April 10th, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:48, 10 April 2019 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Video Newsletter

Officer/Pirate Council Elections

Nominations are in. Upcoming dates:

  • Ballots sent out by 4/12
  • Ballot due by 4/23

Mesh Net

Cryptoparties

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Tech/Outreach

Meeting set for 4/13, 11am-1pm, Democracy/Test Meeting, 25 Moore St., Somerville

  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Election Campaigns

Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. There isn't a hearing date for it yet.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

Update Platform

CCTV camera map

Other To Dos

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Computer Donations

On hold - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 4/12, Ballots sent out
  • 4/13, 11am-1pm, Democracy/Test Meeting, 25 Moore St., Somerville
  • 4/16, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 4/23, Ballots due back for vote counting
  • 4/23, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 4/28, 4:30-7:30pm, Worcester-area Pirate Meetup, Worcshop, rear entrance, 1168, 233 Stafford St, Worcester
  • 4/30, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/7, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 5/14, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/18, 10:30am-1:45pm, Somerville-area Pirate Meetup, Somerville Public Library, 79 Highland Ave., Somerville
  • 5/23-26, European Parliamentary Elections, #VotePirate
  • late June, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Holyoke

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
  • igel[m]

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen
  • bonelesspepsi[m]

Summary

Minutes

 

[9:04pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_10th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:04pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: I would hope not, that's means you would have to keep track of everything.
[9:04pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:04pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Si
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Voter's choice
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.voterchoicema.org/
[9:06pm] DesmondRavenstone: Second that
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Where would you place it on the agenda?
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Want me to put it up there?
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Skipping to Decisions/Endorsements
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Voter Choice
[9:07pm] jokeefe: You have the floor Pirate_Joe
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: So we had members that supported this in the past
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: I remember my first engagement with the party was at PirateCon in Boston.
[9:09pm] jokeefe: We support RCV/STV/IRV
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: On my panel someone discussed this in great detail, however, I have not heard about it since.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: They are doing good things.
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: I think it's time we reach out to them again and not only continue our support but use this as a recruitment tactic.
[9:10pm] DesmondRavenstone: Maybe Pirate_Joe could reach out as a liaison from MAPP; not sure if other alternative parties have done the same
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: I am sure they are, but we have a strong stance on a great deal many topics.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: They asked for our assistance, but we are pretty tapped focusing on our specific issues which is why we haven’t pursued it further. If you wanted to reach out to them, Pirate_Joe that would be great.
[9:12pm] DesmondRavenstone: Agreed
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: All in favor?
[9:13pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Then with your blessing, I'll do just that.
[9:13pm] DesmondRavenstone:
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: I know I need to get to reaching out to our German counterparts tomorrow anyways.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Thank you
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Moving on to Projects
[9:15pm] jokeefe: if there is nothing else to discuss on this topic?
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: We made a decision, so Aye.
[9:17pm] DesmondRavenstone: ...
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings - Worcester and Somerville are scheduled. I’ll be reaching out to some local Pirates to see if we can call people in the area and maybe drop them letters in the mail or at people’s doors and do some more advertising
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Following up on Holyoke for June
[9:18pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone - Any update on folks in Boston meeting again?
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: Have not had a chance to touch base with Joe Thornton, or do anything else. Also will be away 4/13-21 so will have to wait until after then
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Ok. Thanks.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - Sunday 8pm?
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Recording that is
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: Sounds good
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Great
[9:22pm] DesmondRavenstone left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:23pm] jokeefe: What topic(s) should we discuss?
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: A recap of the year this far. We just finished the first quarter already.
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: *thus
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Next steps in our planning for the year. Getting ready for elections
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Both for Pirate and Locals
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Etfc
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: Etc.
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Sounds good
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Speaking of
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Officer/Pirate Council Elections
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Anything else we should discuss?
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Net Neutrality vote
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: That sounds good.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: House banning IRS from making a free app for people to file their taxes with
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Neal is in charge of that committee
[9:27pm] jokeefe: bill reining in patriot act
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Too many people making money on that front I'm afraid
[9:28pm] jokeefe: state troopers scanning the license plates of everyone who crossed the bridges to the Cape
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: There are a lot of other camping spots for them too
[9:30pm] jokeefe: yeah
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Officer/Pirate Council Elections
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Mind if I throw in something completely off topic?
[9:31pm] jokeefe: after this topic
[9:32pm] jokeefe: We have five candidates for a variety of offices
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Setup the form and reached out to srevilak about the way of generating tokens to email supporters
[9:33pm] jokeefe: I have to update the form with the latest data
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Planning to get this out by the 12th, but may need to slip to the 13th and finish it at our tech meeting.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: hopefully not
[9:34pm] jokeefe: that is all for that topic. what is your new topic?
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Just something completely random, Apparently a guy in a pirate outfit wearing a MAGA hat slashed someone with a sword.
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJTER33hLOI
[9:35pm] jokeefe: o k
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: It was really off topic
[9:36pm] jokeefe: In other news: https://twitter.com/megglevene/status/1115760748473540608
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Can you provide any comment on the appearance of the Pirate 🏴‍☠️ Flag at #BrooklineTownMeeting
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: No, but I support it
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: That's a good idea, we can start leaving flags at Townmeetings
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: But that would be expensive.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:38pm] jokeefe: We could take the flags back after the meetings
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: Maybe do paper flags, with contact info. 
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: Going back to elections for a moment, do we have a nice range of positions filled?
[9:39pm] jokeefe:
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Yes. All the main positions and two more council positions
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: That's all I have for tonight, I have had a busy week.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Mesh Net - They setup a node in the Back Bay of Boston - https://massmesh.github.io/blog/installation/lime/cjdns/2019/04/09/first-install.html
[9:43pm] jokeefe: The only other thing I have an update for is Tech/Outreach - We have a meeting Saturday. Announced it in email. Post goes up tomorrow.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Will send a reminder to the lists
[9:44pm] jokeefe: I don’t have any more updates
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: Motion to Adjourn?
[9:45pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[9:45pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:46pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:46pm] jokeefe: have a good night
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: Good night sir, I still have quite a bit to do before I get to bed.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: may it all go well
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: lol, I'll be ok