October 24th, 2011 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 22:13, 1 February 2018 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search


1. Status everything

   a.  OccupyBoston update
   b.  Getting $ donation form up
   c.  Update on the video of Gregory Engels talk
   d.  How 2 Run 4 Office class at OccupyBoston

2. Kickstarter campaign for OccupyBoston bumper stickers?

3. Discussion about, whether or not we should assist Ryan Moffitt (Florida Pirate Party's candidate for the House of Representatives) with his campaign.

4. Anything else others want to bring up

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:


  • irc name - name, home town


Meeting Minutes


[21:15] == SplendidSpoon [~lpespisa@] has joined #masspirates [21:17] <jokeefe> hi [21:17] <SplendidSpoon> Hi [21:19] == jp [183f564d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has joined #masspirates [21:21] == Shidash [~Shidash@c-50-133-229-20.hsd1.ma.comcast.net] has joined #masspirates [21:21] <jokeefe> hi JP & Shidash [21:21] <Shidash> hi [21:21] <jp> hallo [21:22] <jokeefe> I am rounding up folks I can find [21:22] <jokeefe> the agenda is at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=October_24th,_2011_IRC_Meeting [21:25] == Lucia__ [ad4cff92@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has joined #masspirates [21:26] <Lucia__> Hi [21:27] <jokeefe> hi [21:28] == DoctorOrbis [47aefb72@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has joined #masspirates [21:28] <jokeefe> hi DoctorOrbis [21:28] <DoctorOrbis> Hello :) [21:30] <jokeefe> The agenda is at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=October_24th,_2011_IRC_Meeting [21:31] <jokeefe> start with id's jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville [21:31] <jp> JP Hollembaek, lowell [21:31] <Lucia__> Lucia Fiero [21:31] <SplendidSpoon> Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro [21:31] <DoctorOrbis> DoctorOrbis - Alfred B. Roney, Belmont [21:34] <jokeefe> Shidash - Shidash McGrath, Brookline [21:34] <jokeefe> anyone want to add/subtract anything? [21:35] <jp> occupy lowell is moving along nicely [21:35] <Lucia__> Jason is on the livestream talking to occupiers all over the country. [21:36] == Lucia__ [ad4cff92@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has quit [Quit: Page closed] [21:36] <jokeefe> cool, looks like some folks are working on an OccupySomerville. I will give them a holler. [21:36] == Lucia_ [ad4cff92@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has joined #masspirates [21:36] <jokeefe> anyone had a chance to drop by at OB? [21:36] <Lucia_> Grr. [21:37] <jokeefe> browser issues? [21:37] <Lucia_> I'm fine [21:37] <DoctorOrbis> I went to the privacy talk. [21:37] <Shidash> I was at OB on Friday and will be there tomorrow [21:37] == Lucia_ [ad4cff92@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has quit [Client Quit] [21:38] <jokeefe> how was the privacy talk? [21:38] == Lucia_ [ad4cff92@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has joined #masspirates [21:38] <Lucia_> Sorry [21:38] <DoctorOrbis> WB [21:39] <DoctorOrbis> a good overview of available technologies - Tor, GPG &c [21:39] <Lucia_> Sorry what is? [21:39] <jokeefe> OB privacy talk [21:39] <Lucia_> k [21:39] <jokeefe> any handouts? [21:40] <DoctorOrbis> yes [21:40] <jokeefe> any url to them? [21:42] <DoctorOrbis> I gave mine to a latecomer, didn't get a url to the handout. [21:42] <Shidash> oh, who gave the talk? [21:43] <jokeefe> ACLU, would someone ping them to get whatever they had that is written? [21:44] <jokeefe> Robb Swanson - http://privacysos.org/node/329 [21:45] <jokeefe> On the on-line donation system - I haven't touched base with David, I will call him tomorrow. [21:46] <Lucia_> To donate to Pirates? [21:46] <jokeefe> On "Update on the video of Gregory Engels talk" - I'll follow up with Erik tomorrow [21:46] <jokeefe> yes [21:46] <jokeefe> it would be nice if we had a way for people to give money to us [21:47] <jokeefe> anyone can now, but it requires a check [21:48] <Lucia_> Um I forget who is the quartermaster? [21:48] <jokeefe> David Hardwick [21:48] <jokeefe> If someone else wants to touch base with Erik, that would be great. I can send his contact info. I know he received the DVDs I sent him. [21:50] <jokeefe> On "How 2 Run 4 Office class at OccupyBoston" - I have to finish revising the talk. The email msg went out, blog post up. Tweets are scheduled to go out. Feel free to forward it to people who you think would be interested. [21:50] <jokeefe> JP, can we still have a class in Lowell in Nov? [21:51] <jp> odds are good. Im networked a bit better then a month ago, so anticipate higher crowds. getting a classroom shouldnt be too hard; let me know what dates are good [21:53] <jokeefe> will do [21:53] <jokeefe> also the FB event for OB talks is at https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=236144053108892 [21:54] <jokeefe> Next on the agenda is 2. Kickstarter campaign for OccupyBoston bumper stickers? [21:55] <jokeefe> did folks see Sean's email? [21:56] <Lucia_> Two jobs one? [21:57] <jokeefe> ? [21:57] <jokeefe> "Ok, so this is a bit of a dumb question, but does anyone know of someplace I can get OWS bumperstickers where the profit will go to support OWS and not some store? Or have we thought about putting some together? I kinda want one of the "We the people 99%" ones and the one that says "I'll believe that corporations are people when Texas executes one" And it would be cool to have a few with a piratical bent...although my mind is not coming up with any examples. Maybe something about captains who are sup [21:58] <jokeefe> "Maybe something about captains who are supposed to go down with the ship, not be the first into the lifeboat?" [22:01] <jokeefe> is this a project anyone wants to head up or work on? Our own bumperstickers would be cool. Could do it as a kickstarter effort. [22:02] <SplendidSpoon> It'd be cool but I don't know anything about anything involved enough to do anything with this [22:02] <SplendidSpoon> Wow, most useless response ever. [22:02] <jokeefe> :-) [22:03] <Lucia_> Some one is trying to trademark OWS [22:04] <jokeefe> yes [22:04] <DoctorOrbis> I saw that article, too [22:04] <Lucia_> Sorry have to help Sam BRB [22:04] <jokeefe> thanks for sharing that [22:04] <jokeefe> k [22:04] <DoctorOrbis> There has to be some indy print shop in town that's sympathetic to the cause. [22:04] <jokeefe> Well, SplendidSpoon, we need 1) slogans 2) someone to turn the slogans into bumpersticker designs 3) someone to handle the kickstarter site [22:05] <jokeefe> deciding what designs to do could be collective decision. if we can do more than one, then great [22:05] <SplendidSpoon> Are these supposed to be just for OccupyBoston or for Pirate Party or what? [22:06] <jokeefe> if OccupyBoston then all of the money goes to OccupyBoston, seems only right [22:06] <jokeefe> not sure if we need GA permission. [22:06] <SplendidSpoon> Yea seems like something to take up with the rest of them then [22:07] <SplendidSpoon> It's a good idea, surprised it hasn't been done [22:07] <SplendidSpoon> and I'd slap some on my car for sure [22:07] <Lucia_> I'm back [22:07] <jokeefe> If we make it clear that the money goes to OccupyBoston/WallSt, might not need permission? [22:08] <SplendidSpoon> Yea it's a pretty open source movement anyway should be ok [22:08] <SplendidSpoon> I just am not creative enough to come up with anything but I feel like people over there might have good ideas [22:08] <jokeefe> if we do it as ourselves, then I don't think we should use Occupy slogans, unless saying like "Mass. Pirate Party, part of the 99%" [22:08] <Lucia_> Go for it. [22:09] <jokeefe> Sean said he can help with slogans. [22:10] <jokeefe> Jeanne or Clay may be able to do layout [22:10] <Lucia_> If we use "Why join the Navy when you can be a pirate?" We could get sued by Apple and have a test case. [22:10] <jokeefe> that leaves someone to do project mgmt and someone to handle the kick starter page [22:11] <jokeefe> "Why join the Navy when you can be a pirate?" is Apple's? sigh. [22:11] <Lucia_> Not sure actually [22:11] <SplendidSpoon> Im asking the OccupyBoston irc channel if anyone is trying this already yet [22:11] <Lucia_> It is atributed to Steve Jobs [22:11] <jokeefe> not sure it is wise to get into a trademark dispute [22:11] <Lucia_> Really? OK. Maybe some other time. [22:12] <jp> someone should patent it and make it open source >> [22:12] <Lucia_> Who can own a friggin sentence, anyway? [22:12] <jokeefe> that would be an interesting patent application. [22:13] <SplendidSpoon> ok so then these would be stickers for both pirate party AND occupy Boston? [22:13] <jokeefe> could be [22:14] <Lucia_> We want to be careful not to look like evil co opters [22:14] <jp> yeah, some people are already trying to parent occupy wallstreet for the monies [22:14] <SplendidSpoon> OK I am talking to ppl in occupybosotn chat [22:14] <jp> if we were to patent occupy boston, we would want it to be public domain [22:14] <Lucia_> It would have to be more like Pirates support the occupiers [22:14] <SplendidSpoon> and somone is saying that they have contacts for cheap vinyl stickers [22:16] <jokeefe> it would be a trademark on OccupyBoston (tm) [22:16] <jokeefe> useless monopoly [22:17] <jokeefe> SplendidSpoon, I think Chris said he knew someone [22:17] <Lucia_> If someone else trade marks it, could they get an order to cease and desist the use of it? [22:17] <DoctorOrbis> Bad news, quote from Kickstarter' "How Kickstarter Works" page: "Kickstarter cannot be used to fund for charity projects or causes. While there are countless causes worthy of support, we believe that creativity deserves its own space." [22:17] <Lucia_> So for artisits only? [22:17] <jokeefe> guess so [22:17] <Lucia_> :? [22:17] <Lucia_> :/ [22:18] <DoctorOrbis> http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines [22:19] <SplendidSpoon> Wait they used kickstarter for occupy boston globe [22:19] <jokeefe> well, for our stickers, just say we want to raise $x. When we do we order the stickers. How much you give indicates what you get. [22:20] <jokeefe> Lucia_, yes if someone trademarks it and the govt. approves it, then they could issue a C&D, but it would end up in court [22:20] <SplendidSpoon> Oh Ive been talking to this guy [22:20] <SplendidSpoon> Who says he can get us solid funding from OB finance if e put a solid proposal down [22:21] <SplendidSpoon> He is willing to help facilitate that [22:21] <jokeefe> thanks! So we come up with designs, find out how much to print x #, then propose it. that works for OB stickers, [22:22] <SplendidSpoon> Yea I emailed him, I need a few other contacts on this though [22:22] <SplendidSpoon> To link him up with, I am too sporadic to own this project because of work [22:23] <SplendidSpoon> and I'd like to be a part of it and see it done but I am not confident being the point person [22:24] <jokeefe> lets just start with the slogans and go from there. [22:24] <jokeefe> I know I don't more time than that until after the 30th. [22:25] <jokeefe> so talk slogans on email/whereever, than revisit next Monday [22:25] <jokeefe> ? [22:26] <jp> sounds good [22:26] <Lucia_> OK [22:26] <SplendidSpoon> Cool [22:26] <DoctorOrbis> sounds like a plan to me. [22:27] <jokeefe> cool [22:27] <jokeefe> Last topic for the agenda is "3. Discussion about, whether or not we should assist Ryan Moffitt (Florida Pirate Party's candidate for the House of Representatives) with his campaign." [22:28] <jp> what assistance does he need? what can we offer/ [22:29] <jokeefe> don't know. we have our own candidates to promote/raise money for/etc. [22:29] <Lucia_> I will have to read about him before I can give an opinion [22:30] <SplendidSpoon> How much could we really do for someone in Florida anyway? [22:30] <jp> at the least, i expect we can trade ideas [22:30] <jp> see what succeeds or fails, and pass on that info [22:30] <jp> beyond that, Im not sure what we could do [22:30] <jokeefe> ideas are free, great ones priceless [22:32] <jp> yup [22:33] <jokeefe> I could see offering support once we have identified more people to offer support, though I suggest that our focus should be locally. [22:33] <jp> agreed. we arent the pirate national convention yet [22:33] <jokeefe> BTW: here is our candidate selection section of our articles of agreement - http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=Articles_of_Agreement#Article_8.0_-_Candidate_Selection [22:34] <jokeefe> Should we defer until we get more info (other than sharing ideas of course) ? [22:35] <jp> 2nded [22:35] <Lucia_> That was what I planned to do so yeah [22:35] <SplendidSpoon> Yea [22:36] <DoctorOrbis> aye [22:36] <jokeefe> great [22:36] <jokeefe> that is all there is [22:36] <jokeefe> BTW: the next in-person meeting time poll is up, please fill it out soon - http://www.doodle.com/2hp5rrf9vsam3tw4 thanks! [22:37] <jokeefe> anything else folks want to bring up? [22:37] <jp> good here [22:38] <Lucia_> Noope [22:38] <jokeefe> motion to adjourn? [22:38] <jp> 2nd [22:38] <Lucia_> 2nd [22:38] <Lucia_> boop [22:38] <jp> -wins [22:38] <SplendidSpoon> :) [22:38] <Lucia_> That's why ur the candidate baby [22:39] <jokeefe> thanks all! hope you can make my class on the 30th [22:39] <jp> =^_^= [22:39] <jp> good night all [22:40] <Lucia_> We will try. [22:40] <Lucia_> Good night. [22:40] <jokeefe> good night! [22:40] <SplendidSpoon> Nighty night