October 10th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


Lowell City Council Meeting



brainstorm ideas for outreach/recruiting

Homelessness in MA and what we can do to help


Video Newsletter

  • Register to Vote

Regional Meetings

Tech Meeting


  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes - posted. jokeefe will create petition
  • Free Reality Winner - Approved. jokeefe will write a statement
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Bill wasn't passed by the legislature, but may be back. Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for. Bill did not get out of committee (jokeefe)

Computer Donations


Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • install a Matrix server (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events

  • 10/12, Submission due date for tables/workshop requests for Boston Anarchist Bookfair
  • 10/16, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 10/17, Last Day to Register to Vote
  • 10/23, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 10/30, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 10/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Oct, Boston-area Chapter Meeting
  • Oct, Democracy/IT meeting. Email info@masspirates.org for the location


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)


  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr




[9:03pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_10th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:03pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:04pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes
[9:04pm] DesmondRavenstone: Maybe brainstorm ideas for outreach/recruiting?
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: Homelessness in MA and what we can do to help.
[9:05pm] jokeefe: both work
[9:05pm] Pirate_Joe: This will touch upon SWR DesmonRavenstone
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Lowell City Council Meeting
[9:06pm] Pirate_Joe: I was happy to attend and plan to attend many more in the future.
[9:07pm] Pirate_Joe: There were a wide varity of topics covered but there are 5 in particular that I would like to bring forth for discussion.
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ok
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: The first point is one that I makes me proud to be from Lowell. During the council meeting we spoke to an Africa delegate whom came to Lowell last night. He was there to thank us for all the work we have done to help the people of his nation with providing an opportunity for them here.
[9:09pm] DesmondRavenstone left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: This being the start to a lot of great work, including schooling and visas, to help both communities grow and become better.
[9:11pm] Pirate_Joe: The council awarded him a key to the city and I will be looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:13pm] Pirate_Joe: The next topic has to do with eminent domain. Due to all the problems with the high school, the city is looking to invoke eminent domain in order to build a new school. They are doing this despite vote where everyone in Lowell voted to repair the existing school.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: sigh
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: The next major problem is with homelessness in Lowell. It has become a major problem with them in the downtown area.  I spoke briefly with Superintendent of police, Raymond Richardson, whom stated that a large number of them had mental health issues. I plan on following up with him to get better numbers but would like to lobby this issue down in Bo
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: ston.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: homes and health care are a good place to start
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: The next topic is cannabis in Lowell. Even though Lowell is already home to a large scale operation for medical, they plan to 'drag their feet' on this topic when it comes to the retail.  We should show our support to MassCan on this topic and bring it to light.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Sure. Would be good to reach out to them and see if there are any activists in Lowell you and other Lowell pirates can help
[9:21pm] Pirate_Joe: There were many other small issues, to go over, but the last really hit home for me.  Our budget is a complete disaster.  The are talking about taking land to build a new school, but the truth is the even with all the new and thriving companies in Lowell, we can seem to keep up with the repairs in our roads and public buildings.
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: I would like help in order to see what I can do as a citizen to get my hands on those records. I plan to reach out to you this weekend Jamie for the general process on how to get that.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: That sounds about right for many cities that aren’t Boston or Cambridge
[9:23pm] Pirate_Joe: If we can't fix things on a small scale, how are we to give hope to the entire nation?
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Cambridge has 6 times as many jobs as residents. Boston is the next highest and everyone else is much below those two
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Austerity sucks
[9:24pm] jokeefe: It is the 30 year disinvestment in government services
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: If the solution is one that is state wide, then that's were we go.
[9:25pm] Pirate_Joe: Which may mean we go to every city and see what that number is.  Kinda makes me shudder at that workload but the devil is in the details....
[9:26pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Let’s find the solutions to add to the platform
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Agreed
[9:27pm] jokeefe: ok to move on?
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Si
[9:27pm] jokeefe: MassMesh
[9:28pm] jokeefe: continuing work on a local project. likely will be at the anarchist bookfair
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:29pm] jokeefe: outreach/recruiting
[9:29pm] jokeefe: I think organizing local meetings is a good start
[9:30pm] jokeefe: we can call volunteers and focus on turning them out
[9:30pm] jokeefe: other ideas?
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: I believe Desmond wanted to speak to that effect, however it seems that is no longer with us.
[9:31pm] jokeefe: aye.
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: I would like to plan a monthly meeting down in your neck of the woods. Maybe do it as a fishing trip during the summer months. 
[9:32pm] jokeefe:
[9:32pm] jokeefe: monthly is good
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: http://www.bostonfishingcharter.com/
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Beer and pirate business!
[9:33pm] jokeefe: shouldn’t we be taking over other boats?
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: lol
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: We could. I could get us a boat for free and we could fix it up.
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: As a pirate project
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: The only challenge is needing dock space or keeping it in the bay
[9:35pm] jokeefe: true
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: keeping it in the bay may be safer though.
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Anyways, I went off topic, sorry
[9:36pm] jokeefe: no worries
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: Having an actual boat would get members though, lol.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Would likely be the first Pirate Party to do that
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Homelessness in MA and what we can do to help
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: Yes. I would like to propose a motion to investigate the status and scope of this issue.
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Can we just leave it to the platform?
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: I am sure that there is a large mental health portion to this problem as well as part of the opiod problem.
[9:39pm] Pirate_Joe: I am not sure what you mean by that. Make it a part of the platform?
[9:39pm] jokeefe: We added a discussion of it to the platform
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: O, ok. Thank you.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_29th,_2018_Party_Conference#Housing_.26_Homelessness
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Moving on to Projects
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - Do you have time to record one Sunday?
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: I would also like to offical work on this issue on behalf of the party as well.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: go for it!
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: I will be able to Sunday so long as it's before 10PM
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you for that.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Works for me.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Morning?
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: I have my 1st born until 5pm So it would have to be between 5pm and 10pm unfortunately
[9:45pm] jokeefe: 5:30pm?
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: perfect
[9:46pm] jokeefe: great
[9:46pm] jokeefe: Would you have time to edit any of the conference videos?
[9:48pm] Pirate_Joe: Sunday night I would. Plus I will be in my office a lot next week so I am sure I can get things done between projects.
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Thank you
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: How will I get the files?
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: Snailmail?
[9:49pm] jokeefe: The ones on youtube
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Just edit there.
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: ok
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings
[9:50pm] jokeefe: We have someone to organize one in the Berkshires
[9:50pm] jokeefe: I’ll organize one in Boston-area
[9:51pm] Pirate_Joe: If your asking, I would be happy to start one in Lowell
[9:52pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Will send out an email to the people who signed up to organize communities, but we should plan to call them as well
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Tech Meeting - Setting up one for late October/early November
[9:55pm] Pirate_Joe: Can we table this to our next in person meeting?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: tech meeting?
[9:56pm] Pirate_Joe: That way we get the in person meetings going.
[9:56pm] jokeefe: ok. I am sure we will discuss progress over the next two months. before it gets too cold
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: Sure
[9:57pm] jokeefe: anything else to discuss?
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: If I did it would not matter, we are at time!
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: As it turns out. I think I just signed myself up for enough additional work for one evening so that would be a nay.
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: Well.....
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: Maybe have a potluck at your house or mine?
[9:59pm] jokeefe: or both!
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: Just do it as a monthly round robin?
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: that would be fair.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: let’s see who else will host too
[10:00pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn?
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: I second
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: All in favor?
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[10:01pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: Good night sir.
[10:01pm] jokeefe: thanks you too
[10:02pm] jokeefe: I’ll post notes