April 17th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. 5/6 Day Against DRM - endorse?
  2. 5/9 Fundraiser
    1. MC - Chance is all set
    2. Performers - Skip to pay the DJ?
    3. DJ - Mr. Precision confirmed
    4. Poster & handbills - Jamie will send details to KM
    5. Blog post - post by this weekend if not earlier
    6. Logistics - pad


  1. 2014 Campaign
    1. Noe doing well. Into the 120s valid at least.
    2. Joe is making progress. Need to schedule a time for folks from out of area to help.
  2. IWW Cryptoparty - April 21st
  3. General Assembly/Together Boston Cryptoparty (Sunday, May 18th)
    1. Have seven speakers, ACLU willing to sponsor
  4. Tech Issues
    1. mayfirst updated OpenSSL to deal with Heartbleed bug. Srevilak will update self-cert. Srevilak found inexpensive cert. js0000 offered to pay for it.
    2. Srevilak working on CiviCRM
      1. BitPay
    3. voter reg. app on hold for a month
  5. Support, Outreach & Finances
    1. Finance update
    2. Event checklist - we have source docs. need someone to put it together


  1. April 21st. 7-9pm. IWW cryptoparty. E5
  2. April 26th, noon, Jobs Not Jails: Rally to End Mass Incarceration and Fund Job Creation, Boston Common
  3. May 9th. MAPP Fundraiser, 7-11pm, Democracy Center
  4. May 9-10, Security Bsides Boston, Calling for papers
  5. May 17th Together Boston Festival
  6. May 18th Together Boston Cryptoparty, General Assembly, Boston
  7. May 24th Boston Security Conference - James speaking at it
  8. May 24th, March Against Monsanto, Boston
  9. September 2014 Conference - Need location & date before May 9th


  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • K`Tetch (Andrew Norton, Monticello, Ga. (USPP Vice chair))
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • igel (fleurant, arlington mass)
  • Joe (Joseph Guertin, Bellingham)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)


  • davidd
  • ageis
  • zby


Day Against DRM (May 6th). We endorse. srevilak to do blog post, and find DRM-free material to distribute during fundraiser.

Fundraiser (May 9th). Musical acts are a bit out of our budget, so we'll have Chance + DJ as entertainment.


  1. Jamie and Noe gathering signatures from 11-1pm on Sunday, Porter Square.
  2. Joe and Steve gathering signatures 11:00 - 2:00 on Sunday in Bellingham.

Steve and Noe handing out flyers in Harvard Square, Saturday 11:00 in front of Au Bon Pan.

IWW Cryptoparty - April 21st. 7-9pm E5. Jamie will mention in forthcoming email newsletter.

Together Boston/General Assembly Cryptoparty coming along.

PirateCon 2014

  1. Weekend early/mid. Sept.
  2. Likely price: $10 in advance, $20 at the door.
  3. Not sure where. Maybe Community Church of Boston though they were $375 last year.
  4. jokeefe will put up a registration page.

Meeting Minutes


[9:01pm] jokeefe: agenda - http://masspirates.org/wiki/April_17th,_2014_IRC_Meeting [9:01pm] jokeefe: ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville [9:02pm] Bluelustreak: jpokeef your point about the school being public property [9:02pm] Bluelustreak: OOps [9:02pm] Bluelustreak: Lucia Fiero [9:02pm] srevilak: Where I grew up, we'd have probably say "okay, we'll respect your fourth amendment rights, but then we might have to exercise our second amendment rights" [9:02pm] igel: william fleurant, arlington mass [9:02pm] Bluelustreak: ids [9:02pm] Bluelustreak: on track pls ppl [9:02pm] srevilak: Steve Revilak, Arlington [9:02pm] noe: K'Tetch: you're right [9:02pm] Joe: Joseph Guertin, Bellingham [9:02pm] noe: Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville [9:03pm] Bluelustreak: FYI I am ccoking sumpin for Sam atm... so will be in and out [9:03pm] K`Tetch_: Andrew Norton, Monticello, Ga. (USPP Vice chair) [9:03pm] Bluelustreak: How close is that to Alpharetta? [9:03pm] Bluelustreak: I have ppl there [9:04pm] Bluelustreak: and in Atlanta [9:04pm] jokeefe: 1. Decisions [9:04pm] jokeefe: 5/6 Day Against DRM - endorse? [9:04pm] Bluelustreak: 2nd [9:04pm] jokeefe: any opposition? - fundraiser is 5/9, could we give out DRM-free disks [9:04pm] Bluelustreak: great idea [9:05pm] Bluelustreak: DRM free zone [9:05pm] srevilak: I'm in support of endorsing + DRM-free disks [9:05pm] Bluelustreak: signs around the venue [9:05pm] Joe: I'm all for endorsing, I just may not be able to make it [9:05pm] Bluelustreak: You and Jason both. [9:05pm] jokeefe: disk of security software and other DRM-free software [9:05pm] Bluelustreak: oh the 6th or the 9th Joe? [9:05pm] noe: I'm in support for endorsing, I could make it [9:06pm] jokeefe: FSF said they would keep us informed of their events [9:06pm] jokeefe: so any objections? going ... [9:06pm] jokeefe: once [9:06pm] jokeefe: twice [9:07pm] jokeefe: thrice [9:07pm] jokeefe: seeing none motion passes [9:07pm] jokeefe: 5/9 Fundraiser [9:07pm] Joe: I can make the 9th [9:07pm] Bluelustreak: lol [9:08pm] Bluelustreak: OK cool [9:08pm] Joe: Might be able to make the 6th [9:08pm] jokeefe: dang [9:08pm] Bluelustreak: ? [9:08pm] srevilak: I'll do DRM blog post this weekend. See if I can find some stuff to distribute during fundraiser [9:08pm] jokeefe: thanks, srevilak [9:09pm] jokeefe: Performers - Both seem outside our price range unfortunately. So suggestion is to pay the volunteer fundraiser assuming they want it. [9:09pm] K`Tetch_: wasn't there some 'defective by design' events in that area in the past, via students for free culture? [9:09pm] jokeefe: think so [9:09pm] jokeefe: folks comfortable with just having a DJ? [9:09pm] jokeefe: and Chance and anyone else who volunteers? [9:09pm] noe: I'm okay with it [9:10pm] srevilak: Also okay with CHance + DJ [9:10pm] Bluelustreak: Um? [9:10pm] noe: Otherwise, I've got a guitar and I can play Kumbaya, but three hours of Kumbaya might be too much [9:10pm] Bluelustreak: Chance is committed [9:10pm] Bluelustreak: LOL [9:10pm] Bluelustreak: Chance is all about the PP [9:11pm] jokeefe: we love Chance [9:11pm] Bluelustreak: will perform for free. [9:11pm] srevilak: We also have Chris, who was interested in doing some standup [9:11pm] Bluelustreak: yes we do [9:11pm] Bluelustreak: I saw him Friday at PE [9:11pm] jokeefe: so no objections? [9:11pm] Bluelustreak: he doesn't know if he can get the time off [9:12pm] Bluelustreak: No objections to Chnace no [9:12pm] Bluelustreak: Chance [9:12pm] Bluelustreak: or DJ [9:12pm] jokeefe: going once [9:12pm] Bluelustreak: Band is too cher [9:13pm] jokeefe: twice [9:13pm] jokeefe: cher? [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: beaucoup bucks [9:13pm] jokeefe: lightbulb [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: tres ches: Very expensive [9:13pm] jokeefe: thrice [9:14pm] jokeefe: motion passes [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: Jason say it a lot cus he's from LA [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: yay [9:14pm] jokeefe: 2014 Campaign [9:14pm] jokeefe: Noe & Joe you two want to give status? [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: Did you get out at all today Joe? [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: Joe and I WERE going out together today but Sam had other plans for me [9:14pm] srevilak: Will try to spend an hour in harvard square this weekend, handing out flyers for fundraiser [9:14pm] Joe: Yeah I was out for 4 hours [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: AWESOME [9:15pm] Joe: I'm probably up to around 60+ signatures myself [9:15pm] noe: Dropped off 20 signatures on Tuesday, gathering more this week, Jamie and I will be gathering this Sunday 11am-1pm if people want to hang out [9:15pm] Bluelustreak: I will try again tomorrow [9:15pm] jokeefe: Should drop a bunch off at Democracy center [9:15pm] noe: In Porter Square [9:15pm] K`Tetch_: outside is over-rated, besides, we went out on Monday [9:15pm] Bluelustreak: Excellent. We nee to get them submitted [9:15pm] noe: Joe! That's awesome!!! [9:15pm] jokeefe: way to go Noe & Joe! [9:15pm] srevilak: Joe: are you free to gather on Sunday? Maybe 11-2pm? [9:15pm] jokeefe: Joe & Bluelustreak - do you have dates we can advertise? [9:15pm] Joe: I have 1 other volunteer who's helped me. I'll have to check in with him on how many hes gotten. [9:16pm] jokeefe: how many are validated? [9:16pm] Joe: I haven't submitted any yet, so none. [9:16pm] Bluelustreak: Tomorrow [9:16pm] noe: srevilak: when were you going to flyer harvard square? I have tutoring gig near there on Saturday [9:16pm] Bluelustreak: afternoon [9:16pm] Bluelustreak: At Bellingham PO? [9:16pm] Joe: srevilak I'll be available on Sunday [9:16pm] Joe: I'm working tomorrow [9:16pm] Bluelustreak: We are going to smoke out and ball game [9:16pm] Bluelustreak: not available Sunday [9:16pm] jokeefe: Please submit them soon so you know how many valid you have. That is the best indicator. [9:16pm] Joe: Sure I'll get on that jokeef [9:17pm] Joe: jokeefe* [9:17pm] K`Tetch_: if you're going to Harvard square, make a special automotive-themed one as well, you never know your luck [9:17pm] jokeefe: great [9:17pm] srevilak: noe: was thinking late morning Saturday. Around 11:00 @ harvard square. [9:17pm] Joe: I'm not sure how many people use Bellingham PO. We are a pretty small town [9:17pm] Bluelustreak: OK MB [9:17pm] Bluelustreak: or Barnes and Noble [9:17pm] Bluelustreak: or both [9:17pm] srevilak: Joe: I can meet you @ 11:00 in bellingham. Just let me know where [9:17pm] Bluelustreak: Barnes and Noble side of MB [9:17pm] Joe: Walmart could be a good option as well [9:18pm] Bluelustreak: Tomorrow srevilak? [9:18pm] Joe: srevilak we can meet as my house if you'd like. I live right down the street from 495 [9:18pm] K`Tetch_: Joe - get permission first, walmart has a nationwide 'no sociciting' policy [9:18pm] Bluelustreak: guess what? [9:18pm] K`Tetch_: soliciting [9:18pm] srevilak: Joe: email me your address, thx [9:18pm] Bluelustreak: Bellingham sez we can collect sigs where we want [9:18pm] noe: srevilak: I can meet you in Harvard Square @ 11 Saturday, near the abp? [9:18pm] Bluelustreak: Walmart has no say [9:19pm] Joe: Market Basket told me that they cannot legally stop me. So I assume Walmart is the same. [9:19pm] noe: MA is wonderful that way [9:19pm] srevilak: noe: what's abp? [9:19pm] K`Tetch_: its private property, so they can [9:19pm] noe: srevilak: au bon pain [9:19pm] K`Tetch_: there've been a case or two int he past and it's always gone walmart's way [9:19pm] Joe: My town does however have a door to door ordinance where you have to fill out paperwork at the police station [9:19pm] srevilak: noe: sure - see you at 11:00 Saturday, near ABP [9:20pm] jokeefe: If there are two or more separate stores in a mall, then they cannot stop you gathering signatures [9:20pm] Bluelustreak: Well K'Tetch we will be sure to let you know how it goes! [9:20pm] Bluelustreak: Oh [9:20pm] Bluelustreak: Oh! [9:20pm] K`Tetch_: I'm just giving cautionary advice [9:20pm] Bluelustreak: Walmart is detached [9:21pm] Bluelustreak: Walmart is deatched [9:21pm] Bluelustreak: In Bellingham anyway [9:21pm] srevilak: IMHO, until you're escorted off the property, you can stay there [9:21pm] K`Tetch_: right [9:22pm] K`Tetch_: or at least asked to leave [9:22pm] jokeefe: ++ srevilak [9:22pm] noe: K'Tetch_: thank you! Because, I think sometimes people don't know, and its better to go when you do know, or at least have some kind of expectation [9:22pm] Joe: As long as I do not "disrupt" or "harass" they can't do much about it [9:22pm] Joe: As far as I know at least [9:22pm] Bluelustreak: F*CK Walmart shoppers. Better response at Barnes and Noble I am sure [9:22pm] K`Tetch_: I mainly focused on Ga though, but my wife's uncle works for the Bentonville home office of walmart [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: Russian revolution set to Tetris, what Sam is watching now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8 [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: OL [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: LOL [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: That's lovely [9:23pm] jokeefe: So, signature gathering for both campaigns 11am-1pm Sunday? [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: No [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: Saturday [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: We are NOT working Sunday [9:23pm] Joe: I'll be out Sunday at that time with srevilak [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: have 2 things already [9:24pm] Bluelustreak: Smoke out Ball game [9:24pm] noe: Yup! [9:24pm] Bluelustreak: OK cool [9:24pm] Bluelustreak: I will be out tomorrow [9:24pm] jokeefe: Joe - Saturday 11am-1pm and Noe sunday 11am-1pm? [9:24pm] Bluelustreak: Unless Sam surprises me again, which she should know better than to do at this point [9:25pm] Bluelustreak: Joe can work Sunday [9:25pm] noe: jokeefe: Yes [9:25pm] Bluelustreak: Jason and I arent' [9:25pm] jokeefe: want to get an email out there, and telling people when helps [9:25pm] Joe: I'll probably be out Saturday and Sunday all day [9:25pm] Joe: more specifically would be the times people want to help [9:26pm] Bluelustreak: OK I can do the email [9:26pm] Bluelustreak: And a blog post [9:26pm] jokeefe: If you can do the blog post, send it to me I will get it in the email. [9:28pm] igel: hahah bsd rampage srevilak http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/lib/libssl/src/crypto/md32_common.h.diff?r1=1.11;r2=1.12 [9:28pm] Bluelustreak: Deal jpokeefe [9:28pm] jokeefe: great [9:29pm] jokeefe: srevilak - IWW Cryptoparty - April 21st - can we advertise? [9:29pm] igel: errr heh http://opensslrampage.org/ [9:29pm] srevilak: yes, just heard back from IWW contact. More advertising = good [9:29pm] igel: wrong url heh.. [9:30pm] jokeefe: great [9:30pm] jokeefe: will get that in the email as well. [9:30pm] srevilak: thx [9:30pm] srevilak: IWW cryptoparty is 7-9pm @ E5 [9:31pm] jokeefe: Thanks! [9:31pm] jokeefe: General Assembly/Together Boston Cryptoparty - May 18th. Have more teachers. Need to put together a schedule and get it up. [9:31pm] Bluelustreak: Garret sent me tech support question from a friend of his. I hope it's OK if I put in on the list because I have no idea how to answer her [9:31pm] jokeefe: sure [9:31pm] Bluelustreak: Together Boston event is looking really good [9:32pm] jokeefe: yes [9:32pm] srevilak: Asked them about preferences for topics, and haven't heard back. So, it may be "what are you guys interested in ... okay, we'll talk about that" [9:32pm] K`Tetch_: any chance of putting together a comprehensive guide to running a pirate crypto-party? [9:32pm] Bluelustreak: Will make a post for that, too. [9:32pm] jokeefe: would be a good idea, but I would think the Euro pirates would be better at it. [9:32pm] srevilak: K`Tetch_: http://www.cryptoparty.in/documentation/handbook does a pretty good job [9:32pm] jokeefe: thought there was one at cryptoparty.org - but I think it had issues

[9:33pm] Bluelustreak: ++ srevilak [9:34pm] jokeefe: thanks, srevilak [9:34pm] jokeefe: Tech Issues - mayfirst updated OpenSSL to deal with Heartbleed bug. Srevilak will update self-cert. Everyone change passwords. Srevilak found inexpensive cert. js0000 offered to pay for it. [9:35pm] jokeefe: anything I missed? [9:36pm] srevilak: srevilak already updated self-signed cert [9:37pm] srevilak: BTW: MFPL call on Heartbleed: https://mayfirst.org/peoplelinks [9:37pm] Bluelustreak: I changed my MPP blog PW [9:38pm] srevilak: I'll be one of the folks fielding questions on the call [9:38pm] jokeefe: you should post about that [9:38pm] srevilak: I can do that [9:39pm] jokeefe: thanks! [9:39pm] jokeefe: srevilak did you get a chance to work on CiviCRM or look at what K`Tetch sent out? [9:40pm] K`Tetch_: the PPUK NWP? [9:40pm] jokeefe: yes [9:40pm] srevilak: nope: a good chunk of my past week was heartbleed mitigation. (Now, there's Yahoo DMARC mitigation, sigh) [9:40pm] K`Tetch_: I know andy's been busy, lost 2-3 days of productivity this weeek [9:41pm] jokeefe: quite understand, srevilak. just wanted to check on it. [9:41pm] Bluelustreak: YAY STEVE! [9:41pm] Bluelustreak: Thank you so much for your dedication! [9:41pm] jokeefe: Support, Outreach & Finances [9:41pm] jokeefe: Finance update? [9:42pm] Bluelustreak: More specifically? [9:42pm] srevilak: no finance changes in the past week [9:42pm] Bluelustreak: lol [9:42pm] srevilak: We're getting together with lisa on 27th? [9:42pm] jokeefe: thought as much. [9:42pm] jokeefe: yes [9:42pm] jokeefe: and recording it [9:43pm] Bluelustreak: Thanks [9:43pm] jokeefe: Event checklist - I don't think there is any thing beyond the links Kendra sent out [9:44pm] Bluelustreak: I'm sorry? [9:44pm] jokeefe: it is one of our todos. having an event check list [9:45pm] jokeefe: BTW: srevilak, if we had PirateCon at the community church, how far in advance would we need to pay them? [9:45pm] jokeefe: could we lock in a date for it by 5/9? [9:46pm] jokeefe: think Sept. was when we wanted to do it. [9:46pm] srevilak: jokeefe: last year, I think we paid a month in advance [9:46pm] Bluelustreak: Early sept or late? [9:46pm] Bluelustreak: I prefer early [9:46pm] srevilak: I don't think they'd have a problem with an early reservation [9:46pm] jokeefe: early to mid before the college students are busy. [9:47pm] Bluelustreak: But after they have returned, right? [9:47pm] jokeefe: aye [9:47pm] Bluelustreak: OK [9:47pm] jokeefe: Does the community church seem like a good place to have it? [9:47pm] srevilak: jokeefe: I'd suggest waiting until after fundraiser, so we better know where we are with finances [9:48pm] jokeefe: agreed, but having people pre-register at the fundraiser would be good. [9:48pm] Bluelustreak: Prefer Comm Ch to Dem Center [9:48pm] noe: I think BU starts 9/2 and MIT 9/3 [9:48pm] Bluelustreak: Parking is harder but space works better [9:49pm] srevilak: jokeefe: isn't sept a long way off to start accepting preregistrations? [9:49pm] jokeefe: perhaps [9:49pm] Bluelustreak: I don;t think so [9:50pm] Bluelustreak: Catch em while you have em [9:50pm] Bluelustreak: Ooh discount [9:50pm] srevilak: according to records, community church was $375 [9:50pm] Bluelustreak: For early reg [9:51pm] noe: Its good to throw possible dates around at least. [9:52pm] noe: Even saying first or second weekend in September could be enough [9:53pm] jokeefe: ok with keeping it vague. [9:53pm] jokeefe: But the $375 price tag is a bunch [9:54pm] srevilak: jokeefe: can you set up Piryx registration page for Conference [9:54pm] Bluelustreak: Making omlets breaking eggs [9:54pm] jokeefe: sure, srevilak [9:54pm] srevilak: jokeefe: thx [9:54pm] jokeefe: what should the prices be? [9:54pm] srevilak: I paid CCB w/ an in-kind last year. I can in-kind part, but not whole things. OCPF limits and all [9:55pm] Bluelustreak: What were they last year? [9:55pm] jokeefe: agreed. would like to get away from in-kinds if we can. [9:55pm] Bluelustreak: *looking* [9:56pm] Bluelustreak: Hmpf http://www.piratecon.info/ (not us!) [9:56pm] igel: hmm [9:57pm] jokeefe: [9:57pm] srevilak: Bluelustreak: doesn't appear to be pirate party related, http://www.piratecon.info/ [9:57pm] Bluelustreak: I know! [9:57pm] Bluelustreak: Interesting [9:57pm] Bluelustreak: is all [9:57pm] noe: Erm, well, it happens in June. Something for a candidate to go to? [9:58pm] noe: And get drunk at? [9:58pm] Bluelustreak: So OK last year was $10 [9:58pm] Bluelustreak: 2nd get drunk [9:58pm] Bluelustreak: you buying, Noe? [9:59pm] Bluelustreak: 10 bucks for Pirate Con. raise it? [9:59pm] noe: Maybe? I feel like I should at least consider it if I'm in town [9:59pm] jokeefe: $10 in advance, $20 at the door? [9:59pm] Bluelustreak: ++ [9:59pm] Bluelustreak: yes [9:59pm] Bluelustreak: 15/30 better [9:59pm] Bluelustreak: Money is worth less every year! [10:00pm] srevilak: Interesting. http://crawlinboston.com/pirate/ [10:00pm] K`Tetch_: 21:48:38 «noe» I think BU starts 9/2 and MIT 9/3 <-- MIT has registration day on the 3rd and first day of classes on the 4th incompatible encoding [10:00pm] jokeefe: We were at 5 for our first one [10:00pm] Bluelustreak: We are at time. [10:00pm] jokeefe: 5 -> 10 ->15/30 seems a bit much [10:00pm] noe: K'Tetch_: thanks for the catch [10:00pm] Bluelustreak: OK capn [10:00pm] Bluelustreak: 10/20 then [10:01pm] Bluelustreak: executive desision [10:01pm] Bluelustreak: [10:01pm] K`Tetch_: moe - one of my protege's is now a grad student at mit [10:01pm] jokeefe: http://crawlinboston.com/pirate/ - sponge bob isn't a pirate, meh [10:02pm] srevilak: we're at time [10:02pm] noe: do we have any open motions? [10:03pm] igel: thanks for doing the certs srevilak [10:03pm] jokeefe: not that I know of. all were put in the agenda [10:03pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn? [10:03pm] srevilak: 2nd [10:03pm] jokeefe: all in favor [10:03pm] igel: aye [10:03pm] noe: aye [10:04pm] Bluelustreak: aye [10:04pm] jokeefe: aye [10:04pm] Bluelustreak: sweet dreams me hearties [10:04pm] jokeefe: thanks all! [10:04pm] noe: g'nite!