October 3rd, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Revision as of 21:05, 3 October 2018 by Jokeefe (talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigationJump to search


Party Conference

Conference Notes



Video Newsletter

  • Register to Vote


  • Donate Your Vote campaign (jokeefe)
  • S.2823 - A bill to modernize copyright law, and for other purposes - posted. jokeefe will create petition
  • Free Reality Winner - Approved. jokeefe will write a statement
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)
  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for. Bill did not get out of committee (jokeefe)

Computer Donations


Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • install a Matrix server (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)

Upcoming Events

  • 10/2, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 10/4, Wikileaks' 10th Birthday
  • 10/9, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 10/12, Submission due date for tables/workshop requests for Boston Anarchist Bookfair
  • 10/16, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 10/17, Last Day to Register to Vote
  • 10/23, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 10/30, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Industry Lab, 288 Norfolk St, Cambridge
  • 10/31, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • Oct, Boston-area Chapter Meeting
  • Oct, Democracy/IT meeting. Email info@masspirates.org for the location


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • hvxgr: Tom Rodman (Milwaukee)
  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)


  • ChanServ
  • trisk




[9:01pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/October_3rd,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:01pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] hvxgr: Tom Rodman (Milwaukee)
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:02pm] DesmondRavenstone: Desmond Ravenstone, Boston (Roslindale)
[9:02pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:03pm] DesmondRavenstone: To agenda?
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: What to do about the additional funds
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: $10
[9:03pm] jokeefe: ok, let’s discuss as part of the conference
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Ok!
[9:04pm] jokeefe: the state has a list
[9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: In terms of legislation, propose statement opposing HR 6729 ("anti-trafficking" bank snooping act)
[9:05pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:05pm] DesmondRavenstone: H.R. 6729, the “Empowering Financial Institutions to Fight Human Trafficking Act” would give law enforcement unprecedented powers to snoop on and seize people’s finances in the name of fighting trafficking. More info in this article: http://reason.com/blog/2018/09/24/house-to-vote-on-human-trafficking-bill
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Review
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Party Conference
[9:07pm] jokeefe: I posted the notes at the wiki
[9:07pm] jokeefe: https://masspirates.org/wiki/September_29th,_2018_Party_Conference
[9:07pm] jokeefe: Anything we should add to it?
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: I like it!
[9:08pm] DesmondRavenstone: Setting up issue-focused groups ("watches"); could start with "watch officer" as point person for interested individuals to contact
[9:08pm] Pirate_Joe: I called it Pirate issues.
[9:09pm] jokeefe: Agreed, on both points.  thinking about it, todo items would be good.
[9:09pm] Pirate_Joe: I expect that to be a living document that will change with time.
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: Always to be improved
[9:10pm] jokeefe: certainly the platform will change.
[9:10pm] Pirate_Joe: However, it is a good start
[9:10pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Will update
[9:11pm] DesmondRavenstone: Could we identify individuals to work on particular sections, then 1-2 "beta readers" polish the language as each 1st draft is put forward?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Good point.  Do you want to make edits?
[9:12pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye, happy to be a beta reader.
[9:13pm] jokeefe: cool. will get you wiki access.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: after a review, we can create other docs that we can expand on and leave the notes fixed.
[9:14pm] jokeefe: anything else to add?
[9:15pm] DesmondRavenstone: I came up with a humorous idea for a leaflet
[9:15pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:15pm] Pirate_Joe: A provision for personal liberties including privacy
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: Something we can mantra
[9:16pm] DesmondRavenstone: Picture of Seinfeld and Kramer: "I don't wanna be a pirate" … then underneath: "SURE, YOU DO" … tell people what the Pirate Party is about, how to change political designation online, then promise they don't have to wear a puffy shirt.
[9:17pm] Pirate_Joe: Puffy shirts are optional
[9:17pm] jokeefe: LOL
[9:18pm] Pirate_Joe: I figure that you do you
[9:19pm] DesmondRavenstone: BTW … went on Zazzle, got a shirt, also made a 3inch button and a few sheets of stickers. Swag is good for spreading the word!
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Agreed. I should have a button making party. Have a button maker.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: So, DesmondRavenstone, when should we expect the meme from you?
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Last day to register is in 14 days, IIRC
[9:21pm] DesmondRavenstone: I could put together some sort of leaflet in the next week and email you.
[9:22pm] DesmondRavenstone: Oh, got word from Boston elections office … I am officially Pirate designation
[9:22pm] jokeefe: cool x2. have you joined the activists list?
[9:22pm] DesmondRavenstone: Is that like an email list?
[9:22pm] jokeefe: https://masspirates.org/blog/join-us/talk-with-other-pirates/
[9:23pm] DesmondRavenstone: Just entered subscription to Activist list
[9:24pm] jokeefe: wonderful
[9:24pm] jokeefe: We ready to move on to Decisions/Endorsements?
[9:24pm] DesmondRavenstone: Yup
[9:24pm] jokeefe: H.R. 6729 “Empowering Financial Institutions to Fight Human Trafficking Act”
[9:25pm] jokeefe: Discussion?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: It passed the house, so we can try to stop it in the Senate.
[9:25pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye. From the Reason article: It's "a disguised effort to expand the #PatriotAct," tweeted Rep. Justin Amash (R–Mich.) on Saturday. "GOP leaders put 'Fight Human Trafficking' in the title to conceal the bill's true purpose: to give the government more power to unconstitutionally spy on law-abiding Americans without a warrant."
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: Also allows seizure of funds, and would like FOSTA/SESTA target sex workers.
[9:26pm] DesmondRavenstone: So yes, we need to oppose and encourage folks to write Warren & Markey to vote NO
[9:29pm] jokeefe: “Cops working specific cases or pursing specific suspects can already obtain their financial records by going through court channels and using the subpoena process. What they want here is access to wide swaths of (subsequently shareable) financial data on customers accused of no crimes and facing no charges. And they want this data to be served up proactively by bank staffers, who are supposed to somehow pick bad actors out from the rest of us based on their financial transactions, and by nonprofits, who would be empowered to share information gleaned through the provision of social services.”
[9:29pm] jokeefe: It certainly sounds like something we must oppose.
[9:29pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:30pm] Pirate_Joe: I second the motion
[9:30pm] DesmondRavenstone: Full sail!
[9:31pm] jokeefe: All in favor of opposing H.R. 6729 and telling our supporters to call their US Senator?
[9:31pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:31pm] DesmondRavenstone: AYE!
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Has anyone heard when this might go to a vote in the Senate?
[9:32pm] DesmondRavenstone: No details yet. With the Kavanaugh mess, that might slow things down. But the sooner we move on this to get folks contacting Warren & Markey, the better
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Latest Action: Senate - 09/27/2018 Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: https://congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/6729/actions
[9:33pm] Pirate_Joe: Who is on that board?
[9:33pm] jokeefe: https://www.banking.senate.gov/about/membership
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Warren is on it
[9:34pm] DesmondRavenstone: She voted for FOSTA/SESTA … all the more reason to intensify pressure on her to oppose this!
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe joined the chat room.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Would you call her office and see if she has a position on it? The money surveillance part might be an issue for her.
[9:35pm] Pirate_Joe: Lost it there for a sec
[9:35pm] jokeefe: you didn’t miss anything.
[9:35pm] DesmondRavenstone: I had met with her after a town hall, shared some facts about the damage caused by FOSTA/SESTA. Don't know if that had lasting impact, but certainly have people show her the damage this will cause.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: When is she next in town?
[9:36pm] DesmondRavenstone: My impression from that meeting is her staff filters stuff, and they are influenced by numbers. So the more people who email/write/call and say "please vote no" the more impact it will have
[9:37pm] DesmondRavenstone: https://www.warren.senate.gov/contact
[9:37pm] jokeefe: wondering if we have time to have a petition or have people show up to her office.
[9:38pm] DesmondRavenstone: Also, for Markey: https://www.markey.senate.gov/contact
[9:38pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:38pm] DesmondRavenstone: A flood of emails, especially on the same day, could definitely catch their attention
[9:39pm] jokeefe: but since she is on the committee her vote is more pressing
[9:39pm] DesmondRavenstone: Good point, so focus on her.
[9:40pm] DesmondRavenstone: Emails will be an effective way for people to mobilize. And I can spread word among folks in the sex worker community
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: We dont want to be to trash though, since we want to have her take us seriously. Meeting in person would be preferred
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: Rash, not trash
[9:41pm] Pirate_Joe: Damm fat fingers + autocorrect
[9:41pm] jokeefe: hmmm…
[9:41pm] DesmondRavenstone: That can be hard, trust me. And as I pointed out, her staff pays attention to numbers. A large number of emails in one short period can have real impact.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Next Thursday seem like too late/soon?
[9:42pm] Pirate_Joe: Well, we could do both
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Pick a date for the email.  When seems good?
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: I agree. If you have folks able to meet with her staff (that's going to be more likely than meeting in person) then have the email blitz 2 days before that meet.
[9:43pm] Pirate_Joe: Plus post to Twitter/wiki
[9:43pm] DesmondRavenstone: Yes, encourage folks to send her tweets
[9:44pm] jokeefe: I think calls are what they pay attention to the most after showing up in person.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: But if we want to coordinate a call/email/tweet-a-thon, then we just need a day
[9:44pm] Pirate_Joe: Perhaps we could schedule a pod cast with her so that we could have many people discuss current events.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: that would be good, but I don’t think she would go for it.
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: I typed that kind weird....
[9:45pm] DesmondRavenstone: Here's what I noticed in her town meets … She loves to talk about the issues important to HER to the point that if you pose a question, she'll steer the discussion to something she's campaigning about.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: but having a pod cast telling people about it would be good as well
[9:46pm] Pirate_Joe: Maybe not but she may go for a call.
[9:46pm] DesmondRavenstone: If her staff gets phone calls, emails and tweets from constituents all saying "this bill worries us" then they pull her aside and say "we gotta pay attention to this"
[9:47pm] jokeefe: Markey focuses more on privacy issues, though Warren did this recently: Warren and Cummings Release New GAO Report on Major Failures by Equifax in Massive Cyber Breach
[9:48pm] DesmondRavenstone: Set an appointment to meet with her or a senior staffer … blitz the office with calls, emails and tweets 2 days before that meet … then come in with copies of emails and tweets saying "see, your voters are concerned"
[9:49pm] jokeefe: In the house, it was 7 days from submission to committee markup
[9:49pm] jokeefe: https://congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/6729/all-actions
[9:50pm] jokeefe: We are at that.
[9:50pm] jokeefe: Anyone have the committee calendar?
[9:51pm] DesmondRavenstone: If it looks like time is short, why don't we post urgently for folks to contact her office ASAP, and share info with other groups they know
[9:51pm] Pirate_Joe: https://www.banking.senate.gov/
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Guessing it is the one tomorrow https://www.banking.senate.gov/hearings
[9:52pm] Pirate_Joe: Yup
[9:52pm] DesmondRavenstone: We can work to follow up on that later, but the sooner we have people contact Warren's office, the better!
[9:52pm] jokeefe: https://www.banking.senate.gov/hearings/combating-money-laundering-and-other-forms-of-illicit-finance-regulator-and-law-enforcement-perspectives-on-reform
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Agreed. When do you think we should have them call?
[9:53pm] DesmondRavenstone: RIGHT AWAY!
[9:53pm] Pirate_Joe: I have to second that
[9:54pm] Pirate_Joe: We should email blast them tomorrow
[9:54pm] DesmondRavenstone: I suggest we adjourn, work on posting an action alert to everyone connected MPP, including sharing the alert and contact info with other groups
[9:54pm] DesmondRavenstone: Happy to spread the word on my end.
[9:54pm] Pirate_Joe: Follow up in a couple days with a phone call to staff
[9:54pm] DesmondRavenstone: Aye
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Do we have anything written up for the email?
[9:55pm] DesmondRavenstone: Dear Senator Warren:
[9:55pm] Pirate_Joe: Can you create a pirate pad for it?
[9:56pm] Pirate_Joe: Please
[9:56pm] jokeefe: https://piratenpad.de/p/HR6729WarrenLetter
[9:56pm] jokeefe: Anyone can create one.
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: But its better when you do it!
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: I feel the same way about sandwiches
[9:57pm] jokeefe:
[9:57pm] jokeefe: I will send it out tomorrow morning and post it on the blog. Would appreciate it if someone took a stab at writing it tonight.
[9:57pm] DesmondRavenstone: I'm typing a draft on it now … James can take a look and polish as needed.
[9:58pm] jokeefe: Thanks
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: Thank you!
[9:58pm] jokeefe: As has been noted. We are almost at time.
[9:58pm] Pirate_Joe: Agreed
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: Call it?
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: I second the motion
[9:59pm] jokeefe: I am find with that
[9:59pm] jokeefe: s/find/fine/g
[9:59pm] jokeefe: Pirate_Joe, I will contact you about when to record the next pirate news
[10:00pm] hvxgr: Good night all. Enjoyed observing you all/inspiring.  We had an inpiring fight for fifteen action in MKE today, about 14 arrested in non violent civil disobedience. McDonalds shutdown, a busy street shutdown. Police were well behaved, no one hurt. Lot's of video.
[10:00pm] jokeefe: ok?
[10:00pm] DesmondRavenstone: Good to close. I'll finish the draft, and James can polish and release.
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: That's great, could a get a look at some of the videos hvxgr
[10:01pm] jokeefe: congratulations hvxgr
[10:01pm] Pirate_Joe: Anytimejokeefe
[10:01pm] jokeefe: thanks DesmondRavenstone
[10:02pm] Pirate_Joe: I motion to adjourn
[10:03pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[10:03pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[10:04pm] hvxgr: Pirate_Joe: I will try to follow up with some links.
[10:04pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:04pm] jokeefe: I’ll post notes
[10:04pm] Pirate_Joe: Can you email them to me?
[10:04pm] jokeefe: Have a good night!