May 8th, 2019 IRC Meeting
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Tabled Projects
- 5 Upcoming Events
- 6 Participants
- 7 Summary
- 8 Minutes
Organizing Neighbors to End Exploitation Statement
Goals for Q2:
- Organize meetups
- Organize election
- Organize Fundraiser(s)
- Organize candidate trainings
- Revise platform
- Next pirate news recording?
- Make a video supporting the European Pirates in the upcoming EU election?
- need to schedule a May meeting
- find discussion/voting system
- update blog theme
- update civicrm software
- set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
- post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
Bills to make the Film Credit Permanent
HD388 would make the film tax credit permanent. It is supposed to expire in 2023. The bill has 100+ signatures this time around. There isn't a hearing date for it yet.
- Tell our supporters how to oppose it
- Look out for a hearing date
- If possible, reach out to other groups to organize a lobby day
These have been on our agenda for a long time. How do we make them a reality?
Boston Sex Worker Petition
Non-pirate guest speakers
Sargon of Akkad
CCTV camera map
Video Newsletter guest speakers
Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:
- how to do basic labels in GIMP,
- work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
- similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.
- 5/14, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- 5/18, 10:30am-1:45pm, Somerville-area Pirate Meetup, Somerville Public Library, 79 Highland Ave., Somerville
- 5/21, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- 5/23-26, European Parliamentary Elections, #VotePirate
- 5/28, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- 6/4, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
- 6/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
- 6/22, 11am-4pm, Holyoke Pirate Meetup, Board Room, Holyoke Public Library, Holyoke
- DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
- igel[m]: william fleurant, arlington
- jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
- Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
- Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
- Agreed to support the Stop & Shop Strikers. jokeefe will ask Moses to write a statement
- Will record the next pirate news show on Sunday, 8pm.
- Agreed to push the date that ballot are due back two days to 4/27.
[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/May_8th,_2019_IRC_Meeting [9:01pm] jokeefe: ids [9:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale) [9:01pm] igel[m]: mesh meeting went well, it was mostly divided into 3 parts [9:01pm] igel[m]: william fleurant, arlington [9:01pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville [9:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: Divided into 3 parts … so much gall/gaul ? [9:01pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell [9:02pm] jokeefe: Anything to add? [9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Only privately [9:03pm] igel[m]: dunno, it was part somerville task force q/a, next part was prototype hardwares, and last was potential pilot [9:04pm] jokeefe: thanks igel[m] [9:04pm] igel[m]: task force somerville honestly have grave some concerns and discussions fell apart [9:04pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements [9:04pm] jokeefe: Organizing Neighbors to End Exploitation Statement [9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: Has anyone not read that draft statement? [9:05pm] jokeefe: The Massachusetts Pirate Party (MAPP) is highly critical of recent efforts launched against massage parlors and spas by a group calling itself Organizing Neighbors to End Exploitation, done in the name of “fighting human trafficking”. As well-intentioned as these efforts may be, they are clearly ill-informed and only serve to perpetuate marginalization based on race and immigration status. [9:05pm] jokeefe: These efforts are further complicated by their reliance on questionable information provided by the Polaris Project, an organization which claims to educate and mobilize citizens against sex trafficking, but in actuality conflates trafficking with consensual sex work, proposing measures which jeopardizes the safety and well-being of sex workers based on flawed data and vague presumptions. [9:05pm] jokeefe: While MAPP condemns human trafficking, we oppose misinformed vigilantism and excessive use of carceral methods to address this problem, especially when they undermine human rights and jeopardize the safety and well-being of sex workers. We propose that law enforcement consult with sex worker organizations such as SWOP-USA and Desiree Alliance, and responsible anti-trafficking organizations such as Freedom Network USA. Additionally, we call for a moratorium on arrests involving consensual sex work, as a step towards the long-term goal of full decriminalization. [9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: morator = moratorium [9:05pm] jokeefe: will correct [9:07pm] jokeefe: any suggestions for improvements? [9:08pm] DesmondRavenstone: If no questions or motion to amend, willing to move for final approval [9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: 2nd [9:09pm] jokeefe: all in favor? [9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: aye [9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye [9:09pm] jokeefe: aye [9:09pm] igel[m]: add sources with the quotes, and any other sources, eh? [9:09pm] jokeefe: will do [9:10pm] DesmondRavenstone: I've provided links for the orgs mentioned [9:10pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:10pm] jokeefe: motion passes. I will put it up tomorrow morning. [9:10pm] DesmondRavenstone: [9:11pm] igel[m]: aye [9:11pm] igel[m]: [9:11pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:11pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings [9:12pm] jokeefe: Advertising the Somerville meetup. FB event up and for Holyoke meetup too [9:13pm] jokeefe: will be inviting voters [9:14pm] jokeefe: Suggestions for the location of the July meeting? [9:14pm] Malt joined the chat room. [9:14pm] jokeefe: ahoy Malt [9:15pm] Malt: Whoops [9:15pm] Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester [9:15pm] igel[m]: t-accessible, as per my usual vote [9:15pm] Malt: Apologies for the delay [9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: How about we push for southern place, so we can invite our RI pirates to join us [9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: Like somewhere in Attleboro [9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: Or Taunton [9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: no worries Malt [9:17pm] jokeefe: Or near CT [9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: I meant CT, lol [9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, RI too [9:18pm] jokeefe: Will email members in those areas then [9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: We could do a Springfield meetup [9:19pm] Malt: There's a neat russian tea joint nearby [9:19pm] Malt: Good crepes [9:19pm] jokeefe: in Springfield or Worcester? [9:19pm] Malt: Springfield [9:20pm] jokeefe: Perhaps in September since Holyoke is in June and that is close to Springfield [9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: Attleboro is straight down 95 and would be easier for people from RI to attend [9:21pm] jokeefe: both is good [9:22pm] DesmondRavenstone left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/) [9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone joined the chat room. [9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: Oops, having connection problems [9:23pm] jokeefe: ahoy^2 [9:23pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter [9:23pm] jokeefe: Latest is up [9:24pm] Malt: Wb [9:24pm] jokeefe: When to record the next one? [9:24pm] DesmondRavenstone left the chat room. (Client Quit) [9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Sunday is Mother's day [9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Can we record another on two weeks from now? [9:26pm] jokeefe: Sure [9:26pm] jokeefe: Fine with me [9:26pm] jokeefe: Work for others? [9:26pm] Malt: Should be ok [9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: When we do record, DesmondRavenstone, would you mind attending? [9:27pm] jokeefe: Morning, afternoon, evening? [9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: I will email him [9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Depends on him [9:28pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone, you could come by here and record [9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: He lost connection [9:28pm] jokeefe: ah yes [9:28pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:29pm] jokeefe: Mesh Net - igel[m] gave an update above [9:30pm] Malt: Saw that article go by, seems like exciting progress [9:30pm] igel[m]: yop, more news after things pan out next week, or earlier [9:30pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:31pm] jokeefe: Cryptoparties [9:31pm] jokeefe: the one at the Boston Public Library went well. a bunch of trainers and good discussion [9:31pm] Malt: Niiiice [9:34pm] jokeefe: There is a youtube video of my talk at Code for Boston - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4KLQTZBljw [9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: <3 [9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: This Youtube thing is getting easier, no? [9:36pm] jokeefe: When you have a decent microphone [9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: True [9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: I'm about to break down and buy a new one [9:37pm] jokeefe: I really need one [9:37pm] jokeefe: So … when should we get the leadership/volunteers together? [9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Did we get the GoPro working? [9:38pm] jokeefe: yes [9:38pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/) [9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: Want to do a live meeting at your place in two weeks? [9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: Pot Luck style? [9:39pm] jokeefe: will need to check with the family [9:39pm] Malt joined the chat room. [9:39pm] jokeefe: ahoy^3 [9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: Pirate_Joe [9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: Want to do a live meeting at your place in two weeks? [9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: Pot Luck style? [9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: @jokeefe [9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: will need to check with the family [9:39pm] Malt: Whoops