April 10th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Email newsletter

Topics for next newsletter:

  • Signup for Boston Pride Parade
  • Pirate News Videos
  • Call for teachers for MOS cryptoparty
  • Yearly Conference survey

8th Anniversary Dinner/Party?

Projects

Video Newsletter

Yearly Conference

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Computer Donations

https://piratenpad.de/p/MassPiratesComputerDonations

Statements In Process

  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Tech/Outreach

  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

Participants

  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Malt: Samuel Capradae, Worcester
  • hvxgr_: ahoy ( Tom Rodman / Milwaukee )
  • Dmitri
  • igel: william fleurant arlington

Observers

  • ChanServ

Summary

Minutes

 


[9:01pm] jokeefe: agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_10th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:01pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:01pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:01pm] Malt: Samuel Capradae, Worcester
[9:02pm] jokeefe: anything to add?
[9:02pm] Malt: working on the solidarity statements for patient limits and trans rights now
[9:03pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:03pm] jokeefe: I find it helps to send them to the mailing list for others to comment on and help improve
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Email newsletter went out
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Working on the next one
[9:04pm] Malt: will do
[9:04pm] Malt: nice@
[9:05pm] jokeefe: any topics to add?
[9:05pm] Malt: giddy cackling about trump's lawyer getting busted?
[9:05pm] Malt: cuz EEEHEHEHEHEHEHEH
[9:05pm] Malt: but no
[9:06pm] jokeefe: interesting times
[9:06pm] jokeefe: I was reviewing the calendar and noticed that our 8th Anniversary is coming up.
[9:06pm] Malt: oh fun!
[9:07pm] hvxgr_: ahoy ( Tom Rodman / Milwaukee )
[9:07pm] jokeefe: ahoy
[9:08pm] Malt: hi
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Would be good to have a dinner party to celebrate it. Possibly a fundraiser. Can post a poll about the date/location.  Was thinking of the weekend after May 9th.
[9:09pm] Malt: may 11 worcester city gov't invited me to do a pun event at city hall
[9:09pm] Malt: might be fun to do something appropriately pirate themed
[9:09pm] Malt: rum tasting party? 
[9:10pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:11pm] Dmitri joined the chat room.
[9:12pm] jokeefe: ahoy Dmitri
[9:12pm] Dmitri: hi there!
[9:12pm] Malt: welcome buddy
[9:12pm] hvxgr_: hi
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Updated the minutes so far at https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_10th,_2018_IRC_Meeting#Minutes
[9:13pm] Dmitri: nice job btw, re the minutes
[9:14pm] jokeefe: Was discussing that our 8th anniversary is coming up on 5/9 and it would be good to have a party and possibly a fundraiser.
[9:14pm] Dmitri: oh wow, 8th huh. yeah, that sounds great
[9:14pm] Malt: paper boats?
[9:14pm] igel joined the chat room.
[9:14pm] Dmitri: (random side-question -- the mailing list mentioned in the minutes, is it info@masspirates.org ?)
[9:14pm] Dmitri: or some other one?
[9:14pm] Dmitri: hi igel!
[9:15pm] jokeefe: activists@masspirates.org
[9:15pm] Malt: like, print out little MAPP boats and sell them for $1 to kids at a park
[9:15pm] igel: \o
[9:15pm] jokeefe: https://masspirates.org/blog/join-us/talk-with-other-pirates/
[9:15pm] igel: william fleurant arlington
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter - announced them in the latest email. Joe and I were planning to discuss it tomorrow night
[9:16pm] jokeefe: for the next one
[9:16pm] Dmitri: ahaa, brilliant
[9:17pm] Malt: nice
[9:18pm] Malt: for one of the videos, I'd like to review the different positions in state and city gov't that people can run for
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Here is a temporary invite: https://discord.gg/Fphkxu
[9:18pm] Malt: stuff like tree warden, city commissions, sherrif
[9:19pm] Malt: ohhhhh riht
[9:20pm] jokeefe: That sounds like a good one
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Might find some listings at https://masspirates.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/YourCommunityNeedsYou.pdf
[9:22pm] Malt: this is a hella useful PDF
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Glad you like it
[9:22pm] jokeefe: The Pirate News videos are up at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx2c_9B8YzXnOIN1tieiRgqc2rx2JmjLb
[9:23pm] jokeefe: good place to discuss the list of offices would be the activists list
[9:24pm] jokeefe: The editor of our other videos agreed to work on the past pirate conference videos we haven’t put up. I will mail them out to him this week.
[9:25pm] igel: riot is mostly dev/code talk, but its not discord heh
[9:25pm] Malt: nice
[9:26pm] jokeefe: true, igel. I believe I can get to that next week
[9:26pm] jokeefe: If anyone wants to help with the videos, we could use the help
[9:26pm] igel: there are many pirate channels, just a heads up..
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Have the client up, but was going to work on a server next
[9:27pm] Malt: what kinda help?
[9:28pm] jokeefe: coming up with ideas and talking
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Joe and I try to keep it to under 15 minutes.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: But that is flexible.
[9:29pm] Malt: the registration on my car's expired so i'm leery about driving too much
[9:30pm] jokeefe: we record it via google hangouts, so no need to be there
[9:30pm] Malt: ohhhhhhhhhh
[9:30pm] Malt: what time were y'all planning for tomorrow?
[9:31pm] jokeefe: not sure. probably not recording tomorrow night though. just discussing it on discord
[9:32pm] Dmitri: sorry for the dumb question, is there a link to tomorrow's event?
[9:32pm] Malt: ohh ok
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Dmitri, no, we just show up at the discord room https://discord.gg/Fphkxu
[9:34pm] Dmitri: aha np. what time?
[9:35pm] jokeefe: not sure. 9pm maybe
[9:35pm] Dmitri: k
[9:35pm] jokeefe: Joe is sick so it might not happen.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: feel free to email info@masspirates.org whether it will be happening tomorrow and I will make sure to get back to you
[9:37pm] jokeefe: Yearly Conference - Survey will go out next week asking if we should have one conference or several around the state, rough months it should be held in and who would be willing to help organize it
[9:42pm] jokeefe: that is all I have
[9:42pm] Malt: i'll send the statements via e-mail shortly
[9:42pm] jokeefe: thank you
[9:43pm] Dmitri: thanks so much!
[9:44pm] jokeefe: anything to add?
[9:45pm] Malt: i'm good
[9:46pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn, then?
[9:46pm] Malt: aye
[9:46pm] jokeefe: any opposed?
[9:47pm] hvxgr_: no
[9:48pm] igel: no
[9:48pm] jokeefe: have a good night
[9:48pm] hvxgr_: Good night all.
[9:48pm] igel: yaar