Difference between revisions of "May 22nd, 2019 IRC Meeting"

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 87: Line 87:
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
  
 
+
* jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
 +
* Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
 +
* Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
 +
* srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlnigton
  
 
=== Observers ===
 
=== Observers ===
Line 99: Line 102:
 
== Summary ==
 
== Summary ==
  
* Agreed to support the Stop & Shop Strikers. jokeefe will ask Moses to write a statement
 
* Will record the next pirate news show on Sunday, 8pm.
 
* Agreed to push the date that ballot are due back two days to 4/27.
 
  
  

Latest revision as of 21:50, 29 May 2019

Review

National meeting

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Video Newsletter

  • Next pirate news recording?

Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws

Mesh Net

Cryptoparties

Tech/Outreach

  • need to schedule a May meeting
  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Election Campaigns

Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. There isn't a hearing date for it yet.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

Update Platform

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 5/23-26, European Parliamentary Elections, #VotePirate
  • 5/28, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/4, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 6/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/18, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/22, 11am-4pm, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke
  • 6/25, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
  • srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlnigton

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • hvxgr_
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:02pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_22nd,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:02pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:03pm] jokeefe: agenda additions?
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Review, National meeting
[9:04pm] Malt: Forgot about it this week, sorry fellas
[9:04pm] Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
[9:04pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:04pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlnigton
[9:04pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: That's why we went to weekly, so if you miss one it's not as bad.
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahoy srevilak!
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:05pm] srevilak: argh.can't.type ...
[9:05pm] jokeefe: National meeting
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: We now have weekly meetings and welcome all to attend
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: They are Monday's as this same time slot but only for 30 minutes.
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: And we are looking to form a PAC at the national level as well.
[9:06pm] srevilak: nice
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: Any help on this would be grand, esp since I'm basing the national party on ours.
[9:07pm] jokeefe: always happy to help
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Plus if we have funds on the national level, then we will be able to make a yearly Washington D.C. thing a thing.
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: If that makes sense.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: would be good to have a national gathering
[9:08pm] Malt: Hi steve
[9:08pm] Malt: I'll be out next week in general but after I'll try
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Fund = doing stuff!
[9:09pm] jokeefe: anything else on national party issues?
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: The only other thing of note is yearly elections are coming up.
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: jokeefe, do you remember the dates exactly?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: July 29th
[9:10pm] jokeefe: https://wiki.pirate-party.us/PNC_05/20/19
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you, that is all I have.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Somerville meeting was just srevilak and I. We left early, but before I left, two more people arrived, so I ran a digital security 101 training
[9:12pm] srevilak: sorry I missed that
[9:12pm] jokeefe: No worries
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: so am I
[9:13pm] jokeefe: They came down from NH
[9:14pm] jokeefe: I finally have an on-camera mic so I should be able to record something passable when srevilak or Pirate_Joe aren’t there with their microphones
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: The microphone that I forgot the plug for the last two times?
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Next one is less than a month away in Holyoke.  Going to start reaching out to WMass folks this weekend.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Don’t have anything setup for July, though.  Thinking we should have a party conference in the Fall.  Suggestions for dates/months?
[9:16pm] Malt: Not September
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: How about a Boston common meet up?
[9:16pm] Malt: Gonna be fairly busy then
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: That way it's free. 
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Was thinking about that too. Could do August picnic and camera mapping again.
[9:16pm] Malt: I like it!
[9:17pm] srevilak: camera mapping is always a good activity
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Isn’t the Worcester Pride parade in September?
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: I was hoping for a bbq in August, possibly back in Lowell.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Well if you want to host, Pirate_Joe….
[9:17pm] jokeefe: or is there a park we can bbq?
[9:18pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: If I can convince the misses, but I will find a suitable place.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: This is what I know about in September:
[9:19pm] jokeefe: 9/8, Worcester Pride Parade, Registration
[9:19pm] jokeefe: 9/8?, Cambridge Carnival & Parade
[9:19pm] jokeefe: 9/14-16, Freedom Rally, Sign Up Form
[9:19pm] jokeefe: 9/18, Day Against DRM
[9:19pm] jokeefe: 9/19, International Talk Like a Pirate Day
[9:19pm] jokeefe: 9/22-29, Together Boston, Cambridge
[9:20pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: BTW: 6/21, Edward Snowden's Birthday
[9:21pm] Malt: Nice
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: 9/19 would be a good day to
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: hit the streets
[9:22pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: Hand out flyers someplace public.
[9:22pm] Pirate_Joe: Yarg!
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Would October be a good month to have the yearly party conference?
[9:23pm] srevilak: I think October could work
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: It would be better for me.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Ok. will put out a poll for dates in October
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Hoping to get a meetup in Peabody
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:26pm] jokeefe: Latest video newsletter is up
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: Next meeting this Sunday. It would have to be a pm recording if I am to do it.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: I think Sunday evening is fine with me.  Others?
[9:27pm] Malt: I shan't be available
[9:27pm] jokeefe: we will miss you
[9:27pm] srevilak: I think I could do Sunday evening
[9:27pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:27pm] jokeefe: topics?
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: does 8pm work for you both?
[9:28pm] jokeefe: If need be
[9:29pm] srevilak: will work
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: I could possibly do 7pm, but 8 makes it much easier for me.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: I can do 8pm.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: 8pm it is. Next time Malt picks 
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: I hope he will get to attend soon.
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: The Sunday after I have a lot more flexibility.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Suggestions for topics?
[9:31pm] Malt:
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: srevilak, are there any topics you would like to focus on?
[9:32pm] srevilak: Pirate_Joe: will give it some thought
[9:33pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Well....
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Mike Gravel, a pirate-ish candidate?
[9:34pm] srevilak: candidate for what?
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Prez
[9:34pm] Malt: I keep seeing his name crop up
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: We could just have fun with this one, call it an off the cuff video and let the conversation go natural.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Might be better to look at multiple candidates based on what we know of their voting record rather than focus on just one
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: There is that one guy that is focused on voke schools.
[9:37pm] jokeefe: How about bringing it up on the activists and list and solicit input
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: I
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: I was hoping to solicit input on the video as well.  Make it more of a question than statement.
[9:39pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Will schedule the recording
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: Informing the public about who is who sounds like a natural story for publication.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:41pm] jokeefe: anything else on this topic?
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: That is all I currently have.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws
[9:42pm] jokeefe: haven’t had a chance to write it. should be able to get it by tomorrow.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: igel[m] - do you have a Mesh Net update?
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: Is there a MeshNet in Lowell yet?
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Don’t think so. First nodes are going up in Boston and surrounding communities
[9:44pm] jokeefe: You could be the first one the hardware is locked down
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparties
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Looking at doing another at the Boston Public Library. There should be one in June as well in Somerville
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: I may be able to provide a location for it, there is a school right behind me so that would aid quite a few students.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: what about asking Lowell Makes?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: srevilak - is there a socialist conference coming up in Boston?
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: I was hoping to use my other Library reservation to hold one there.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: whatever works for you, Pirate_Joe
[9:46pm] srevilak: not yet
[9:47pm] srevilak: BSUP is still working out issues stemming from last conference
[9:48pm] jokeefe: good to know
[9:48pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Asside - Looks like 6/29 is the time for the leadership/activist meeting. Christine cannot attend in the morning. would shifting to afternoon/evening work for you all?
[9:50pm] srevilak: I could do afternoon
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Malt / Pirate_Joe?
[9:51pm] Pirate_Joe: Unfortunately, I may be unable to attend. Will discuss later with more details.
[9:51pm] Pirate_Joe: I may be able to attend via wireless. 
[9:51pm] Malt: I am really not sure
[9:53pm] jokeefe: good to know. thanks. will see what I can work out
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Tech/Outreach - still working on the next meeting
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent - since we don’t know when the hearing will be, I’ll dig up my previous testimony and draft a new statement.
[9:54pm] jokeefe: That is all I have for updates
[9:55pm] Pirate_Joe: Motion to Adjourn?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[9:55pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:55pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:55pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:55pm] srevilak: aye
[9:55pm] Malt: Aye
[9:56pm] Pirate_Joe: Have a great night everyone!
[9:56pm] jokeefe: aye to that
[9:56pm] jokeefe: thanks all