April 15th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Joining Pirate Parties International

We need to agree to the PPI's Statutes before we can apply.

Projects

Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings/Events

All meetings on hold due to Covid-19.

Leader: jokeefe

  • Boston (jokeefe)
  • Worcester (Malt)
  • Lowell (Joe)
  • Boston Pride Festival (emailed them that we transferred our table to 2021)
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 6pm unless changed

Computer Donations

On hold

  • srevilak/jokeefe working on sign up form.
  • Joe Location still being worked on.

Bills

No clue where things are now due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Right to Repair

  • out of committee
  • next email will urge supporters to call their state senator/rep. and urge them to support it
  • see if people willing to setup meeting with reps.

Facial Recognition and other bills still in committee.

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next meeting will be 4/12, 2-4pm. It will be on-line. jokeefe will post an announcement.

Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Tabled Projects

National Party

Boston Sex Worker Petition

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 4/29, 7-9pm, Boston Cryptoparty, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • Summer 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNe Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/?, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Joe (Joseph Onoroski, Lowell)
  • Malt (Sam capradae Worcester)

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey

Summary

Discussion of PPI statutes and affiliation fees. If we were to apply, we'd be an Observer member. Favorable vote in favor of applying.

Favorable vote on statement opposing the EARN act. https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-act-violates-constitution

Minutes

 
21:01 <@jokeefe> Agenda:
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_15th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:01 <@jokeefe> ids
21:01 < Malt> Hi pals
21:01 < Joe> Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
21:01 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:01 <@jokeefe> anything to add?
21:01 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:01 < Malt> Sam capradae Worcester
21:03 < Joe> Not at this time, I am very distracted tbh
21:03 < Malt> Same
21:03 <@jokeefe> Decisions/Endorsements
21:04 <@jokeefe> Turns out we need to agree to the PPI's Statutes before
       we can apply.
21:04 < Malt> Focusing on local recovery stuff
21:04 <@jokeefe> They are at
       https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=Statutes
21:05 < Malt> Looks good here
21:05 < srevilak> would we be observer members?
21:06 < Malt> Yes
21:06 <@jokeefe> yes
21:06 < srevilak> How many other members does PPI currently have?
21:08 <@jokeefe> 20-30
21:08 <@jokeefe> https://pp-international.net/pirate-parties/
21:08 < srevilak> what's the affiliation fee?
21:09 < Malt> Wow
21:09 <@jokeefe> Probably 25-50 dollars
21:10 <@jokeefe> Based on
       https://wiki.pp-international.net/wiki/index.php?title=Affiliation_fees
21:12 < srevilak> I see.  Bsed on whether we're `emerging' or
       `established', 50 or 185
21:12 < srevilak> that's reasonable
21:13 < srevilak> I'm fine with the statutes and affiliation fee
21:13 < srevilak> oh no, they killed Malt!  Those bastards!
21:13 < Joe> VI. Multiple applicants from one sovereign state
21:13 < Joe> (1) If there are multiple applicants for Ordinary Membership
       status, they are encouraged to join together into a Federation or
       Confederation based on the common Pirate purpose. It is the responsibility
       of each Federation or Confederation to ensure that all its constituent
       Associations meet the requirements of these statutes.
21:13 <@jokeefe> lol
21:13 < Malt> Sorry pals
21:14 < Joe> If the USPP joins, would this apply?
21:14 < Joe> (2) If a Federation or Confederation cannot be agreed on,
       the voting power of this state is split between these Members. The
       splitting method is, in order of preference :
21:14 < Joe> a) consensus between all Ordinary Members of this sovereign
       state ;
21:14 < Joe> b) compromise between all Ordinary Members of this
       sovereign state, with the help of a Registered Moderator from the Court
       of Arbitration ;
21:14 < Joe> c) decision by the Court of Arbitraton within the limits
       contained in proposals given by Ordinary Members from the sovereign state.
21:15 <@jokeefe> no. there are German state parties that are observers
       even though the german pirate party is an ordinary member
21:15 < Malt> Huh!
21:16 < Joe> Not that we will have voting powers, so I guess it's a
       moot point.
21:16 <@jokeefe> yeah
21:17 <@jokeefe> so yes?
21:17 < Malt> Yes
21:17 < Joe> Aye
21:17 < srevilak> aye
21:18 <@jokeefe> aye
21:18 <@jokeefe> ok. will send them the application
21:18 <@jokeefe> Video Newsletter/Podcast
21:19 < Joe> One more point on the previous topic
21:19 <@jokeefe> Noticed that latest video only has Joe’s voice.
21:19 <@jokeefe> oh sure
21:19 < Malt> Whoops
21:20 < Malt> That's an issue
21:20 < Joe> Can you pay for this from our main account for the record. We
       have had a lot of in-kind payments, this will make things easier.
21:22 < Joe> On the video front, I am very sorry.
21:23 < Joe> I'll look in to it right away.
21:23 <@jokeefe> sure, or you can reimburse me
21:23 < Joe> Reimburse is easy though you having a debt card is easier.
21:23 <@jokeefe> no worry on the video.
21:24 <@jokeefe> still meeting at 7pm on Sunday?
21:24 < Joe> Motion for Jokeefe to have access to Pirate funds.
21:24 < Malt> Yes to both
21:25 < Joe> I should be good.
21:25 < srevilak> aye to both
21:25 <@jokeefe> aye
21:25 < Joe> You are on the account, so getting a debt card should be
       no problem.
21:26 <@jokeefe> ok
21:26 <@jokeefe> any opposed?
21:26 < Malt> Nyet
21:26 < srevilak> no
21:26 < Joe> Nay
21:27 <@jokeefe> I realized we hadn’t
       taken a position on the EARN IT Act:
       https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200305/13510544043/senators-hawley-feinstein-join-graham-blumenthal-announcing-bill-to-undermine-both-encryption-section-230.shtml
21:27 < Malt> It's Bad!
21:27 <@jokeefe> It got sidelined by the pandemic, but it will come back
21:28 <@jokeefe> I suggest we oppose it.
21:28 < Malt> Agreed!
21:29 < Joe> Strongly agree
21:30 <@jokeefe> srevilak?
21:31 < srevilak> from what I know of EARN, agree with opposition
21:32 <@jokeefe> any opposed to opposing it?
21:32 < Malt> None
21:33 <@jokeefe> ok, will put up a post
21:33 < Malt> :)
21:35 < Joe>
       https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/senate-bill/3398/text
21:35 <@jokeefe> If you haven’t joined
       https://www.loomio.org/massachusetts-pirate-party/, please do
21:35 <@jokeefe> thanks, Joe
21:36 < Joe> Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn't exist.
21:36 < Joe> You may have mistyped the address or the page may have moved.
21:36 < Malt> Same?
21:36 < Joe> has a .
21:36 <@jokeefe> https://www.loomio.org/massachusetts-pirate-party/
21:36 < Joe> delete last marklar
21:38 <@jokeefe> More on the EARN IT Act
       https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/03/earn-it-act-violates-constitution
21:38 <@jokeefe> That is all I have.
21:39 <@jokeefe> Adjourn early?
21:39 < Joe> 2nd
21:39 <@jokeefe> all in favor?
21:39 < srevilak> aye
21:39 < Joe> aye
21:39 <@jokeefe> aye
21:39 < srevilak> will post transcript