Difference between revisions of "August 7th, 2019 IRC Meeting"
|Line 111:||Line 111:|
=== Observers ===
=== Observers ===
== Summary ==
== Summary ==
Latest revision as of 22:13, 7 August 2019
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Tasks
- 5 Tabled Projects
- 6 Upcoming Events
- 7 Participants
- 8 Summary
- 9 Minutes
Congress of Corrections Protest
Formation of the National party
Boston's Operation Cleansweep
Last night Boston PD forced homeless from a place they were camping, confiscated their stuff and crushed it in garbage trucks. People lost their wheel chairs, bags and possibly medicine. See:
Make a statement supporting the 4th Amendment rights of the homeless and the need for ending homelessness?
Goals for Q2:
- Organize meetups
- Organize election
- Organize Fundraiser(s)
- Organize candidate trainings
- Revise platform
- Next pirate news recording?
Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
July 13th Meeting
- srevilak updated blog theme. jokeefe and srevilak corrected any items that were wrong as a result of the update;
- jokeefe updated our Riot/Matrix client to the latest stable version. Started work on a splash page for discuss.masspirates.org.
- srevilak & jokeefe tested camera / microphone setup and figured out that the reason the recording was so soft in the video we took at the Pirate Planning Picnic was that the speakers were too far away from the microphones.
jokeefe noticed that our CCTV camera map no longer shows the locations of cameras. Fixed.
Next meeting will be August 10th. Topics are:
- find discussion/voting system;
- update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
- write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
- set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
- post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).
Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws
Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent
H.2419 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. jokeefe will submit testimony.
National Platform reform/remake
These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?
Boston Sex Worker Petition
Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News
CCTV camera map
Video Newsletter guest speakers
Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:
- how to do basic labels in GIMP,
- work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
- similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.
- 8/10, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, Arlington
- 8/13, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
- 8/20, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- 8/24, Lowell Pirate Picnic, Lowell
- 8/27, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- 8/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts
- ?, ?, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke
- 9/3, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, Cambridge
- 9/10, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
- jokeefe - James O’Keefe, Somerville
- Pirate_Joe - Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
- srevilak - Steve Revilak, Arlington
- igel[m] - william fleurant, arlington
- Malt - Same capradae, Worcester
Steve provides summary of American Correctional Association demonstration in Copley Square.
Straight Pride counter demonstration on Aug 31st. See https://www.facebook.com/events/2233546250067653. Currently planned for 11:00 am on Aug 31st, somewhere around Copley Square.
Still working out organization of national party. Several states are interested in participating.
Boston's Operation Cleansweep. Last night, BPD cleared a homeless encampment. Most of their belongings were thrown into a trash truck. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBYn-N7XYAA6uVr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096 has a picture of trash truck, with a wheelchair sticking out. News story: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2019/08/07/operation-clean-sweep-wheelchairs/. Another take here: https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/08/07/south-bay-crackdown-raises-concerns/. Malt will draft statement.
21:04 <@jokeefe> Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_7th,_2019_IRC_Meeting 21:04 <@jokeefe> ids 21:04 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville 21:04 < Pirate_Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell 21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington 21:04 <@jokeefe> Anything to add/remove? 21:05 < igel[m]> william fleurant, arlington 21:05 < Pirate_Joe> Aye 21:05 < Pirate_Joe> Formation of the National party under Decisions/Endorsements 21:06 <@jokeefe> ok 21:06 <@jokeefe> Review 21:07 <@jokeefe> Congress of Corrections Protest 21:07 <@jokeefe> how did it go? 21:08 < srevilak> Desmond was the only other pirate I saw at the event 21:08 < srevilak> when I arrived, a group of `pro prison' counter demonstrators were lined up near the front of the library 21:08 < srevilak> Right where I had planned to hitch up the bike 21:09 < srevilak> So, ended up walking the bike a half block away and locking up in front of CCB 21:09 < srevilak> Heard back and forth chants of "lock them up" vs "Nazis out" 21:09 < igel[m]> friendly reminder when seeing, yes 21:10 < srevilak> Left the banner locked up with the bike, because seemed like it might get a bit tense 21:10 <@jokeefe> heard it was 300 protesters to 5 counter protesters 21:10 < igel[m]> exactly this heh. 21:10 < srevilak> 300 to 15 is more like it 21:10 < srevilak> Anyway, the boneheads left shortly afterwards 21:10 <@jokeefe> still 20 to 1 is a good ratio for us 21:10 < srevilak> There was a percussion contingent, so I played cowbell 21:11 * srevilak likes loud demonstrations 21:11 < srevilak> and nothing cuts like a good cowbell :) 21:11 < srevilak> but it was a good event 21:11 <@jokeefe> ahoy Malt 21:11 < Malt> Same capradae, Worcester 21:11 < Malt> Sorry I missed it 21:11 < Malt> Hi friends 21:11 < Pirate_Joe> Sorry I missed it. :( 21:11 < srevilak> BPD formed a line in front of HCC entrance, and much of the event took place right outside 21:12 <@jokeefe> Thanks, srevilak 21:12 <@jokeefe> how many BPD? 21:12 < srevilak> 10, 15 or so. 21:12 < srevilak> Most on bicycles, IIRC 21:12 < srevilak> no trouble with BPD 21:13 < Malt> Good 21:13 < srevilak> That's the basic summary 21:13 <@jokeefe> Thanks. 21:14 <@jokeefe> Any discussion of future events? 21:15 < srevilak> Folks were handing out flyers for straight pride counter demonstraton on Aug 31st 21:15 < Malt> Nice 21:15 < srevilak> https://www.facebook.com/events/2233546250067653/? 21:15 <@jokeefe> When / where? 21:16 < srevilak> "clock 21:16 < srevilak> Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM EDT: 21:17 < srevilak> "Somewhere near copley square, boston" 21:17 <@jokeefe> ok, thanks. 21:17 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements 21:17 <@jokeefe> Formation of the National party - Pirate_Joe? 21:18 < Pirate_Joe> So last week there was a lot of back and forth on how we are forming the national party between Bosun and Jokeefe 21:18 < Pirate_Joe> We are leaning towards a co-op and then registering with the FEC 21:19 < Pirate_Joe> Jokeefe, could you explain the challenges you saw with this? 21:19 <@jokeefe> working out the details. will send for you all to review. 21:20 < Pirate_Joe> Plus we need to more robust emailing system on a national level 21:20 < Pirate_Joe> Next week we plan to start working on the bylaws as well. 21:20 <@jokeefe> there was some confusion on how things would work. I don’t have the full details, but I guess there is something where each state could buy a share for $1 to give ownership rights. 21:21 < Pirate_Joe> He state would have one vote for whom is on the council 21:21 < Pirate_Joe> Council runs day to day things, like grants and such 21:21 < Pirate_Joe> but more of the power for decisions/endorsements would come from the state reps 21:22 < Pirate_Joe> *most 21:22 < Pirate_Joe> We have also has a lot more states start showing up to the meetings which is good 21:22 < Pirate_Joe> We have Texas and Ohio recently contact us. 21:23 <@jokeefe> cool 21:23 < Pirate_Joe> I have asked Jokeefe to assist in creating the bylaws, but would love all of your input as well 21:24 < Pirate_Joe> Anyone interested? 21:25 <@jokeefe> perhaps you could send periodic updates to the activist list 21:25 <@jokeefe> ? 21:25 < igel[m]> im generally interested because co-op, but my english is rough as it is heh 21:26 < Pirate_Joe> We can clean it up. What we need atm is a diamond in the rough 21:26 < Pirate_Joe> Polish it up as time goes on 21:27 < Pirate_Joe> This is an exciting time where we really get to tell the world who we are. I would rather get it done right than quickly. 21:28 < Pirate_Joe> Motion to accept the co-op? 21:28 <@jokeefe> I don’t think we should accept anything until we see the details. 21:29 < Pirate_Joe> Then motion to table until we have the draft of the agreement done? 21:29 <@jokeefe> 2nd 21:29 < Pirate_Joe> All in favor? 21:29 < Pirate_Joe> aye 21:29 <@jokeefe> aye 21:29 < Malt> Did I miss a vote 21:29 * igel[m] literally just learning about roots co-ops have been making around the country/world 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Motion to accept the co-op? 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> @jokeefe 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> I don’t think we should accept anything until we see the details. 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Pirate_Joe 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Then motion to table until we have the draft of the agreement done? 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> @jokeefe 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Pirate_Joe 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> All in favor? 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> aye 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> @jokeefe 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> aye 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> → Malt has joined 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> Malt 21:30 < Pirate_Joe> vote! 21:30 <@jokeefe> motion to table adopting national coop organization until we have the draft of the agreement done 21:31 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd and two aye, zero nays 21:31 < Malt> Nice 21:32 <@jokeefe> any opposed? 21:32 <@jokeefe> motion to wait passes 21:33 <@jokeefe> Boston's Operation Cleansweep 21:33 <@jokeefe> Last night Boston PD forced homeless from a place they were camping, confiscated their stuff and crushed it in garbage trucks. People lost their wheel chairs, bags and possibly medicine. 21:33 < igel[m]> aye 21:33 <@jokeefe> links at https://masspirates.org/wiki/August_7th,_2019_IRC_Meeting#Boston.27s_Operation_Cleansweep 21:33 < igel[m]> AKA are we Arizona / Texas? 21:34 <@jokeefe> Make a statement supporting the 4th Amendment rights of the homeless and the need for ending homelessness? 21:34 < igel[m]> texas/arizona, known for criminalizing donation of food/clothing to people without shelter. pretty f'dup 21:34 < Malt> Jesus! 21:34 < Malt> Yup 21:34 < igel[m]> please 21:35 < Malt> I can take point on that 21:35 <@jokeefe> much appreciated 21:36 < Malt> I think Seattle is voting on making tents private space 21:36 < igel[m]> they did the same thing in Arling/Camb under the rt2 Bridge 21:36 < igel[m]> thanks Malt, ah... good. 21:37 <@jokeefe> any further discussion on posting a statement? 21:37 < srevilak> Was it BPD or the state/MBTA police 21:37 < Malt> Open to any input y'all have 21:37 < Malt> You know my radical streak 21:38 < Pirate_Joe> I am on the fence on this one 21:38 <@jokeefe> BPD I believe 21:38 < srevilak> The sign under rt 2 in arlington was posted by mbta transit police 21:38 < srevilak> Arlington and cambridge are more willing to try to hook homeless individuals up with homeless services 21:38 < srevilak> State, not so much 21:38 < Pirate_Joe> Because on one hand I support getting these people the help they need. The other is that we should respect their right to camp out and be left alone. 21:38 < igel[m]> yeah, i saw the camb. police there, im %55 sure it wasnt transit, but it wasn't state. 21:39 < Pirate_Joe> Neither of which seems to be the case for this particular incident.... 21:39 <@jokeefe> 4th Amendment issue is high on my list, Pirate_Joe. Government shouldn’t take stuff from people without due process 21:39 <@jokeefe> even if they are homeless 21:40 < Pirate_Joe> Roe vs Wade <3 21:40 < srevilak> When arlington's homeless were evicted from bridge, several moved into woods near thorndike field. It's private property 21:40 < srevilak> that the owner's been trying to develop for decades 21:41 < srevilak> We, cambridge, somerville have coalition to work on connecting people with services and shelters 21:41 < srevilak> But providing housing in these circumstances is a challenge, even if the individual is willing to take it 21:41 < Pirate_Joe> now that they have been moved of public land, they can then get them for trespassing and throw them in jail 21:41 < Pirate_Joe> *off 21:41 < Malt> That's helpful how? 21:42 < srevilak> But clearing an encapment with little/no notice is BS. Does way more damage than anything else 21:42 < Pirate_Joe> It's a trap, Malt. 21:42 < Malt> Exactly 21:42 < igel[m]> aah, right 21:43 < igel[m]> its cruel and inhuman to fucking do this. 21:43 < srevilak> Pirate_Joe: no. They're not being arrested or cited for living on private land 21:43 < srevilak> Town has limits on trespassing too 21:44 < srevilak> Trying to set up a set of expectations. For example, providing sanitary facilities and requiring that they be used 21:44 < igel[m]> moreover, the state has been closing shelters with beds down more and more, no? 21:44 < Pirate_Joe> Interesting, because trespassing on private property is at least a fine 21:44 < srevilak> https://www.srevilak.net/wiki/Homelessness_Task_Force_-_Jul_11th,_2019 21:45 <@jokeefe> coming back to it is wrong for police to take and destroy homeless people’s stuff because they were “loitering” 21:45 < igel[m]> state police were involved at one point in boston too it seems 21:46 < igel[m]> i mean, they were crushing peoples wheelchairs inthe trash truck 21:47 < srevilak> http://nlchp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Tent_City_USA_2017.pdf has decent set of policy recomendations 21:48 < igel[m]> https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EBYn-N7XYAA6uVr?format=jpg&name=4096x4096 21:48 <@jokeefe> does that deal with your concerns Pirate_Joe? 21:48 < srevilak> yow, that's harsh :( 21:48 < Pirate_Joe> Starts to 21:49 < Pirate_Joe> I would also like to add mental health to these programs 21:49 <@jokeefe> agreed 21:49 < Pirate_Joe> At least in my city, most homeless is because they have pushed away anyone whom could help them. 21:50 < igel[m]> thats really broad m8 21:50 < Pirate_Joe> We have one guy that seems to like to poop in random public spots..... 21:51 < Pirate_Joe> I will spare names for that person's sake. 21:51 <@jokeefe> mental illness is an issue as is poverty and drug addiction. 21:51 < igel[m]> yeah thats an indicator used for indexing poverty, mental health and other things. 21:51 < Pirate_Joe> At this point, drug addiction is a mental health issue. 21:51 <@jokeefe> fair point 21:52 <@jokeefe> one helped by pharmaceutical companies, though 21:52 < Pirate_Joe> or self medications 21:52 <@jokeefe> hard to disentangle those. 21:53 < Malt> Appreciate these policy links 21:54 <@jokeefe> so if the statement talks about expanding mental health access, are you ok with it Pirate_Joe? 21:54 < Pirate_Joe> Not only ok with it, fully support it. 21:54 < igel[m]> its the global Multidimensional Poverty Index i think i was trying to source.. 21:55 < Malt> Mmhm 21:55 < Malt> It's a social equity issue 21:56 <@jokeefe> any other objections? 21:57 <@jokeefe> seeing no objections and since Malt has said he will draft it … motion passes. Malt would you post a draft to activists email list for final review? 21:57 < Malt> Of cours 21:58 <@jokeefe> thanks 21:58 <@jokeefe> Projects 21:58 <@jokeefe> Regional Meetings 21:58 < igel[m]> well, 21:58 < igel[m]> no? 21:58 < igel[m]> heh 21:58 < igel[m]> shoot. 21:59 < Pirate_Joe> we are 2 minutes to time, motion to add 10 minutes. 21:59 <@jokeefe> If you haven’t filled out the survey, please do. it is at https://masspirates.org/crew/forms/2019-pirate-party-conference-questionnaire 21:59 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter 22:00 <@jokeefe> recording this weekend? 22:00 <@jokeefe> We have the Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) meeting Saturday 11am-1pm 22:00 < Malt> 2nd motion 22:00 < srevilak> jokeefe: We'll have to do 11am - 12:30pm 22:01 < Malt> I will be unavailable Sunday 22:01 < Pirate_Joe> I am working through the weekend on for two major clients. The follow we would be much better for me. 22:01 < Pirate_Joe> weekend. 22:02 <@jokeefe> The weekend is pretty busy for me. Happy to defer. Though if srevilak has time on Saturday, we could do a short recording 22:02 < srevilak> On Saturday (Tech Meeting), I'll have to end at 12:30. 22:03 < srevilak> So, may depend on how quickly we can get mediawiki updated 22:03 < Malt> O 22:04 < srevilak> Oh? 22:04 < igel[m]> off topic, but worth mentioning the other side to the 'streetsweep' topic earlier there are actually some valid arguments/reporting done here: https://www.baystatebanner.com/2019/08/07/south-bay-crackdown-raises-concerns/ 22:04 <@jokeefe> or not … 22:04 < igel[m]> i am again hammered this weekend with commitments 22:05 <@jokeefe> no recording is ok. 22:05 <@jokeefe> will see about getting srevilak’s recording up as a video. 22:05 <@jokeefe> as Pirate_Joe noted, we are at time. 22:06 < srevilak> motion to adjourn 22:06 < Pirate_Joe> 2nd 22:06 <@jokeefe> 2nd 22:06 < Pirate_Joe> <3 22:06 <@jokeefe> all in favor 22:06 < Pirate_Joe> aye 22:06 < igel[m]> aye 22:06 <@jokeefe> ? 22:06 <@jokeefe> aye 22:06 < srevilak> aye 22:06 < srevilak> will post transcript 22:06 < Pirate_Joe> goodnight everyone 22:07 <@jokeefe> good night all 22:07 <@jokeefe> thanks srevilak