February 8th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:42, 8 February 2016 by Srevilak (talk | contribs) (→‎Participants)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review & Decisions

Campaigns Status

PirateCon 2016

  • Location
  • Date

Regional Convention & Contacting Members

  • bestpiggy is calling Boston
  • Lulu is calling Worcester & South
  • srevilak, noe, aquaticonions & jokeefe are finding a location for a regional convention North/West of Boston.

2016 Campaign

2016 Campaign Plan & Task Status

Pirate Pads:

  1. text for campaign site

Candidate Status

No update

Upcoming Events

  1. 2/11, 6pm - 8pm, Boston Security Meetup: "Where Security Meets Privacy, Government Surveillance and Web", LogMeIn, 333 Summer St, Boston
  2. 2/16, 12pm - 1:30pm, Bruce Schneier on "Security and Privacy in the World-Sized Web.", Berkman, 23 Everett Street, Second Floor, Cambridge - RSVP, live stream
  3. 2/24, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty
  4. 3/19-20, LibrePlanet 2016 conference, MIT Stata Center, Cambridge, Edward Snowden is the keynote speaker
  5. 3/30, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty

Every Wed., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • igel
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, west of the Alewife)
  • Kendra

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby
  • itspara

Summary

Minutes

 
20:58 < srevilak> BoS meeting was cancelled, due to snow
20:58 < srevilak> so, I get to be here instead :)
21:00 < jokeefe> glad you could make it
21:03 < jokeefe> have you looked at the public records bill?
21:03 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/February_8th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < jokeefe> ids
21:03 < srevilak> jokeefe: haven't read it, just BSE's synopsis
21:03 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, west of the Alewife
21:04 < jokeefe> the one before the amended bill?
21:04 < srevilak> not sure
21:08 < jokeefe> want to add anything to the bill?
21:08 < jokeefe> agenda?
21:09 < srevilak> Before I suggest additions, I'll have to read it first
21:11 < jokeefe> in the mean time.  our regional convention, Sunday,
28th, 11am-1pm?
21:12 < srevilak> I can do that
21:12 < jokeefe> ok, will schedule it
21:13 < jokeefe> been a busy week workwise, so haven’t been able to
        accomplish much
21:13 < jokeefe> hopefully this week will be better
21:14 < srevilak> likewise.  Arlington is starting to gear up with
        warrant articles and such
21:14 < jokeefe> will be speaking for a few minutes at the boston security
        meetup on tuesday.
21:14 < srevilak> cool
21:14 < srevilak> what's your talk about?
21:14 < jokeefe> state of privacy
21:17 < srevilak> I have to attend meetings Tue and Wed.  Hoping to get
        some MAAPL work done on thu/fri
21:17 < srevilak> shall I try to call a few people this week, re:
        running as candidates?
21:18 < jokeefe> yes please
21:18 < srevilak> Will do a few on thu/fri.
21:18 < jokeefe> thanks
21:19 < jokeefe> PirateCon 2016 - think we are too few to decide
21:20 < srevilak> agreed
21:20 < jokeefe> We are likely set for the date/location for the
        North/West of Boston regional convention
21:20 < srevilak> great, thx
21:22 < jokeefe> working on
        https://piratenpad.de/p/MAPPCandidateRecruitmentSiteText
21:22 < jokeefe> but haven’t done much yet
21:23 < srevilak> I've been focused more on warrant articles
21:23 < jokeefe> understood
21:23 < jokeefe> what have you found?
21:23 < srevilak> Tomorrow, going to a presentation about Community
        choice aggregation (alternative way for municipalities to purchase
        green electricity)
21:23 < srevilak> Also peeved about an article that would prohibit
        camping on public property
21:24 < srevilak> I've seen those kind of regulations used to criminalize
        homelessness
21:24 < jokeefe> aye
21:25 < srevilak> There's also an article that would require town
        committee members to use town-provided email for official business
21:25 < srevilak> Like that one -- would make it easier to submit PR
        requests for email
21:25 < srevilak> hi Kendra
21:25 < Kendra> Hi All, Kendra in Michigan
21:26 < srevilak> Town manager submitted the article on camping.
        Wrote tonight, asking him to provide the motiviation for it
21:27 < Kendra> should be an interesting response, is camping a problem?
21:27 < srevilak> Kendra: I fear that he might be trying to criminalize
        arlington's homeless population
21:27 < srevilak> If that's the case, I'm prepared to give him a fight
21:28 < Kendra>  I know that there is a place under the bridge near the
        dog park
21:28 < srevilak> That's one spot where people hang out.  THere are a
        few other places in east arlington
21:29 < jokeefe> ahoy Kendra
21:29 < srevilak> Seriously, though.  If you want to do something about
        it, house them
21:30 < Kendra> Have fair wages adn affordable housing
21:30 < srevilak> aye
21:30 < srevilak> How close are you to Flint?
21:30 < Kendra> 60 miles
21:30 < jokeefe> right, but that would cost money and we only have that
        for tax breaks and weapons
21:31 < srevilak> I hope that's far enough that you don't have to worry
        about water fiasco
21:31 < Kendra> This small city has a separate water supply from Detroit.
        The bills are ridiculous.  they put in new water meters last year after
        no bilss for two years.  $6500 water bill
21:32 < srevilak> wow ...
21:32 < jokeefe> wow
21:32 < Kendra> The Huron River rund right underneath here, it's paved
        over, nothing but water
21:32 < srevilak> I'm surprised there's not rioting over that.  Or maybe
        there is, and we don't hear about it
21:32 < Kendra> People are getting $300 water bill monthly
21:33 < jokeefe> new jersey made it easier to privatize public water
        systems
21:33 < jokeefe> to fix their under investment problem
21:33 < Kendra> 40% water increase in 2010 due to a lawsuit for political
        corruption, ie the contract for these newly instlled meters
21:36 < srevilak> jokeefe: what do we want the regional meeting agenda
        to look like?
21:37 < jokeefe> strategize about organizing locally, assign regional
        contacts, call for candidates
21:38 < srevilak> sounds good
21:39 < jokeefe> that is all I have
21:40 < srevilak> nothing else from me.  Kendra, anything else from you?
21:40 < Kendra> nope
21:40 < Kendra> move to adjourn?
21:40 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:40 < srevilak> 2nd
21:41 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:41 < srevilak> aye
21:41 < Kendra> aye
21:41 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:41 < jokeefe> aye
21:41 < jokeefe> thanks
21:41 < Kendra> nite
21:41 < jokeefe> good night