April 21st, 2021 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Rescind Ban on Outdoor Events

Support Free the Vaccine Protest

There will be a Free the Vaccine protest on Wed., April 28th, noon-3pm. Meet at Galaxy Park (next Kendall Sq) then walk to Moderna HQ. FB Event

Platform

General list at https://github.com/masspirates/planks

Projects

Outreach

Leader: Malt

  • Community Organizing Discussion, 4/24, 4-6pm
  • Date for next Pirate Moot?
  • Setup local video meetups by region with people who said they were interested in organizing a local chapter
  • Organize candidate trainings

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Pirate news recording scheduled for Sundays, 7pm with go-live at 7:30pm. Unless changed

Trans Advocacy Telethon

Boston Pride Festival

Leader: jokeefe

While in-person events, including outdoor events, are on hold until COVID-19 numbers go down, we should plan for our table at the Boston Pride Festival. Festival is on hold, likely for the year.

Tasks:

  • setup signup sheet
  • Announce
  • Need to purchase insurance
  • Need volunteer sign up form
  • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Other To Do

  • Application to PPI

Upcoming On-line Events

  • Every Tuesday, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, on-line
  • 4/24, 4-6pm, Pirate Moot, on-line
  • Sat., ?, Tech Meetup, on-line

Participants

  • malt: sam capradae, worcester
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • srevilak

Observers

  • davidd
  • Deffy
  • hvxgr
  • Mikaela
  • mikey
  • slerman

Summary

Decision/Endorsements.

Minutes

 


[9:05pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_21st,_2021_IRC_Meeting
[9:05pm] malt: hi pals
[9:05pm] jokeefe: hi
[9:05pm] malt: sam capradae, worcester
[9:05pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:05pm] malt: i've got news!
[9:05pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:05pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:07pm] malt: yes
[9:07pm] malt: update on the pirate dice fundraiser
[9:09pm] malt20 joined the chat room.
[9:09pm] malt: sorry, back now
[9:10pm] jokeefe: sounds good
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Rescind Ban on Outdoor Events
[9:10pm] jokeefe: >
[9:11pm] malt: i think it's time!
[9:11pm] malt: as long as we're masked if we're going to be in close proximity
[9:11pm] malt: and if we have hand cleaning stations any time we provide food
[9:11pm] jokeefe: agreed
[9:12pm] jokeefe: I wouldn’t suggest providing food for now
[9:12pm] malt: agreed
[9:13pm] jokeefe: Any other thoughts?
[9:14pm] malt: springspringspringspringspringspring hooraaaaayyy!!!!
[9:14pm] malt: we should get onboard with the City Nature Challenge
[9:14pm] jokeefe: not tomorrow
[9:14pm] malt: https://citynaturechallenge.org/
[9:14pm] malt: so basically we encourage people to go out and look at nature
[9:15pm] malt: we can make a video showing how to use iNaturalist
[9:15pm] jokeefe: I like taking pictures of nature
[9:15pm] malt: my wife is handling the worcester branch of it
[9:15pm] malt: i think it'd be an ideal pirate meetup
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Something different.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Sounds good. I could organize a day in Somerville
[9:18pm] malt: yeah!
[9:18pm] malt: i bet there's plenty of parks
[9:19pm] Joe: we should say something about the shooting in worchester
[9:19pm] malt: and i know for a fact boston has a specific branch
[9:19pm] malt: eh i'd rather not frankly
[9:19pm] malt: until more is known at least
[9:19pm] malt: i want to know motivation. was it a reaction to the chauvin verdict?
[9:20pm] malt: do you want me to get contact deets for the boston organizer?
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Are we ok with holding outdoor events, now, Joe/srevilak?
[9:20pm] malt: jokeefe
[9:20pm] Joe: I'm fine with it.
[9:20pm] Joe: so long as we are still maintaining social distancing
[9:20pm] jokeefe: yes, malt, please email them to me
[9:21pm] malt: will do
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Agreed Joe and mask
[9:21pm] jokeefe: s
[9:21pm] jokeefe: we aren’t all vaccinated yet
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Outdoor events are on then
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Masked and social distanced of course
[9:22pm] malt: i think it'd be cool if we held a storytelling event
[9:23pm] malt: for people to talk about their experiences over the past year
[9:23pm] jokeefe: There is another Free the Vaccine Protest on next Wednesday. Endorse it?
[9:24pm] malt: yes
[9:24pm] jokeefe: Were you thinking in person or virtually, malt?
[9:25pm] malt: in person
[9:26pm] Joe: I don't understand enough about them, I will defer
[9:27pm] malt: it's a demand to release the IP on the vaccines so the US doesn't own a monopoly
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Joe / srevilak - should we endorse the Free the Vaccine Protest ?
[9:27pm] malt: the polio vaccine was released, leading to the global eradication of polio (in effect)
[9:28pm] malt: there's a concern here that protecting IP will slow the vaccination rate to the point that COVID mutates to make the vaccine ineffective
[9:28pm] Joe: O, thank you for the explanation. I 100% support, esp in India
[9:28pm] jokeefe: thanks malt
[9:28pm] Joe: they just found 3 new versions in India
[9:28pm] malt: yup it's terrifying
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Ok. Will notify them then that we endorse it and will mail supporters
[9:28pm] malt: the hospital system is running out of oxygen
[9:29pm] jokeefe: scary situation
[9:30pm] jokeefe: I like the idea of the storytelling event
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Let’s think about when over email
[9:31pm] jokeefe: Platform
[9:31pm] malt: sure
[9:31pm] jokeefe: https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/MAPPEnvironmentPlatform
[9:35pm] jokeefe: <editing ensues>
[9:36pm] malt: Before everyone wanders off for the evening
[9:36pm] malt: I'm still in contact with the dice manufacturers in china
[9:36pm] malt: they've got tiny pirate ships they could put in jumbo D20s
[9:36pm] malt: how would we like to sell 500 pirate ship dice?
[9:37pm] malt: i'm thinking translucent plastic with a little opalescent shimmer dust, with silver ink in the numbers
[9:37pm] jokeefe: how much?
[9:38pm] jokeefe: While we continue to edit the platform, when do we want to have the next Pirate Moot after the one on Saturday?
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Also, pirate news on Sunday?
[9:39pm] malt: i don't have a price quote yet
[9:39pm] malt: sunday i'm out of town
[9:40pm] Joe: I should be good for this Sunday
[9:40pm] jokeefe: hope you have a good time, malt.
[9:40pm] jokeefe: ok, Joe, you me and hopefully srevilak.
[9:41pm] malt: thanks! saturday is the last commitment i'm keeping for that week
[9:41pm] malt: then i am going offffff liiiiiiiiine
[9:41pm] jokeefe: really sounds lovely
[9:42pm] jokeefe: 5/22 for the next Pirate Moot?
[9:42pm] malt: ok
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Joe / srevilak?
[9:44pm] Joe: I will try to make it, but I can't promise anything.
[9:44pm] malt: I should have photos of the plastic models soon, i just got a message from the manufacturer
[9:44pm] malt: asking for price estimate
[9:44pm] malt: i'll send them to the activism list?
[9:44pm] jokeefe: yes, please
[9:45pm] jokeefe: 5/22. Great.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: Also, I put the addiction plank on an ether pad - https://etherpad.pp-international.net/p/MAPPAddictionPlank
[9:46pm] malt: Hm! this is interesting
[9:53pm] Joe: I have nothing more to add. Motion to Adjourn?
[9:55pm] jokeefe: sounds good. let’s focus on the platform next week and finish them up.
[9:55pm] jokeefe: all in favor?
[9:55pm] Joe: aye
[9:56pm] malt: aye
[9:56pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:56pm] jokeefe: have a wonderful night.
[9:56pm] Joe: Good night gents
[9:56pm] Joe left the chat room. (Quit: Connection closed)
[9:56pm] jokeefe: srevilak, will post the transcript