February 1st, 2022 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:57, 1 February 2022 by Srevilak (talk | contribs) (→‎Minutes)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Endorse Assange Letter to US AG/Congress

State Party Sponsorship

Platform

Diversity Plank

Planks: https://github.com/masspirates/planks

Projects

Outreach

Leader: Malt

Starting monthly meetings. Next one will be Saturday, January 22nd at noon.

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Pirate news recording scheduled for Sundays, 7pm with go-live at 7:30pm. Unless changed

Other To Do

  • Application to PPI

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • Malt (sam capradae, worcester)

Observers

  • davidd_
  • hvxgr
  • slerman

Summary

  • Endorse Assange Letter to US AG/Congress. Text sent via email. Motion to endorse passes.
  • State Party Sponsorship. There are new statewide pirate parties forming (Kentucky, for example). Discussion of how to help them get set up (organize, find a treasurer, etc). Motion to assist passes.
  • Platform. We were working on a diversity plank.

Minutes

 
21:03 <~jokeefe> ahoy
21:03 < srevilak> hi jokeefe
21:04 < srevilak> Was reading this earlier.  Bit of good news, I think:
        https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/02/01/business/mass-lawmakers-advance-digital-privacy-bill/
21:04 <~jokeefe> thanks
21:05 <~jokeefe> Agenda:
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_1st,_2022_IRC_Meeting
21:05 <~jokeefe> ids
21:05 <~jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:05 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:05 <~jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:06 < Joe> Please add sponsorship under decisions
21:06 <~jokeefe> Sponsorship of what?
21:07 < Joe> Another state in getting set up/joining the uspp with
        our guidance.
21:08 <~jokeefe> great
21:08 <~jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:08 <~jokeefe> Endorse Assange Letter to US AG/Congress
21:08 <~jokeefe> Text is in email
21:09 <~jokeefe> Comments?
21:11 < Joe> Sorry, I didn't see the email.
21:11 <~jokeefe> Just the email about tonight’s meeting
21:11 < srevilak> Joe: subject line is "IRC Meeting tonight 9pm"
        (letter is at the end)
21:12 < srevilak> who wrote the text of the letter?
21:13 <~jokeefe> Boston Area Assange Defense
21:14 < srevilak> Just curious.  It's a good letter
21:15 < Joe> I support it. Less concerned with Assange himself and more
        concerned about the legal ramifications but.....
21:16 < Joe> We should treat each of us with dignity and respect,
        especially in high profile cases.
21:17 <~jokeefe> The US Congress letter is somewhat different. I forwarded
        that to the list.
21:18 < srevilak> Motion to endorse the letter
21:18 <~jokeefe> 2nd
21:18 <~jokeefe> all in favor?
21:18 < srevilak> aye
21:19 <~jokeefe> aye
21:19 < Joe> Aye
21:20 <~jokeefe> any opposed?
21:20 < Malt> sam capradae, worcester
21:20 < Malt> sorry i'm late
21:20 <~jokeefe> ahoy Malt
21:20 <~jokeefe> just voting on the Assange letter
21:20 < Malt> hi everyone
21:20 <~jokeefe> emailed to the list
21:23 <~jokeefe> Malt do you approve endorsing the letter or do you want
        to abstain or oppose?
21:23 < Malt> i approve
21:25 <~jokeefe> Motion passes. I will email them.
21:25 <~jokeefe> State Party Sponsorship
21:25 <~jokeefe> Joe?
21:26 <~jokeefe> What are you thinking?
21:26 < Joe> Sorry, tired so I am a bit slow tonight
21:27 < Joe> We are getting new members in terms of new states starting
        us under the pirate banner.
21:27 < srevilak> Which states?
21:28 < Joe> I hope we can help support them and be a contact for
        newcomers so that itwill get us where we want to be asa party
21:29 < Joe> There are a few but the one in question is Kentucky
        I believe.
21:29 < Joe> Ethan has come forward as a potential Captain.
21:30 < Joe> I would be honored to help or have one of us go help them
        through the process.
21:30 <~jokeefe> How would you like us to help?
21:31 < Joe> Motion to sponsor a new state pirate party and take them
        under our wing.
21:31 < Malt> what does that mean, more specifically?
21:31 < Joe> Guidance and education, step by step if necessary but Ethan
        seemed to have a good idea of what to do.
21:32 < Malt> we've got the wiki with advice on running
21:32 < Joe> Mentoring essentially.
21:33 < Joe> More in terms of setting up offical party like what Jamie
        has done and help organize.
21:34 < Joe> Set up a treasurer, basic by-laws and whatnot.
21:34 <~jokeefe> I am happy to talk with people and give advice, but I
        am too stretched time-wise to be proactive in mentoring a new party.
21:35 < Joe> Does not seem like a lot since things are already done here
        in MA but it is.
21:36 < Joe> I said I would be happy to assist and I stand by it. Though
        I prefer to have our collective ok on it.
21:36 <~jokeefe> I am fine with you being point of contact.
21:37 < Malt> yeah, go hog wild bro
21:37 < Joe> Lol, prefer not the wild hog when a tame one will do
        just fine.
21:38 < Joe> Motion?
21:38 < Malt> 2nd
21:38 <~jokeefe> all in favor?
21:38 < Joe> Abstain
21:38 < srevilak> aye
21:38 < Malt> aye
21:39 <~jokeefe> aye
21:39 <~jokeefe> Any opposed?
21:40 <~jokeefe> Motion passes
21:41 <~jokeefe> Platform - We were working on
        https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/MAPPForMoreDiversity
21:41 < Joe> Thank you for your confidence in this matter, I will be
        sure to do us proud with my shameless copying.
21:41 <~jokeefe> Life is a remix
21:45 <~jokeefe> Sunday good for recording?
21:46 < srevilak> Yes, Sunday is good
21:46 < Malt> yup!
21:46 < Malt> finals are saturday
21:47 < Joe> Aye
21:47 <~jokeefe> go Malt!
21:47 < srevilak> Malt: are you taking finals, or giving and grading them?
21:47 < Malt> oh i'm performing in the finals of a standup contest
21:48 < srevilak> Oh, standup final.  Doh - got it!
21:48 < Malt> :)
21:49 < srevilak> Question: in the plank, I'm puzzled by the reference
        to NATO
21:50 <~jokeefe> NATO? I don’t see that srevilak
21:50 <~jokeefe> now i do
21:50 < Joe> This was converted from Germany if I am correct but we are
        still a NATO member.
21:50 <~jokeefe> yes. removed
21:51 < Joe> Aren't we part of nato though? Still think it applies.
21:52 <~jokeefe> we are, but this is a diversity plank not a foreign
        policy plank
21:52 < Joe> Ahh, fair point.
21:53 < srevilak> I was confused about what the North Atlantic Treaty
        Organization was doing to promote diversity.  Kind of though there were
        other orgs we might model ourselves after
21:53 < srevilak> Or look to for inspiration
21:55 <~jokeefe> that is all I have.
21:56 < Joe> Motion to adjourn?
21:56 <~jokeefe> 2nd
21:56 <~jokeefe> all in favor?
21:56 < Malt> aye
21:56 < Joe> Aye
21:56 <~jokeefe> aye
21:56 < srevilak> aye
21:56 < srevilak> will post transcript