May 1st, 2019 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:48, 1 May 2019 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Review

Officer/Pirate Council Elections

Office Choice Winner(s) Votes
Captain James O'Keefe * 18
First Officer Steve Revilak * 11
Joseph Onoroski 5
Abstain 2
Quartermaster Joseph Onoroski * 16
Abstain 2
PR/Media Director Joseph Onoroski * 16
Abstain 2
Activism Director Malt Schlitzmann * 16
Abstain 1
None of the Above 1
Swarmwise Director Christine (Christopher) Reynolds * 15
Abstain 3
Web/Info Director Christine (Christopher) Reynolds * 15
Abstain 3
Arbitrators Steve Revilak * 5
James O'Keefe * 12
None of the Above 1
Representatives to the US Pirate Party Joseph Onoroski * 10
Malt Schlitzmann * 5
Abstain 2
None of the Above 1

jokeefe will schedule a follow up meeting with new elected folks and volunteers.

Worcester Pirate Meetup

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Video Newsletter

  • Next pirate news recording?
  • Make a video supporting the European Pirates in the upcoming EU election?

Mesh Net

Cryptoparties

Tech/Outreach

  • need to schedule a May meeting
  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Election Campaigns

Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. There isn't a hearing date for it yet.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

Update Platform

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers

Sargon of Akkad

Bearing

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 5/7, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 5/14, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/18, 10:30am-1:45pm, Somerville-area Pirate Meetup, Somerville Public Library, 79 Highland Ave., Somerville
  • 5/21, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/23-26, European Parliamentary Elections, #VotePirate
  • 5/28, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/4, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/22, 11am-4pm, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke

Participants

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • igel[m]
  • hvxgr
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen
  • bonelesspepsi[m]
  • 0FRAAAAC8

Summary

  • Agreed to support the Stop & Shop Strikers. jokeefe will ask Moses to write a statement
  • Will record the next pirate news show on Sunday, 8pm.
  • Agreed to push the date that ballot are due back two days to 4/27.


Minutes

 


[9:02pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_1st,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:02pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:02pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] Malt: sam capradae, worcester
[9:02pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Actually, I would like motion to table guest speakers for the moment
[9:04pm] DesmondRavenstone: second
[9:04pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:04pm] Malt: aye
[9:04pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:04pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Anything else?
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty, I'll edit the agenda
[9:05pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Officer/Pirate Council Elections - I posted the election results
[9:05pm] jokeefe: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_1st,_2019_IRC_Meeting#Officer.2FPirate_Council_Elections
[9:07pm] Malt: nice turnout
[9:08pm] jokeefe: And quick
[9:08pm] Malt: few more years i think Abstain might have a real shot
[9:08pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, 1 person voted for none of the above on having us represent the Mass Pirates at the National level
[9:09pm] jokeefe: that is their choice
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: To whom thinks I should not represent us, I would be happy discuss or in the very least learn to do it better.
[9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone: Would that be Mr. Above or Ms. Above?
[9:09pm] Malt: Mx. Above
[9:09pm] jokeefe: No idea
[9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone: LOL
[9:10pm] Malt: i wonder if it's that pepe dude who runs with boston free speech now?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: he left
[9:10pm] DesmondRavenstone: Pepe Le Peuw?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Worcester Pirate Meetup
[9:10pm] Malt: bad pepe
[9:10pm] Malt: yeah that was a bust
[9:10pm] Malt: i had a few folks message me AFTER asking for summaries of what they can do to get involved
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Cool. I gave a good talk on how to run.
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, we can hold another meeting later this year if you like.
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Did you have time to record a few videos?
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Unfortunately not
[9:12pm] jokeefe: I am working on turning it into a set of smaller videos
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Malt, if you want to have another meetup I am game to come out.
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry I did not make it. I have had my eldest the last few weekends
[9:14pm] Malt: family comes first
[9:14pm] Malt: i'll see what i can finagle
[9:15pm] jokeefe: thanks.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: let’s talk over email about how they can get involved.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings - Somerville on the 18th. Holyoke is scheduled
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - Suggestions for how we can improve them?
[9:18pm] Malt: nice
[9:19pm] Malt: start the video with some technical advice?
[9:19pm] Malt: how to delete google's search and location history
[9:19pm] Malt: that kind of thing
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: I was thinking we make them more click-bait-ie
[9:20pm] jokeefe: a brief how to? let’s try it. I can always use help in choosing titles
[9:21pm] jokeefe: and we should think about topics
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: agreed, when do you want the next meeting?
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Sunday morning would be good
[9:23pm] Malt: i think i'm free, around what time?
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: I may be able to do it this Sunday
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: 10 am?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: That works for me
[9:26pm] Malt: ok
[9:26pm] jokeefe: 10am then?
[9:27pm] Malt: sure
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Make a video supporting the European Pirates in the upcoming EU election?
[9:28pm] jokeefe: doesn’t need to be long.
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: Perfect. I would like to do a few if possible
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: There are a couple of topics I would like to review but no rush.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: let’s try
[9:29pm] Malt: which topics, and do we know who's running in the EU election?
[9:29pm] jokeefe: pirates
[9:29pm] Malt: more specifically?
[9:29pm] Malt: like, who are we telling folks to vote for
[9:30pm] jokeefe: They tend to use proportional representation, so it is less about candidates and more about party
[9:30pm] Malt: ahh ok
[9:30pm] jokeefe: however, Czech pirates are expected to do well and German pirates will hopefully get a seat
[9:31pm] jokeefe: or more
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Anything more on the Sex worker front?
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Now that it's getting warmer, I think another vigil should be in order
[9:32pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone?
[9:33pm] DesmondRavenstone: Yes?
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Another vigil?
[9:33pm] DesmondRavenstone: If you mean for sex worker rights, two issues
[9:33pm] Malt: something with red umbrellas
[9:33pm] Malt: could we get a lot of red cocktail umbrellas and set them up somewhere?
[9:34pm] Malt: to represent the rate of abuse or something
[9:34pm] DesmondRavenstone: 1) there isn't really a day or event recognized
[9:34pm] jokeefe: nice visual, Malt
[9:34pm] DesmondRavenstone: 2) the sex worker community in Boston is very disorganized and mistrustful of outsiders
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Then lets make one
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Invite them all and if no one shows up then we will get all the attention
[9:35pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone, that seems understandable. Any suggestions for trying to get people together to talk?
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: get a women's right group to support us
[9:36pm] DesmondRavenstone: Let me try reconnecting with SWOP-USA (a national group) and see if they have any leads
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: and get the press involved
[9:36pm] jokeefe: less vigil and more meet and greet
[9:36pm] DesmondRavenstone: Right now, the small (virtually invisible) group seems to sabotage themselves and anyone else who try to organize on the issue
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: Looks like efforts by law students have been shot down by these folks
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Omg, I know!!!!
[9:37pm] jokeefe: what were the objections?
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: Let me touch base w SWOP-USA see if they have a better idea of what's going on here
[9:37pm] jokeefe: ok, thanks
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Do a rights protect at the Pat's stadium
[9:38pm] Malt: what if, everyone who knows a sex worker wears one of those little red paper umbrellas on a day
[9:38pm] Malt: something to normalize it, show how integrated they are into the communtiy
[9:38pm] DesmondRavenstone: The objections from this small group were that they ought to do everything, they mistrust outsiders (especially men) and think all sorts of folks are out to undermine them.
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: Until it's legal we do not want to give cops a lead
[9:38pm] jokeefe: I think that is a good idea, but I feel like that comes after other efforts to build shared purpose
[9:39pm] Malt: fair
[9:39pm] DesmondRavenstone: As to Malt's idea … providing buttons for folks to wear could be good. I'll look into that.
[9:39pm] jokeefe: How about we build trust by following their lead?
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Ask how they would like us to help, rather then asking them to help us?
[9:40pm] jokeefe: We can make buttons
[9:40pm] jokeefe: If someone can make a design
[9:40pm] DesmondRavenstone: FOLKS, HALT THE CHATTER RIGHT NOW let me explain fully the situation]
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: Pirate flag with a red umbrella under Mass
[9:41pm] DesmondRavenstone: Pirate_Joe -- please let me explain
[9:41pm] Malt: uh
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: I will make and send to list
[9:42pm] jokeefe: thanks, DesmondRavenstone, please proceed
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: The current "sex worker group" is very small, mistrustful, refuses to do public activites, refuses to engage in dialogue, want's everything their way even thought it currently means dloing nothing. I wonder if they've been taken over by "hard-left" types who like to sit and theorize. IMHO better to touch base with national SWer activists, see if th
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: ere are others to engage with, and go from there. Until then, let's put this on hold until I can put on the agenda for discussion.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Thanks for talking with the national group and seeing what they recommend
[9:45pm] Malt: i'm just spitballing ideas here
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: Please talk with the national group and if need be we can table next week
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparties - My talk at Code for Boston went well. slides and video at https://www.jamesokeefe.org/2019/05/app-privacy-workshop/
[9:45pm] DesmondRavenstone: When I get feedback from them, I'll contact @jokeefe to put on the agenda again.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: ok, thank you
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: Agenda updated
[9:47pm] Malt: awesome work!
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Tech/Outreach - Working on a date for the next one