Difference between revisions of "March 27th, 2018 IRC Meeting"

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
 
Line 171: Line 171:
 
[9:49pm] jokeefe: like an ether pad
 
[9:49pm] jokeefe: like an ether pad
 
[9:49pm] Dmitri: k
 
[9:49pm] Dmitri: k
 +
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Will post details about the Somerville Pirates meeting/brunch on the 8th
 +
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Well that is all I have and it looks like Joe signed off.
 +
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn?
 +
[9:52pm] Dmitri: sounds good
 +
[9:52pm] Dmitri: cheers all.
 +
[9:52pm] hvxgr: sure
 +
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Have a wonderfull night
 +
[9:52pm] hvxgr: Good night all.
  
  

Latest revision as of 21:53, 27 March 2018

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Video Newsletter

  • Planning for next video.
  • Videos of the November candidate workshop have been uploaded
  • Equifax video has been uploaded

2018 Elections

Trainings:

  1. Videos

Digital Right of Repair

Details.

Amazon HQ2

Budget

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Yearly Conference

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Statements In Process

  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • hvxgr: Tom Rodman / Milwaukee
  • Dmitri

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:08pm] jokeefe: agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_27th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:08pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:08pm] Pirate_25567: I see.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:09pm] Pirate_25567: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:09pm] hvxgr: Tom Rodman / Milwaukee
[9:09pm] Pirate_25567: I am attending the meeting via phone so this is a bit choppy.
[9:09pm] jokeefe: no worries. will attempt to keep it quick
[9:10pm] Pirate_25567: I did not get a chance to send out the email like planned but I will do so after the meeting instead.
[9:10pm] Pirate_25567: No need. I have plenty of time tonight
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - No progress yet. Will finish them up by Friday.
[9:10pm] Pirate_25567: Unless that is your wish.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:11pm] Dmitri joined the chat room.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: 2018 Elections - Revising scripts is not yet complete. Hope to have it down by this weekend
[9:11pm] jokeefe: ahoy Dimitri
[9:11pm] Dmitri: hi there!
[9:11pm] Pirate_25567: ahoy
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_27th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Minutes so far: https://masspirates.org/wiki/March_27th,_2018_IRC_Meeting#Minutes
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Digital Right of Repair: last push for the bill by April 9th
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Will add it to the next email
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Locally I have been busy helping to plan cryptoparty at the Museum of Science and with the local mesh networking effort
[9:14pm] Pirate_25567: may I add a topic here?
[9:14pm] jokeefe: please
[9:14pm] Pirate_25567: https://youtu.be/xailk5jC5EM
[9:14pm] jokeefe: sorry, skipped that question
[9:15pm] Pirate_25567: Major off media podcaster goes into Facebook data mining
[9:16pm] Pirate_25567: no worries  our meetings have been briefer for a while now
[9:17pm] jokeefe: what topic do you want to add? Facebook/CambAnalytics?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: There have been a lot of posts about how to download your data or close your account
[9:18pm] Pirate_25567: Yes but only as a quick side note for a newsletter, not as a major topic
[9:19pm] Pirate_25567: Such as to add to a crypto party or something, nothing major
[9:20pm] jokeefe: agreed. Added as one of the topics at the MOS cryptoparty: https://piratenpad.de/p/WhoCanTeachAtAnMACryptoparty
[9:21pm] jokeefe: would be good to do a how to as part of the video newsletter
[9:22pm] Pirate_25567: As a public warning perhaps?
[9:22pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:25pm] Pirate_25567: What direction do you want to take the right to repair?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Promote the existing bill
[9:26pm] Pirate_25567: Sorry, I mean what would you like us to do to support it?
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Call MA house reps/senators
[9:27pm] jokeefe: BTW: Somerville Pirates have a meeting/brunch on the 8th
[9:28pm] Pirate_25567: I will have both sons that day unfortunately.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: No worries. The focus is on Somerville
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Also working with a Cambridge Pirate to setup a Cambridge Pirate meetup as well
[9:30pm] Pirate_25567: That's great.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: That is all the progress I have
[9:32pm] Pirate_25567: That is all I currently have in new topics, One question for old business though.
[9:33pm] Pirate_25567: For the renewal of the domains, do you want that as in kind or do you want to be reimbursed?
[9:34pm] jokeefe: I haven’t given my limit, so I don’t need to be reimbursed
[9:35pm] Pirate_25567: ok. Thank you.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: where are you from Dimitri?
[9:36pm] Pirate_25567: Just want to be on point with the books so they cannot get us there.
[9:36pm] Pirate_25567: That's all I have.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Very good idea
[9:37pm] Pirate_25567: 😎
[9:37pm] Dmitri: Originally from the former USSR  Somerville, currently
[9:37pm] jokeefe: cool. you should come to the Somerville Cryptoparty tomorrow
[9:38pm] Dmitri: what time is it, again?
[9:38pm] jokeefe: https://www.cryptoparty.in/boston
[9:38pm] jokeefe: 6pm	Monthly Digital Security 101	Sprout: 339R Summer Street, Somerville
[9:38pm] Dmitri: ah, dammit.  was thinking of going to the Boston Node.js meetup tomorrow evening. now I gotta decide eh 
[9:40pm] Dmitri: ok.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: It is the last Wed. of the month so there will be one in April
[9:41pm] jokeefe: We are always looking for teachers
[9:42pm] Dmitri: sure thing.
[9:43pm] Dmitri: am always happy to present on stuff.
[9:45pm] Dmitri: I do software development and crypto, for dayjob. what's funny is that I haven't really dived in to everyday consumer-level kind of digital security. (so many devs are luddites  ). But I spose teaching is best way to learn.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Well if you want to help the Museum of Science cryptoparty, the places we need folks is listed at https://piratenpad.de/p/WhoCanTeachAtAnMACryptoparty
[9:45pm] jokeefe: [9:21pm]
[9:45pm] Pirate_25567 left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:46pm] jokeefe: quite understand. So much to know and do.
[9:46pm] Dmitri: I'd love to help there. I can take the email encryption part.
[9:47pm] Dmitri: or the downloading social media & deleting accounts.
[9:47pm] Dmitri: although I'm curious what we're proposing as alternatives. Mastodon and such?
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Good question
[9:48pm] jokeefe: would be good to bring it up on the email list
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Feel free to update the page with what you are willing to teach
[9:48pm] jokeefe: Thank you!
[9:49pm] Dmitri: np. (there's no save button or anything, right, one just types?)
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Yes, just type. It auto saves
[9:49pm] jokeefe: like an ether pad
[9:49pm] Dmitri: k
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Will post details about the Somerville Pirates meeting/brunch on the 8th
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Well that is all I have and it looks like Joe signed off.
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn?
[9:52pm] Dmitri: sounds good 
[9:52pm] Dmitri: cheers all.
[9:52pm] hvxgr: sure
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Have a wonderfull night
[9:52pm] hvxgr: Good night all.