May 8th, 2012 IRC Meeting
1. May 12th Film Fest Schedule
3. Boston Pride
4. National Party stuff
5. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?
6. Humble bundle?
7. Anything else others want to bring up.
Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:
1. May 12th Film Fest
Cannot use Steamboat Willie due to copyright issues. What other kids cartoons can we use?
3. Boston Pride
4. National Party stuff
5. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?
Jamie didn't post a request for public policy questions, but he damn well will this week!
- jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
- erixoltan - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
- SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
- passstab -
- multiple observers including passstab & illunati1
1. Film Fest
Possible kids films:
http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/blender-open-projects/ http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/movies/ http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/ http://blog.archive.org/2010/03/05/alice-in-wonderland-a-look-back/
Erik needs a copy of Steal this Film 2, which Jamie will provide.
Will distribute list to do calls.
Schedule by Hour
- 3pm Sneeze Me Away (14) / ... / Copying is not Theft & All Creative Work Is Derivative (3)
- 4pm - The $8 billion iPod (5) / Steal This Film 2 (44) / Drew Curtis; How I beat a patent troll /
- 5pm - Open Source Cancer Research TED Talks (13) / Patent Absurdity (30) / Innovation in Fashion Industry TED talk (15)
- 6pm - 6:30pm - Rick Falkvinge I am a Pirate TED Talk (15) / Government Crowdsourcing TED Talk (12)
- 6:30pm - 7:00pm - break time
- 7:00pm - 7:30pm - Pioneer One Eps 1
- 7:30pm - 8:00pm - Otherworlds shorts? (Kitty Kitty, The Third Letter, ITD, Candy)
- 8pm - 9:30pm - Night of the Living Dead
JP waiting for confirmation he made it on the ballot. He is talking with the press.
3. Boston Pride
Need to call folks to see who will march with us and get the word out. Jamie will get insurance for table.
4. National Party stuff
The Tuesday #uspp meetings are now social, with no agendas, and an opportunity for new states to show up. Last Tuesday California showed up. On Wednesday at the PNC meeting (#pnc), we voted not to interfere with the IT committee and force them to use WordPress instead of Drupal which they are now using. We also adopted purple instead of orange as a suggested color (although it's not binding on states).
We passed a resolution that in order to participate in USPP committees, a person has to be a member of their state party or has to leave contact info for when one is organized in their state.
The IT committee will unveil their new site tomorrow and ask for PNC approval.
5. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?
Erik will write up a post asking for questions. Jamie will post them.
Details of the 2010 dates at http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepubpol/pubpol.htm
6. Humble bundle fundraising
passstab suggested using Humble bundle for fundraising. There are a number of open questions. He will draft a set of questions for us to send to the Humble Bundle folks and Jamie will draft something to send to OCPF.
[11:51] <jokeefe> so how was ROFLCon? [11:51] <SplendidSpoon> Awesome :D [11:51] <SplendidSpoon> Put out some flyers on a few tables, put up some posters around MIT for the Film Fest [11:52] <SplendidSpoon> Also met Vermin Supreme! [11:53] <erixoltan> My wife is putting up posters today at Brandeis; sadly we've scheduled this thing just after finals end there. [11:56] <SplendidSpoon> i see.. [11:57] <jokeefe> Thanks to you both. i put some up in Cambridge and Somerville in places the rains won't get to them. [12:02] <jokeefe> Agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=May_8th,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:06] <jokeefe> does it look ok? [12:06] <SplendidSpoon> Looks good to me [12:06] <erixoltan> yes [12:06] <passstab> can we put something about working with the humble bundle? [12:07] <jokeefe> sure [12:07] <SplendidSpoon> What's going on with the Humble Bundle? [12:07] <passstab> i know you said that was unlikely but if there is any way it could work it would be worth it [12:07] <jokeefe> we'll get to that [12:08] <jokeefe> Item 1. May 12th Film Fest Schedule [12:08] <jokeefe> Cannot use Steamboat Willie due to copyright issues. What other kids cartoons can we use? [12:09] <passstab> ok [12:09] <passstab> blender stuff? [12:09] <passstab> http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/movies/ [12:09] <erixoltan> I don't have another kids' cartoon but think we need them, and am certainly open to ideas. [12:10] <jokeefe> those look cool. are the free to use? [12:10] <SplendidSpoon> Those blender movies look cool [12:10] <passstab> some are [12:10] <passstab> look at there sites [12:10] <passstab> these are http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/blender-open-projects/ [12:11] <erixoltan> that's a great idea! [12:12] <jokeefe> ok, looks like we have some reviewing to do. erixoltan, you can get them, yes? [12:12] <erixoltan> I will download all the free ones. [12:12] <erixoltan> How do we make this decision - we won't meet again before the film fest. [12:13] <erixoltan> I can show them to a group of kids and let them vote. [12:14] <passstab> it looks to me like the blender open projects are the only ones that are "Free" [12:15] <passstab> and of those big buck bunny is the only one for kids (imho) [12:15] <passstab> depending on the age range [12:15] <erixoltan> That's 10 minutes anyway, probably longer than the video it would replace. [12:16] <jokeefe> yes [12:16] <jokeefe> could use some more [12:16] <passstab> oh [12:16] <jokeefe> guess we can just dig and see what we get. [12:16] <passstab> hit the suzane feastival links [12:17] <passstab> at the top of the page [12:17] <jokeefe> Sintel too maybe. [12:18] <erixoltan> There's a lot of material here to review. but it does look worth it. [12:18] <jokeefe> they are short [12:18] <jokeefe> or unavailable ;-( [12:19] <jokeefe> Next 2. Campaigns [12:19] <passstab> ok [12:19] <jokeefe> JP is waiting to hear back from Chelmsford [12:19] <jokeefe> on the signatures [12:19] <erixoltan> Wait I'm sorry, I have more on #1. [12:19] <jokeefe> sure [12:19] <erixoltan> Sorry. [12:19] <jokeefe> no problem :-) [12:19] <erixoltan> I can't seem to download Steal this Film 2. The torrent doesn't work for me. [12:19] <erixoltan> Steal this Film 1 downloads fine. [12:20] <jokeefe> I was able to download it. Should I put it one a memory card for you? [12:20] <erixoltan> That's great, is it 720p or better? [12:20] <jokeefe> i think so. [12:21] <jokeefe> or put it on drop box for you to get? [12:21] <erixoltan> Lovely. Any way you can get it to me. [12:21] <passstab> one more thing on the kids films [12:21] <passstab> http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/movies/submit-a-movie/ [12:22] <passstab> sais the film submissions include a permission to use this elseware checkbox [12:22] <passstab> someone should ask which those are [12:22] <passstab> thatsall [12:23] <jokeefe> thanks [12:24] <jokeefe> erixoltan, let me see how big it is and if I can put it someplace for you to get i will. otherwise I will put it on a memory stick and get it to you or SplendidSpoon [12:24] <jokeefe> ok? [12:25] <erixoltan> Sounds good. [12:26] <jokeefe> So besides JP waiting for the sigs, he has gotten some press. [12:28] <jokeefe> Next Item 3. Boston Pride [12:28] <erixoltan> That's great news all around. Hope the signatures are all valid. [12:28] <jokeefe> yes, crossing fingers [12:29] <jokeefe> a. need to turn people out for it. b. need to get insurance for the table. [12:30] <jokeefe> I think calls would help with a. [12:30] <jokeefe> can distribute list to folks to make calls. [12:30] <erixoltan> Is this a list of MassPirates supporters? [12:31] <jokeefe> yup [12:32] <erixoltan> Have we ever done a phone calling effort before? [12:33] <jokeefe> we no, but I have. I can write a simple script. we can also setup an event on Facebook and contact folks on twitter [12:33] <jokeefe> put things up on the blog, etc. [12:33] <erixoltan> How about the film fest? [12:33] <jokeefe> sure [12:33] <jokeefe> if we can do it this week [12:33] <jokeefe> I can get contact info out tonight. [12:34] <erixoltan> If multiple people work together, how do we know who has already been called? [12:35] <jokeefe> we divide up the list. I get A-G, etc. [12:35] <erixoltan> That works. [12:35] <erixoltan> If someone doesn't call, they have to at least admit to it in time for someone else to try. [12:35] <erixoltan> lol [12:35] <jokeefe> yes [12:36] <jokeefe> sounds like a plan [12:36] <jokeefe> Next item? 4. National Party stuff [12:37] <erixoltan> The new officers ran their first PNC meeting on Wed nite. it was very well organized and we actually voted on stuff. Only state reps voted. [12:37] <jokeefe> cool [12:37] <erixoltan> The Tuesday #uspp meetings are now social, with no agendas, and an opportunity for new states to show up. Last Tuesday California showed up. [12:38] <erixoltan> On Wednesday at the PNC meeting (#pnc), we voted not to interfere with the IT committee and force them to use WordPress instead of Drupal which they are now using. [12:38] <erixoltan> we also adopted purple instead of orange as a suggested color (although it's not binding on states). [12:39] <erixoltan> We passed a resolution that in order to participate in USPP committees, a person has to be a member of their state party or has to leave contact info for when one is organized in their state. [12:39] <jokeefe> I wish the IT committee would just use a wiki, but so be it. [12:39] <erixoltan> And some other minor things too - details escape me. [12:39] <jokeefe> ok, thanks [12:39] <erixoltan> they do plan to have a wiki. [12:40] <erixoltan> The IT committee will unveil their new site tomorrow and ask for PNC approval. [12:40] <jokeefe> i would hope so, but it strikes me that a wiki is perhaps the best tool for a loose coordination point for state parties. Drupal has more overhead than wordpress. [12:41] <jokeefe> are the notes posted anywhere? [12:41] <erixoltan> I don't know, but they were emailed to the SAB list and I emailed the full transcript. [12:42] <jokeefe> Next? 5. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot [12:42] <jokeefe> sorry trying to get the meeting done in an hour [12:42] <erixoltan> great me too. [12:43] <erixoltan> I think we should make an effort to get a public policy initiative out there. It's a great opportunity and will probably result in new members. [12:43] <erixoltan> Maybe something related to personal privacy on the Internet? [12:43] <jokeefe> sounds like the best one to me. I didn't post a request for public policy questions, but will do it this week! [12:43] <jokeefe> unless someone else wants to? [12:44] <erixoltan> Sorry, I would volunteer if I had a better idea what's involved? [12:44] <erixoltan> can you explain what you mean? [12:44] <jokeefe> see http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/elepubpol/pubpol.htm [12:45] <jokeefe> Generally, public policy questions involve a determination of what governmental action is desirable or necessary for the public interest. The question must be fit for legislative action. It must provide a legislator with an instruction or direction regarding governmental action. [12:45] <passstab> what is the proposal? [12:45] <erixoltan> OK but are you asking for someone to email our activists list about it, or are you asking for something else? [12:45] <jokeefe> what public policy questions we should try to get on the ballot [12:46] <erixoltan> So I will email the activists list to ask them what public policy questions we should try to get on the ballot. [12:46] <jokeefe> write the text of what we are asking, then post to blog/fb. i can cut/paste into email announcement. [12:46] <erixoltan> Ah, OK. I will write up a suggested wording and send it to you. [12:46] <jokeefe> was thinking it would be wider audience than activist list [12:46] <jokeefe> thanks [12:46] <erixoltan> awesome [12:47] <jokeefe> post it to the activists list for other eyeballs to review [12:47] <jokeefe> thanks! [12:47] <erixoltan> brb ...must....have....espresso..... [12:47] <jokeefe> lol [12:48] <jokeefe> ok, passstab, what is your 6. Humble bundle? proposal? [12:48] <erixoltan> back [12:48] <jokeefe> and wired? [12:48] <jokeefe> on two levels [12:49] <passstab> ok i was just wondering if there was a way we could get funded through a humble bundle [12:50] <jokeefe> Is the software free to download by anyone at anytime? [12:50] <passstab> as i'm sure most of you know the HIB releaces DRM free games at pay what you want for a couple of weeks [12:50] <passstab> not legally [12:50] <jokeefe> sorry to preempt you, passstab. ignore my last statement [12:50] <erixoltan> I think you pay a certain amount and you can apportion the proceeds as you like, right? [12:50] <passstab> but these are devs who won't pursue charges [12:51] <passstab> you pay any amount and apportion the proceeds as you like [12:51] <passstab> apportion the proceeds as you like [12:52] <passstab> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humble_Indie_Bundle [12:53] <passstab> i beleave jokeefe was saying there would be campain finance problems [12:54] <passstab> anyone have any thoughts? [12:54] <erixoltan> How about if we started a charitable fund and got that funded? Or some initiative that wouldn't come under the heading of campaign finance laws. [12:54] <erixoltan> Such as a pirate legal defense fund or supporting the Tor network or something. [12:55] <passstab> or we could star a PAC [12:55] <passstab> start [12:55] <erixoltan> I think that comes under the FEC too right? [12:55] <jokeefe> we are already a PAC under Mass. campaign finance law [12:55] <jokeefe> well if the EFF did it then charities are ok. They are probably a 501c4 or 501c3. We are a PAC, so are more limited. [12:56] <jokeefe> We can only take $500 per person (US citizen or permanent resident) per year. [12:56] <passstab> or you could get each donors info [12:56] <jokeefe> we would have to [12:56] <jokeefe> yes [12:57] <passstab> i doubt that would be a big problem [12:57] <jokeefe> so since there would be international donors, we would need to accept a portion of the money or set it up so that only money from US citizens went to us. [12:57] <erixoltan> passstab, do you want to take the lead on finding out what are the requirements for registering with Humble Bundle and whether you can get info on individual contributors or not? And whether you can exclude international donors? [12:58] <jokeefe> research would be good [12:58] <jokeefe> perhaps we could do it as a way to fundraise for all pirate parties [12:58] <jokeefe> that can take $ [12:58] <passstab> legal research? [12:59] <erixoltan> Just contacting humble bundle to ask about it. [12:59] <passstab> then maybe this should be brought up in the other channel? [12:59] <jokeefe> requirements, do we get individual donor info, exclude donors or divide up by residence, etc. [13:00] <erixoltan> Jamie are you suggesting an umbrella organization that would funnel donations to individual pirate parties, respecting their local laws? [13:00] <jokeefe> no was thinking humble bundle would do that. [13:00] <erixoltan> aah. [13:00] <jokeefe> figure out what % of donation goes to pirate parties and then divide up donations by mailing address. [13:02] <jokeefe> also, think about this as an auction. [13:03] <passstab> or you could give the donors sliders to put the money where they want [13:03] <jokeefe> right the person chooses who gets what [13:03] <erixoltan> I know Humble Bundle already does something along those lines. My kids have bought bundles. [13:04] <passstab> then you could bypass the 500 dollar limit [13:04] <erixoltan> I always give them extra $ over and above their allowance money to donate to the developers. [13:04] <jokeefe> well no we cannot [13:04] <jokeefe> but we could cap it [13:04] <passstab> why not max 500 for each party? [13:05] <erixoltan> I am pretty sure the problem of taking more than $500 from an individual contributor will not come up during the next year or two if we get involved with humble bundles. [13:05] <jokeefe> true. [13:06] <erixoltan> If it did, we could hire an expert to help us navigate it, because we'd have the money. [13:06] <passstab> then you haven't seen the hib top donor list [13:06] <passstab> http://www.humblebundle.com/ [13:06] <passstab> 1. [13:06] <passstab> @HumbleBrony Bundle [13:06] <passstab> $1,000.00 [13:06] <passstab> 2. [13:06] <passstab> lorauwar.com [13:06] <passstab> $904.75 [13:06] <jokeefe> we could accept up to $500, and then anything over that goes elsewhere [13:07] <jokeefe> right, but not all went to the charity, likely [13:07] <erixoltan> Being gifted money from overseas is probably a bigger concern. [13:07] <passstab> then it could be u.s only [13:08] <erixoltan> Anyway, we'd need to find out what services Humble Bundle provides to organizations that have limits on what they can accept. [13:08] <jokeefe> i think we need to think about it and run it pass the mass. campaign finance folks to see if they approve it. [13:08] <passstab> i'm sure they'r flexible [13:09] <erixoltan> Anyway, it's an interesting idea and we should come back to it once we get answers from HIB. [13:09] <passstab> why not make it for all u.s pirate partys? [13:09] <jokeefe> my concern is that this is coming from a corp and there are rules about taking donations from corps and the software could be considered an in-kind contribution. [13:09] <jokeefe> no bank account for USPP [13:09] <passstab> somebody else should send the email [13:10] * passstab is bad at those :P [13:10] <passstab> http://www.humblebundle.com/contact [13:10] <jokeefe> how about you write the draft and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will review [13:10] <jokeefe> ? [13:10] <passstab> ahh ok [13:11] <erixoltan> Are we almost done then? [13:12] <jokeefe> now if we created a 501c3 educational non-profit we could take money from anyone. [13:13] <erixoltan> Do you have any idea if that's hard to do? [13:13] <passstab> but isn't your goal to elect people? [13:13] <jokeefe> would need to look into it. I can ask some folks. probably would be a good idea. [13:13] <jokeefe> well, there are many avenues to spreading our message [13:13] <erixoltan> Educating people about our issues is an important step in getting our candidates elected. [13:14] <jokeefe> aye [13:14] <erixoltan> having an over-narrow focus is short-sighted. [13:14] <passstab> aye [13:14] <jokeefe> thanks for suggesting it passstab. I'll look at the campaign finance question. [13:14] <jokeefe> anything else? [13:14] <erixoltan> not here [13:14] <passstab> i found another good kids film [13:15] <passstab> http://blog.archive.org/2010/03/05/alice-in-wonderland-a-look-back/ [13:15] <passstab> good for kids and others [13:15] <erixoltan> 1903 [13:16] <jokeefe> wow [13:16] <jokeefe> thanks [13:16] <passstab> also i want to clarify we wont be doing the HIB with other pirate partys? [13:16] <erixoltan> will take a look. Thanks for the tip. [13:17] <jokeefe> we should mention it. I am sure other Pirate Parties would like a piece of it if they can. [13:17] <erixoltan> If other pirate parties want to be involved, they'd have to conform to their local laws which will be different from ours in Mass. [13:17] <jokeefe> true [13:17] <jokeefe> but I am sure germany and sweden, et. al. could do it. [13:18] <jokeefe> we can do the research and see what is involved. [13:18] <jokeefe> have a good day folks. Thanks! [13:18] <erixoltan> This will come up again because there are a lot of things out there. [13:18] <erixoltan> adios [13:18] <passstab> b