October 28th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search



Party Conference

Set hours for the conference.


Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Revise platform
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings

National Party

Election night recording - Looking for participants

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next one set for for 10/31, 11am-1pm

Regional Meetings/Events

Leader: jokeefe

Party Conference

  • Emailing list about schedule
  • Asking members for topics
  • Setting up sign up sheet
  • Updating conference page
  • Posting on blog
  • Dividing up the platform

Surveillance Mapping Event

  • Come up with a how to instructions
    • Paper - done
    • iPhone - done
    • Android
  • Come up with how to videos
  • Boston (jokeefe) - Sept 12th - done
  • Worcester (Malt) - Oct 17th - done

Nov. Anarchist Book Fair

Dec. 4th Day Against DRM

2021 Boston Pride Festival

  • table booked
  • setup signup sheet
  • Announce
  • Need to purchase insurance
  • Need volunteer sign up form
  • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?


  • Free the Moderna Vaccine
    • Planning meeting upcoming. Contact jokeefe for details if you want to attend.
    • Planning new event
  • Yes on 1
    • Post on our support for it
    • Who could reach out to campaign to ask how we can help?
  • Yes on 2
    • Post reminder of our support for it
    • jokeefe reached out to campaign on helping. Will followup.
    • Yard signs available.



  • EARN IT Act
  • PATRIOT Act renewal


  • Legislature extended session
  • Push to get Right to Repair bill to a vote.
  • Some of facial recognition moratorium is in the police reform bill

Computer donations

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Other To Do

  • Application to PPI
  • Post statement on Archive.org Suit
  • Post statement on our support for Question 1: open access to vehicle telematics systems.
  • Post statement on our opposition to S.4051 - Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act.
  • Post statement on retaining section 230 protections. Docket RM-11862. Per TechDirt, 9/17 is the last date for submissions for the 2nd round. - done

Tabled Projects

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
  • 10/31, 11am-1pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line
  • 11/14-15, Party Conference


  • Olivia_: Olivia Kristiann, PPI volunteer
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester


  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey



  • Set schedule for noon-4:30pm both days. Join Pirate Beer after on Saturday. Saturday may end at 3:30pm
  • Sessions will be an hour long with a 5 min break at the end. 30 min break at 2pm.
  • Testing the Big Blue Button service on Saturday.
  • Pages are up. Members were notified.

National party will have an election night live stream for those who want

Video Newsletter/Podcast: meet at 7pm, with recording start time at 7:30pm

Going to hold off on all outdoor events while the pandemic surges

Apparently our logo appeared in a Yes on 2 ad on Hulu. Be sure to tell people to support Questions 1 & 2.



[9:06pm] jokeefe: Let’s start then
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_28th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
[9:06pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Anything to add to the agenda?
[9:06pm] Olivia_: Olivia Kristiann, PPI volunteer
[9:06pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:06pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Party Conference
[9:07pm] Olivia_: election night
[9:07pm] jokeefe: I signed us up for meet.coop. Waiting to get the login credentials
[9:07pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ahoy Malt
[9:07pm] jokeefe: we are just starting
[9:07pm] Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
[9:07pm] Malt: Hi pals
[9:08pm] Olivia_: Hello!
[9:08pm] Olivia_: I don't know what meet.coop is.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: we need to set the hours for the conference.
[9:08pm] Joe: sup Malt
[9:09pm] jokeefe: it is a big blue button hosting provider
[9:09pm] Malt: I'm fine. I think 4 hours in the afternoon Is enough?
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Also, Saturday at 3pm is the PPInt’s Pirate Beer
[9:10pm] jokeefe: thought we could add that in as the end activity
[9:10pm] Malt: Neat!
[9:10pm] jokeefe: what about 11am-4pm?
[9:10pm] Malt: Works for me
[9:10pm] Olivia_: I can anytime.
[9:11pm] Olivia_: If international appear that's a great start time too.
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Joe?
[9:12pm] Joe: I will do my best to accommodate any time.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: do you think that is a good time range?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: or is there a better one?
[9:13pm] Olivia_: For the United States yes on all coasts.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: could do noon-5pm, and encourage people to eat lunch before
[9:13pm] Joe: if it's the weekend, yes.
[9:14pm] Joe: regular breaks are important.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: others ok with noon-5pm?
[9:14pm] Malt: Noon to 5 sounds smart
[9:14pm] jokeefe: agreed on the regular breaks.
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Hour long sessions with 10 min break at the end?
[9:16pm] Joe: 5 minutes on the hour with 1 larger break?
[9:16pm] Joe: just enough time for smoking but not long enough to lose people's interest.
[9:17pm] Malt: Ime 5 minute breaks default to 10
[9:17pm] jokeefe: how long?
[9:17pm] Joe: or in my case fatness replenishing breaks.
[9:18pm] Malt: Call it 5 but plan for 10
[9:18pm] jokeefe: how long for the 1 larger break?
[9:18pm] Joe: 30 minutes
[9:18pm] Malt: Yea
[9:20pm] Joe: standard webinar breaks really. Done in a way that keeps people intellectually interested.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: I think a larger break is good, but perhaps this schedule would work:
[9:22pm] jokeefe: two sessions, 30 minute break, two sessions
[9:23pm] jokeefe: noon-4:30?
[9:23pm] Malt left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
[9:23pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: each session would be 55 minutes, with a 5 minute break
[9:24pm] Malt: Sounds fine here
[9:26pm] jokeefe: therer probably needs some flexibility esp. on Saturday, because of the early end if we do the pirate beer session
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Saturday could be an 11:30am start
[9:27pm] Malt: Could we do that for the break?
[9:27pm] Malt: The beer sesh
[9:28pm] jokeefe: it starts at 3pm
[9:29pm] jokeefe: though we could end at 3:30pm, then go to to pirate beer.
[9:29pm] Joe: This year  I would like to request a session to speak on the educational system. I have been working on bringing in some people who work for the system already.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: or even 4:30
[9:29pm] jokeefe: It goes pretty late, eh Olivia_?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: who are you thinking, Joe?
[9:30pm] Malt: It seems like it'd be hard to get people focused again after that
[9:30pm] Olivia_: The longest we had lasted for 16 hours!  But it usually ends way into the night Pacific time for me around 9-10pm.
[9:30pm] Joe: Is there any way we can keep them confidential due to the sensitivity of their position?
[9:30pm] Malt: After that= pirate beer
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Malt I was thnking we could just go noon-4:30pm each day and just do pirate beer at 4:30pm
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Sure, Joe
[9:31pm] Malt: I think that's best of both worlds
[9:32pm] Olivia_: Do you want promotion for MassPirates will be attending Pirate Beer?
[9:32pm] Olivia_: As secial guests after their Party Conference ends?
[9:32pm] Olivia_: special*
[9:33pm] jokeefe: maybe. let’s see closer to the event
[9:33pm] jokeefe: let’s fill the schedule and if we can end early on Saturday, we can.  sound good?
[9:34pm] Olivia_: Pirate Beer is an open door anyone can come at any time.
[9:34pm] Malt: Aye
[9:35pm] Joe: I would be happy to kick off the Pirate Conference this year, but am happy to take any spot if need be.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: we have two openings for two days, so let’s work it out, Joe
[9:37pm] jokeefe: So noon-4:30pm, with some flexibility based on schedule.
[9:37pm] Malt: Cool!
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:39pm] jokeefe: National Party
[9:39pm] Joe: Is there a possibility for you to join us Malt at the national level?
[9:40pm] jokeefe: There is an election night recording for those who want
[9:40pm] jokeefe: starting at 8pm looking for people to be willing to take different slots
[9:41pm] Malt: I'll think about it but I had to drop a tutoring student to balance my mental health
[9:41pm] Olivia_: Bailey can be there from 8 - 9:30.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: I quite understand
[9:42pm] jokeefe: oh good
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Olivia_
[9:42pm] Joe: I will be doing the streaming and moderating. So I guess I'll be on anyways.
[9:42pm] Olivia_: She has to leave at 9:30 for work.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:43pm] Olivia_: And when I start promotions to international hopefully more can come but the international are already sleeping at that time.  Maybe they can make it at breakfast.  LOL
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter/Podcast - still focused on 7pm, with start time at 7:30pm
[9:43pm] Joe: si
[9:44pm] Olivia_: It's changed to 7?
[9:44pm] jokeefe: recording time at 7:30pm
[9:44pm] jokeefe: no, this is our Pirate News recording
[9:44pm] Olivia_: OH sorry.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: we meet at 7pm, and go live at 7:30pm
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) - we have a meeting Saturday, 11am-1pm, to test out the meet.coop tool
[9:45pm] jokeefe: probably will have another one a week later to stress it more
[9:45pm] Malt:
[9:46pm] jokeefe: Regional Meetings/Events
[9:46pm] jokeefe: Conference registration page is up along with the form for speakers
[9:47pm] jokeefe: need FB event
[9:47pm] jokeefe: conference page is updated
[9:47pm] Joe: With the latest in outbreaks, I motion to table regional meetings until things get safer.
[9:47pm] Joe: MA is climbing in numbers again.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: In person sure
[9:48pm] Joe: Ok, this is online?
[9:48pm] Malt: I second
[9:49pm] jokeefe: I am fine with not having indoor events. Virtual or small/masked/social distanced/outside are the only options in my opinion
[9:50pm] Joe: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/10/28/massachusetts-connecticut-coronavirus-travel-advisory-list/
[9:50pm] jokeefe: does that work?
[9:50pm] Joe: I would recommend against even small events at this point.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: it is getting cold, so I am fine with that.
[9:51pm] Joe: Due to the weather affecting those with copd and asthma, which read like a covid too plus the positives have climbed again too.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: motion passes
[9:53pm] Malt: Outside worked in part because covid hates heat
[9:53pm] jokeefe: good point
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Campaigns
[9:54pm] jokeefe: haven’t heard anything more on the Free the Moderna Vaccine campaign
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Latest poll:
[9:54pm] jokeefe: Yes on 1 - 75% yes to 15% no
[9:54pm] Malt: Our logo has been showing up in the hulu ads for yes on 2
[9:54pm] Malt: Wow!
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Yes on 2 has a higher percentage than no, but not a majority
[9:55pm] jokeefe: really? I haven’t seen those
[9:56pm] Joe: yeah, Both are winning but a lot of people don't understand why RCV is so much better.
[9:57pm] jokeefe: we are listed on https://www.yeson2rcv.com/endorsements/
[9:57pm] jokeefe: so talk it up
[9:58pm] jokeefe: five days left
[9:58pm] jokeefe: that is all I have updates for
[9:58pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn?
[9:58pm] Malt: Ok
[9:58pm] Joe: motion to adjourn
[9:58pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:58pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:59pm] Joe: aye and gnight
[9:59pm] jokeefe: good night all. see you Sunday