Difference between revisions of "April 24th, 2019 IRC Meeting"

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 115: Line 115:
 
== Summary ==
 
== Summary ==
  
* Agreed to support the Stop & Shop Strikers. jokeefe will ask Moses to write a statement
 
* Will record the next pirate news show on Sunday, 8pm.
 
* Agreed to push the date that ballot are due back two days to 4/27.
 
  
  

Latest revision as of 21:53, 29 May 2019

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

John Sullivan

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Video Newsletter

Non-pirate guest speakers

Sargon of Akkad
Bearing
  • Latest pirate news is up
  • Next pirate news recording?
  • Make a video supporting the European Pirates in the upcoming EU election?

Officer/Pirate Council Elections

Due date is 4/25.

Will schedule a follow up meeting with new elected folks and volunteers.

Mesh Net

Cryptoparties

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Tech/Outreach

  • need to schedule a May meeting
  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Election Campaigns

Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. There isn't a hearing date for it yet.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

Update Platform

CCTV camera map

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Computer Donations

On hold - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 4/25, Ballots due back for vote counting
  • 4/28, 4:30-7:30pm, Worcester-area Pirate Meetup, Worcshop, rear entrance, 1168, 233 Stafford St, Worcester
  • 4/30, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/7, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 5/14, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/18, 10:30am-1:45pm, Somerville-area Pirate Meetup, Somerville Public Library, 79 Highland Ave., Somerville
  • 5/21, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/23-26, European Parliamentary Elections, #VotePirate
  • 5/28, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/4, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/22, 11am-4pm, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • malt: sam capradae, worcester

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • igel[m]
  • hvxgr
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen
  • bonelesspepsi[m]
  • 0FRAAAAC8

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:02pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_24th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahoy
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:03pm] malt: sam capradae, worcester
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:03pm] malt: nyet
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Already did
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:05pm] jokeefe: John Sullivan
[9:05pm] jokeefe: You want to introduce, Pirate_Joe?
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Sure, this is what he sent me.
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: "Hello, my name is John Sullivan, Discord Director in Senator Mike Gravel's presidential campaign. We are looking for endorsements by parties like your own because we think your party and ours have a lot in common. The Senator was the first Democratic Presidential candidate to denounce the arrest of Julian Assange, we're totally in favor of absolvi
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: ng all whistleblowers of crimes we don't believe should exist, we believe that only real change will come through direct democracy, which is why we support a National Initiative, and we're opposed to all imperialist, interventionist wars including the wars we're fighting at home, like the war on drugs.
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: We at the campaign would love to get in touch with you, if you'd like to contact me directly, you can email me at this address, jlsully04@gmail.com or call my cell at 347-804-7588. We can organize a meeting between yourselves and some of the leaders of our campaign. Thanks for your time, have a nice day."
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: I wrote....
[9:06pm] malt: mike gravel, that name rings a bell
[9:06pm] jokeefe: so what are you proposing?
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: We played phone tag all day.
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: I told him I was intrigued.  I'll hear what he has to say
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ok, anything else?
[9:07pm] malt: oh right, he ended up running as a libertarian before dropping out to sell cannabis products
[9:07pm] malt: i like his policies though
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, he's trying again it seems and would like us to back him.
[9:08pm] malt: i'm for it, doubt bernie or warren would court us
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: I'll see what they are asking of us and will bring it before you via info@masspirates.org as well as the national committee
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: O yeah, I got another this to add.
[9:09pm] jokeefe: please bring it up to activists list so more people can discuss it. thanks
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: Sounds good
[9:10pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings - How are we for Worcester, malt?
[9:10pm] malt: i'll bring snacks
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: List updated
[9:11pm] malt: what will we need for space setup?
[9:11pm] malt: i haven't emailed civicrm yet
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Do they have a projector?
[9:11pm] malt: pretty sure
[9:12pm] jokeefe: will you be able to get an email out soon to worcester pirates, malt?
[9:13pm] malt: i think i have the url saved
[9:14pm] jokeefe: contact me if you need any help
[9:14pm] malt: if you could send me an email i guess i lost my bookmarks?
[9:14pm] jokeefe: will do
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Will start advertising the Somerville meetup soon
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Holyoke is scheduled for June 22nd
[9:17pm] malt: neat
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: When do you want to do the next one?
[9:17pm] jokeefe: We recorded one last Sunday, but I haven’t had time to post it. Will get it up by tomorrow.
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Want to keep doing them on Sunday?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: When works for you two?
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Sunday evenings are great
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: Moving on
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: I reached out to Sargon of Akkad, aka Carl B. to invite him for a debate
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: The plan was to schedule a time for Malt and myself to speak with him.
[9:20pm] malt: that dude is such a putz
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, the plan is to engage him in a civilized conversation.
[9:21pm] malt: debate doesn't defeat fascists
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: Neither does name calling.  It does no good to fall to old troupes.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: I would prefer to highlight people and ideas we support.
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: Listen to them on the topics the go on, they dance around the issues.
[9:23pm] malt: the dude is pretty open in his white supremacy
[9:23pm] malt: and, yeah, i don't see how this would advantage us
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: We got people to like and comment in our value when I was on one of my ghost profiles.
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: I have a plan to explain how their actions diminish human dignity. We can go in to it at length if you like or wait until we have a debate set up.  Trust me, I will prep you for this.
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: But I'm looking to pull more liberal minds to our cause, Carl is a major target if this is to be done.
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Plus he does agree on our points for the internet, such as net neutrally and anti-censorship. All great talking points.
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: We proper control, we can swap a lot of people.
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: swap = sway
[9:27pm] malt: i'm not convinced
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Welp, you did say that you would debate him if given an opportunity, correct?
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: And now that he has stepped in to the political arena, it is our duty to come forth to challenge him.
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: It will have the added affect of shining a huge spotlight on us as well.  Even if we lose, we will win.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: I prefer to win. Why don’t we talk about it on the activists list. Would be productive to discuss other people to have on as well if we are going to interview non-pirates
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: I do not mind tabling the idea but let us return to it soon as to not miss a good opportunity.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Let’s table and discuss over email then.
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Motion tabled
[9:33pm] jokeefe: The Worcester meetup is 4:30-7:30pm on Sunday. Could we record something then?
[9:33pm] jokeefe: just standard Pirate News segment
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Lets do an announcement piece, then a separate video on a second issue.
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: That way both videos are shorter
[9:34pm] malt: don't see why not
[9:34pm] jokeefe: great
[9:34pm] jokeefe: anything else about videos?
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Did you want to pick out the next topic while we are here?
[9:36pm] jokeefe: let’s figure it out there.
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok, thank you.
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Anything else on on this topic?
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Not at this time, updating the meeting topics and other todos
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Officer/Pirate Council Elections - will check the votes tomorrow. They are due Thursday by 12:01 am
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe:
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: So next meeting or via email?
[9:41pm] jokeefe: After it, will invite candidates/volunteers to the meetups.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: I’ll announce the results over email.
[9:41pm] malt: nice
[9:41pm] jokeefe: MassMesh has a blog - https://massmesh.org/blog
[9:44pm] jokeefe: There is Chelsea Manning stand out tomorrow and heard of another one on May 3rd
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.occupyboston.org/2019/04/13/stand-out-for-chelsea-manning/
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Here is the 4/25 event - https://www.facebook.com/events/307893013239380/
[9:47pm] malt: that would be a good subject for a video
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Agreed
[9:48pm] Pirate_Joe: Unfortunately I will not be able to attend, could one of you do it and record it?
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Sure. We can keep it short.
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparties - Have one at the Boston Public Library teen room in early May. Looking forward to it.
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: I meant going to Copley Square tomorrow.
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Will see what I can do.
[9:50pm] Pirate_Joe:
[9:50pm] Pirate_Joe: Your the best!
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Was going to at least take pictures. Could try recording some video as well.
[9:50pm] malt: don't think i'll make that event
[9:50pm] Pirate_Joe: If you could get an interview that would be huge!
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Boston Sex Worker Petition is at 157. Will email about where we want to go with it.
[9:55pm] jokeefe: that is all I have.
[9:55pm] malt: aye
[9:55pm] jokeefe: anything else?
[9:55pm] malt: email me the civicrm link and i'll get a message out tonight
[9:55pm] jokeefe: will do thanks
[9:56pm] Pirate_Joe: Are there any projects we should table?
[9:57pm] jokeefe: No date for the hearing for the making the Film Credit Permanent bills
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: Also, should we make a header for tabled topics?
[9:58pm] jokeefe: I think we can put the CCTV camera map project on the back burner
[9:58pm] jokeefe: let’s reassess next week
[9:58pm] jokeefe: for the others
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: I call for a vote on added the topic "Tabled" to our agenda so we can keep track of these things.
[9:59pm] jokeefe: how about changing Other To Dos to Tabled Projects
[9:59pm] malt: that seems simple enough
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: Fair enough
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: I'll do it
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Thanks
[10:00pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn?
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: 2nd
[10:00pm] malt: ok
[10:00pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: aye
[10:00pm] malt: night friends, see you sunday
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Si
[10:00pm] jokeefe: thanks. good night
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: good night
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)