June 5th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 20:36, 5 June 2018 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search




Video Newsletter

  • When to record next?
  • What to record?

Party Conference

  • Sending out the last notification


  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes - posted. jokeefe will create petition
  • Free Reality Winner - Approved. jokeefe will write a statement
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for. Bill did not get out of committee (jokeefe)

Computer Donations


Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install slack alternative (jokeefe)

Upcoming Events

  • 6/5, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 6/7, 6pm, Mass MeshNet General Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 6/12, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 6/19, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 6/26, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 6/27, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Cambridge Pirate Meetup
  • Democracy/IT meeting. Email info@masspirates.org for the location
  • Somerville Pirate Meetup


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe
  • malt: Sam Capradae, Worceste


  • ChanServ




[9:02pm] jokeefe: let’s start
[9:02pm] jokeefe: agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/June_5th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:02pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:02pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: Nay due to the request to expedite this meeting
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparty - Meeting had a few new people and some regulars. Got some people from the MoS cryptoparty.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Great discussion
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Mass. MeshNet - Tech progress continues
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Decisions and Endorsements - any update on the Protect and Serve Act of 2018 statement?
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry. there is not, I will try to make extra effort to get it done asap.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Thank you.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:10pm] jokeefe: When?
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Topic was a cryptoparty how to, IIRC
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Am shooting for Sunday at 7pm
[9:12pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: We can do it one of two ways. We could focus on Crypto topics or how to get a meeting going in your neck of the woods
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahoy Sam
[9:13pm] jokeefe: I think we need to think about the later topic so I would prefer to have “how to get a meeting going in your neck of the woods” in July.
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: Sounds good, So lets focus on Crypto tech protections. Such as virtual networks, passwords bare minimums, etc.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: So does Sunday, 7pm work for you Malt?
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: I will have a list to you by Sunday afternoon.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Thank you.  The sooner the better.
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: Understood
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: I will do what I can
[9:21pm] jokeefe: This may be helpful: https://masspirates.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/EquiHacksDigitalPrivacy101Flyer.pdf
[9:22pm] jokeefe: I wasn’t able to get the email newsletter out, but should be able to get it out tomorrow
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: We already did a vid on that
[9:23pm] jokeefe: The 2nd page
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Digital Privacy 101 - Could go into each topic more deeply
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, but I wanted to do some fresh stuff.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Sounds good.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: If I need to give how to advice, I want to make sure I can review things before. So the earlier the better. 
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: That's fair, So we can use page two as a default
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: Would not be a bad vid, just one we have done before.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: Usually at a high level though. I am not wedded to using page two topics.
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: I know you are not feeling well Jamie. Would you prefer to table the rest and motion to Ajourn?
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: It has been a long week for me as well
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Let’s just discuss it over email.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Adjourning early would be great. Anything else to discuss?
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Nay, I second
[9:34pm] jokeefe: All in favor?
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: aye
[9:34pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Good night
[9:36pm] jokeefe: good night