March 14th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 20:38, 14 March 2017 by Srevilak (talk | contribs) (→‎Minutes)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search





Previous work in this area:


Topics so far:

  • Fact Checking Real News vs. Fake News Using the CRAAP Method
  • The need for the voice of the people; The need for democracy
  • How storytelling and narrative can help raise awareness to issues around privacy, transparency, and overall civil rights in a digital age
  • The power of community around technology, music, and art
  • Ranked Choice Voting -- what it is, why it is important, and how the statewide educational campaign is progressing
  • - a personalized video broadcasting system that connects viewers with their local and global communities
  • Using the lessons learned from Occupy to build a web-enabled democratic movement and platform for future governance
  • Cryptocurrency regulations and its effects on privacy, exchangers, and entrepreneurs and why you should be concerned (Lightning Talk)
  • Passing local surveillance ordinances
  • How to FOIA


Campaign Workshops

Message board application

Local Surveillance Ordinances


Projects On Hold For the Moment

First two of these could be topics for future hackathons.

CCTV Camera Map

Looking at organizing a map-a-thon.

Together Boston Meshnet

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

Upcoming Events

See: 2017 calendar


  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak)


  • davidd
  • igel
  • Portable_Cheese
  • sankey


Local surveillance ordinances. Last night, Arlington BoS should have heard proposal from town manager, re surveillance study group. Town manager's proposal was pretty favorable.

Dedicated hosting MF/PL is a bit beyond our budget. Entry level is $600/year. Instead of discourse, we can look at other software.

We have a number of proposed talks. Want to leave one slot for platform building (via small groups); that leaves three slots, plus lightning talks.

Fundraising. Have almost broken even. That's not ideal, but not bad -- we did outreach.

To Dos


21:03 < jokeefe> Agenda:,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:03 < papegaai> Title: March 14th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
21:03 < jokeefe> ids
21:03 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:03 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, presently residing in Columbia Heights,
21:04 < jokeefe> how are things there?
21:05 < srevilak> 2" of wet snow
21:05 < srevilak> was nice during the day, now below freezing and
        really windy
21:05 < srevilak> not as many surveillance cameras as I would have
21:06 < srevilak> except around the FBI building
21:06 < jokeefe> lol
21:06 < jokeefe> maybe they are smaller
21:06 < srevilak> well, all the more reason to contribute to open
        street map
21:06 < jokeefe> Worcester has a lot of traffic intersection cameras
21:06 < jokeefe> Anything to review?
21:07 < srevilak> Short item
21:07 < srevilak> local surveillance Ordinance.
21:07 < jokeefe> great
21:07 < srevilak> Last night's selectmen meeting should have heard
        proposal for surveillance study group
21:08 < srevilak> formulated by town manager and myself
21:08 < srevilak> Being out of town, I wasn't able to attend, but can
        watch video when it's posted
21:08 < srevilak> Town managers proposal to board of selectmen was rather
        promising, for a study group
21:09 < srevilak> (end of review)
21:10 < jokeefe> thanks
21:10 < jokeefe> Any Decisions/Endorsements?
21:10 < srevilak> nothing here
21:11 < jokeefe> Projects then
21:12 < jokeefe> Planks - Writing blog post / email about discussing it
        on github for now
21:12 < srevilak> Related to discussion software, heard back from MF/PL
        regarding dedicated CM
21:12 < srevilak> Related to discussion software, heard back from MF/PL
        regarding dedicated VM
21:13 < srevilak> seems like that might be out of our budget for now
21:13 < jokeefe> yes, could put it in a budget and try to fundraise for it
21:14 < srevilak> MF/PL seems very willing to negotiate members on need
        and ability to pay, but $600/year would be a bit much
21:14 < srevilak> $600/year is entry level point
21:14 < jokeefe> Yes
21:15 < jokeefe> So lets see what we can do with other software
21:15 < srevilak> agreed
21:16 < jokeefe> Conference - Posted the topics people have suggested
        so far
21:17 < srevilak> jokeefe: plank writing could be a good topic for
21:17 < jokeefe> Yes
21:17 < srevilak> small group discussions, write stuff on big pieces of
        paper, and tally up afterwards
21:18 < srevilak> seems a good way to get lots of ideas in a short period
        of time
21:18 < jokeefe> yes
21:19 < srevilak> If we have four 1hr slots, and dedicate 1 of them to
        building platform, that should leave us with three, no?
21:19 < srevilak> (options for three speakers, panels)
21:19 < jokeefe> Yes
21:20 < jokeefe> plus lightning talks allow for options as well
21:20 < srevilak> agreed
21:21 < jokeefe> WorkBar was too expensive, but a cryptoparty is a
21:21 < srevilak> ok
21:21 < jokeefe> Will get out an announcement about the location out
21:21 < srevilak> thx
21:22 < jokeefe> Fundraising - No update from last meeting.
21:22 < srevilak> So far, I like surveillance ordinances, RVC.
2,3,4 could be presented as one panel
21:22 < srevilak> We've almost broken even on fundraising
21:23 < srevilak> That's not too bad
21:23 < jokeefe> and we still need to follow up with the other potential
21:24 < jokeefe> Campaign Workshops - Tuesday, 4/25 works for you?
21:25 < srevilak> Logistics will be a bit tricky, but I can make it work
21:26 < jokeefe> great.  I will plan it as well.
21:27 < jokeefe> Could also be a topic at the conference. Might get
        pizza for lunch and get another hour talk
21:28 < jokeefe> Message board application - any progress?
21:29 < srevilak> Nothing from me, beyond info about dedicated VM hosting
21:30 < srevilak> but it seems like we have other options to explore
21:31 < jokeefe> self hosting loomio looks useful. PPNL used it to write
        their platform.
21:31 < srevilak> nice
21:32 < jokeefe> Local Surveillance Ordinances - you already covered it
        for Arlington, no update on Cambridge/Somerville. Will know more Thursday
21:32 < jokeefe> Cryptoparties - Still working on the LGBT cryptoparty
21:33 < jokeefe> That is all I have.  Anything else?
21:33 < srevilak> nothing here
21:34 < jokeefe> shall we adjourn, then?
21:34 < srevilak> I did get a good FOIA resonse before I left
21:34 < jokeefe> oh?
21:34 < srevilak> from NSA -- their intranet home page
21:34 < srevilak> will post when I'm back
21:34 < srevilak> Only took three years
21:34 < srevilak> two of them for segregation
21:34 < srevilak> we can adjourn
21:34 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
21:34 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:35 < srevilak> will post transcript
21:35 < jokeefe> have a good night
21:35 < jokeefe> thanks