December 20th, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 15:28, 11 May 2013 by Srevilak (talk | contribs) (3 revisions)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Review of planned 2013 events/activities
  2. Review of organization
  3. Review of budget

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

  1. Review of planned 2013 events/activities:
    1. Continuing what we have done
      1. Pirate Info Conference
      2. Together Boston music festival is week of May 18th (
      3. Boston Pride Festival on Sat. June 8th (
      4. Freedom Rally on Boston Common
      5. CryptoParty
    2. New events
      1. Pirate Planning/Issue Conference?
      2. Security BSides
      3. CryptoCurrencies Conference (such as this one)
      4. Wake up the Earth Festival in JP on Sat., May 4th (
      5. Pax East which is March 22-24th. They are looking for submissions (, though they do focus on computer gaming. They don't have any tables available for non-gaming groups and are rather expensive. Perhaps we should have a party in one of the hotel rooms and hand out invites. Could have folks wearing t-shirts that say: Ask me how the Pirate Party is protecting your freedom"?
      6. AnimeBoston which is May 24-26th.
      7. Digital Media Conference & Grassroots Use of Technology Conference possibly
  2. Review of organization
    1. How can we be better organized?
    2. Need committees? Which ones if so?
  3. Review of budget. Here is what we adopted for 2012


  • mildbeard - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • srevilak - Steve Revilak
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville


  • davidd - David, Netherlands
  • cmal
  • TeamColtra


Members/supporters mailing

  1. Jamie will finish mailing list this week
  2. Envelopes will have tag line: Survey enclosed - Tell us how we can defend your freedom.
  3. Mailing party during week between Xmas/new years. Jamie will send poll.

2013 events/activities

Event schedule

NOTE: Sevan found a place that prints logos on chocolates. Could be a good thing for events/gifts.

Events we would run/sponsor

  1. Pirate Info Conference.
  2. Pirate Planning/Issue Conference?
  3. Talk Like a Pirate Day Party/fundraiser, Thu., Sept. 19th?
  4. CryptoParty
  5. CryptoCurrencies Conference (such as this one). Have a possible location.
  6. Digital Media Conference & Grassroots Use of Technology Conference possibly
  7. College digital rights days with other groups

Other events

  1. Pax East which is March 22-24th. They are looking for submissions (, though they do focus on computer gaming;
  2. Wake up the Earth Festival in JP on Sat., May 4th (
  3. Together Boston music festival is week of May 18th (
  4. Security BSides
  5. AnimeBoston which is May 24-26th.
  6. Boston Pride Festival on Sat. June 8th (
  7. Freedom Rally on Boston Common, 2nd/3rd Saturday in September

Pirate Info Conference

Qualities we need in a site for a conference:

  1. We will probably get more people this year, so adequate space. At least 100 people.
  2. Good location that is easy to get to and accessible to people with disabilities
  3. Good access to internet and electrical outlets
  4. Good lighting

Meeting Minutes


[12:24] <@jokeefe> what did I miss? [12:24] <@mildbeard> hey [4Q] - 4q2... [12:25] <@srevilak> mildbeard and I were chatting about linux distros [12:26] <@mildbeard> Yeah. We haven't seen SplendidSpoon yet. [12:26] <@jokeefe> cool [12:26] <@jokeefe> must be busy [12:27] <@jokeefe> Anyone know of other events we could attend in 2013? [12:27] <@jokeefe> guess that was on the agenda [12:28] <@srevilak> the list at,_2012_IRC_Meeting seems like a full agenda [12:28] <@jokeefe> looks like we won't be able to be at PAXEast officially, though I guess we could rent a room Sat. night and invite people up for a party or walk around with t-shirts that say "Ask me how the Pirate Party is protecting your freedoms" [12:29] <@jokeefe> BTW: can anyone get to ? [12:30] <@mildbeard> they're thinking of changing the date. [12:31] <@srevilak> web site claims that conference is already sold out [12:31] <@mildbeard> You can organize your own bsides event. There's a link. [12:32] <@jokeefe> right, looks like sometime in may, in a bigger place [12:33] <@jokeefe> Lets focus on the Pirate Conference. Spring & Fall? [12:33] <@mildbeard> ok [12:35] <@jokeefe> If we aim for 80-120 people, where can we hold it? Demo center would be too small. [12:35] <@srevilak> spring seems okay, if there's enough time to organize (never been to a pirate conf. before) [12:36] <@jokeefe> we could do late spring. [12:36] <@srevilak> BCNC has meeting rooms large enough. Could also consider umass boston [12:37] <@jokeefe> We looked at UMass Boston, but it was rather expensive. [12:37] <@mildbeard> Lighting and sound for video are considerations. [12:37] <@jokeefe> What is BCNC? [12:37] <@mildbeard> What's the cost at Umass? [12:38] <@srevilak> BCNC = Boston Chinatown Neighborhood center. [12:38] <@srevilak> [12:38] <@srevilak> (no room rates on website though) [12:39] <@srevilak> bunker hill community college? [12:39] <@jokeefe> my notes for Umass Boston has it at $1600 [12:40] <@jokeefe> BCNC looks nice. BHCC could be good too. [12:41] <@srevilak> [12:41] <@srevilak> I'm just rattling off places where I've been to meetings, conferences. [12:41] <@jokeefe> Roxbury Community College is another possibility [12:43] <@srevilak> I'll volunteer to get in touch with BHCC RCC, get rate and description of facilities [12:44] <@jokeefe> thanks! [12:44] <@mildbeard> I know a good place in Fram but it's probably too far out to get enough people. Maybe for a second conference in the Fall. [12:45] <@srevilak> k. Will try to get in touch w/them in next day or so, and report when I hear back [12:45] <@jokeefe> Sure, find out more about it. Near commuter rail? [12:45] <@mildbeard> uh, no not really :). [12:45] <@jokeefe> Probably we would need a 100-200 person auditorium, and assorted conference rooms. That is roughly what we had with GRP conferences. [12:45] <@jokeefe> oh well. [12:45] <@mildbeard> ample parking though. [12:45] <@jokeefe> that counts too. [12:46] <@mildbeard> I'll find out about pricing, just in case. [12:46] <@jokeefe> thanks. [12:47] <@jokeefe> one day? [12:47] <@mildbeard> right [12:47] <@mildbeard> might be cheaper in summer [12:48] <@jokeefe> maybe, worthwhile to ask. [12:48] <@jokeefe> we could do a fundraiser in the evening. see if bands want to play and split the proceeds? [12:48] <@mildbeard> I really want to have a costume party fundraiser on talk like a pirate day :) [12:49] <@srevilak> mildbeard: did not realize there was such a thing, but I see there is [12:50] <@mildbeard> yeah, international talk like a pirate day. [12:50] <@jokeefe> agreed, mildbeard. I think we need to find a place to have it. [12:50] <@mildbeard> We've already gotten a lot of interest by leveraging the awesomeness of pirates. [12:52] <@jokeefe> mildbeard, did you print out the survey? [12:53] <@jokeefe> if not, perhaps we need to ask what events people would attend when? [12:53] <@mildbeard> Not yet. [12:55] <@mildbeard> Yeah we could do that on the survey. [12:55] <@srevilak> I'll have to go into lurking mode soon. [12:55] <@jokeefe> me too [12:56] <@mildbeard> You want to send me an event list and I'll give you a PDF of what the letter looks like with that list on it? [12:56] <@jokeefe> sure. if you send to the list, send it as a link [12:56] <@mildbeard> OK np [12:57] <@jokeefe> must say,'s new megaupload could have some interesting tech [12:57] <@mildbeard> I have a mtg at 1, have to drop as well. [12:57] <@jokeefe> ok, lets just call it. all in favor of adjourning? [13:00] <@jokeefe> motion passes due to inactivity. :-) [13:03] <@mildbeard> aye [13:03] <@mildbeard> adios [13:03] <@mildbeard> lol