Difference between revisions of "August 7th, 2019 IRC Meeting"

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
Line 107: Line 107:
 
* Malt  
 
* Malt  
 
* srevilak
 
* srevilak
 +
* igel[m] - william fleurant, arlington
  
 
=== Observers ===
 
=== Observers ===

Revision as of 22:11, 7 August 2019

Review

Congress of Corrections Protest

Decisions/Endorsements

Formation of the National party

Boston's Operation Cleansweep

Last night Boston PD forced homeless from a place they were camping, confiscated their stuff and crushed it in garbage trucks. People lost their wheel chairs, bags and possibly medicine. See:

Make a statement supporting the 4th Amendment rights of the homeless and the need for ending homelessness?

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Leader:

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

July 13th Meeting

  • srevilak updated blog theme. jokeefe and srevilak corrected any items that were wrong as a result of the update;
  • jokeefe updated our Riot/Matrix client to the latest stable version. Started work on a splash page for discuss.masspirates.org.
  • srevilak & jokeefe tested camera / microphone setup and figured out that the reason the recording was so soft in the video we took at the Pirate Planning Picnic was that the speakers were too far away from the microphones.

jokeefe noticed that our CCTV camera map no longer shows the locations of cameras. Fixed.

Next meeting will be August 10th. Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Tasks

Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. jokeefe will submit testimony.

National Platform reform/remake

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 8/10, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Arlington
  • 8/13, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  • 8/20, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 8/24, Lowell Pirate Picnic, Lowell
  • 8/27, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 8/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts
  •  ?, ?, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke
  • 9/3, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
  • 9/10, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe
  • Pirate_Joe
  • Malt
  • srevilak
  • igel[m] - william fleurant, arlington

Observers

  • bonelesspepsi
  • davidd
  • hvxgr
  • MikaelaSuomalainen
  • mikey

Summary

Steve provides summary of American Correctional Association demonstration in Copley Square.

Straight Pride counter demonstration on Aug 31st. See https://www.facebook.com/events/2233546250067653. Currently planned for 11:00 am on Aug 31st, somewhere around Copley Square.

Still working out organization of national party. Several states are interested in participating.

Boston's Operation Cleansweep. Last night, BPD cleared a homeless encampment. Most of their belongings were thrown into a trash truck. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBYn-N7XYAA6uVr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096 has a picture of trash truck, with a wheelchair sticking out. News story: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2019/08/07/operation-clean-sweep-wheelchairs/. Another take here: https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/08/07/south-bay-crackdown-raises-concerns/. Malt will draft statement.

Minutes

 
21:04 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_7th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
21:04 <@jokeefe> ids
21:04 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < Pirate_Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:04 <@jokeefe> Anything to add/remove?
21:05 < igel[m]> william fleurant, arlington
21:05 < Pirate_Joe> Aye
21:05 < Pirate_Joe> Formation of the National party under
        Decisions/Endorsements
21:06 <@jokeefe> ok
21:06 <@jokeefe> Review
21:07 <@jokeefe> Congress of Corrections Protest
21:07 <@jokeefe> how did it go?
21:08 < srevilak> Desmond was the only other pirate I saw at the event
21:08 < srevilak> when I arrived, a group of `pro prison' counter
        demonstrators were lined up near the front of the library
21:08 < srevilak> Right where I had planned to hitch up the bike
21:09 < srevilak> So, ended up walking the bike a half block away and
        locking up in front of CCB
21:09 < srevilak> Heard back and forth chants of "lock them up" vs
        "Nazis out"
21:09 < igel[m]> friendly reminder when seeing, yes
21:10 < srevilak> Left the banner locked up with the bike, because seemed
        like it might get a bit tense
21:10 <@jokeefe> heard it was 300 protesters to 5 counter protesters
21:10 < igel[m]> exactly this heh.
21:10 < srevilak> 300 to 15 is more like it
21:10 < srevilak> Anyway, the boneheads left shortly afterwards
21:10 <@jokeefe> still 20 to 1 is a good ratio for us
21:10 < srevilak> There was a percussion contingent, so I played cowbell
21:11  * srevilak likes loud demonstrations
21:11 < srevilak> and nothing cuts like a good cowbell :)
21:11 < srevilak> but it was a good event
21:11 <@jokeefe> ahoy Malt
21:11 < Malt> Same capradae, Worcester
21:11 < Malt> Sorry I missed it
21:11 < Malt> Hi friends
21:11 < Pirate_Joe> Sorry I missed it. :(
21:11 < srevilak> BPD formed a line in front of HCC entrance, and much
        of the event took place right outside
21:12 <@jokeefe> Thanks, srevilak
21:12 <@jokeefe> how many BPD?
21:12 < srevilak> 10, 15 or so.
21:12 < srevilak> Most on bicycles, IIRC
21:12 < srevilak> no trouble with BPD
21:13 < Malt> Good
21:13 < srevilak> That's the basic summary
21:13 <@jokeefe> Thanks.
21:14 <@jokeefe> Any discussion of future events?
21:15 < srevilak> Folks were handing out flyers for straight pride
        counter demonstraton on Aug 31st
21:15 < Malt> Nice
21:15 < srevilak> https://www.facebook.com/events/2233546250067653/?
21:15 <@jokeefe> When / where?
21:16 < srevilak> "clock
21:16 < srevilak> Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM EDT:
21:17 < srevilak> "Somewhere near copley square, boston"
21:17 <@jokeefe> ok, thanks.
21:17 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:17 <@jokeefe> Formation of the National party - Pirate_Joe?
21:18 < Pirate_Joe> So last week there was a lot of back and forth on
        how we are forming the national party between Bosun and Jokeefe
21:18 < Pirate_Joe> We are leaning towards a co-op and then registering
        with the FEC
21:19 < Pirate_Joe> Jokeefe, could you explain the challenges you saw
        with this?
21:19 <@jokeefe> working out the details. will send for you all to review.
21:20 < Pirate_Joe> Plus we need to more robust emailing system on a
        national level
21:20 < Pirate_Joe> Next week we plan to start working on the bylaws
        as well.
21:20 <@jokeefe> there was some confusion on how things would work. I
        don’t have the full details, but I guess there is something where each
        state could buy a share for $1 to give ownership rights.
21:21 < Pirate_Joe> He state would have one vote for whom is on the
        council
21:21 < Pirate_Joe> Council runs day to day things, like grants and such
21:21 < Pirate_Joe> but more of the power for decisions/endorsements
        would come from the state reps
21:22 < Pirate_Joe> *most
21:22 < Pirate_Joe> We have also has a lot more states start showing up
        to the meetings which is good
21:22 < Pirate_Joe> We have Texas and Ohio recently contact us.
21:23 <@jokeefe> cool
21:23 < Pirate_Joe> I have asked Jokeefe to assist in creating the bylaws,
        but would love all of your input as well
21:24 < Pirate_Joe> Anyone interested?
21:25 <@jokeefe> perhaps you could send periodic updates to the activist
        list
21:25 <@jokeefe> ?
21:25 < igel[m]> im generally interested because co-op, but my english
        is rough as it is heh
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> We can clean it up. What we need atm is a diamond
        in the rough
21:26 < Pirate_Joe> Polish it up as time goes on
21:27 < Pirate_Joe> This is an exciting time where we really get to tell
        the world who we are. I would rather get it done right than quickly.
21:28 < Pirate_Joe> Motion to accept the co-op?
21:28 <@jokeefe> I don’t think we should accept anything until we see
        the details.
21:29 < Pirate_Joe> Then motion to table until we have the draft of the
        agreement done?
21:29 <@jokeefe> 2nd
21:29 < Pirate_Joe> All in favor?
21:29 < Pirate_Joe> aye
21:29 <@jokeefe> aye
21:29 < Malt> Did I miss a vote
21:29  * igel[m] literally just learning about roots co-ops have been
        making around the country/world
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Motion to accept the co-op?
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> @jokeefe
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> I don’t think we should accept anything until we
        see the details.
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Pirate_Joe
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Then motion to table until we have the draft of the
        agreement done?
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> @jokeefe
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Pirate_Joe
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> All in favor?
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> aye
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> @jokeefe
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> aye
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> → Malt has joined
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Malt
21:30 < Pirate_Joe> vote!
21:30 <@jokeefe> motion to table adopting national coop organization
        until we have the draft of the agreement done
21:31 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd and two aye, zero nays
21:31 < Malt> Nice
21:32 <@jokeefe> any opposed?
21:32 <@jokeefe> motion to wait passes
21:33 <@jokeefe> Boston's Operation Cleansweep
21:33 <@jokeefe> Last night Boston PD forced homeless from a place
        they were camping, confiscated their stuff and crushed it in garbage
        trucks. People lost their wheel chairs, bags and possibly medicine.
21:33 < igel[m]> aye
21:33 <@jokeefe> links at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_7th,_2019_IRC_Meeting#Boston.27s_Operation_Cleansweep
21:33 < igel[m]> AKA are we Arizona / Texas?
21:34 <@jokeefe> Make a statement supporting the 4th Amendment rights
        of the homeless and the need for ending homelessness?
21:34 < igel[m]> texas/arizona, known for criminalizing donation of
        food/clothing to people without shelter. pretty f'dup
21:34 < Malt> Jesus!
21:34 < Malt> Yup
21:34 < igel[m]> please
21:35 < Malt> I can take point on that
21:35 <@jokeefe> much appreciated
21:36 < Malt> I think Seattle is voting on making tents private space
21:36 < igel[m]> they did the same thing in Arling/Camb under the
        rt2 Bridge
21:36 < igel[m]> thanks Malt, ah... good.
21:37 <@jokeefe> any further discussion on posting a statement?
21:37 < srevilak> Was it BPD or the state/MBTA police
21:37 < Malt> Open to any input y'all have
21:37 < Malt> You know my radical streak
21:38 < Pirate_Joe> I am on the fence on this one
21:38 <@jokeefe> BPD I believe
21:38 < srevilak> The sign under rt 2 in arlington was posted by mbta
        transit police
21:38 < srevilak> Arlington and cambridge are more willing to try to
        hook homeless individuals up with homeless services
21:38 < srevilak> State, not so much
21:38 < Pirate_Joe> Because on one hand I support getting these people
        the help they need. The other is that we should respect their right to
        camp out and be left alone.
21:38 < igel[m]> yeah, i saw the camb. police there, im %55 sure it
        wasnt transit, but it wasn't state.
21:39 < Pirate_Joe> Neither of which seems to be the case for this
        particular incident....
21:39 <@jokeefe> 4th Amendment issue is high on my list,
        Pirate_Joe. Government shouldn’t take stuff from people without
        due process
21:39 <@jokeefe> even if they are homeless
21:40 < Pirate_Joe> Roe vs Wade <3
21:40 < srevilak> When arlington's homeless were evicted from bridge,
        several moved into woods near thorndike field.  It's private property
21:40 < srevilak> that the owner's been trying to develop for decades
21:41 < srevilak> We, cambridge, somerville have coalition to work on
        connecting people with services and shelters
21:41 < srevilak> But providing housing in these circumstances is a
        challenge, even if the individual is willing to take it
21:41 < Pirate_Joe> now that they have been moved of public land, they
        can then get them for trespassing and throw them in jail
21:41 < Pirate_Joe> *off
21:41 < Malt> That's helpful how?
21:42 < srevilak> But clearing an encapment with little/no notice is BS.
        Does way more damage than anything else
21:42 < Pirate_Joe> It's a trap, Malt.
21:42 < Malt> Exactly
21:42 < igel[m]> aah, right
21:43 < igel[m]> its cruel and inhuman to fucking do this.
21:43 < srevilak> Pirate_Joe: no.  They're not being arrested or cited
        for living on private land
21:43 < srevilak> Town has limits on trespassing too
21:44 < srevilak> Trying to set up a set of expectations.  For example,
        providing sanitary facilities and requiring that they be used
21:44 < igel[m]> moreover, the state has been closing shelters with beds
        down more and more, no?
21:44 < Pirate_Joe> Interesting, because trespassing on private property
        is at least a fine
21:44 < srevilak>
        https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/Homelessness_Task_Force_-_Jul_11th,_2019
21:45 <@jokeefe> coming back to it is wrong for police to take and
        destroy homeless people’s stuff because they were “loitering”
21:45 < igel[m]> state police were involved at one point in boston too
        it seems
21:46 < igel[m]> i mean, they were crushing peoples wheelchairs inthe
        trash truck
21:47 < srevilak>
        http://nlchp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Tent_City_USA_2017.pdf has
        decent set of policy recomendations
21:48 < igel[m]>
        https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBYn-N7XYAA6uVr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
21:48 <@jokeefe> does that deal with your concerns Pirate_Joe?
21:48 < srevilak> yow, that's harsh :(
21:48 < Pirate_Joe> Starts to
21:49 < Pirate_Joe> I would also like to add mental health to these
        programs
21:49 <@jokeefe> agreed
21:49 < Pirate_Joe> At least in my city, most homeless is because they
        have pushed away anyone whom could help them.
21:50 < igel[m]> thats really broad m8
21:50 < Pirate_Joe> We have one guy that seems to like to poop in random
        public spots.....
21:51 < Pirate_Joe> I will spare names for that person's sake.
21:51 <@jokeefe> mental illness is an issue as is poverty and drug
        addiction.
21:51 < igel[m]> yeah thats an indicator used for indexing poverty,
        mental health and other things.
21:51 < Pirate_Joe> At this point, drug addiction is a mental health
        issue.
21:51 <@jokeefe> fair point
21:52 <@jokeefe> one helped by pharmaceutical companies, though
21:52 < Pirate_Joe> or self medications
21:52 <@jokeefe> hard to disentangle those.
21:53 < Malt> Appreciate these policy links
21:54 <@jokeefe> so if the statement talks about expanding mental health
        access, are you ok with it Pirate_Joe?
21:54 < Pirate_Joe> Not only ok with it, fully support it.
21:54 < igel[m]> its the global Multidimensional Poverty Index i think
        i was trying to source..
21:55 < Malt> Mmhm
21:55 < Malt> It's a social equity issue
21:56 <@jokeefe> any other objections?
21:57 <@jokeefe> seeing no objections and since Malt has said he will
        draft it … motion passes. Malt would you post a draft to activists
        email list for final review?
21:57 < Malt> Of cours
21:58 <@jokeefe> thanks
21:58 <@jokeefe> Projects
21:58 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings
21:58 < igel[m]> well,
21:58 < igel[m]> no?
21:58 < igel[m]> heh
21:58 < igel[m]> shoot.
21:59 < Pirate_Joe> we are 2 minutes to time, motion to add 10 minutes.
21:59 <@jokeefe> If you haven’t filled
        out the survey, please do. it is at
        https://masspirates.org/crew/forms/2019-pirate-party-conference-questionnaire
21:59 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter
22:00 <@jokeefe> recording this weekend?
22:00 <@jokeefe> We have the Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) meeting
        Saturday 11am-1pm
22:00 < Malt> 2nd motion
22:00 < srevilak>  jokeefe: We'll have to do 11am - 12:30pm
22:01 < Malt> I will be unavailable Sunday
22:01 < Pirate_Joe> I am working through the weekend on for two major
        clients.  The follow we would be much better for me.
22:01 < Pirate_Joe> weekend.
22:02 <@jokeefe> The weekend is pretty busy for me. Happy to defer. Though
        if srevilak has time on Saturday, we could do a short recording
22:02 < srevilak> On Saturday (Tech Meeting), I'll have to end at 12:30.
22:03 < srevilak> So, may depend on how quickly we can get mediawiki
        updated
22:03 < Malt> O
22:04 < srevilak> Oh?
22:04 < igel[m]> off topic, but worth mentioning the
        other side to the 'streetsweep' topic earlier there
        are actually some valid arguments/reporting done here:
        https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/08/07/south-bay-crackdown-raises-concerns/
22:04 <@jokeefe> or not …
22:04 < igel[m]> i am again hammered this weekend with commitments
22:05 <@jokeefe> no recording is ok.
22:05 <@jokeefe> will see about getting srevilak’s recording up as
        a video.
22:05 <@jokeefe> as Pirate_Joe noted, we are at time.
22:06 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
22:06 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd
22:06 <@jokeefe> 2nd
22:06 < Pirate_Joe> <3
22:06 <@jokeefe> all in favor
22:06 < Pirate_Joe> aye
22:06 < igel[m]> aye
22:06 <@jokeefe> ?
22:06 <@jokeefe> aye
22:06 < srevilak> aye
22:06 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:06 < Pirate_Joe> goodnight everyone
22:07 <@jokeefe> good night all
22:07 <@jokeefe> thanks srevilak