September 6th, 2016 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  • Aaron James event
  • BPL cryptoparty
  • Somerville cryptoparty


Aaron James Campaign

  • Going door-to-door

Freedom Rally

Freedom Rally will be 9/17-18. We will have a table. Volunteer signup form. Emailed supporters. Need to call volunteers.

Discussion of Ballot Measures

Rock Against the TPP - Boston

Fight for the Future's Rock Against the TPP will be in Boston on October 7th. Suggest we endorse it.

PirateCon Recording Status

  • Audio
  • Video

November Run for local office conference

The objective is to teach people to run for local office. There will be sessions on:

  • running for representative town meeting
  • running for town-wide and city elections
  • what you can accomplish in local office.

Jokeefe is reaching out to a host in Worcester. First attempt failed, but trying a different contact.

Upcoming Events

  1. 9/17-18, Freedom Rally Table. Volunteer signup
  2. 9/28, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, 577 Somerville Ave., Somerville
  3. Democracy/IT meeting
  4. WMass Cryptoparty
  5. How to file a FOIA request by Maya Shaffer
  6. 11/12, 12:30-5pm, Running for local office conference, Democracy Center, Harvard Sq., Cambridge


  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI)
  • moses (Moses Sukin, West Tisbury MA)


  • davidd
  • igel
  • pagegaai
  • Velveeta_chef


Aaron James campaign event from Aug 30th. We have audio, but it's not up yet. Overall, the event seemed to go well.

BPL cryptoparty went well. They'd like us to come back again. We may also get the opportunity to do cryptoparties at other BPL branches.

Aaron James campaign door-to-door.

If you can table with us at Freedom rally, please sign up. Friday night setup should be covered, but we'll need help on Saturday and Sunday.

Ballot Measures. Steve will put together a web form with a poll.

Rock against the TPP. 4-0 vote in favor of supporting. Endorsement passes.


21:07 < jokeefe> agenda -,_2016_IRC_Meeting
21:07 < jokeefe> ids
21:07 < papegaai> Title: September 6th, 2016 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate
        Wiki (at
21:07 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:07 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:07 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI
21:08 < moses> Moses Sukin, West Tisbury MA
21:08 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:08 < jokeefe> Review
21:09 < jokeefe> Aaron James event
21:09 < jokeefe> See the audio is up
21:09 < srevilak> jokeefe: not from last week's event (there's audio
        from earlier events)
21:10 < jokeefe> ah ok.
21:11 < jokeefe> From what I saw it seemed to go well.  Other impressions?
21:11 < srevilak> Agreed, seemed to go well
21:15 < jokeefe> the BPL cryptoparty went well.  I’ll put the notes
        up at
        Emailed them out to the cryptoparty list
21:15 < jokeefe> They would like us to come back in the Fall
21:15 < Bluestreak> It is the fall!
21:15 < Bluestreak> October?
21:16 < Bluestreak> Same branch?
21:16 < Bluestreak> (of the BPL)
21:17 < jokeefe> Likely, though they said that they would suggest the
        idea of a cryptoparty to other libraries.
21:18 < Bluestreak> Who is the contact person, you, jokeefe?
21:18 < jokeefe> yes
21:18 < jokeefe> Haven’t heard how the Parts & Crafts cryptoparty went.
        did you get a chance to go, srevilak?
21:19 < srevilak> No, wasn't able to make it.
21:20 < jokeefe> thanks
21:20 < jokeefe> Projects - Aaron James campaign is going door-to-door
21:21 < jokeefe> Freedom Rally - If you plan to help, please sign up
21:21 < papegaai> Title: Table with us at the Freedom Rally | Mass
        Pirates Crew (at
21:22 < jokeefe> I will get an email out by Thu. morning
21:22 < jokeefe> Looks like setup is covered
21:23 < Bluestreak> Jason isn
21:23 < Bluestreak> nt logged on IRC, but I can tell you he is recruiting
        FR coverage
21:24 < jokeefe> thanks
21:25 < jokeefe> Discussion of Ballot Measures
21:26 < jokeefe> See:
21:26 < papegaai> Title: PiratePad: r7PEC7Winx (at
21:27 < Bluestreak> Personally I am strongly against charter schools,
        strongly for legal weed, and have no pref on other two
21:29 < jokeefe> My suggestion is to setup a poll so people beyond IRC
        can give their input
21:29 < jokeefe> Though Question 4 agrees with our stated position in
        favor of legalization
21:29 < jokeefe> Other opinions?
21:30 < srevilak> I think a poll makes sense
21:30 < Bluestreak> Agreed
21:31 < srevilak> I can put a web form together tomorrow night
21:32 < Kendra> You might look at some of the tax revenue benefits to
        some states and drop in Medicare claims
21:33 < Kendra> Fewer arrests etc
21:33 < jokeefe> Should we use the statements in the MA voting guide?
21:35 < Kendra> It could be a part of a list of issues or campaigns and
        causes the Pirates support
21:36 < jokeefe> not sure what you mean
21:37 < Kendra> Maybe I don't either,  I was answering about the voter's
        guide which might include many issues
21:39 < Kendra> Also I'm not there so I'lll pipe down
21:39 < jokeefe> Well the secretary of state’s voter guide isn’t up,
        so it is rather moot to include it ;-)
21:39 < Bluestreak> It’s OK to have an opinion from out of state on
        the matter IMO
21:40 < Bluestreak> There certainly is a lot of out of state money coming
        on all matters
21:40 < Bluestreak> So out-of-state opinions matter too
21:41 < Bluestreak> Enough states legalize weed, we could end prohibition
        all together.
21:41 < Kendra> I just see less problems here with the medical marijuana
        legalized and less street crime
21:42 < Kendra> There is no limit on dispesaries though, yet
21:42 < jokeefe> Guess we could just summarize what the measures say
21:43 < jokeefe> anyone up for summarizing any of the questions?
21:46 < jokeefe> Well if you want to, email me, srevilak or the list
21:46 < jokeefe> Rock Against the TPP - Boston
21:46 < jokeefe> Evan contacted me about helping out
21:47 < jokeefe> We oppose the TPP. Suggest we support it
21:47 < jokeefe> Any discussion?
21:47 < Bluestreak> I hope to promote it
21:47 < Bluestreak> Cross-promotion a possibility?
21:47 < srevilak> Agree to supporting
21:48 < Bluestreak> Who will approach Evan?
21:48 < Bluestreak> About cross promotion?
21:49 < jokeefe> Evan emailed me.  I have followed up.
21:49 < Bluestreak> Great!
21:50 < jokeefe> Will say it is 2nded.  All in favor of supporting?
21:51 < Bluestreak> aye
21:51 < srevilak> aye
21:52 < jokeefe> aye
21:53 < jokeefe> any opposed?
21:54 < jokeefe> hi moses_, connection issues?
21:54 < moses_> mhm
21:54 < moses_> sorry about that
21:55 < jokeefe> it happens
21:55 < Kendra> aya to the tpp thing
21:56 < jokeefe> what did you miss moses_ ?
21:56 < jokeefe> or last read?
21:57 < moses_> I can't qutie recall
21:57 < moses_> let's just say ten mintues back
21:58 < jokeefe> We are voting to endorse the Rock Against the TPP -
        Boston event
21:58 < srevilak>
21:58 < papegaai> Title: Rock Against the TPP! (at
21:58 < jokeefe> not hearing any against, endorsement passes
21:59 < jokeefe> On the Worcester November Run for local office
        conference, I reached out a second time.
22:00 < jokeefe> Will start calling.
22:00 < srevilak> thx
22:00 < jokeefe> We are at time
22:00 < srevilak> motion to adjourn
22:00 < Bluestreak> 2nd
22:00 < jokeefe> 2nd on motion to adjourn
22:00 < Kendra> 2nd
22:00 < Bluestreak> Night folks!
22:01 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:01 < moses> ugh timing
22:01 < jokeefe> thanks
22:01 < moses> night all
22:01 < Kendra> nite
22:01 < jokeefe> all in favor?
22:01 < moses> aye
22:01 < Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)
22:01 < jokeefe: aye
22:02 < jokeefe: motion passes
22:02 < jokeefe: night all.