Difference between revisions of "August 11th, 2021 IRC Meeting"

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
(6 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
== Review ==
 
== Review ==
 +
 +
=== Camera mapping outing ===
  
 
== Decisions/Endorsements ==
 
== Decisions/Endorsements ==
Line 37: Line 39:
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
  
* jokeefe
+
* jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
* srevilak
+
* srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
 +
* malt (sam capradae, worcester)
  
 
=== Observers ===
 
=== Observers ===
Line 48: Line 51:
 
== Summary ==
 
== Summary ==
  
Worked on Elections and Voting plank: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/ElectionsAndVoting. Will vote next meeting.
+
Review - Camera mapping.
 +
* went well. Mapped 160+ cameras
  
Pirate News, Sunday, 7:30pm
+
Platform - Elections and voting
 +
* https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/ElectionsAndVoting
 +
* srevilak suggests https://open.bu.edu/handle/2144/34276, "Who participates in local government" as an example of who's represented in local governments.  (The research is MA-specific)
 +
* jokeefe suggests https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1569472.The_Vermont_Papers for ideas on devolution
  
 
== Minutes ==
 
== Minutes ==
  
 
   <nowiki>
 
   <nowiki>
 
+
21:05 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
 
+
      https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_11th,_2021_IRC_Meeting
 
+
21:06 <@jokeefe> ids
 +
21:06 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
 +
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
 +
21:07 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
 +
21:07 < malt> allo allo
 +
21:07 < srevilak> hi malt
 +
21:07 <@jokeefe> ahoy
 +
21:08 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
 +
      https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_11th,_2021_IRC_Meeting
 +
21:08 <@jokeefe> we already started ids
 +
21:08 < malt> sam capradae, worcester
 +
21:09 <@jokeefe> Review
 +
21:09 <@jokeefe> Camera mapping outing
 +
21:09 < malt> how'd it go?
 +
21:10 <@jokeefe> well
 +
21:10 <@jokeefe> map is updated
 +
21:11 < srevilak>
 +
      https://cctv.masspirates.org/?lat=42.3601&lon=-71.0589&zoom=11
 +
21:11 < srevilak> looks good
 +
21:12 < malt> whoa!
 +
21:12 < malt> y'all found a lot, huh
 +
21:12 <@jokeefe> 160+
 +
21:14 <@jokeefe> I’ll create a page for tips on running one
 +
21:16 <@jokeefe> one idea was how to divide up the work, such as how
 +
      two people can split up a building so they cover it effectively
 +
21:16 < srevilak> With the number on the courhouse, I could see how two
 +
      people would make the job go faster
 +
21:17 < malt> yeah they always have such ridiculosly redundant clusters
 +
21:17 < malt> its the same in worcester
 +
21:18 < malt> btw scott brown quit his job after less than a year and
 +
      is gonna go back to politics
 +
21:19 < srevilak> Wait, what was his job?
 +
21:19 <@jokeefe> senator
 +
21:20 <@jokeefe> It was really a good time. More people next time.
 +
21:21 <@jokeefe> looking forward to writing the post about it
 +
21:21 < malt> he was the head of a lawyer's association
 +
21:23 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
 +
21:23 <@jokeefe> Platform
 +
21:23 <@jokeefe>
 +
      https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/ElectionsAndVoting
 +
21:28 <@jokeefe> <editing ensues/>
 +
21:31 < srevilak> I like the idea of bringing back county goverments,
 +
      because there are many challenges that are best addressed at a regional
 +
      level.  I do have some concerns about putting more power in the hands
 +
      of muni goverments.
 +
21:32 < srevilak> Town meetings are the closest we have to direct
 +
      democracy, but they also limit who can participate
 +
21:32 < srevilak> And townies like to externalize perceived negatives
 +
      as much as any corporation
 +
21:33 < srevilak> With more power, there has to be more responsibility
 +
      to meet regional goals (at least)
 +
21:33 <@jokeefe> Hopefully regions would counteract that, but feel free
 +
      to add that concern when thinking about devolving power
 +
21:34 <@jokeefe> we talk about making election day a holiday, perhaps
 +
      town meeting days should also be holidays
 +
21:35 < malt> more bread! more circus!
 +
21:38 < malt> Can we combine land doesn't vote/ranked choice voting?
 +
21:38 < malt> maybe "abolish the senate, institute ranked choice voting?
 +
21:39 <@jokeefe> that sounds good
 +
21:39 <@jokeefe> Recommend reading
 +
      https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1569472.The_Vermont_Papers for some
 +
      ideas on devolution
 +
21:40 < malt> i think i still have a paper copy of the vermont succession
 +
      handbook
 +
21:51 <@jokeefe> made some changes to the first section. what do you
 +
      think?
 +
21:53 < malt> mmm the last two sentences can be more concise
 +
21:54 < malt> "localities must work together to protect their natural
 +
      resources against exploitation?
 +
21:54 < malt> \
 +
21:56 <@jokeefe> examples can be good. will defer to srevilak since he
 +
      raised these concernts
 +
21:59 < srevilak> Whoever redid 0, nice job.  I like it!
 +
21:59 < malt> well, if he's good with it i'm good with it
 +
21:59 < srevilak> I added one last sentence
 +
22:00 < srevilak> shall we call it a night?
 +
22:01 <@jokeefe> sure. I am working on a No Taxation Without
 +
      Representation - immigrants should have the right to vote section
 +
22:01 <@jokeefe> Let’s pick it up next time. Thanks for the great edits!
 +
22:02 <@jokeefe> all in favor of adjourning?
 +
22:02 < srevilak> aye
 +
22:02 < srevilak> will post transcript
 
</nowiki>
 
</nowiki>

Latest revision as of 21:04, 11 August 2021

Review

Camera mapping outing

Decisions/Endorsements

Platform

Planks: https://github.com/masspirates/planks

Working on Elections and Voting plank: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/ElectionsAndVoting

Projects

Legislation

Outreach

Leader: Malt

  • Setup local video meetups by region with people who said they were interested in organizing a local chapter
  • Organize candidate trainings

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Pirate news recording scheduled for Sundays, 7pm with go-live at 7:30pm. Unless changed

Trans Advocacy Telethon

Other To Do

  • Application to PPI

Upcoming On-line Events

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • malt (sam capradae, worcester)

Observers

  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • slerman

Summary

Review - Camera mapping.

  • went well. Mapped 160+ cameras

Platform - Elections and voting

Minutes

 
21:05 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_11th,_2021_IRC_Meeting
21:06 <@jokeefe> ids
21:06 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:06 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:07 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
21:07 < malt> allo allo
21:07 < srevilak> hi malt
21:07 <@jokeefe> ahoy
21:08 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_11th,_2021_IRC_Meeting
21:08 <@jokeefe> we already started ids
21:08 < malt> sam capradae, worcester
21:09 <@jokeefe> Review
21:09 <@jokeefe> Camera mapping outing
21:09 < malt> how'd it go?
21:10 <@jokeefe> well
21:10 <@jokeefe> map is updated
21:11 < srevilak>
       https://cctv.masspirates.org/?lat=42.3601&lon=-71.0589&zoom=11
21:11 < srevilak> looks good
21:12 < malt> whoa!
21:12 < malt> y'all found a lot, huh
21:12 <@jokeefe> 160+
21:14 <@jokeefe> I’ll create a page for tips on running one
21:16 <@jokeefe> one idea was how to divide up the work, such as how
       two people can split up a building so they cover it effectively
21:16 < srevilak> With the number on the courhouse, I could see how two
       people would make the job go faster
21:17 < malt> yeah they always have such ridiculosly redundant clusters
21:17 < malt> its the same in worcester
21:18 < malt> btw scott brown quit his job after less than a year and
       is gonna go back to politics
21:19 < srevilak> Wait, what was his job?
21:19 <@jokeefe> senator
21:20 <@jokeefe> It was really a good time. More people next time.
21:21 <@jokeefe> looking forward to writing the post about it
21:21 < malt> he was the head of a lawyer's association
21:23 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:23 <@jokeefe> Platform
21:23 <@jokeefe>
       https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/ElectionsAndVoting
21:28 <@jokeefe> <editing ensues/>
21:31 < srevilak> I like the idea of bringing back county goverments,
       because there are many challenges that are best addressed at a regional
       level.  I do have some concerns about putting more power in the hands
       of muni goverments.
21:32 < srevilak> Town meetings are the closest we have to direct
       democracy, but they also limit who can participate
21:32 < srevilak> And townies like to externalize perceived negatives
       as much as any corporation
21:33 < srevilak> With more power, there has to be more responsibility
       to meet regional goals (at least)
21:33 <@jokeefe> Hopefully regions would counteract that, but feel free
       to add that concern when thinking about devolving power
21:34 <@jokeefe> we talk about making election day a holiday, perhaps
       town meeting days should also be holidays
21:35 < malt> more bread! more circus!
21:38 < malt> Can we combine land doesn't vote/ranked choice voting?
21:38 < malt> maybe "abolish the senate, institute ranked choice voting?
21:39 <@jokeefe> that sounds good
21:39 <@jokeefe> Recommend reading
       https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1569472.The_Vermont_Papers for some
       ideas on devolution
21:40 < malt> i think i still have a paper copy of the vermont succession
       handbook
21:51 <@jokeefe> made some changes to the first section. what do you
       think?
21:53 < malt> mmm the last two sentences can be more concise
21:54 < malt> "localities must work together to protect their natural
       resources against exploitation?
21:54 < malt> \
21:56 <@jokeefe> examples can be good. will defer to srevilak since he
       raised these concernts
21:59 < srevilak> Whoever redid 0, nice job.  I like it!
21:59 < malt> well, if he's good with it i'm good with it
21:59 < srevilak> I added one last sentence
22:00 < srevilak> shall we call it a night?
22:01 <@jokeefe> sure. I am working on a No Taxation Without
       Representation - immigrants should have the right to vote section
22:01 <@jokeefe> Let’s pick it up next time. Thanks for the great edits!
22:02 <@jokeefe> all in favor of adjourning?
22:02 < srevilak> aye
22:02 < srevilak> will post transcript