October 25th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:00, 25 October 2016 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search



Aaron James Campaign

Going door-to-door

Need help:

  • calling volunteers
  • calling donors
  • going door-to-door

November Run for local office conference

The objective is to teach people to run for local office. To Do:

  • Blog post
  • Email to potential candidates
  • Call potential candidates
  • Email to all supporters
  • Act-ma
  • Social media
  • Reach out to other political organizations
    • Greens
    • Libertarians
    • Socialists
  • Agenda for event

Blog Posts

  • Aaron James door-to-door
  • Running for local office conference

Upcoming Events

  1. 10/26, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty
  2. 11/8, Election Day
  3. 11/12, 12:30-5pm, Running for local office conference, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge
  4. Dec?, Democracy/IT meeting
  5. Jan?, How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer


  • jokeefe
  • srevilak
  • moses
  • igel
  • kendra


  • davidd
  • papegaai
  • Velveeta_Chef


Aaron james campaign. Campaign is still going door-to-door. 13 more days left. Also planning a final literature drop.

November run for local office conference. Greens expressed interest. Will also check with Socialist Alternative, and people we know who have held local office. Tentative topics:

  • what you can do in local govt
  • running for town meeting
  • running for ohter town and city offices
  • what does a local pirate platform look like

We'd like to give another presentation in Western MA. Still trying to find contacts to help coordinate the logistics.


srevilak: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_25th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
[8:56pm] papegaai: Title: October 25th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[8:57pm] jokeefe: thanks for doing that srevilak
[9:00pm] jokeefe: ok, lets start
[9:00pm] igel: ahoy 
[9:00pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:00pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:01pm] igel: william fleurant, arlington
[9:01pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington
[9:01pm] jokeefe: Aaron James Campaign has 13 days left to campaign. doing more door to door.
[9:02pm] mOSES: Moses, west tisbury
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Planning to get a final lit drop done as well
[9:02pm] jokeefe: that is what I know
[9:03pm] jokeefe: November Run for local office conference
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Mentioned in last email out to supporters
[9:03pm] jokeefe: will get one out to people expressing an interest in being candidates
[9:04pm] srevilak: Thanks.
[9:04pm] jokeefe: reached out to Greens and Libertarians
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Greens expressed interest.  will get them the details
[9:04pm] srevilak: I'd be happy to talk about what town meeting members do
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Will reach out to socialist alternative
[9:05pm] srevilak: would be cool to find a city councelor
[9:05pm] srevilak: Any chance Nadeem (from Cambridge, I think that's his name) would be interested?
[9:05pm] jokeefe: Can ask
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Does Terra hold an office?
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Could see if the Greens or Libertarians can suggest someone as well
[9:06pm] srevilak: She was a selectperson in acton
[9:06pm] srevilak: I can ask if she's interested
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Thank you.  Was thinking we could have sessions on:
[9:07pm] jokeefe: What you can accomplish in local gov.
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Running for town meeting
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Running for other town and city offices
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Maybe:
[9:08pm] jokeefe: What does a Pirate local platform look like?
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Enough time to do all or should we combine the middle two?
[9:09pm] srevilak: We have the space from 12:30 - 5:00, which gives us 3.5 hours (assuming 30 min setup, 30 min teardown)
[9:09pm] srevilak: I think there's enough time
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Does that order make sense?
[9:10pm] Kendra joined the chat room.
[9:10pm] srevilak: I think the order makes sense
[9:10pm] srevilak: hi kendra
[9:10pm] srevilak: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_25th,_2016_IRC_Meeting
[9:10pm] papegaai: Title: October 25th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki (at masspirates.org)
[9:11pm] jokeefe: ahoy Kendra
[9:11pm] Kendra: Hi All
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Going over November Run for local office conference
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Finalizing the schedule
[9:13pm] jokeefe: 1. What you can accomplish in local gov.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: 2. Running for town meeting
[9:13pm] jokeefe: 3. Running for other town and city offices
[9:13pm] jokeefe: 4. What does a Pirate local platform look like
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Trying to find people for 1.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: srevilak, do you want to work on 2 or should I work on that?
[9:14pm] jokeefe: was thinking I would cover 3. just update my slide deck
[9:14pm] srevilak: I'm happy to do #2
[9:14pm] jokeefe: thanks.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Will send you my slide deck if you want to borrow from it
[9:15pm] jokeefe: will you be doing an audio recording?
[9:15pm] srevilak: Yes, I was hoping to
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Good.  Will ask Noe if she can do a video recording
[9:15pm] srevilak: If it's okay, I'd like to worry about the recording and skip streaming
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Alternatively, I could setup my camera on a tripod and feed the audio in from your board
[9:16pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:16pm] srevilak: jokeefe: either way is fine
[9:17pm] jokeefe: I will bring my camera just in case.  if the audio is decent, it doesn’t take long to put it up.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: I still haven’t heard back from my contacts in Worcester and parts west.  Will ping them again.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: mOSES, would you be able to find us a place in the Cape area if we wanted hold one down there?
[9:20pm] mOSES: I can poke around!
[9:20pm] mOSES: where were you thinking specificly
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Somewhere easy enough to get to from North of the bridge and not expensive.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: srevilak, I’ll get you a list of the towns with elected town meeting
[9:25pm] jokeefe: That is all I have.  Anything else we should discuss?
[9:25pm] srevilak: jokeefe: thx
[9:27pm] jokeefe: how are things where you are mOSES & Kendra?
[9:28pm] mOSES: north of what bridge
[9:28pm] mOSES: sorry still new in the area
[9:29pm] igel: sagamore prob
[9:29pm] Kendra: Working and dealing with ghetto type stuff
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Yes, Sagamore
[9:29pm] Kendra: It isarson season and my dogs are digging constant sirens
[9:30pm] Kendra: They have learned to harmonize their howling
[9:30pm] srevilak: wow ...
[9:30pm] Kendra: I really should tape it since I live near hospitals
[9:31pm] igel: each siren should have a tag/reason justifying it.. or a log for starters..
[9:31pm] jokeefe: A day in the life of?
[9:31pm] igel: 'you are free to do as we tell you'
[9:31pm] Kendra: But there was an arson across the street and a firefighter fell three stories and had horrible injuries, so the police and fiemen are all over my  block looking for the arsonist, who is the person owning the house next door, or a firfighter
[9:32pm] igel: sorry to hear that kendra \o
[9:32pm] Kendra: Never a dull moment
[9:32pm] jokeefe: sounds awful, Kendra
[9:33pm] mOSES left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
[9:33pm] Kendra: This neighborhood is a trip.  Guy broke into an apartment around the block and tried to run over a security guard so she killed him last week
[9:33pm] mOSES joined the chat room.
[9:34pm] Kendra: And then the little girl almost got abducted at 6am where I catch the bus last Monday, so I will be taking a vacation soon
[9:35pm] jokeefe: I can well understand
[9:35pm] Kendra: We do not have good transportation, so basically I am housebound after dark
[9:36pm] jokeefe: and the nights get darker
[9:36pm] Kendra: mornings too, I was there when the guy grabbed the girl, and she did get away
[9:36pm] Kendra: But this is a short term situation
[9:37pm] jokeefe: good for her. longer nights suck, but more if you cannot go anywhere else
[9:37pm] Kendra: too stressful
[9:37pm] Kendra: I did want to change the subject to the Pirate Party in Iceland or add an agenda item
[9:38pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:39pm] jokeefe: The seem to be doing well.  1st or 2nd.  Hopefully 1st
[9:40pm] jokeefe: Getting a lot of attention
[9:42pm] Kendra: Are the Mass Pirates building on the reputation, or is that not feasible from a local standpoint.  Do people even understand the significance or context?
[9:42pm] jokeefe: We got an interview because of it.
[9:42pm] Kendra: I like that a woman leads there and they seem to be gaining steam.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Having a press release ready once the election results are announced would be a good thing
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Mention us and Aaron
[9:44pm] jokeefe: Explain the significance
[9:45pm] Kendra: In the internaional context the Pirates really are groundbreaking
[9:46pm] Kendra: You have to make older political systems and parties obselete
[9:46pm] Kendra: Only when people see that the old ways don't work wil they turn to something new
[9:47pm] jokeefe: yes
[9:47pm] Kendra: It would be nice to see the European Pirates start to branch out, but I am impatient
[9:48pm] jokeefe: hard not to be
[9:48pm] Kendra: If I do stay in HP, which has 11K resident and only about 1000 voting, I might run for mayor here, next round
[9:48pm] Kendra: I already know eveyone
[9:48pm] srevilak:
[9:48pm] igel: wicked
[9:49pm] Kendra: The city is run by crooks
[9:49pm] Kendra: The Blackwells
[9:49pm] jokeefe: wow
[9:50pm] Kendra: It's only two sq miles
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Dedicated GOTV and voter outreach and you will win
[9:50pm] Kendra: But in the middle of Detroit
[9:50pm] Kendra: Extremely sexist here though
[9:51pm] Kendra: You have to be a churchy Christian crook to win
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Well if turn out is that low …
[9:52pm] Kendra: If I was really motivated, it would be a cake walk, I could campaign on the bus
[9:53pm] Kendra: The joke here is you can win an election with a hotdog cook out
[9:53pm] Kendra: as frequently happens
[9:57pm] jokeefe: here is my slide deck on running - https://masspirates.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CampaignToWin.pdf
[9:57pm] jokeefe: We are at time, however.
[9:58pm] Kendra: Our mayor Hubert Yopp was elected last fall. The previous mayor was a convicted drug dealer, so the bar is low
[9:58pm] igel: gtg
[9:58pm] srevilak: motion to adjourn
[9:58pm] jokeefe: 2nd
[9:58pm] jokeefe: yes, that is a low bar, Kendra
[9:58pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:59pm] srevilak: aye
[9:59pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:59pm] igel: aye
[9:59pm] srevilak: will post transcript
[9:59pm] jokeefe: I have the notes, srevilak
[9:59pm] igel: bye Kendra ...  ttyl j, s
[9:59pm] Kendra_ joined the chat room.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn passes
[10:00pm] Kendra_: Got booted off, but good nite all
[10:00pm] Kendra_ left the chat room. (Client Quit)
[10:00pm] jokeefe: good night all