March 6th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 22:17, 6 March 2014 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Fundraiser

Tasks & Events

  1. Support, Outreach & Finances
    1. Bitpay - srevilak
    2. Finance update
    3. Event checklist
  2. Whistleblower Protest - Sat. Mar 8th, 1-3pm, Logan Airport, Terminal E.
    1. Logistics
    2. Outreach
      1. Blog Post -done
      2. Email
      3. Facebook event - done
      4. Posts - posting
    3. Press Release - srevilak
      1. Media List - done
      2. First PR - done
      3. Second PR - who will send?
    4. Flier design
    5. Recording & Photos
    6. Contingency plans & Legal paperwork
  3. 3/16, Sunday, St. Patrick's Day Veterans for Peace Parade, 3-5pm (Bluestreak)
  4. March Cryptoparty
  5. Fundraiser
    1. pad
    2. Blog Posts
      1. Fundraiser Call for Artists
      2. Event
    3. Artists
    4. Logistics
    5. Fliers - Need to give text to artist
  6. 3/25, Tues., Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access, 7-9pm, at Tufts University.
  7. 2014 Campaign
    1. Status - 2 candidates gathering signatures
    2. Training Video Status
    3. Voter registration app
    4. Set dates/locations for trainings - Feb, Mar
  8. September 2014 Conference - Need location & date

Upcoming Event List

  1. 3/8, 1-3pm Whistleblower Protest, Logan Airport, Terminal E
  2. 3/16 VFP Peace Parade
  3. 3/22 - 3/23, LibrePlanet 2014 Conference, MIT, Cambridge, MA
  4. 3/25, Tues., Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access, 7-9pm, at Tufts University.
  5. 4/26, noon, Jobs Not Jails: Rally to End Mass Incarceration and Fund Job Creation, Boston Common


  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)


  • ageis
  • davidd
  • zby


Democracy center fundraiser. We're going to ask democracy center to move our date to 5/9. Steve will contact democracy center.

Moving 3/21 fundraiser to Globe restaurant (Boston, Copley square). Jamie to call restaurant. Steve to call newspapers, to see about submitting "calendar" listings.

Airport protest. Steve will print signs of whistleblower names, and mount on posterboard. Meet at Logan airport terminal E, 13:00. Dress nicely.

Meeting Minutes


[9:07pm] jokeefe: agenda -,_2014_IRC_Meeting [9:07pm] srevilak: Hmm - I should look into this: [9:08pm] jokeefe: yes [9:11pm] jokeefe: looking for others [9:12pm] srevilak: BTW - [9:12pm] srevilak: prep work for kicking the tires on civicrm [9:13pm] srevilak: So far, I've just set up the web site, OpenID auth, and an SSL cert [9:13pm] srevilak: civicrm next [9:14pm] srevilak: could also be useful for us at some point [9:14pm] jokeefe: nice [9:14pm] jokeefe: oh they have an ownclowd [9:14pm] jokeefe: yes that would be good [9:16pm] srevilak: yeah, owncloud is pretty neat [9:17pm] jokeefe: well lets start [9:17pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA [9:17pm] jokeefe: James O'Keefe, Somerville [9:17pm] jokeefe: agenda -,_2014_IRC_Meeting [9:19pm] srevilak: should we start with fundraiser, or wait to see if others join? [9:19pm] jokeefe: yes, lets start [9:20pm] srevilak: I'm in favor of postponing until after signature gathering [9:20pm] jokeefe: What do you think about having a smaller one on the 21st? [9:20pm] jokeefe: I like Kendra's idea. [9:20pm] jokeefe: All we need is a place [9:21pm] srevilak: still do it at the democracy center? [9:21pm] jokeefe: no was thinking of a restaurant, unless they can't reschedule. [9:22pm] srevilak: no objections to a restaurant [9:22pm] srevilak: regarding democracy center, should we try to cancel outright, or change our reservation to a different date [9:22pm] jokeefe: I think we should still go forward with it, just want more time. [9:23pm] jokeefe: decide on a lineup soon, and the budget for it and go forward with it. [9:23pm] jokeefe: May 31st seemed ok [9:23pm] srevilak: agreed. 3/21 can be core supports, and (later) can be a more festive production [9:23pm] • srevilak looks at calendar [9:24pm] srevilak: 5/31 is okay with me. Shall I contact Sarah and ask to switch the dates? [9:24pm] jokeefe: 31st is taken [9:24pm] jokeefe: 9th and 16th [9:26pm] jokeefe: preference? [9:26pm] srevilak: Fri May 16th is good [9:27pm] jokeefe: Together Boston is that week [9:28pm] srevilak: Not familiar with Together Boston. Is that an overlap we want to avoid? [9:28pm] jokeefe: [9:28pm] jokeefe: week long electronic music show [9:29pm] srevilak: so I guess we're looking at the 9th? [9:31pm] srevilak: How about this. I'll get in touch with Sarah, tell her we can't do the 21st. Hopefully they'll have time to re-book. [9:32pm] jokeefe: guess so. only other is 6/14 [9:32pm] srevilak: I'll say we'd like to reschedule for late spring/early summer [9:32pm] srevilak: 6/14 is the pride parade [9:33pm] jokeefe: no, we need to pick a date or it will be taken. [9:33pm] jokeefe: 5/9 then, two months should be enough [9:33pm] srevilak: Okay, I'll ask sarah to move us to may 9th. [9:34pm] srevilak: Hopefully that date works with everyone else [9:34pm] jokeefe: hopefully [9:35pm] jokeefe: recommendations for what to do the 21st? [9:35pm] jokeefe: where mostly [9:35pm] srevilak: That's tough. We have one candidate in Worcester and one in Somerville [9:36pm] srevilak: Could do something in one place, and lose the other audience. Or do something in the middle and lose both [9:36pm] jokeefe: yeah [9:36pm] srevilak: Hate to say it, but given the locations, I think we may need two small fundraiser dinners [9:37pm] srevilak: One in Somerville, and one in Worcester [9:37pm] srevilak: 3/21 -- let's ask Joe and Noe who wants that date [9:37pm] srevilak: wdyt? [9:38pm] jokeefe: does donating your house for a fundraiser need to be reported? [9:39pm] jokeefe: could do the place we went to after the conference [9:39pm] jokeefe: ? [9:39pm] srevilak: based on AO-98-17, I suspect that having a FR at ones house would be a personal service [9:40pm] srevilak: and that in-kind would apply only to the extent you go beyond "reasonable hospitality" [9:41pm] srevilak: We could use the globe restaurant. [9:41pm] srevilak: Taking a step back -- is 3/21 to raise funds for MAPP, or to help raise funds for candidates? [9:42pm] srevilak: for former, Boston seems okay. For latter, should hold in candidate's hometown [9:42pm] jokeefe: was thinking the party - but can always ask folks if they would give to candidates as well. [9:42pm] jokeefe: private events -!vstc1=private-events/vstc0=private-events. [9:43pm] srevilak: heh, I first read the url as "pirate events" [9:43pm] jokeefe: lol [9:44pm] jokeefe: of course 3/21 would be a difficult time to get into the city [9:44pm] srevilak: Something special about 3/21 -- or just the fact that it's Friday? [9:45pm] jokeefe: seven people are coming to it [9:46pm] jokeefe: 9 maybe [9:48pm] srevilak: Would globe let us book a function, but let people order off the menu? [9:48pm] jokeefe: don't know. cannot hurt to ask [9:49pm] jokeefe: I can call them tonight or tomorrow [9:49pm] srevilak: thx [9:49pm] srevilak: We can see how the change in venue affects turnout [9:50pm] jokeefe: yes [9:51pm] srevilak: This is progress. That leaves us with two pieces: agenda, and promotion [9:51pm] srevilak: act-ma works. I'd also like to try local papers. [9:52pm] jokeefe: so we each have calls to make [9:52pm] srevilak: Arlington and Somerville papers both have calendars. I'll check for one in Boston [9:52pm] jokeefe: there are some public event sites as well [9:52pm] srevilak: Meetup [9:52pm] jokeefe: yes [9:53pm] jokeefe: easy to setup [9:53pm] jokeefe: almost at time [9:53pm] srevilak: I'll try to do a simple flyer this weekend [9:54pm] jokeefe: thanks., though kate offered to do one. [9:54pm] ageis: im here, dont have much to add but I'm reading everything [9:54pm] jokeefe: not to dissuade you just dividing up the work [9:54pm] jokeefe: hi aegis, good work on barrett [9:55pm] jokeefe: whistleblower - going to send the email to members tonight [9:55pm] ageis: thx [9:55pm] jokeefe: only other thing is getting the PR out on Saturday morning [9:56pm] srevilak: So, meet @ logan at 13:00 [9:56pm] jokeefe: yes [9:56pm] jokeefe: Terminal E - Arrivals [9:56pm] srevilak: I'll check with Kendra, to see if she'll be able to video record [9:56pm] jokeefe: thank you [9:56pm] srevilak: If not, maybe Jason Pramus (he responded to FB event) [9:57pm] srevilak: rationale: if someone official wants to talk to us, we should have an objective recording of what happens [9:57pm] jokeefe: yes, KT might be there as well [9:58pm] srevilak: ok, good [9:58pm] srevilak: Will dust off my suit. May even wear a tie [9:58pm] srevilak: Ah printing [9:58pm] jokeefe: [9:59pm] jokeefe: any word on when we need to setup for 3/16, Sunday, St. Patrick's Day Veterans for Peace Parade? [9:59pm] srevilak: VPF generally posts assembly info on their web site [9:59pm] srevilak: Did Lucia tell the organizers that we plan to attend? [9:59pm] jokeefe: I think so [10:00pm] srevilak: Will check with her [10:00pm] jokeefe: assemble 1pm [10:00pm] srevilak: I'll print out a couple of copies of the signs. [10:00pm] jokeefe: parade starts at 2pm - [10:00pm] srevilak: I should have some posterboard to tape them to [10:01pm] jokeefe: for Saturday? [10:01pm] srevilak: yes, for saturday [10:01pm] srevilak: re, parade. Assemble = 1pm. South boston is a mob scene; leave plenty of time to get there [10:01pm] jokeefe: yes [10:02pm] srevilak: Any other flyers to hand out on Sat? [10:03pm] jokeefe: I don't have any [10:03pm] jokeefe: do you have time to put them together? [10:04pm] srevilak: Might be tight. Aside from printing whistleblowers, I want to mount them on poster board, so they'll look better [10:05pm] srevilak: I think we'll be okay w/o other literature. We'll just have to talk to people [10:05pm] srevilak: And no one can accuse us of litering [10:05pm] jokeefe: aye! [10:06pm] jokeefe: any word from Kendra about the march crypto party or are we too over stretched do one in March? [10:06pm] srevilak: Kendra put me in touch with IWW folks. Started talking, picked E5 as a prospective site. Haven't picked a date [10:06pm] srevilak: I'd be okay with skipping march [10:07pm] srevilak: Are you going to libre planet? [10:07pm] jokeefe: perhaps. gotta get signatures for Noe [10:07pm] srevilak: Ah [10:08pm] srevilak: I'll bring some handouts, to leave at table. Try to form a pirate social on Sat night. [10:08pm] srevilak: Got all of three people last year [10:08pm] jokeefe: sounds like a plan. [10:09pm] jokeefe: we also have 3/25, Tues., Net Neutrality and the Future of Internet Access [10:09pm] srevilak: Ah yes. [10:10pm] srevilak: Okay, we've got a full March ahead of us. [10:10pm] srevilak: We're a little over time. Motion to adjourn? [10:11pm] jokeefe: yes and yes. I gotta go write the email blast. 2nd [10:11pm] jokeefe: all in favor? [10:11pm] jokeefe: aye [10:11pm] srevilak: One quick thing [10:11pm] srevilak: For meeting on Sat. Logan E terminal is pretty big. [10:11pm] srevilak: Pick an airline and meet in front of their service desk? [10:12pm] srevilak: Or, something more specific than just "Terminal E"? [10:12pm] jokeefe: Arrivals - [10:13pm] srevilak: loading .... [10:13pm] jokeefe: where people come out near the baggage claim was where I was thinking [10:14pm] srevilak: So, how about between second door from the right, and hall to baggage check? [10:14pm] jokeefe: basically [10:15pm] srevilak: Will add map to blog post, with "meet here" [10:15pm] jokeefe: ok. thank you. [10:16pm] srevilak: back to motion to adjourn [10:16pm] srevilak: aye [10:16pm] jokeefe: motion carries [10:16pm] jokeefe: have a good night