Difference between revisions of "November 7th, 2018 IRC Meeting"

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search
Line 264: Line 264:
 
[9:56pm] DesmondRavenstone: Vigil, local/regional meetups
 
[9:56pm] DesmondRavenstone: Vigil, local/regional meetups
 
[9:56pm] jokeefe: I can ask Pirate_Joe
 
[9:56pm] jokeefe: I can ask Pirate_Joe
 +
 +
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: Would save money, a cafe would probably like use to order food
 +
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: Not that I am opposed to food...
 +
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty Capt
 +
[9:58pm] DesmondRavenstone: We like food
 +
[9:58pm] DesmondRavenstone: and humans
 +
[9:58pm] jokeefe: too much sometimes. food that is.
 +
[9:58pm] DesmondRavenstone: not necessarily humans AS food … "To Serve Man"
 +
[9:58pm] jokeefe: lol. gotta go rewatch that one
 +
[9:59pm] Malt: klaatu etc etc
 +
[9:59pm] jokeefe: they wanted us to play nice, IIRC.
 +
[9:59pm] DesmondRavenstone: You're mixing stories, Klaatu's "Day the Earth Stood Still"
 +
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: We are at time, any further topics?
 +
[9:59pm] jokeefe: agreed.
 +
[10:00pm] jokeefe: All in favor of adjourning?
 +
[10:00pm] DesmondRavenstone: aye
 +
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
 +
[10:00pm] jokeefe: aye. I’ll post the notes
 +
[10:00pm] Malt: aye
 +
[10:00pm] srevilak: aye
 +
[10:01pm] jokeefe: thanks for everyone’s help
 +
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty sir and good night everyone!
 +
[10:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: g'night mateys!
 +
[10:01pm] Malt: night!
 +
[10:01pm] jokeefe: ++good
  
 
   </nowiki>
 
   </nowiki>

Revision as of 23:01, 7 November 2018

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

12/16 Vigil to End Violence Against Sex Workers Protest

H.R.6729 - Empowering Financial Institutions to Fight Human Trafficking Act of 2018

Tech Meeting

Video Newsletter

Regional Meetings

Newsletter

Topics for next one:

Statements

  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Computer Donations

On hold until next week - https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • install a Matrix server (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events

  • 11/11, 1-3pm, Tech Meeting, Somerville
  • 11/13, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 11/17-18, Boston Anarchist Bookfair, Boston University, Boston* 10/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 11/20, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 11/27, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 11/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Nov, Boston-area Chapter Meeting
  • 12/4, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 12/11, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 12/16, Vigil to End Violence Against Sex Workers, Boston Police Headquarters, Boston
  • 12/17, Intl Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers, Boston
  • 12/18, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 12/25, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 12/26?, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville

Participants

Observers

  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:03pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/November_7th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahoy
[9:03pm] Malt: Sam Capradae, Worcester
[9:03pm] Malt: Hi friends!
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:03pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Nay
[9:04pm] Malt: neigh
[9:04pm] srevilak: nothing to add
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Skipping to Projects then
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Good to see you again Steve and Malt!
[9:05pm] jokeefe: 12/16 Vigil to End Violence Against Sex Workers Protest
[9:05pm] Malt: hi buddy!
[9:05pm] jokeefe: I reached out to a graphic designer, but haven’t heard back
[9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: It looks like we could have another co-sponsor. A group of students from Northeastern U School of Law
[9:05pm] Malt: i agreed to take care of something related to that, right? i've forgotten which
[9:05pm] Malt: that's rad!
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: We could always Staples/officemax it.
[9:05pm] Malt: should we circulate a petition between other law schools in the area?
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Malt, help organize the event
[9:06pm] jokeefe: please
[9:06pm] Malt: of course
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Not sure what the schedule is for Boston Anarchist Bookfair yet. Haven’t heard from them yet
[9:06pm] jokeefe: thanks Malt.
[9:06pm] DesmondRavenstone: Malt: email me desmondravenstone@yahoo.com on the vigil
[9:06pm] Malt: will do
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: I have a big job on the vigil, I am sorry I can not attend.
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe: thinking about layout. Will get prices for printing tomorrow
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you.
[9:08pm] DesmondRavenstone: Pirate_Joe: email me as well
[9:08pm] jokeefe: DesmondRavenstone: what time were you thinking we would hold the vigil?
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Good to hear about the new co-sponsor
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: Done
[9:09pm] jokeefe: The plan for BAN is to flyer the event and outside.
[9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone: 7pm to 8pm. Also, I'll look into getting raw materials for the vigil -- poster board, markers, candles, perhaps something for writing names of deceased sex workers and putting them somewhere
[9:10pm] jokeefe: What do you think of a having a sign making party a week before?
[9:10pm] Malt: a good call
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Can we add teacup candles to it?
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: Sounds good. I can reach out to these student groups about getting space somewhere.
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: Seems classy
[9:11pm] jokeefe: I have a whole bunch of electric candles we can use as well
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: Electric! How many?
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: That may be better
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: No chance to be busted up for fire etc.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: 10+
[9:12pm] DesmondRavenstone: If we can round up 20, that would be good. Aim high in terms of participation, right?
[9:13pm] jokeefe: It would be wonderful if one of them were willing to sponsor the sign making event.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: I can poster MIT
[9:13pm] jokeefe: And we have BU next weekend. Where else should we poster?
[9:13pm] DesmondRavenstone: Yes, Harvard and NEU both have good meeting spaces for sign-making.
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Humans Boston
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Umass
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: Lol
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: Autocorrect
[9:16pm] DesmondRavenstone: Yes, we like humans 
[9:16pm] jokeefe:
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe:
[9:16pm] Malt: BU?
[9:16pm] Malt: nvm
[9:16pm] Malt: already accounted for
[9:17pm] jokeefe: I was wondering if we should encourage people to bring masks or provide surveillance camera maps that show routes with few cameras. If we are concerned about not outing any sex workers.
[9:17pm] Malt: the city poetry slams would be good places, cantab on wednesday, lizard lounge, house slam
[9:17pm] Malt: that's clever
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Would you make a list of places and dates?
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: Maybe we can hit up a recording studio to get this on TV
[9:17pm] Malt: sure
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: Or let the local new station get in on it
[9:18pm] jokeefe: We will need a PR a week before and Friday/Sunday for reminders.
[9:18pm] DesmondRavenstone: Re not outing sex workers: I think having a large "mixed" group is the best deterrent. How will they tell who is/isn't a sex worker?
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Agreed
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Though having masks of the faces of people who have been killed would be an effective image.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: But signs with people’s pictures are all effective.
[9:20pm] DesmondRavenstone: If that's feasible. Also, I'm wondering about how sex workers might feel having those images appropriated, even for an event like this.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: I created a pirate pad we can use to share tasks and progress: https://piratenpad.de/p/20181216_Vigil
[9:20pm] Pirate_Joe: Worse case we could get red umbrellas to leave there.
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'll inquire. Probably good to bring photos to sign-making party, along with scissors and glue sticks
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: Thanks for setting up the pad!
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Whatever people are comfortable with. 
[9:23pm] Malt: a cardboard "jane doe" mask might work
[9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: So friend of mine just texted me … She's been tagging some Boston escorts on Twitter about the vigil. No responses, but at least reaching out to them.
[9:24pm] DesmondRavenstone: "Jane Doe" mask … Some European sex workers have used that at protests, white plastic masks.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Other ideas/tasks?
[9:25pm] DesmondRavenstone: Well, I'll send the pad link to the Harvard and Northeastern contacts, see if they can contribute on some level.
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Thanks
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Sorry, I have nothing
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Moving on to H.R.6729 - Empowering Financial Institutions to Fight Human Trafficking Act of 2018
[9:28pm] jokeefe: petition is up and announced.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Will continue to promote it. Please sign and spread word for it.
[9:28pm] DesmondRavenstone: And I've gotten pings from Change.org about signatures
[9:28pm] Malt: nice
[9:28pm] jokeefe: great
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: I signed!
[9:28pm] Malt: i missed the link
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: I think
[9:28pm] DesmondRavenstone: I did and promoted on Facebook among sex worker rights groups
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Desmond, please link
[9:29pm] jokeefe: When should we aim to bring it to our Senators? Set a date or # of signatures?
[9:29pm] jokeefe: https://www.change.org/p/elizabeth-warren-prevent-warrantless-searches-of-our-bank-accounts
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: So it goes on record
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: Change.org should be alerting their offices by email … every time there's a sig!
[9:30pm] Malt: ty
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: And when the deadline hits, then they'll get the full monty.
[9:30pm] jokeefe: ok. what should we set as the deadline?
[9:31pm] DesmondRavenstone: Didn't Change.org ask you for one when you set it up?
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Didn’t need to set it
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: Desomdravensto please link your change.org
[9:32pm] DesmondRavenstone: See Jamie's link above
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Deeper ur name
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Derpy
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok,ty
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Just making sure that I had the correct information
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Jamie is too pro
[9:34pm] Malt: bamf done
[9:34pm] jokeefe: thanks Malt
[9:34pm] DesmondRavenstone: Showing 33 people signed. So we should keep posting links and encouraging folks to sign.
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Agreed
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: Please
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Sounds like it is too soon to pick a date.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Moving on …
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Tech Meeting - Set for Sunday. Aiming to get chat groups up finally and make more progress on voting system.
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Your house, correct?
[9:37pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: What time were you planning?
[9:37pm] jokeefe: 1pm. Will make sure to send it to the lists.
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: And may food be brought?
[9:38pm] jokeefe: of course
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: Pirate potluck?
[9:38pm] jokeefe:  Another day. My house isn’t that clean.
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: We could rent a small area if you like
[9:39pm] DesmondRavenstone: Capital Café? Their large rooms are available free to NGOs
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Need more planning for that.  Perhaps early Dec. as a way to get Boston Pirates together?
[9:40pm] DesmondRavenstone: Ooops, meant non-profits
[9:40pm] jokeefe: we certainly qualify as that.
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: Y
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: Si
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - Malt and I recorded on last Sunday. It is live. Talked about the election and everything else that is upcoming. Need more cleanup of the conference videos.  Should we record a live one next weekend when we are handing out flyers?
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Can be done easy enough. I will look for the cord to my gopro too
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Malt and I needed you to keep us to 15 minutes, Pirate_Joe
[9:42pm] Malt: haahahahaha true
[9:43pm] Malt: we got fired up
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: If we get a chance to answer people's questions, that would be good
[9:43pm] Malt: we brought the house down
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: I am a gabber
[9:43pm] Malt: i've got family coming in this weekend 
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: gabgabgabgab'
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: Roo though...
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, I am on point with it but the occasional long video is nice too
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Don’t know if we want one about the election results before then. or just what is going on with us?
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, discuss the results and there impacts are important to do
[9:45pm] Malt: i think the results will be covered
[9:45pm] Malt: but a path forward might be nice
[9:45pm] Malt: we could talk about what kind of candidates we want to endorse
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, what's next should be in most videos
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Pirates, of course
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: ^
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: Jamie 4 president
[9:46pm] jokeefe: Amazon HQ2 news?
[9:46pm] jokeefe: that would take 2 whole years of my life. not sure my family would like that.
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: Yeah, Boston was not as sweet of a deal it turns out....
[9:46pm] srevilak: tangental note on videos: wiki mentions setting up torrents for piratecon videos.  FYI - putting them on archive.org would give you a torrent
[9:46pm] jokeefe: lucky us
[9:47pm] jokeefe: thanks, srevilak. how do we upload them there? is there a size limit?
[9:47pm] Malt: archive.org rocks
[9:48pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I'll send you our archive.org credentials.  No size limit that I know of
[9:48pm] jokeefe: thanks. can we add admins to it?
[9:48pm] srevilak: no admins - it's just a user account
[9:49pm] jokeefe: dang. always wary of having passwords passed around.
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: Best if not
[9:50pm] srevilak: I'll see if there's a way to allow other users to add to our netlabel
[9:50pm] Malt: the contact info and schedule of the boston area poetry events is on the pad
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings - DesmondRavenstone - how many people can the capital cafe fit?
[9:51pm] DesmondRavenstone: Close to a dozen. There are locations in Copley Square, Harvard Square, and a couple other places in Boston.
[9:52pm] DesmondRavenstone: It's a conference room, reservations for non-profits is free
[9:52pm] jokeefe: let’s talk over email about dates. would be good to have a monthly get together
[9:53pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:53pm] Pirate_Joe: Parking would be nice if we are able to get it
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Berkshire meeting is still being planned. Looking at something for cambridge/somerville.
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Newsletter - I am planning a newsletter for volunteers by Friday asking for specific help and a general email news letter Monday. What would you like me to cover in it?
[9:56pm] Pirate_Joe: If we did it in Somerville, could we use the location we did the crytoparty at?
[9:56pm] Malt: asking for groups to involve in the december rally?
[9:56pm] Malt: like other social justice orgs
[9:56pm] DesmondRavenstone: Vigil, local/regional meetups
[9:56pm] jokeefe: I can ask Pirate_Joe

[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: Would save money, a cafe would probably like use to order food
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: Not that I am opposed to food...
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty Capt
[9:58pm] DesmondRavenstone: We like food
[9:58pm] DesmondRavenstone: and humans
[9:58pm] jokeefe: too much sometimes. food that is. 
[9:58pm] DesmondRavenstone: not necessarily humans AS food … "To Serve Man"
[9:58pm] jokeefe: lol. gotta go rewatch that one
[9:59pm] Malt: klaatu etc etc
[9:59pm] jokeefe: they wanted us to play nice, IIRC.
[9:59pm] DesmondRavenstone: You're mixing stories, Klaatu's "Day the Earth Stood Still"
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: We are at time, any further topics?
[9:59pm] jokeefe: agreed.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: All in favor of adjourning?
[10:00pm] DesmondRavenstone: aye
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[10:00pm] jokeefe: aye. I’ll post the notes
[10:00pm] Malt: aye
[10:00pm] srevilak: aye
[10:01pm] jokeefe: thanks for everyone’s help
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: Ty sir and good night everyone!
[10:01pm] DesmondRavenstone: g'night mateys!
[10:01pm] Malt: night!
[10:01pm] jokeefe: ++good