October 24th, 2013 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 22:35, 1 February 2018 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. Tasks
    1. DMC 2013
      1. Who can help srevilak with Cryptoparty?
      2. Who will be able to table besides Bluelustreak, Kendra & jokeefe?
      3. Advertise it!
    2. Fundraiser on Dec. 28th
      1. Space?
      2. Performers?
    3. 2014 Campaigns (http://piratenpad.de/SKwdoMqk26)
      1. jokeefe looking for date/location for Campaign training
      2. Need to outsource map analysis
      3. Voter Reg. App status
      4. How to videos status
  2. Decisions
  3. Events
    1. Million Mask March, State House, Boston, MA, 9am-midnight
    2. LibrePlanet Free Software Meeting, Weds Nov 6th, evening, Jamie speaking on the "Dangers of the Surveillance State"
    3. Berkman Center Mesh Network Cryptoday, Cambridge/Somerville, Wed., Nov. 6th
    4. Scorpion Bowl, Positronic Design, 903 Dwight St, Holyoke MA. Nov 9th
    5. Issue Meeting, 11/17 based on http://doodle.com/cn6s2aatkhb5kpzc choose in the poll]
    6. Lowell Cryptoparty at Lowell Makes makerspace, all day affair
    7. LibrePlanet Free Software Meeting, Weds Dec 4th, evening, Steve speaking ? or is it Jan?
    8. December CryptoParty, Versus News, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, 4th Floor, Cambridge, Sat., Dec. 14, 1-3pm
    9. December Issue Meeting
    10. 'Phone banking, Sun., Oct/Nov/Dec
  4. Local Chapters
    1. Somerville picking date for first meeting


  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • js0000 (john saylor: wally waltham)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington MA)
  • JCFiero (Jason Fiero)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Arlington)
  • Joe (Joe Guertin - Bellingham Ma)
  • Igel (hi)


  • Shidash
  • ageis
  • zby
  • davidd


  • DMC/cryptoparty. Steve presenting; Jamie and Kendra available to help. Several people available to table/flyer.
  • December fundraiser. Possible locations: Industry labs (Cambridge), Crown (Lowell), Somerville VFW, Out of the Blue Gallery (Central Square)
  • Campaign training. Tentatively in January at Sprouts. Nomination papers come out in February.
  • Election maps: https://support.google.com/maps/answer/41136?hl=en might help us with uploading a .kmz file to Google maps.
  • Based on poll, in-person/issue meeting will be Nov 17th (Pizzaria Regina).
  • With respect to platform, look at https://www.pirateparty.org.uk/media/uploads/Manifesto2012.pdf; this is the UK Pirate Party manifesto. Are there things we can adopt as-is?

Meeting Minutes

[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda - http://masspirates.org/wiki/October_24th,_2013_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington MA
[9:02pm] Kendra joined the chat room.
[9:02pm] Joe: Joe Guertin - Bellingham Ma
[9:02pm] jokeefe: hi Kendra
[9:02pm] JCFiero: Jason Fiero
[9:02pm] Kendra: Hi, Kendra Moyer, Arlington
[9:03pm] Bluestreak: Lucia Fiero
[9:04pm] igel_ joined the chat room.
[9:04pm] igel_: re; where are we srevilak
[9:04pm] srevilak: intros. Say "hi" igel_ 
[9:04pm] igel_: hi
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Tasks - DMC 2013
[9:04pm] js0000: john saylor: wally waltham
[9:04pm] Bluestreak: Nice agenda Cap'n thanks.
[9:04pm] jokeefe: who is going?
[9:04pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:04pm] igel_: brb
[9:05pm] Bluestreak: Jason and I will be there Sunday, only me Sat.
[9:05pm] srevilak: I'm attending all three days
[9:05pm] Bluestreak: So that is 4 ppl on Saturday with Kendra
[9:05pm] • igel_ will be there sat/noon
[9:05pm] Bluestreak: EXCELLENT
[9:05pm] js0000: can't make it, sry
[9:06pm] igel_: its 3 days wow
[9:06pm] jokeefe: great. I'll bring the fliers,  hope to be there Fri/Sat morn-afternoon
[9:06pm] Bluestreak: I am printing the MMM flyers
[9:06pm] Kendra: I am going Saturday.  don't know about Friday or Sunday.
[9:06pm] Bluestreak: and Alex's Flyers
[9:06pm] jokeefe: good, thanks
[9:06pm] Bluestreak: Mya I suggest another flyer Captain?
[9:06pm] Joe: I'll be busy for the next couple weeks with my mom recovering from surgery
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak
[9:06pm] Bluestreak: Something about the bill
[9:07pm] jokeefe: here is to a rapid recovery!
[9:07pm] igel_: where is anoninma
[9:07pm] Bluestreak: 10,000 reg voters
[9:07pm] Kendra: Hope your mom's feeling better Joe
[9:07pm] srevilak: Joe: I echo Kendra's sentiments
[9:07pm] Bluestreak: Attempting to strangel 3rd parties in their infancy
[9:07pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: what is "MMM"?
[9:07pm] Joe: Thank you
[9:07pm] jokeefe: the more fliers the better, Bluestreak
[9:07pm] Bluestreak: Million Mask March
[9:07pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: kthx
[9:08pm] Bluestreak: Um...
[9:08pm] js0000: yes, get well
[9:08pm] Bluestreak: Looking for help with those, James
[9:08pm] jokeefe: srevilak, I can help you with the cryptoparty
[9:08pm] srevilak: jokeefe: great, thx
[9:08pm] Bluestreak: Will there be video od the crypto party?
[9:08pm] Kendra: I can at the crypto party too, if needed
[9:09pm] srevilak: Kendra: thx also
[9:09pm] igel_: hi Kendra
[9:09pm] Kendra: Hi Will
[9:09pm] igel_: the arlington crew 
[9:09pm] jokeefe: please spread the word about it, the more the merrier
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Tasks - Fundraiser on Dec. 28th
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Any word on a space?
[9:10pm] igel_: has everyone uploaded their pgp keys to the new icloud
[9:10pm] igel_: heh.
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: Kendra and I talked by phone today
[9:10pm] Bluestreak: about the FR
[9:10pm] jokeefe: only the private ones lgel_
[9:11pm] Kendra: Talking to VS people about Dec 28, nothing concrete.  They have been having some funding issues.  I am going over there tomorrow.
[9:11pm] Kendra: Will be looing at an option for a Plan B just in case
[9:11pm] Bluestreak: K also suggested the Somerville VFW
[9:11pm] jokeefe: how many can fit in VS?
[9:11pm] Bluestreak: Chance offered the Crown, but Saturday would be a problem
[9:11pm] Bluestreak: Sunday the 29th or Thurs
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: the 26th would be better
[9:12pm] Bluestreak: Chance would perform for free but my Dance Friday DJ friend is not available
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: I could ask her if she has other leads on DJ who are good and work for free.
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: DJs that is
[9:13pm] Kendra: Probably about 50.  It's not a huge space, maybe twice as big as E5's main space.  A largish room.  How many are we trying to fit in there?
[9:13pm] jokeefe: VFW is $100/hr, but $300 min.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: 50-100 would be good
[9:13pm] Bluestreak: Crown could be free but is in LOWELL
[9:14pm] Bluestreak: SVFW certainly is convenient.
[9:14pm] Kendra: There is also the Blue Gallery space over by central.  That's pretty central and the guys reasonable price wise.  You can have a band, drinks and get noisy.
[9:14pm] Bluestreak: Can you get us in there?
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Crown is a nice space.  Blue Gallery worth considering
[9:15pm] Kendra: A lot of the bands I know play there and it is cheap from what I understand.
[9:15pm] Bluestreak: Is this the BG you mean? Looks hip http://www.outoftheblueartgallery.com/
[9:15pm] Kendra: I know the guy in passing.  I could maybe go talk to hm tomorrow while I am going over to Industry.
[9:15pm] Kendra: yes that's it.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:16pm] Bluestreak: Yes thank you.
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Good that Chance would perform.  Other possibilities?
[9:17pm] Bluestreak: Chance has other leads. Cary (the DJ) does too.
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: I will work some more on it tomorrow.
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: Haven't heard from Bonnie yet (She is in demand)
[9:18pm] Bluestreak: She will prolly want to get paid 
[9:20pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:20pm] jokeefe: the sooner we know, the sooner we can start advertising it
[9:20pm] Bluestreak: Understood
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Tasks - 2014 Campaigns
[9:21pm] jokeefe: I am looking for a space for a campaign training.  e5 could work
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Was thinking December, but it might be too busy.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: November is too busy.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: January can work
[9:23pm] Bluestreak: Does it have to be before papers are released?
[9:23pm] Bluestreak: Perhaps just after?
[9:23pm] Bluestreak: Or is that too late?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Should be before
[9:23pm] Bluestreak: Then January latest.
[9:23pm] Kendra: What papers are you guys referring to?
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Mid Feb is when papers are available
[9:24pm] jokeefe: nomination papers
[9:24pm] Kendra: thx
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: Are you looking for volunteers?
[9:24pm] Bluestreak: To find a space?
[9:25pm] Bluestreak: For the training? Or are we just trying to settle on a time frame?
[9:27pm] igel_ left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 240 seconds)
[9:28pm] Kendra: What are the most pressing tasks that need to happen first?
[9:28pm] jokeefe: trying to settle on a time frame
[9:28pm] jokeefe: space recommendations good
[9:28pm] Bluestreak: OK I say January
[9:28pm] jokeefe: sprouts could also work, though sunday would have better parking
[9:28pm] jokeefe: if there isn't too much snow
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: We have Aaron Swartz anniversary on 13th Arisia starts 17th
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: I like Sprouts
[9:29pm] Bluestreak: That's it so far for Jan
[9:30pm] jokeefe: will ask sprouts
[9:30pm] Bluestreak: Oh, thank you!
[9:31pm] jokeefe: map analysis - JCFiero - is the file someplace people can get or can we load it into maps.google.com?
[9:32pm] JCFiero: Ive never loaded anything up to maps.google.com
[9:32pm] JCFiero: but that would be great
[9:32pm] jokeefe: what is the extension again?
[9:33pm] JCFiero: I havent made any changes to the kmz file
[9:33pm] JCFiero: kmz
[9:33pm] JCFiero: I think
[9:33pm] js0000: kgb
[9:34pm] js0000: (joke)
[9:34pm] jokeefe: ha ha
[9:34pm] jokeefe: JCFiero - take a look at this - https://support.google.com/maps/answer/41136?hl=en
[9:34pm] Bluestreak: Jason is looking for the file
[9:35pm] JCFiero: think I called it MPP data.kmz
[9:36pm] jokeefe: ok, lets look at it
[9:37pm] jokeefe: see if we can get something easily available to folks by the next meeting
[9:37pm] jokeefe: js0000 - any progress on the voter app?
[9:37pm] jokeefe: voter registration app
[9:38pm] js0000: no
[9:38pm] Bluestreak: Question for jokeefe
[9:39pm] js0000: but i will work son
[9:39pm] JCFiero: "Keep in mind that your KML file must be hosted on a website to view it in Google Maps." - the file is called MPPdata.kmz and we have to host it google drive will work?
[9:39pm] js0000: soon
[9:39pm] Bluestreak: can JC put the file on Google drive?
[9:39pm] jokeefe: srevilak, would you be able to put it up on our site?
[9:39pm] js0000: i can host
[9:40pm] js0000: how big is file?
[9:40pm] Bluestreak: How does he get the file to you?
[9:40pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I can work on it
[9:40pm] Bluestreak: Jason is checking
[9:40pm] jokeefe: if js0000 wants to host.  whatever is quickest
[9:40pm] JCFiero: 10.3 MB (10,898,591 bytes)
[9:40pm] js0000: np
[9:40pm] js0000: dropbox?
[9:40pm] Bluestreak: Can we email the file?
[9:41pm] Bluestreak: Jason will have to get a drop box
[9:41pm] Bluestreak: (mine's full)
[9:41pm] js0000: email not great w 10MB
[9:41pm] jokeefe: I can put there so js0000 can get it
[9:42pm] JCFiero: js note its a KMZ and the instructions say "If you are have a KMZ file, please use ZIP 2.0 or "legacy" compatible compression. Otherwise, the .kmz file might not uncompress in geo-browsers such as Google Earth. Using the more advanced compression methods (e.g., bzip2, LZMA, etc.) will not be compatible."
[9:42pm] Bluestreak: Don't compress it
[9:42pm] Bluestreak: Use drop box
[9:42pm] js0000: i wasn't going to zip
[9:42pm] jokeefe: should be there in a minute
[9:43pm] Bluestreak: jokeefe?
[9:43pm] js0000: 10mb uncompressed?
[9:43pm] jokeefe: in dropbox
[9:43pm] Bluestreak: Jason has never used DB
[9:43pm] Bluestreak: We will do it after IRC
[9:44pm] Bluestreak: Full disclosure, he is working while we are meeting. Oops.
[9:45pm] igel_ joined the chat room.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: hi lgel_
[9:45pm] igel_: tech diff here.
[9:45pm] igel_:  'elo..
[9:46pm] igel_: whats the topic
[9:46pm] Bluestreak: lol
[9:46pm] jokeefe: campaign tasks
[9:46pm] Bluestreak: We were trashing Will Fluereant, you know him?
[9:46pm] igel_: *shrug*
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Joe, I want to start on the how to campaign videos, if I get video to you, would you be able to spiff them up?
[9:47pm] igel_: aaah #3
[9:47pm] Bluestreak: Jason: "OMG there is not a single strip club within our legislative district!"
[9:47pm] Bluestreak: Ah GIS
[9:47pm] jokeefe: not even US House?
[9:48pm] jokeefe: not that I would care
[9:48pm] Bluestreak: LOL
[9:48pm] jokeefe: is true
[9:48pm] Bluestreak: *still laughing*
[9:49pm] jokeefe: not the sox sadly
[9:49pm] Bluestreak: Beware! Jason is the great corrupter!
[9:49pm] jokeefe: they should be unionized
[9:50pm] Bluestreak: Strippers?
[9:50pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:50pm] Bluestreak: Go to it, sir!
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Guess I will email Joe later on the videos
[9:51pm] Bluestreak: I am pinging him on FB
[9:51pm] jokeefe: ageis, you there?
[9:51pm] Bluestreak: He must have toddled off
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Events
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Looks like 11/17 is the date for the Issue Meeting
[9:52pm] jokeefe: based on the poll
[9:52pm] Bluestreak: OK cool
[9:52pm] Bluestreak: Will miss having y'all at our house 
[9:52pm] jokeefe: us too.
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Bluestreak would you make an FB event for the issue meeting?
[9:53pm] Bluestreak: Yes sir
[9:53pm] Kendra: Is that at the Pizza place?
[9:53pm] Bluestreak: Making a list
[9:53pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:55pm] Joe: Ya I can spiff up the videos and add whatever you need
[9:55pm] jokeefe: might as well start big.  lets just start with the German Pirate Party's platform and see what we can adopt without question.
[9:55pm] jokeefe: thanks Joe
[9:55pm] Bluestreak: Yay, Joe!
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: OH!
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: HSISP for all
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: Right in the PPUK manifesto
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: Jason?
[9:56pm] JCFiero: https://www.pirateparty.org.uk/media/uploads/Manifesto2012.pdf
[9:56pm] Bluestreak: TY
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: Page 11
[9:57pm] jokeefe: The only other news I have is that I think I have is that the Somerville Pirates will be holding our first meeting soon.
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: We have news too
[9:57pm] Bluestreak: Joe and I were talking about starting our own local chapter
[9:58pm] jokeefe: yay!
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: tri-county Pirates
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: Need to hit up Dean college
[9:58pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:58pm] Bluestreak: Joe is gonna do that. right Joe?
[9:58pm] Kendra: Makes sense.  It's easier to organize locally.  You can also bring more people in  if your efforts are not spread thin.
[9:58pm] jokeefe: goals!
[9:58pm] Joe: I know a few students there so I can talk tot them
[9:59pm] jokeefe: oops wrong sport
[9:59pm] jokeefe: home run Ortiz!
[9:59pm] jokeefe: 2-1 Sox
[9:59pm] js0000: papi!!!
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: LOL
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: SO DON'T CARE!
[9:59pm] jokeefe: too each their own
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: I used to care too much!
[9:59pm] JCFiero: sacrilege!
[9:59pm] Bluestreak: and they never won!
[10:00pm] jokeefe: anything else folks want to bring up?
[10:00pm] Bluestreak: Jim Rice, Yaz, Carton Fisk
[10:00pm] Bluestreak: 1986 world series!
[10:00pm] js0000: not good to care too much about sports
[10:00pm] srevilak: Can I do quick update on my FOIA requests?
[10:00pm] Bluestreak: See I did care... once
[10:00pm] Bluestreak: Oooh please!
[10:00pm] jokeefe: yes please, srevilak
[10:01pm] srevilak: Heard back from FBI.  No FBI file, but with a Glomar disclaimer.
[10:01pm] Bluestreak: Um?
[10:01pm] Bluestreak: Glomar?
[10:01pm] srevilak: (i.e., the fact that they say I have no file doesn't confirm existence or non-existence of said file)
[10:02pm] jokeefe: that was fast
[10:02pm] srevilak: Bluestreak: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_response
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Those fuckers
[10:02pm] srevilak: Yes, pretty quick turnaround
[10:02pm] jokeefe: blog post with image of letter?
[10:02pm] jokeefe: and how-to?
[10:02pm] Bluestreak: Oh yes please!
[10:02pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I'll try to write one tomorrow am
[10:03pm] srevilak: MBHSR should have just gotten my request for BRIC file.
[10:03pm] srevilak: And I asked NSA for a copy of my call detail records
[10:03pm] jokeefe: BRIC req would be good too
[10:03pm] Bluestreak: Like MuckRock asked for FeinSteins
[10:03pm] Bluestreak:
[10:03pm] srevilak: Yes, https://www.muckrock.com/news/archives/2013/oct/22/senator-feinstein-give-us-your-metadata/ was quite good
[10:03pm] Bluestreak: <3
[10:04pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I'll write posts on BRIC and NSA once they play out
[10:04pm] jokeefe: thank you
[10:04pm] jokeefe: of course with FBI post, could have three posts 
[10:04pm] srevilak: Yes, "what's in your file", parts 1, 2, and 3
[10:05pm] jokeefe: lol
[10:05pm] jokeefe: gotta start writing that script
[10:06pm] Bluestreak: Happy to give you script feedback
[10:06pm] srevilak: any other places I could send FOIA/PR requests to?
[10:06pm] js0000: irs?
[10:06pm] jokeefe: lol
[10:07pm] jokeefe: TSA
[10:07pm] Kendra: State police, city police, county police, JTTF
[10:07pm] jokeefe: DEA
[10:07pm] Bluestreak: DEA
[10:07pm] srevilak: TSA is good.  I want to know how many pocket knives they collect.  They've got mine 
[10:07pm] jokeefe: lol
[10:07pm] Bluestreak: hee hee
[10:07pm] js0000: grandmother?
[10:08pm] srevilak: Maybe MBTA.  Wonder how much they spent wiring up Porter square, and what their data retention policies are
[10:08pm] Kendra: Not to mention DHS
[10:09pm] srevilak: Lots of good ideas
[10:09pm] srevilak: Well, that's my FOIA update
[10:09pm] jokeefe: any other topics folks want to bring up?
[10:10pm] Bluestreak: Calling
[10:10pm] js0000 left the chat room. (Quit: js0000)
[10:10pm] jokeefe: 2nd motion to adjourn?
[10:10pm] Kendra: 2nd
[10:10pm] igel_ left the chat room. (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
[10:10pm] jokeefe: all in favor
[10:10pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:11pm] srevilak: aye
[10:11pm] Bluestreak: aye
[10:11pm] Kendra: aye, goodnite pirates
[10:11pm] Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
[10:11pm] Bluestreak: See some of y'all Saturday.
[10:11pm] jokeefe: night folks
[10:11pm] Bluestreak: Sweet dreams
[10:11pm] root joined the chat room.