February 27th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:51, 27 February 2018 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search



Boston Pride Parade

The Parade is June 9th. The cost for a group such as ours is $280 $160 if we apply by 2/28 and $200 if we apply by 4/30, based on their fee schedule. The response to our request for volunteers/donors has not been high, but we only had one email.

Boston Socialist Unity Project

We are helping with a cryptoparty at the Boston Socialist Unity Project conference on March 17th. Do we want to sponsor/endorse it? We would be listed in the program.


Video Newsletter

  • Planning for next video.
  • Videos of the November candidate workshop have been processed
  • Checking in on the other equifax video

2018 Elections


  1. Videos
  2. March 3: Somerville

In 2018, towns decide when their elections are held, but most are held in the first half of the year. State & county elections are in November. What offices are up in 2018 is listed here.

Nomination papers for federal/state/county elections are available in mid-February. State/county candidates have until the end of May to gather all of their signatures, while federal candidates have until the end of July. The number of signatures needed vary from 150 for State Rep. to 2000 for US House of Representatives.

Digital Right of Repair


Amazon HQ2


Computer Donations


Yearly Conference

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Statements In Process

  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Malt: sam capradae, worcester
  • igel_
  • hvxgr: Tom ROdman ( Milwaukee )


  • ChanServ


Video Newsletter

2018 Elections

Organizing Local Chapters

Amazon HQ2


Computer Donations



[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_27th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:01pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:01pm] Malt: sam capradae, worcester
[9:02pm] hvxgr: Tom ROdman ( Milwaukee ) ahoy
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Joe told me he won’t be able to make it tonight
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:03pm] Malt: nope
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:04pm] jokeefe: The candidate training went well.
[9:04pm] Malt: i was surprised that none of the folks i know in the activist scene came out
[9:05pm] Malt: granted the majority were busy yelling at the mayor up the street but
[9:05pm] Malt: i gotta work on reach
[9:05pm] jokeefe: good to help some candidates get better
[9:06pm] Malt: definitely
[9:06pm] Malt: that dude in the green pony tail though?
[9:06pm] Malt: who hired Senator Warren?
[9:07pm] jokeefe: well he is entitled to his perspective
[9:07pm] Malt: something about singularity? and his DOG
[9:07pm] jokeefe: cute dog
[9:07pm] Malt: oh yeah, total sweetheart
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Boston Pride Parade
[9:08pm] jokeefe: $160 if we apply by 2/28 and $200 if we apply by 4/30
[9:08pm] Malt: if y'all are still for it i'm in
[9:09pm] igel_: weekends are jammed up for me
[9:09pm] jokeefe: I’ll cover the $40 difference, but I say we keep the page up see what support we get by April.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Want to make sure we have a good turn out.
[9:10pm] Malt: true
[9:11pm] jokeefe: An alternative is to go to the Worcester Pride Parade as well as the Dyke March on 6/8 - http://www.bostondykemarch.com/
[9:11pm] igel_: aye
[9:11pm] Malt: I'd feel odd about being quite a lot of dudes at a dyke march
[9:12pm] jokeefe: well it is open to all who support it
[9:13pm] jokeefe: So shall we reassess in April?
[9:13pm] igel_: sounds kickass tho
[9:14pm] Malt: might be cool to stand with freedom ma
[9:14pm] jokeefe: agreed.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Moving on to Boston Socialist Unity Project sponsorship
[9:19pm] Malt: and, hey, would be great to have y'all come to worcester
[9:19pm] Malt: whoops sorry
[9:19pm] Malt: yeah, that project sounds great
[9:19pm] jokeefe: it would!
[9:19pm] Malt: worc DSA has been spreading the word about our cryptoparty
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Cool!
[9:19pm] jokeefe: We have a cryptoparty at the Boston Socialist Unity Project conference.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: They asked if we wanted to endorse/sponsor it and be listed in the program.
[9:20pm] igel_: aye
[9:20pm] jokeefe: thoughts?
[9:21pm] Malt: i'm for it
[9:21pm] igel_: for sure
[9:21pm] Malt: leftist infighting is as old a trope as leftism itself & it'd be great to present a more unified front
[9:21pm] Malt: i know the pirate party is ostensibly libertarian, but america has a weird idea about what libertarianism represents
[9:22pm] jokeefe: I like to think of it as libertarian socialist
[9:22pm] igel_: yeah theres a hook, economics and liberties re: libertarian
[9:22pm] igel_: ism*
[9:23pm] igel_: clearly we want open and transparent and cooperative governance
[9:23pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:24pm] Malt: and an economy ruled by the workers! and the violent dispossession of the bourgeoisie!
[9:24pm] Malt: maybe that's just me
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Well the people running things for the last 40 years of both major parties and in business have done a hideous job
[9:27pm] Malt: things seem to have worked out alright for them
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Far better … for them
[9:27pm] igel_: shit yeah, nah its not. progressivism probably includes open govt. transparency, and cryptography 
[9:27pm] jokeefe: amen
[9:27pm] jokeefe: I’ll email them
[9:28pm] Malt: woo!
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:28pm] jokeefe: The Sunday recording session was postponed due to illness … mine
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Dan is working on the equihax video
[9:29pm] jokeefe: No update on the November candidate workshop videos, I think they are in transit
[9:29pm] Malt: nice
[9:30pm] jokeefe: 2018 Elections
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Training on Saturday
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Still working on videos
[9:32pm] jokeefe: That is all I have.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Looking forward to the cryptoparty
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Malt, are you coming out to the Somerville cryptoparty?
[9:33pm] Malt: gonna see if anyone else wants to ride out with me
[9:35pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:35pm] igel_: shoot this weekend
[9:36pm] igel_: wait when is it? tomorrow?
[9:36pm] jokeefe: which?
[9:36pm] jokeefe: cryptoparty or candidate workshop?
[9:36pm] Malt: the somerville party is tomorrow
[9:36pm] Malt: candidate training saturday
[9:37pm] igel_: ah -- ok
[9:37pm] igel_: should hit the massmesh list w/ that info?
[9:37pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:37pm] jokeefe: if you want
[9:37pm] jokeefe: probably more interested in the cryptoparty
[9:38pm] jokeefe: BTW: the next mass mesh net meeting is March 10, 2018 (1:30pm to 3:30pm) at the Somerville Public Library
[9:38pm] jokeefe: anything else to add?
[9:39pm] hvxgr: Are we at end of agenda?
[9:39pm] Malt: i'm all set
[9:40pm] Malt: i was gonna call worcester magazine about the party
[9:40pm] jokeefe: unless others have things to add hvxgr
[9:40pm] hvxgr: Have a link: http://zq3q.org/pco/#ynuxw_USA_Immigration_Issue
[9:41pm] hvxgr: Voces has a few artist activists, that do good work.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:42pm] igel_: Ah sorry good point
[9:43pm] Malt: oh, one last thing
[9:43pm] hvxgr: sure -- was good for me to do the research (about 30 min ), the voces twitter seems to be a good example to follow.
[9:43pm] Malt: cool if i start retweeting info about the WV teacher's strike from the official account?
[9:44pm] jokeefe: go for it
[9:45pm] jokeefe: I tweeted about the strike at logan
[9:45pm] igel_: aye got to run
[9:47pm] jokeefe: take care
[9:48pm] Malt: welp that's all from me i think?
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Malt, i added the Worcester pride parade to the event calendar
[9:48pm] Malt: neat!
[9:48pm] jokeefe: ok. Shall we adjourn?
[9:48pm] Malt: i can introduce you all to my cats
[9:48pm] Malt: i'm for it, 2nd
[9:48pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:48pm] jokeefe: have a wonderful night
[9:48pm] Malt: you too!
[9:48pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:49pm] hvxgr: good night all
[9:49pm] jokeefe: night