February 6th, 2018 IRC Meeting
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Statements In Process
- 5 Other To Dos
- 6 Upcoming Events
- 7 Participants
- 8 Summary
- 9 Minutes
- February 24?: Worcester
- March: Boston
Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.
In 2018, towns decide when their elections are held, but most are held in the first half of the year. State & county elections are in November. What offices are up in 2018 is listed here. We have been asked to hold a town election training in Milford this year.
Nomination papers for federal/state/county elections are available in mid-February. State/county candidates have until the end of May to gather all of their signatures, while federal candidates have until the end of July. The number of signatures needed vary from 150 for State Rep. to 2000 for US House of Representatives.
The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.
Organizing Local Chapters
Comments on Organizing Guide?
Digital Right of Repair
Net Neutrality/Community Meshnets
- Wednesday January 31, 2018 6pm Monthly Digital Security 101 and meshnets Sprout: 339R Summer Street, Somerville
- Saturday February 10, 2018 1-4pm Creating a (greater) Boston Meshnet Somerville public library 79 Highland Ave Facebook Event
Statements In Process
- MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
- US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
Other To Dos
Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:
- how to do basic labels in GIMP,
- work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
- similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.
- Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
- email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
- set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
- post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
- finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
- install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)
Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.
- 1/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville