: aye
[9:09pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:09pm] jokeefe: any opposition?
[9:10pm] Malt: the pirate outreach website, sorry.
[9:10pm] Malt: i used it like once and lost track of it
[9:10pm] jokeefe: crew?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: https://masspirates.org/crew/user
[9:11pm] jokeefe: ok, motion passes
[9:11pm] jokeefe: will get the notice up on the blog and in the next email this week
[9:11pm] Malt: thank you, yes
[9:12pm] Malt: i misremembered it as being more complex
[9:12pm] jokeefe: no worries
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Sec. 702 Update
[9:12pm] davidspicoli left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:12pm] Joe: I already took the liberty to post it to my twitter and will retweet to the party
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Thanks.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Question is to USA RIGHTS Act: does it go far enough?
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Section 702 expiring would be good
[9:13pm] jokeefe: legislative analysis at https://warrantless.org/2017/11/section-702-thanksgiving-week/
[9:14pm] Joe: Yes, after further research, I would be very opposed to this bill.
[9:15pm] Malt: "his bill provides Americans the strongest protections from unwarranted federal surveillance, absent the expiration of Section 702. As such, the act has the support of a host of civil rights and privacy rights groups across the political spectrum, from the American Civil Liberties Union, to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored Pe
[9:15pm] Malt: ople, to the Campaign for Liberty, to FreedomWorks."
[9:15pm] Malt: It's better than the alternative, not as good as full expiration
[9:15pm] Joe: Sorry, I misunderstood. I am against 702.  I would be in favor of full expiration
[9:16pm] jokeefe: What about USA RIGHTS Act?
[9:16pm] Malt: that's the quote about Rights
[9:17pm] Malt: ACLU is a powerful endorsement. I still think a tack of "We support letting section 702 sunset without replacement, but RIGHTS is a good second choice, if the legislation MUST be reauthorized"
[9:17pm] jokeefe: thanks. Joe?
[9:18pm] BlackbeardsGhos: It's amazing were having this debate at all really. I support USA RIGHTS Act
[9:18pm] BlackbeardsGhos: EFF supports it too
[9:18pm] Joe: In general, still opposed since this bypasses most of the basic rights we have just because one would travel outside the US. We should be extending our protections, not limiting what our government is doing with the information it has already collected on us.
[9:18pm] Malt: there's a chance it doesn't get reauthorized, it seems.
[9:18pm] Malt: ^ agreed
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Likely a slim chance, sadly, even with Trump with access to the cookie jar.
[9:19pm] admech joined the chat room.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: ahoy admech
[9:19pm] admech: ahoy all
[9:19pm] jokeefe: on https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_28th,_2017_IRC_Meeting#Sec._702_Update
[9:20pm] jokeefe: updated the minutes
[9:20pm] Joe: I think there are still too many loop holes for me to feel comfortable about supporting this bill other than on the grounds that it is a step in the right direction.  However, it is a step in the right direction and perhaps that is the best we can hope for.
[9:21pm] Malt: we're the party of grim, determined pragmatism
[9:21pm] Joe: Something about baby steps?
[9:21pm] Malt: Issuing an informational advisory might be the better call
[9:22pm] Malt: let folks decide if they want to support Rights or a full sunset
[9:22pm] Malt: with the numbers to call and complain
[9:22pm] Malt: Copy a few paragraphs from some of the linked websites just for background info
[9:23pm] Joe: I am in full support of an information advisory. I can't support a bill for oversight on information they should not be acquiring in the first place without due process.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: hear you BlackbeardsGhos on USA RIGHTS Act, but my concern is it does not go far enough
[9:24pm] jokeefe: This is encouraging though: The USA RIGHTS Act would not allow the FBI, or any other government agency, to query the database using search terms relating to a US person, without a warrant. It would protect whistleblowers, end “about” searches, allow more lawsuits to be brought challenging NSA surveillance, give the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board subpoena power, and shorten the next sunset period to four years
[9:24pm] jokeefe: I am comfortable with Malt’s “We support letting section 702 sunset without replacement, but RIGHTS is a good second choice, if the legislation MUST be reauthorized”
[9:25pm] Malt: Pratchett wrote a lot about how laws can normalize intolerable behavior
[9:26pm] Joe: I know I come from libertarian background, so the whole matter rubs me the wrong way.  Understanding this I will be in full support of us either way we good.  I see good in both but still think this bill needs to be scrubbed.
[9:26pm] Malt: I definitely think that's what we're seeing here. trying to chain the dragon instead of lock it in its cave
[9:26pm] Malt: \
[9:26pm] Joe: we good = we go.
[9:26pm] BlackbeardsGhos: Support the full expiration of 702 while offering a positive tone on the USA RIGHTS Act saying we support the positive steps taken in it.
[9:26pm] Joe: ^
[9:26pm] Malt: aye!
[9:27pm] Joe: Aye
[9:27pm] BlackbeardsGhos: If this was 1999, there would be no debate about it, 702 wouldnt exist
[9:27pm] jokeefe: First choice is full expiration of 702, agreed
[9:27pm] admech: Aye.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Then we are in agreement?
[9:27pm] BlackbeardsGhos: aye
[9:27pm] Malt: aye
[9:27pm] Joe: Sorry if I went on a bit of a rant.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: It is an important issue
[9:28pm] jokeefe: subtle rant 
[9:28pm] Joe: lol
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Moving on to Fundraiser
[9:29pm] Joe: K
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Joe, what about emailing list asking for people help with a fundraiser in Dec/January/February? Should I point them to you?
[9:30pm] Joe: Yes
[9:30pm] jokeefe: ok, will add it to the email anc.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: anything else?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: on Fundraising?
[9:30pm] Joe: I would like to do a sponsored hack-a-thon event at a local makers space and also a pirate party dinner
[9:31pm] Joe: Though I have failed in reaching out to places for the dinner, I did speak with a few people whom would be interested in a hack-a-thon as a event where we could charge a door fee.
[9:32pm] Malt: James, did you get a chance to listen to my recording/
[9:32pm] Malt: ?
[9:32pm] Malt: not sure if i had the gain too high
[9:32pm] jokeefe: sorry, Malt. Will tonight and email it out for others to review
[9:32pm] Joe: Also, could I touch base with you quickly after the meeting via phone Jamie?
[9:32pm] jokeefe: dinner / dance would be good, Joe
[9:33pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Joe
[9:34pm] Joe: Yeah, the dinner would be best but figured a hack-a-thon would also be a nice new idea that could work too. I should have time Thursday morning to shore it up more then.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: willing to try if folks can make a donation hack-a-thon work
[9:34pm] davidspicoli joined the chat room.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: ahoy again
[9:35pm] davidspicoli: ahoy
[9:35pm] Joe: WB David
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Moving to Planning for 2018 Elections & Organizing
[9:35pm] davidspicoli: ty
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Getting invite out for 12/9 campaign training at Holyoke.
[9:36pm] Malt: was there a public event page for that?
[9:36pm] jokeefe: May have another trainer and a trainer in the area as well
[9:36pm] jokeefe: will get it up by tomorrow
[9:37pm] Malt: thanks, I got friends in the area been getting political lately
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Have some leads on location for Boston event
[9:38pm] Joe: Could we use those leads for a dinner/party as well?
[9:39pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:39pm] jokeefe: some
[9:39pm] Malt: i like the idea of a hackathon though
[9:40pm] jokeefe: BlackbeardsGhos, will you be able to make the Holyoke campaign training?
[9:40pm] Joe: My thoughts were to invite tech companies and colleges to sponsor it as well. 
[9:41pm] BlackbeardsGhos: we'll see, i'll be checking out the event page on FB
[9:41pm] jokeefe: will get that up too
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Joe, as long as we follow the campaign finance laws I am good
[9:42pm] Joe: Of course
[9:42pm] jokeefe:
[9:43pm] BlackbeardsGhos: i'd like to ask the crew a question if i could cap'n..
[9:43pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:43pm] BlackbeardsGhos: its sort of 2018 election related
[9:43pm] BlackbeardsGhos: on another note, i was renewed for a 2nd term on the southwick historical commission but wanted to ask you guys if i should resign or not because i rarely get to attend the meetings because of work.  Am i doing the town a disservice by staying on or should i resign?
[9:44pm] Malt: city commish seats are often hard to fill
[9:45pm] Joe: I would doubt you are doing the town a disservice.
[9:45pm] Joe: Let me retort with a question
[9:45pm] BlackbeardsGhos: they are 1 year terms..    its a small budget, dedicated folks, we don't even have enough people to fill out all the positions and the reason i was able to get on it in the 1st place was because they needed people and i was literally the only one who offered to take a spot
[9:46pm] Joe: Do you feel that your position on the commission is having the impact you want it to have?
[9:46pm] BlackbeardsGhos: in the last year i attended 3 maybe 4 meetings
[9:46pm] jokeefe: BlackbeardsGhos, can you ask for the meetings to be rescheduled so you can attend are there other members who are in your situation?
[9:46pm] Joe: Also good point Jamie
[9:48pm] BlackbeardsGhos: im not there enough to make an impact, i chose not to take responsibility for a job (Secy, treasurer, etc.) cause i knew my predicament.  i dont think i can ask for that, its not really in my power to ask it i dont think
[9:49pm] BlackbeardsGhos: id like to stay on, i want to but i dont want to be selfish either
[9:49pm] BlackbeardsGhos: but then again its not like people are knocking down their doors to join
[9:50pm] jokeefe: if there are spaces open, you aren’t keeping someone out who has more time. I think you should stay on if you want to
[9:50pm] Joe: A wise women once told me to do the best that you can. If you fall short then who can blame you, you did your best.  I feel the same way in this situation.  Do you best, if that is what you want to do.
[9:51pm] davidspicoli: I agree.
[9:51pm] Joe: To state that simply, I am sure they are grateful for the help and would be sad to lose you.  So try not to be so hard on yourself.
[9:51pm] BlackbeardsGhos: ok advice taken, floor is yours cap'n, thank you
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Video Update
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Don’t have skills yet to use community tv equipment.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: suggest we just improvise the first few. Got a video camera tripod and a banner we can hang behind Malt
[9:54pm] Joe: I almost have a portable set up again.  I will be getting a decent camera within the next month or so.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Let’s talk on the activists list and work out the details for the weekend
[9:54pm] Joe: Also, I have all the editing software for green screening so we can make the background whatever we want anyways
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Will send out Malt’s read through
[9:55pm] Joe: What was the time on it?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: great. got a green screen?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: haven’t picked a time. when we can make it
[9:56pm] Malt: my camera's hella old
[9:56pm] Joe: Not a real one, but my fancy tricks make my computer think I do
[9:56pm] jokeefe: works for me
[9:56pm] Malt: i can hang a blank sheet
[9:56pm] Joe: it's actually surprisingly easy with just a green sheet
[9:56pm] jokeefe: was think of green paint on foam board 
[9:57pm] jokeefe: sheet is way easier
[9:57pm] Joe: you need a constant color, that's the trick
[9:57pm] jokeefe: I don’t have anything else on the agenda. Anything you want added to next week’s meeting?
[9:57pm] Joe: I do
[9:57pm] jokeefe: probably can find a green sheet at Goodwill
[9:57pm] jokeefe: go for it
[9:57pm] Joe: or walmart
[9:58pm] Joe: I would like to add to next weeks agenda possible protest locations and reasons
[9:58pm] Joe: What I mean by this is places we should gather and stage a demonstration.
[9:58pm] Joe: It would be good for the YT channel too.
[9:59pm] admech: On that note, hopefully by next week I'll have an update on the 12/7 Net Neutrality actions
[9:59pm] jokeefe: agreed. could get video from multiple protests
[10:00pm] jokeefe: thanks, admech. I signed up for the Boston one
[10:00pm] jokeefe: haven’t heard back from the organizer
[10:00pm] admech: If we can get a camera up in Boston to 1. livestream and 2. get footage that would be useful.
[10:01pm] jokeefe: I can bring cameras and a tripod
[10:01pm] admech: yeah. The person listed as an organizer is FFTF staff and ?not local, so I'm assuming we can just organize on our own.
[10:01pm] Joe: Do those cameras have a way to hook them to a computer?
[10:02pm] admech: Joe: I was honestly just going to livestream from my phone.
[10:02pm] Joe: Well, that could work but......
[10:03pm] Joe: I'll start working on getting a solution to make our live streams much nicer to 'consume'
[10:03pm] jokeefe: admech, lets touch base with FFTF and offer to help organize
[10:04pm] Malt: this seems like a big upcoming deal, the supreme court's hearing on cell location data
[10:04pm] Malt: http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/11/the-supreme-courts-cell-phone-tracking-case-has-high-stakes.html
[10:04pm] jokeefe: agreed
[10:04pm] jokeefe: we are at time. shall we adjourn with a lot to do?
[10:04pm] admech: Agreed.
[10:05pm] BlackbeardsGhos: aye
[10:05pm] davidspicoli: aye]
[10:05pm] hvxgr: Agree/good night all.
[10:05pm] Joe: Aye
[10:05pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:05pm] Joe: Jamie, may I contact you.
[10:06pm] jokeefe: thanks all. I’ll post the minutes
[10:06pm] admech: Night all.
[10:06pm] Ross: good night
[10:06pm] BlackbeardsGhos: g'night everyone
[10:06pm] Ross left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[10:06pm] davidspicoli: night
[10:06pm] BlackbeardsGhos left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[10:06pm] Joe: Night
[10:06pm] davidspicoli left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[10:06pm] Malt: night
[10:06pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[10:07pm] admech left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)