Difference between revisions of "May 29th, 2019 IRC Meeting"

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
 
Line 99: Line 99:
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
  
 
+
* jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
 +
* Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
 +
* ChristineR: Christine Reynolds Haverhill
  
 
=== Observers ===
 
=== Observers ===
Line 118: Line 120:
  
  
 +
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_29th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
 +
[9:02pm] jokeefe: ids
 +
[9:02pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
 +
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
 +
[9:03pm] ChristineR: Christine Reynolds Haverhill
 +
[9:03pm] ChristineR: (Christopher is my legal name)
 +
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
 +
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Not this week, work has been crushing
 +
[9:05pm] ChristineR: Looks good to me, nothing else comes to mind
 +
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
 +
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Leadership/activist/volunteer picnic - June 30th is open for us. Just trying to figure out the time.  Pirate_Joe, can you do the afternoon?
 +
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: End of the month usually is difficult for me, but I'll try to make it work.
 +
[9:07pm] ChristineR: Would another day be better, perhaps?
 +
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: 30th I should be back in town though
 +
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Looking at my schedule.
 +
[9:07pm] ChristineR: @Pirate_joe
 +
[9:07pm] ChristineR: okay
 +
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Also, it looks like the Pirate bbq may be a thing at the end of August
 +
[9:08pm] jokeefe: ChristineR: The 30th is the best day
 +
[9:09pm] ChristineR: Okay I was just double checking where he said end of the month is tough
 +
[9:10pm] jokeefe: I messaged Malt. Once I hear back, I’ll announce it.
 +
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Projects
 +
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Please make note of previously and poorly timed statement.
 +
[9:11pm] jokeefe: oh, ok. Well get back to me soon, as I would like to lock this down so we can promote it among activists and volunteers
 +
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, when I say may, it just means I need to book someone to cater it.
 +
[9:12pm] jokeefe: ah, thanks.
 +
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Depending on how much, this may be my in-kind if that is ok.
 +
[9:12pm] ChristineR: we're talking about the BBQ right? Picnic is definately going to be june 30th?
 +
[9:12pm] ChristineR: definitely*
 +
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, I'm making to more of a relaxed setting, for the late afternoon.
 +
[9:13pm] jokeefe: BBQ is late August. Picnic is hopefully June 30th
 +
[9:14pm] ChristineR: okay just making sure I'm on the same page
 +
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings - Working on turnout for the Holyoke meetup on the 22nd.
 +
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Lowell late August, then Pirate_Joe?
 +
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
 +
[9:16pm] ChristineR: Sorry, i've been off of facebook for a bit for personal reasons (messenger only), do we have a facebook event created for the Holyoke meetup
 +
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: August 24th would work best for me.
 +
[9:16pm] jokeefe: What time?
 +
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: It's a Saturday.
 +
[9:17pm] jokeefe: I created a facebook event for the Holyoke meeting, ChristineR
 +
[9:17pm] ChristineR: okay cool
 +
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: The time is not locked in 100% until we have a someone to cater.
 +
[9:17pm] jokeefe: https://www.facebook.com/events/2297358417253248/
 +
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: Looking to make the food part at least a 4 hour block
 +
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Ok to announce the day?
 +
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Sounds good
 +
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Great. will do.  Thanks.
 +
[9:19pm] ChristineR: I can go back on facebook in order to promote the holyoke meet up. Send out some invites and share it around
 +
[9:19pm] jokeefe: thanks!
 +
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - when to record the next one?
 +
[9:20pm] ChristineR: I see theres only 6 people interested and 0 marked as going
 +
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: We are recording a national news Sunday evening
 +
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: So preference would be to mornings.
 +
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: So my*
 +
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Morning is fine for me.
 +
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: Christine, would you care to join us?
 +
[9:22pm] ChristineR: sunday mornings are no good for me tbh
 +
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: No a problem, when would be better?
 +
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: If you are interested of course.
 +
[9:23pm] jokeefe: I am flexible
 +
[9:24pm] ChristineR: afternoon would be fine
 +
[9:24pm] ChristineR: like noon or later
 +
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: 2 Pm sound good?
 +
[9:25pm] jokeefe: fine by me
 +
[9:26pm] ChristineR: sure!
 +
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I am looking for more of a conversational one, and perhaps a bit off the cuff.
 +
[9:27pm] ChristineR: okay
 +
[9:27pm] jokeefe: ok. 2pm it is.
 +
[9:27pm] jokeefe: I will schedule it.
 +
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you jokeefe
 +
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Thoughts on setting up Local Chapters?
 +
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Town chapters?
 +
[9:29pm] jokeefe: yes
 +
[9:29pm] ChristineR: That's not a bad idea
 +
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: I am not sure I can commit the time to it atm
 +
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: Keeping my current duties in mind.
 +
[9:31pm] ChristineR: I thnk its a good idea, but I fear I wouldn't have enough time to fully dedicate to make it work either, if I'm being completely honest
 +
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Honesty is best.
 +
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: I am happy to support any town in the commonwealth, including my own.
 +
[9:32pm] ChristineR: I would definitely be interested in doing so down the line, IF things slow down for me
 +
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: So my vote is Nay
 +
[9:32pm] ChristineR: Same
 +
[9:33pm] ChristineR: Not at this time
 +
[9:33pm] jokeefe: I was thinking how do we encourage more people to setup local chapters?
 +
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: hmmm
 +
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: I would think sir that we would do so by doing it ourselves.
 +
[9:35pm] ChristineR: That would be good @jokeefe if we can come up with a solution to encourage others to do so
 +
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: If we start doing it, then others will as well, and I agree that it is a good idea, I am just not ready to implement it.
 +
[9:36pm] ChristineR: local chapters will definitely make the party stronger
 +
[9:36pm] ChristineR: However, I feel that Pirate_Joe is correct, that we will need to initiate it to get the ball rolling
 +
[9:37pm] ChristineR: and with lack of time to really get it going, I feel its just not going to work
 +
[9:37pm] jokeefe: We need local active chapters if we want to run in elections.
 +
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: I know what I'm getting you for the holidays jokeefe!
 +
[9:37pm] ChristineR: Of course if anyone has any other ideas for how to get local chapters going, I'm all ears
 +
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Megaphone-Speaker-Bullhorn-Built/dp/B002PAZZIK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=25LMHSM5CDCGB&keywords=bullhorn+with+siren&qid=1559180277&s=gateway&sprefix=bull+horn%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-3-spell
 +
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: We could just walk around and be loud, seems to work for the right.
 +
[9:38pm] ChristineR: @jokeefe I agree with you on that
 +
[9:39pm] jokeefe: We’ll lets talk about it at the activist/volunteers picnic.
 +
[9:39pm] ChristineR: @Pirate_Joe haha
 +
[9:39pm] jokeefe: and the party conference
 +
[9:39pm] ChristineR: @jokeefe good idea!
 +
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: that's all I have
 +
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Mesh Net - any update igel[m]?
 +
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparties - Have one scheduled in Somerville for June 26th hopefully
 +
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Tech/Outreach - Seeing if 6/15 works for a meeting
 +
[9:46pm] ChristineR: I could do that
 +
[9:46pm] ChristineR: Like that works for me*
 +
[9:46pm] ChristineR: Sorry tired
 +
[9:47pm] jokeefe: No worries. That is all I have updates for.
 +
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn early?
 +
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: 2nd
 +
[9:47pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
 +
[9:47pm] ChristineR: Sounds good to md
 +
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
 +
[9:47pm] jokeefe: aye
 +
[9:47pm] ChristineR: Have a goodnight all
 +
[9:47pm] jokeefe: good night
 +
[9:47pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the notes
 +
[9:48pm] ChristineR: Thanks!
  
  
 
   </nowiki>
 
   </nowiki>

Latest revision as of 21:48, 29 May 2019

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Leadership/activist/volunteer picnic

Projects

Goals for Q2:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize election
  • Organize Fundraiser(s)
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings

Leader:

Video Newsletter

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording?

Setup Local Chapters

Update Platform

Election Campaigns

Leader: James O'Keefe

Mesh Net

Leader: igel[m]

Cryptoparties

Leader:

Tech/Outreach

  • need to schedule a May meeting
  • find discussion/voting system
  • update blog theme
  • update civicrm software
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Tasks

Statement on Alabama/Ohio/Georgia Abortion ban bills/laws

Fight bills to make the Film Credit Permanent

HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. There isn't a hearing date for it yet.

Action items:

  • Tell our supporters how to oppose it
  • Look out for a hearing date
  • If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day

Tabled Projects

These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?

Boston Sex Worker Petition

Non-pirate guest speakers for Pirate News

CCTV camera map

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Video Newsletter guest speakers

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 6/4, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 6/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/18, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/22, 11am-4pm, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke
  • 6/25, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 6/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • ChristineR: Christine Reynolds Haverhill

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • hvxgr_
  • davidd
  • Mikaela_Suomalainen

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:02pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_29th,_2019_IRC_Meeting
[9:02pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:02pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:03pm] ChristineR: Christine Reynolds Haverhill
[9:03pm] ChristineR: (Christopher is my legal name)
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Not this week, work has been crushing 
[9:05pm] ChristineR: Looks good to me, nothing else comes to mind
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Leadership/activist/volunteer picnic - June 30th is open for us. Just trying to figure out the time.  Pirate_Joe, can you do the afternoon?
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: End of the month usually is difficult for me, but I'll try to make it work.
[9:07pm] ChristineR: Would another day be better, perhaps?
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: 30th I should be back in town though
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: Looking at my schedule.
[9:07pm] ChristineR: @Pirate_joe
[9:07pm] ChristineR: okay
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Also, it looks like the Pirate bbq may be a thing at the end of August
[9:08pm] jokeefe: ChristineR: The 30th is the best day
[9:09pm] ChristineR: Okay I was just double checking where he said end of the month is tough
[9:10pm] jokeefe: I messaged Malt. Once I hear back, I’ll announce it.
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Please make note of previously and poorly timed statement.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: oh, ok. Well get back to me soon, as I would like to lock this down so we can promote it among activists and volunteers
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, when I say may, it just means I need to book someone to cater it.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: ah, thanks.
[9:12pm] Pirate_Joe: Depending on how much, this may be my in-kind if that is ok.
[9:12pm] ChristineR: we're talking about the BBQ right? Picnic is definately going to be june 30th?
[9:12pm] ChristineR: definitely*
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, I'm making to more of a relaxed setting, for the late afternoon.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: BBQ is late August. Picnic is hopefully June 30th
[9:14pm] ChristineR: okay just making sure I'm on the same page
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings - Working on turnout for the Holyoke meetup on the 22nd.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Lowell late August, then Pirate_Joe?
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:16pm] ChristineR: Sorry, i've been off of facebook for a bit for personal reasons (messenger only), do we have a facebook event created for the Holyoke meetup
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: August 24th would work best for me.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: What time?
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: It's a Saturday.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: I created a facebook event for the Holyoke meeting, ChristineR
[9:17pm] ChristineR: okay cool
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: The time is not locked in 100% until we have a someone to cater.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: https://www.facebook.com/events/2297358417253248/
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: Looking to make the food part at least a 4 hour block
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Ok to announce the day?
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Sounds good
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Great. will do.  Thanks.
[9:19pm] ChristineR: I can go back on facebook in order to promote the holyoke meet up. Send out some invites and share it around
[9:19pm] jokeefe: thanks!
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - when to record the next one?
[9:20pm] ChristineR: I see theres only 6 people interested and 0 marked as going
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: We are recording a national news Sunday evening
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: So preference would be to mornings.
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: So my*
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Morning is fine for me.
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: Christine, would you care to join us?
[9:22pm] ChristineR: sunday mornings are no good for me tbh
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: No a problem, when would be better?
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: If you are interested of course.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: I am flexible
[9:24pm] ChristineR: afternoon would be fine
[9:24pm] ChristineR: like noon or later
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: 2 Pm sound good?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: fine by me
[9:26pm] ChristineR: sure!
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I am looking for more of a conversational one, and perhaps a bit off the cuff.
[9:27pm] ChristineR: okay
[9:27pm] jokeefe: ok. 2pm it is.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: I will schedule it.
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you jokeefe
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Thoughts on setting up Local Chapters?
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Town chapters?
[9:29pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:29pm] ChristineR: That's not a bad idea
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: I am not sure I can commit the time to it atm
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: Keeping my current duties in mind.
[9:31pm] ChristineR: I thnk its a good idea, but I fear I wouldn't have enough time to fully dedicate to make it work either, if I'm being completely honest
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Honesty is best.
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: I am happy to support any town in the commonwealth, including my own.
[9:32pm] ChristineR: I would definitely be interested in doing so down the line, IF things slow down for me
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: So my vote is Nay
[9:32pm] ChristineR: Same
[9:33pm] ChristineR: Not at this time
[9:33pm] jokeefe: I was thinking how do we encourage more people to setup local chapters?
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: hmmm
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: I would think sir that we would do so by doing it ourselves.
[9:35pm] ChristineR: That would be good @jokeefe if we can come up with a solution to encourage others to do so
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: If we start doing it, then others will as well, and I agree that it is a good idea, I am just not ready to implement it.
[9:36pm] ChristineR: local chapters will definitely make the party stronger
[9:36pm] ChristineR: However, I feel that Pirate_Joe is correct, that we will need to initiate it to get the ball rolling
[9:37pm] ChristineR: and with lack of time to really get it going, I feel its just not going to work
[9:37pm] jokeefe: We need local active chapters if we want to run in elections.
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: I know what I'm getting you for the holidays jokeefe!
[9:37pm] ChristineR: Of course if anyone has any other ideas for how to get local chapters going, I'm all ears
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Megaphone-Speaker-Bullhorn-Built/dp/B002PAZZIK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=25LMHSM5CDCGB&keywords=bullhorn+with+siren&qid=1559180277&s=gateway&sprefix=bull+horn%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-3-spell
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: We could just walk around and be loud, seems to work for the right.
[9:38pm] ChristineR: @jokeefe I agree with you on that
[9:39pm] jokeefe: We’ll lets talk about it at the activist/volunteers picnic.
[9:39pm] ChristineR: @Pirate_Joe haha
[9:39pm] jokeefe: and the party conference
[9:39pm] ChristineR: @jokeefe good idea!
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: that's all I have
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Mesh Net - any update igel[m]?
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparties - Have one scheduled in Somerville for June 26th hopefully
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Tech/Outreach - Seeing if 6/15 works for a meeting
[9:46pm] ChristineR: I could do that
[9:46pm] ChristineR: Like that works for me*
[9:46pm] ChristineR: Sorry tired
[9:47pm] jokeefe: No worries. That is all I have updates for.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn early?
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: 2nd
[9:47pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:47pm] ChristineR: Sounds good to md
[9:47pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:47pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:47pm] ChristineR: Have a goodnight all
[9:47pm] jokeefe: good night
[9:47pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the notes
[9:48pm] ChristineR: Thanks!