October 28th, 2020 IRC Meeting
- 1 Review
- 2 Decisions/Endorsements
- 3 Projects
- 4 Tabled Projects
- 5 Upcoming Events
- 6 Participants
- 7 Summary
- 8 Minutes
Set hours for the conference.
Goals for Q3 2020:
- Organize meetups
- Revise platform
- Organize Fundraiser
- Organize candidate trainings
Election night recording - Looking for participants
- Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed
Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)
Next one set for for 10/31, 11am-1pm
- Emailing list about schedule
- Asking members for topics
- Setting up sign up sheet
- Updating conference page
- Posting on blog
- Dividing up the platform
Surveillance Mapping Event
- Come up with a how to instructions
- Paper - done
- iPhone - done
- Come up with how to videos
- Boston (jokeefe) - Sept 12th - done
- Worcester (Malt) - Oct 17th - done
Nov. Anarchist Book Fair
Dec. 4th Day Against DRM
2021 Boston Pride Festival
- table booked
- setup signup sheet
- Need to purchase insurance
- Need volunteer sign up form
- Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?
- Free the Moderna Vaccine
- Planning meeting upcoming. Contact jokeefe for details if you want to attend.
- Planning new event
- Yes on 1
- Post on our support for it
- Who could reach out to campaign to ask how we can help?
- Yes on 2
- Post reminder of our support for it
- jokeefe reached out to campaign on helping. Will followup.
- Yard signs available.
- EARN IT Act
- PATRIOT Act renewal
- Legislature extended session
- Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
- Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill
Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion
Other To Do
- Application to PPI
- Post statement on Archive.org Suit
- Post statement on our support for Question 1: open access to vehicle telematics systems.
- Post statement on our opposition to S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act.
- Post statement on retaining section 230 protections. Docket RM-11862. Per TechDirt, 9/17 is the last date for submissions for the 2nd round. - done
Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:
- how to do basic labels in GIMP,
- work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
- similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group
Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.
- Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
- 10/31, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line
- 11/14-15, Party Conference
- Olivia_: Olivia Kristiann, PPI volunteer
- jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
- Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
- Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
- Set schedule for noon-4:30pm both days. Join Pirate Beer after on Saturday. Saturday may end at 3:30pm
- Sessions will be an hour long with a 5 min break at the end. 30 min break at 2pm.
- Testing the Big Blue Button service on Saturday.
- Pages are up. Members were notified.
National party will have an election night live stream for those who want
Video Newsletter/Podcast: meet at 7pm, with recording start time at 7:30pm
Going to hold off on all outdoor events while the pandemic surges
Apparently our logo appeared in a Yes on 2 ad on Hulu. Be sure to tell people to support Questions 1 & 2.
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Let’s start then [9:06pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_28th,_2020_IRC_Meeting [9:06pm] jokeefe: ids [9:06pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda? [9:06pm] Olivia_: Olivia Kristiann, PPI volunteer [9:06pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville [9:06pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell [9:07pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements [9:07pm] jokeefe: Party Conference [9:07pm] Olivia_: election night [9:07pm] jokeefe: I signed us up for meet.coop. Waiting to get the login credentials [9:07pm] Malt joined the chat room. [9:07pm] jokeefe: ahoy Malt [9:07pm] jokeefe: we are just starting [9:07pm] Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester [9:07pm] Malt: Hi pals [9:08pm] Olivia_: Hello! [9:08pm] Olivia_: I don't know what meet.coop is. [9:08pm] jokeefe: we need to set the hours for the conference. [9:08pm] Joe: sup Malt [9:09pm] jokeefe: it is a big blue button hosting provider [9:09pm] Malt: I'm fine. I think 4 hours in the afternoon Is enough? [9:10pm] jokeefe: Also, Saturday at 3pm is the PPInt’s Pirate Beer [9:10pm] jokeefe: thought we could add that in as the end activity [9:10pm] Malt: Neat! [9:10pm] jokeefe: what about 11am-4pm? [9:10pm] Malt: Works for me [9:10pm] Olivia_: I can anytime. [9:11pm] Olivia_: If international appear that's a great start time too. [9:11pm] jokeefe: Joe? [9:12pm] Joe: I will do my best to accommodate any time. [9:12pm] jokeefe: do you think that is a good time range? [9:12pm] jokeefe: or is there a better one? [9:13pm] Olivia_: For the United States yes on all coasts. [9:13pm] jokeefe: could do noon-5pm, and encourage people to eat lunch before [9:13pm] Joe: if it's the weekend, yes. [9:14pm] Joe: regular breaks are important. [9:14pm] jokeefe: others ok with noon-5pm? [9:14pm] Malt: Noon to 5 sounds smart [9:14pm] jokeefe: agreed on the regular breaks. [9:15pm] jokeefe: Hour long sessions with 10 min break at the end? [9:16pm] Joe: 5 minutes on the hour with 1 larger break? [9:16pm] Joe: just enough time for smoking but not long enough to lose people's interest. [9:17pm] Malt: Ime 5 minute breaks default to 10 [9:17pm] jokeefe: how long? [9:17pm] Joe: or in my case fatness replenishing breaks. [9:18pm] Malt: Call it 5 but plan for 10 [9:18pm] jokeefe: how long for the 1 larger break? [9:18pm] Joe: 30 minutes [9:18pm] Malt: Yea [9:20pm] Joe: standard webinar breaks really. Done in a way that keeps people intellectually interested. [9:21pm] jokeefe: I think a larger break is good, but perhaps this schedule would work: [9:22pm] jokeefe: two sessions, 30 minute break, two sessions [9:23pm] jokeefe: noon-4:30? [9:23pm] Malt left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 258 seconds) [9:23pm] Malt joined the chat room. [9:24pm] jokeefe: each session would be 55 minutes, with a 5 minute break [9:24pm] Malt: Sounds fine here [9:26pm] jokeefe: therer probably needs some flexibility esp. on Saturday, because of the early end if we do the pirate beer session [9:27pm] jokeefe: Saturday could be an 11:30am start [9:27pm] Malt: Could we do that for the break? [9:27pm] Malt: The beer sesh [9:28pm] jokeefe: it starts at 3pm [9:29pm] jokeefe: though we could end at 3:30pm, then go to to pirate beer. [9:29pm] Joe: This year I would like to request a session to speak on the educational system. I have been working on bringing in some people who work for the system already. [9:29pm] jokeefe: or even 4:30 [9:29pm] jokeefe: It goes pretty late, eh Olivia_? [9:30pm] jokeefe: who are you thinking, Joe? [9:30pm] Malt: It seems like it'd be hard to get people focused again after that [9:30pm] Olivia_: The longest we had lasted for 16 hours! But it usually ends way into the night Pacific time for me around 9-10pm. [9:30pm] Joe: Is there any way we can keep them confidential due to the sensitivity of their position? [9:30pm] Malt: After that= pirate beer [9:31pm] jokeefe: Malt I was thnking we could just go noon-4:30pm each day and just do pirate beer at 4:30pm [9:31pm] jokeefe: Sure, Joe [9:31pm] Malt: I think that's best of both worlds [9:32pm] Olivia_: Do you want promotion for MassPirates will be attending Pirate Beer? [9:32pm] Olivia_: As secial guests after their Party Conference ends? [9:32pm] Olivia_: special* [9:33pm] jokeefe: maybe. let’s see closer to the event [9:33pm] jokeefe: let’s fill the schedule and if we can end early on Saturday, we can. sound good? [9:34pm] Olivia_: Pirate Beer is an open door anyone can come at any time. [9:34pm] Malt: Aye [9:35pm] Joe: I would be happy to kick off the Pirate Conference this year, but am happy to take any spot if need be. [9:36pm] jokeefe: we have two openings for two days, so let’s work it out, Joe [9:37pm] jokeefe: So noon-4:30pm, with some flexibility based on schedule. [9:37pm] Malt: Cool! [9:39pm] jokeefe: Projects [9:39pm] jokeefe: National Party [9:39pm] Joe: Is there a possibility for you to join us Malt at the national level? [9:40pm] jokeefe: There is an election night recording for those who want [9:40pm] jokeefe: starting at 8pm looking for people to be willing to take different slots [9:41pm] Malt: I'll think about it but I had to drop a tutoring student to balance my mental health [9:41pm] Olivia_: Bailey can be there from 8 - 9:30. [9:42pm] jokeefe: I quite understand [9:42pm] jokeefe: oh good [9:42pm] jokeefe: Olivia_ [9:42pm] Joe: I will be doing the streaming and moderating. So I guess I'll be on anyways. [9:42pm] Olivia_: She has to leave at 9:30 for work. [9:42pm] jokeefe: sounds good [9:43pm] Olivia_: And when I start promotions to international hopefully more can come but the international are already sleeping at that time. Maybe they can make it at breakfast. LOL [9:43pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter/Podcast - still focused on 7pm, with start time at 7:30pm [9:43pm] Joe: si [9:44pm] Olivia_: It's changed to 7? [9:44pm] jokeefe: recording time at 7:30pm [9:44pm] jokeefe: no, this is our Pirate News recording [9:44pm] Olivia_: OH sorry. [9:44pm] jokeefe: we meet at 7pm, and go live at 7:30pm [9:45pm] jokeefe: Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) - we have a meeting Saturday, 11am-1pm, to test out the meet.coop tool [9:45pm] jokeefe: probably will have another one a week later to stress it more [9:45pm] Malt: [9:46pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings/Events [9:46pm] jokeefe: Conference registration page is up along with the form for speakers [9:47pm] jokeefe: need FB event [9:47pm] jokeefe: conference page is updated [9:47pm] Joe: With the latest in outbreaks, I motion to table regional meetings until things get safer. [9:47pm] Joe: MA is climbing in numbers again. [9:47pm] jokeefe: In person sure [9:48pm] Joe: Ok, this is online? [9:48pm] Malt: I second [9:49pm] jokeefe: I am fine with not having indoor events. Virtual or small/masked/social distanced/outside are the only options in my opinion [9:50pm] Joe: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/10/28/massachusetts-connecticut-coronavirus-travel-advisory-list/ [9:50pm] jokeefe: does that work? [9:50pm] Joe: I would recommend against even small events at this point. [9:51pm] jokeefe: it is getting cold, so I am fine with that. [9:51pm] Joe: Due to the weather affecting those with copd and asthma, which read like a covid too plus the positives have climbed again too. [9:51pm] jokeefe: motion passes [9:53pm] Malt: Outside worked in part because covid hates heat [9:53pm] jokeefe: good point [9:53pm] jokeefe: Campaigns [9:54pm] jokeefe: haven’t heard anything more on the Free the Moderna Vaccine campaign [9:54pm] jokeefe: Latest poll: [9:54pm] jokeefe: Yes on 1 - 75% yes to 15% no [9:54pm] Malt: Our logo has been showing up in the hulu ads for yes on 2 [9:54pm] Malt: Wow! [9:55pm] jokeefe: Yes on 2 has a higher percentage than no, but not a majority [9:55pm] jokeefe: really? I haven’t seen those [9:56pm] Joe: yeah, Both are winning but a lot of people don't understand why RCV is so much better. [9:57pm] jokeefe: we are listed on https://www.yeson2rcv.com/endorsements/ [9:57pm] jokeefe: so talk it up [9:58pm] jokeefe: five days left [9:58pm] jokeefe: that is all I have updates for [9:58pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn? [9:58pm] Malt: Ok [9:58pm] Joe: motion to adjourn [9:58pm] Malt: 2nd [9:58pm] jokeefe: all in favor? [9:59pm] Joe: aye and gnight [9:59pm] jokeefe: good night all. see you Sunday