April 23rd, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Decisions

PirateCon 2015

  1. Participants: https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSchedule
  2. Materials/Logistics: https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
  3. Outreach
    1. Poster / flyers - put up
    2. Web site update - schedule a few posts on it
    3. Email blast - schedule emails for next week
    4. Facebook Event - share
    5. Linked in - ?
    6. act-ma, others lists
    7. Craigslist
    8. Meetup - setup
    9. radio
    10. others?
  4. Media
    1. Press list
    2. Press releases - when?

CISA Petition

  1. Outreach

Event Planning

  1. May 2, Point to Point Camp Cryptoparty, Cambridge
  2. May 6, International Day against DRM Standout - where?
  3. May 17, noon-4pm, Together Boston Cryptoparty, Danger!Awesome, Cambridge
  4. May 29-31, Panel for Left Forum, NYC
  5. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade - need sign up form
  6. Summer, INEAS org cryptoparty?
  7. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally - need sign up form

New Materials

Defer to next meeting

  1. Restore the 4th Bills - Jamie hasn't posted blog post about them. Will this weekend.
    1. SD1546 Mandates Police Bodycams, protects data - Summary, Bill text
    2. HD430, Reining in Militarization in Massachusetts - Summary & Bill text

Upcoming Events

  1. Apr. 25, PirateCon 2015
  2. May 2, Point to Point Camp cryptoparty
  3. May 6, International Day against DRM
  4. May 10-17, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  5. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  6. Jun. event?
  7. Jul. event?
  8. Aug. event?
  9. Sep., Freedom Rally
  10. Oct. event?
  11. Nov. event?
  12. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • Bluestreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • igel (Will Fleurant, Arlington)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • js0000
  • noe
  • Techrev
  • Kendra

Observers

  • davidd
  • Pharyngeal
  • zby

Summary

We work out remaining Piratecon logistics. Mostly setup.

Day against DRM

We'll flyer with the FSF. Meet at Boston apple store, 6:15 pm.

Minutes

 
21:03 < srevilak> Ids - Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:04 < igel> Will Fleurant, Arlington
21:04 < srevilak>
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_23rd,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < Bluestreak> Lucia Fiero
21:05 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:05 < srevilak> First on the agenda, Pirate con
21:05 < srevilak> Anyone have updates, etc to offer?
21:06 < Bluestreak> �ahoy
21:06 < srevilak> hi js0000
21:06 < js0000> :-D
21:06 < srevilak>
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_23rd,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:06 < srevilak> we're talking about Piratecon.  I'd just asked if
        anyone had updates to offer
21:07 < Bluestreak> Oops
21:07 < js0000> the only thing from me is i'm wondering if there will be
        a whiteboard or something for the bssid and password for the cbc network
21:08 < davidd> ow bedtime again
21:08 < srevilak> js0000: I'm not sure about whiteboard.
21:08 < js0000> i guess i could write it on a poster if there is nothing
        like that
21:08 < jokeefe> night, davidd
21:08 < davidd> good luck guys with the con
21:08 < jokeefe> thanks!
21:08 < js0000> so i'll take that as mine
21:08 < js0000> poster
21:08 < js0000> with wireless connection info
21:08 < srevilak> Yes, we should have masking tape, paper, markers with us
21:08 < davidd> looking forward to seeing some talks on video
21:08 < srevilak> will also need front door signage
21:08 < srevilak> hi davidd
21:08 < js0000> maybe i'll bring some blank posterboard too
21:09 < srevilak> I got door code from CCB's office manager, so we should
        be able to get in the building
21:09 < Bluestreak> When should Laura be there?
21:09 < Bluestreak> (Daycare)
21:09 < srevilak> 10:00am would be nice
21:10 < srevilak> (evan is speaking at 10; he's one of the folks who
        asked for childcare)
21:10 < Bluestreak> K
21:10 < srevilak> Bluestreak: feel free to give laura my cell, in case
        she needs to call.
21:10 < srevilak> And Jamie's cell too, in case mine is off :)
21:10 < srevilak> hi Techrev
21:10 < Bluestreak> K
21:10 < srevilak> Looking over
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
21:10 < Bluestreak> I will do that Steve
21:11 < srevilak> Bluestreak: thx much
21:11 < srevilak> I think we're okay on Tech supplies
21:11 < srevilak> jokeefe: you'll be able to bring cash box & change?
21:12 < jokeefe> yes
21:12 < srevilak> great
21:12 < srevilak> We can do coffee run in am.
21:13 < igel> we all should yea
21:13 < srevilak> If there are misc things we need, there's a CVS just
        down the block
21:13 < srevilak> I'm planning to arrive at 9:00 for setup.
21:13 < srevilak> Anyone care to join me?
21:13 < jokeefe> ahoy, Techrev
21:13 < jokeefe> I will, srevilak
21:14 < igel> yea, ill help carrying stuff eh, small elev
21:14 < js0000> i will too srevilak
21:14 < srevilak> thanks all
21:14 < igel> just lmk..
21:14 < js0000> you don't have a cell do you srevilak?
21:14 < srevilak> Yes, I do
21:14 < js0000> o cool
21:15 < Bluestreak> And he will have it ON
21:15 < js0000> i thought you only had a land line ...
21:15 < Bluestreak> Won’t you Steve?
21:15 < js0000> maybe that was an earlier time
21:15 < srevilak> Bluestreak: 50/50 chance :)
21:15 < Bluestreak> lol
21:15 < Bluestreak> Jason expects to be there early to see Laura.
21:15 < js0000> how are you supposed to be tracked otherwise .. ?
21:15 < Bluestreak> I am sure he will make a good gopher.
21:16 < Bluestreak> I will be there for dinner after, if not sooner.
21:16 < srevilak> I'm adding a setup list to
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
21:17 < srevilak> list of setup tasks
21:17 < js0000> prolly as early as people can get there is good ...
21:17 < js0000> there's a lot of set up
21:17 < Bluestreak> AHOY
21:17 < jokeefe> ahoy noe!
21:17 < srevilak> js0000: yes, lot's to do :)
21:17 < srevilak> Hi noe
21:18 < srevilak> We're looking at
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
21:18 < noe> ahoy!
21:18 < noe> I just picked up a shotgun mic with stand as well as a
        vixia from SCATV for Saturday
21:18 < srevilak> noe: thx!
21:19 < noe> (this is the setup we used for the Somerville Public
        Library Cryptoparty)
21:19 < srevilak> oh, very good
21:19 < noe> I forgot to get the professional headphones, but can monitor
        using in-ears
21:19 < srevilak> Will you need hard drive space?
21:20 < srevilak> LMK if so, I can bring a portable drive
21:20 < noe> I'll be using an SD card, 32 GB should be more than enough
        for the day, I think.
21:20 < srevilak> ok
21:20 < js0000> noe: i have some noise cancelling headphones if it
        will help
21:20 < noe> js0000:  I think it will be okay
21:21 < noe> Its mostly just to make sure the camera is recording audio
21:22 < jokeefe> I have noise cancelling headphones if you want, noe
21:22 < jokeefe> nevermind, js0000 beat me to it
21:22 < noe> LOL
21:22 < js0000> hahaha
21:22 < noe> Feel free to bring them if you remember along with the
        other things you are both bringing
21:22  * js0000 noise cancelling headphones cancelled out jokeefe
21:23 < jokeefe> lol
21:23 < noe> speaking of, when are people setting up in the space?
        I intend to come early in the morning . . . but how early is too early?
21:23 < js0000> steve said 9AM and he has the key
21:24 < srevilak> There's a bunch to set up, but I think we'll have a
        good crowd
21:24 < Bluestreak> I am so glad you are going to be able to get there
        early!
21:24 < srevilak> See y'all at 9am :)
21:24 < noe> :D
21:24 < srevilak> anything else piratecon related?
21:24 < Techrev> Oh, hi, I'm in shut up and listen so I can learn
        important stuff mode >.<.
21:25 < Bluestreak> :-)
21:25 < jokeefe> Welcome, Techrev.
21:25 < srevilak> Techrev: will you be joining us at PirateCon?
21:26 < Techrev> Sadly, I don't think I can.  We were, actually, supposed
        to be in Florida right now - but that trip went so horribly that we're
        now curled up in bed, safely at home, with our tails between our legs.
21:26 < noe> ONOZ
21:26 < Techrev> I really want to badly, though :/.
21:27 < srevilak> sorry to hear :(
21:27 < srevilak> Any objections to moving on?
21:27 < jokeefe> sorry, your trip got screwed up Techrev.  Been there.
        It is a huge pain.
21:27 < jokeefe> srevilak, you gathering the signups?  I can do it if
        you want.
21:28 < srevilak> jokeefe: if you could assemble a list, that'd be great!
21:28 < jokeefe> will do
21:28 < srevilak> I think we'll need list of paid + list of not paid
21:29 < jokeefe> agreed
21:29 < srevilak> Okay, on to CISA petition
21:29 < srevilak> aka
        https://masspirates.org/crew/civicrm/petition/sign?sid=2&reset=1
21:30 < srevilak> Have 19 signers so far + draft of a cover letter to
        use when submitting
21:30 < jokeefe> and if you haven’t signed, please do tonight
21:30 < srevilak> jokeefe: when were you planning to turn signatures in
        (mind blanking)
21:31 < js0000> now 20
21:31 < noe> :D
21:31 < jokeefe> Yes, I can do that.  Either in the morning or after 1pm
21:31 < noe> shared on FB and G+ . . .
21:33 < srevilak> Slightly related: Sen Warren came out against Fast
        Track rather strongly.  http://elizabethwarren.com/blog/you-cant-read-this
21:33 < srevilak> encouraging to see
21:33 < srevilak> hi Kendra
21:33 < Kendra> hi
21:33 < jokeefe> hi Kendra
21:33 < Bluestreak> ahoy
21:33 < Kendra> hi everybody
21:33 < srevilak>
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_23rd,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:34 < srevilak> We just finished discussing Piratecon, and started
        on CISA
21:34 < js0000> hey kendra!
21:35 < noe> ahoy!
21:35 < jokeefe> Weird - https://www.markey.senate.gov/ is getting 403
21:35 < srevilak> Maybe that's a protest about TPP's intellectual property
        provisions :)
21:36 < srevilak> "You're not allowed to see this"
21:36 < Bluestreak> �Safari can’t identify
21:36 < js0000> well, how much money did you give him ...
21:36 < js0000> apparently NOT ENOUGH!
21:36 < js0000> :-P
21:37 < srevilak> Do we still want to do the TPP petition, or is it too
        late for that?
21:37 < jokeefe> http://www.senate.gov/ seems screwed up.  no css and
        the https got a cert failure as well
21:37 < jokeefe> I think calls are what is needed
21:38 < srevilak> Was thinking - something we can mention to folks @
        conference
21:39 < srevilak> Anything else to discuss on CISA petition?
21:40 < jokeefe> post-mortem later
21:40 < Kendra> Maybe we can write something about both bills and send
        it out together
21:42 < srevilak> We have
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2015/04/18/stop-fast-track-in-congress/
21:42 < srevilak> and
        https://masspirates.org/blog/2015/04/06/tell-senators-warren-markey-to-oppose-cisa/
21:43 < srevilak> Shall we move on to event planning?
21:44 < jokeefe> sounds good
21:44 < srevilak> ptp.camp
21:44 < srevilak> There's an organizing meeting thu 4/30 @ 3rd floor
        media lab
21:44 < srevilak> starts at 6p
21:45 < srevilak> http://ptp.camp is the event itself
21:45 < srevilak> We're going a crypto table, yes?
21:45 < noe> As far as I know I'll be at ptp.camp, but I'll check my
        schedule for the 4/30 meeting
21:45 < jokeefe> yes, srevilak
21:46 < srevilak> who'll be there on 5/2, aside from noe?
21:46 < jokeefe> I might be able to head over to the meeting after work
21:46 < jokeefe> I will
21:46 < Kendra> I signed up for p2p camp and will be spekaing out about
        police brutality and surveillance but would also like to demonstrate
        jitsi if we do the crypto party
21:46 < srevilak> Kendra: awesome!
21:47 < Bluestreak> That’s great!
21:48 < srevilak> anything else on ptp.camp?
21:49 < srevilak> i18n day against DRM
21:50 < srevilak> FSF has flyers; not sure where they're planning
        to leaflet
21:50 < srevilak> will follow up with them, *after* piratecon
21:50 < js0000> yeah, i have been waiting for something from fsf too,
        but there's nothing there
21:50 < js0000> so far
21:51 < srevilak> https://www.defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm
21:51 < Bluestreak> Buttons?
21:51 < jokeefe> should have sign up sheet at PirateCon for upcoming
        events
21:51 < Bluestreak> Jamie has the machine.
21:51 < Bluestreak> Any luck making buttons?
21:52 < jokeefe> Will work on them tomorrow.
21:52 < srevilak> flyer:
        https://static.fsf.org/nosvn/dbd/drm-flyer/drm-flyer.zip
21:52 < noe> we should have a pirate button making party
21:52 < noe> :)
21:52 < Bluestreak> Well I meant for DRM day, but some for PC would be
        cool too.
21:52 < Bluestreak> Yes.
21:52 < Bluestreak> I won’t be able to attend, but...
21:52 < jokeefe> tomorrow night, noe?
21:52 < jokeefe> you are the expert, Bluestreak
21:52 < jokeefe> and would be missed
21:52 < Bluestreak> Sigh
21:53 < Bluestreak> We will see how I feel.
21:53 < Bluestreak> I would love to see y'all.
21:53 < Bluestreak> You should have it in any event.
21:53 < Bluestreak> I can call in my advice.
21:53 < Bluestreak> Or Skype it in.
21:54 < jokeefe> sure!
21:54 < Bluestreak> There, settled. Your house jokeefe?
21:54 < jokeefe> easy for me
21:54 < Bluestreak> Pizza?
21:55 < jokeefe> will figure it out
21:56 < noe> yup!  let me know what time works
21:56 < js0000> btw, fsf will be at back bay apple store for drm day
21:56 < srevilak> js0000: do you know what time?
21:56 < js0000> meet at 18:15
21:57 < js0000>
        https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Defective_by_Design/Day_Against_DRM_2015
21:57 < js0000> further down the page, search for boston
21:57 < srevilak> does the apple store work for you guys?
21:57 < js0000> which guys?
21:58 < srevilak> the people here, on IRC :)
21:58 < js0000> apple store is at the pinacle of capitalism, but i
        digress ...
21:58 < jokeefe> Wed, 18:15, Back Bay Apple store works
21:58 < srevilak> In my native vernacular, "yous" (which is the plural of
        "you")
21:59 < srevilak> good by me
21:59 < Bluestreak> In brooklyn it is
21:59 < js0000> i hate fucking macs
21:59 < js0000> but i don't know if you were asking that
21:59 < srevilak> Oh poo :(
21:59 < srevilak> I'll be at town meeting that night
21:59 < Bluestreak> YAY!
21:59 < js0000> it's ok
21:59 < js0000> you're elected to do that
21:59 < js0000> it's good for all of us
21:59 < Bluestreak> Elected  Pirate official
22:00 < srevilak> We are now at time
22:00 < srevilak> Any last minutes points of note?
22:00 < jokeefe> Quick question: things all set with Falkvinge?
22:00 < js0000> see you sat ... ?
22:00 < srevilak> Techrev: glad you can join us
22:00 < srevilak> jokeefe: have not heard back from him
22:01 < Bluestreak> From RF?
22:01 < jokeefe> will send another email & message
22:01 < srevilak> jokeefe: thx
22:01 < srevilak> Bluestreak: yes, RF
22:02 < Bluestreak> Huh.
22:02 < Bluestreak> Too late in Sweden to ping him now.
22:02 < Bluestreak> I will ping him in the AM
22:02 < Bluestreak> Keep emailing him
22:02 < jokeefe> yes
22:03 < Bluestreak> Don’t be a farid to be a pest
22:03 < Bluestreak> He doesn’t mind, he loves our work.
22:03 < Bluestreak> YOUR work.
22:03 < srevilak> OUR work :)
22:04 < Bluestreak> Um… time...
22:04 < srevilak> If no objections, I'll motion to adjourn
22:04 < srevilak> second?
22:04 < Kendra> move to adjourn
22:04 < Kendra> 3rd
22:04 < Kendra> aye
22:04 < srevilak> all in favor
22:04 < srevilak> aye
22:04 < Kendra> nite all
22:04 < srevilak> See y'all on Saturday