April 24th, 2012 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


1. May 12th Film Fest Schedule

2. Upcoming Events

3. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

4. Anything else others want to bring up.

Quick Notes / Summaries Re Proposed Bills to be Discussed:

1. May 12th Film Fest

Link to page asking for suggestions: http://piratenpad.de/p/masspiratesfilmfest

2. Upcoming events

  • Get JP on the ballot
  • May 5th - Wake Up The Earth, JP
  • May 12th: Film Festival, see below
  • June: Boston Pride

3. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot? - Probably will be deferred


[Not the actual list, just posted the attendees from last meeting so there is less work to to]

  • bsod - http://activepolitic.com:82/
  • jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville
  • erixoltan - Erik Zoltan, Framingham
  • SplendidSpoon - Lauren Pespisa, Boxboro/Cambridge
  • JP, Lowell
  • Brady - Washington State
  • multiple observers including - septemberagain, passstab & illunati1


1. Film Fest

Schedule by Hour

  • 3pm Sneeze Me Away (14) / Steamboat Willie (8) / ... / Copying is not Theft & All Creative Work Is Derivative (3)
  • 4pm - The $8 billion iPod (5) / Steal This Film 2 (44) / Drew Curtis; How I beat a patent troll /
  • 5pm - Open Source Cancer Research TED Talks (13) / Patent Absurdity (30) / Innovation in Fashion Industry TED talk (15)
  • 6pm - 6:30pm - Rick Falkvinge I am a Pirate TED Talk (15) / Government Crowdsourcing TED Talk (12)
  • 6:30pm - 7:00pm - break time
  • 7:00pm - 7:30pm - Pioneer One Eps 1
  • 7:30pm - 8:00pm - Otherworlds shorts? (Kitty Kitty, The Third Letter, ITD, Candy)
  • 8pm - 9:30pm - Night of the Living Dead

2. Upcoming events

  • JP on track to get on the ballot - will keep asking people to help
  • May 5th - Wake Up The Earth - Lauren & Lucia can be there
  • June 9th - Boston Pride

3. National Party stuff

Candidates for Captain, 1st Officer & Quartermaster at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N1XcHG-qNeygxzgv1SqHG2GPLIlQdGK2rLqvMXIY7Xs/edit

They are hashing out who can vote.

4. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot?

Will post for questions.

Meeting Minutes


[12:02] == erixoltan [~erik@pool-71-174-228-218.bstnma.fios.verizon.net] has joined #masspirates [12:02] <erixoltan> Good afternoon everyone. [12:03] == SplendidSpoon [~lpespisa@] has joined #masspirates [12:03] <jokeefe> hi [12:03] <jokeefe> Agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=April_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:03] <jokeefe> Want to add anything to it? [12:03] <SplendidSpoon> Hey everyone [12:04] == JP [183f564d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has joined #masspirates [12:04] <SplendidSpoon> Lauren Pespisa - Boxboro/Cambridge [12:04] <erixoltan> Erik Zoltan, Framingham [12:04] <JP> JP, Lowell [12:05] <jokeefe> hi JP [12:05] <jokeefe> Agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=April_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:06] <jokeefe> erixoltan any national issues we should decide on? [12:06] <jokeefe> jokeefe - James O'Keefe, Somerville [12:08] <erixoltan> There is national news. [12:09] <erixoltan> The PNC has solicited nominations for temporary slots for some of the key positions in the USPP. [12:09] <erixoltan> There will be a meeting tonight to consider those nominations. [12:09] <jokeefe> ok, to add it after upcoming events? [12:10] <erixoltan> sure [12:11] <jokeefe> Item 1. May 12th Film Fest Schedule [12:11] == Brady [~Grizzly@static-50-34-13-58.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net] has joined #masspirates [12:12] <erixoltan> Any word on our featured speaker? [12:12] <jokeefe> I called Dr. Ball and haven't heard back. Hoping he is well, but he hasn't confirmed, so I think we need to plan accordingly [12:12] <jokeefe> I updated the schedule at http://piratenpad.de/p/masspiratesfilmfest [12:13] <erixoltan> Are we ready to get a flier in the works? [12:13] <jokeefe> Jeanne was working on it, but needed the schedule [12:13] <jokeefe> hi Brady, Agenda at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=April_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:14] <jokeefe> How does the schedule look? [12:14] <jokeefe> I just did some updates [12:14] <erixoltan> You know I like it. [12:16] <jokeefe> I wanted to put in Doctorow's 28C3 talk, but we are pretty heavy with talks [12:16] <jokeefe> We could use some more kids fare [12:17] <jokeefe> How does the post 6pm schedule look to folks? [12:18] <[bsod]> do we know Doctorow? [12:19] <jokeefe> No, but is 28C3 talk is really great and can be freely distributed. He is in the UK now. [12:19] <Brady> Those times don't seem to provide much room for breaks/bathroom/food? [12:19] <erixoltan> I'm also concerned that the scheduling is tight. [12:19] <[bsod]> i used to see him in telecomix irc alot [12:20] <erixoltan> Anyone else think we need popcorn? [12:20] <jokeefe> yes [12:20] <[bsod]> cispa is today isnt it [12:20] <jokeefe> I put in a 6:30 - 7pm break for folks to get dinner [12:22] <jokeefe> checking on CISPA [12:22] <jokeefe> I know they want it to be put to a vote this week [12:22] <[bsod]> cool, im talking to dutch pirates [12:24] <erixoltan> I think we should do the open source cancer research TED talk rather than the other open source science one. The cancer one is better and was filmed in Boston. [12:24] <jokeefe> from http://majorityleader.gov/ votes will be postponed to 6:30pm [12:24] <[bsod]> cool [12:24] <[bsod]> that give me time to flood people with stop cispa posts out of the telecomix twitter later [12:24] <jokeefe> makes sense, erix. feel free to change it [12:24] <erixoltan> changed [12:24] <jokeefe> cool [12:24] <SplendidSpoon> Yea people gottta jump on Cispa like with sopa [12:24] <SplendidSpoon> Mobilize internet defense forces! [12:25] <jokeefe> no web site blackouts [12:25] <[bsod]> http://activepolitic.com:82/News/2012-04-19e/CISPA_Protesters_Get_Fatigued.html [12:25] <erixoltan> CISPA is going to be harder because it won't hurt corporations, just individual citizens. [12:25] <SplendidSpoon> Right [12:25] <jokeefe> is half an hour enough of a break time? [12:25] <SplendidSpoon> The corporations aren't on board as much as they were before. [12:26] <jokeefe> I figure it is ala cart, so few people will come for the whole thing. [12:27] <jokeefe> are folks ok with the Otherworld shorts? [12:28] <jokeefe> or Pioneer 1 [12:28] <SplendidSpoon> Yup [12:30] <[bsod]> i dunno, pioneer 1 is cool and all, but just random eps from a seriese might leave people hanging [12:30] == septemberagain [813fd4dc@gateway/web/freenode/ip.] has joined #masspirates [12:31] <jokeefe> was thinking of ep1 and they can go download the rest at home [12:31] <SplendidSpoon> So it'll sort of be like a teaser, we can show where to download when we're done showing it [12:31] <jokeefe> hi septemberagain, welcome, please id with whatever info you want to give [12:31] <SplendidSpoon> ? [12:31] <erixoltan> I think the quality of Pioneer 1 is important. It's a good show and some people will be surprised that something that good is for free. [12:32] <jokeefe> yeah, I was thinking of putting the links on our site and we can point people there or have a brief handout of links [12:33] <jokeefe> so does the schedule work? [12:34] <erixoltan> sure [12:36] <jokeefe> septemberagain, the agenda and notes are at http://masspirates.org/wiki/index.php?title=April_24th,_2012_IRC_Meeting [12:37] <jokeefe> JP, any updates on the campaign and how we can help in your final week of signature gathering? [12:37] <jokeefe> do you have any signature days scheduled that we should notify people about? [12:37] <JP> the media and fundraisers are interested, but wait to wait until Im officially on the ballot. signatures are going well, and I will be heading out to collect more after this meeting [12:38] <jokeefe> how many more do you have to get? [12:38] <JP> Im collecting everyday until done, so whenever people want to stop by, feel free to email [12:38] <[bsod]> heh, hey JP [12:38] <JP> hey bsdo [12:38] <[bsod]> i emaild you about an interview and never mailed back about a place and time [12:38] <[bsod]> figured id see you in here [12:38] <JP> few more pages. Im pretty encouraged by this area, people seem to like being involved [12:38] <jokeefe> good [12:39] <JP> hunh, I wonder if my filter got it. yeah, grab me on fb. j.p. hollembaek [12:39] <jokeefe> will keep up with getting the word out. [12:40] <jokeefe> Lucia is organizing the Wake Up The Earth table on May 5th. SplendidSpoon, you can still make it yes? [12:44] <SplendidSpoon> Yes [12:44] <jokeefe> thanks [12:44] <SplendidSpoon> Sorry at work kind of distracted [12:45] <[bsod]> talking to laxsill again i see [12:45] <jokeefe> no problem [12:45] <[bsod]> i got too many irc chats to interact with today [12:46] <[bsod]> so, JP did you want to talk about your candidacy and maybe i can make a promotional piece or something ? [12:46] <jokeefe> So Boston Pride is in June, will put up events for them [12:46] <[bsod]> ive never been to one of those before [12:46] <[bsod]> sounds so gay [12:46] <jokeefe> erix, want to tell us what is going on at the national level? [12:47] <erixoltan> sure [12:47] <JP> sure., bsod [12:47] <erixoltan> First, the PNC hasn't been restricted to only the state representatives. A lot of people from other states, as well as multiple people from represented states, have been showing up and participating. [12:48] <erixoltan> At the last meeting it was decided that this is OK, so people from Mass can feel free to show up at the Wednesday PNC meetings (9pm) if anyone is interested. [12:48] <[bsod]> oh, is that allowed [12:48] <erixoltan> apparently yes. [12:48] <Brady> Well... [12:48] <[bsod]> k`tetch told me that was only for the big boys so i just went back to #ppi [12:49] <Brady> Our original proposal was somewhat loose. [12:49] <Brady> If this is going to be more effective, it may be for the best. [12:49] <[bsod]> no wait, i mean #uspp [12:49] <erixoltan> https://webchat.pirateirc.net/?nick=&channels=uspp [12:49] <[bsod]> im all over on that server now [12:49] <erixoltan> ANd for PNC you can join #PNC. [12:49] <Brady> irc.pirateirc.net 6667 (6697 SSL) #uspp/#pnc [12:49] <erixoltan> The PNC meeting is Wed 9pm and the USPP is Tue 9pm. [12:50] <[bsod]> ya, i prefer the client to a webapp [12:50] <erixoltan> Right, you can use a chat client as Brady suggests and get a better result if you are familiar with IRC clients. [12:50] <jokeefe> so can anyone vote on PNC? [12:50] <[bsod]> so, tonight and tomorrow [12:50] <erixoltan> We have been operating from consensus rather than voting. [12:50] <Brady> jokeefe - They wanted that, but I'm trying to discourage it [12:50] <erixoltan> If push comes to shove (for example if we were inundated with pro-copyright trolls) then only the state reps would vote. [12:50] <Brady> Unfortunetly, a few states frequently fail to represent [12:51] <Brady> But doing such a loose voting system is somewhat damaging to credibility. [12:51] <[bsod]> and random stragglers from states that have no previous interaction sometimes show up [12:51] <jokeefe> we have been down that path [12:51] <Brady> If the PNC doesn't take itself seriously, no one else will. [12:51] <jokeefe> it didn't seem to work [12:51] <Brady> Aye [12:51] <erixoltan> I would be happy if it was limited to state reps - however since other states have multiple people ther e participating and getting involved, it would be wrong for Mass to be excluded just because we're well-behaved. [12:51] <Brady> It's not supposed to be fun-fun everyone participate. [12:52] <Brady> That is Amanda's fault [12:52] <Brady> She needs to put her foot down. [12:52] <[bsod]> haha, im crashing in since everyone else is doing it then [12:52] <erixoltan> That's not the point, however. [12:52] <Brady> I do think it is the point. [12:52] <Brady> The PNC was never intended to be a consensus model [12:52] <Brady> Or a crowd model [12:52] <erixoltan> That's a fine thing to bring up on the PNC meeting. [12:53] <Brady> I apologize, I'm interrupting your Mass meeting. [12:53] <Brady> Excuse me. [12:53] <jokeefe> ostensibly the PNC reps represent an org. there is some accountablity [12:53] <[bsod]> we enjoy it, sometimes it gets silent in here [12:54] <jokeefe> everyone participating in the discussion is fine. but the vote should be a roll call vote with each state having one vote [12:54] <jokeefe> is anyone drafting a new constitution? [12:54] <Brady> I am [12:54] <[bsod]> ohh, i figured over populated states like massachusetts could run things by being assigned more representatives [12:54] <[bsod]> like the house [12:54] <Brady> http://iPir.at/constitution [12:55] <erixoltan> Anyway, the second thing about the USPP is that nominations were made for several official positions, Captain/First Mate/ Quartermaster, and those will be discussed tonight at the open USPP meeting. [12:55] <[bsod]> heh, you found the pirate link shortener eh [12:55] <jokeefe> not for now, bsod, this is the interrim agreement till we figure out something more permanent [12:55] <Brady> I've made like, 10 links [12:55] <[bsod]> k [12:55] <jokeefe> not quite sure why we need permanent positions when we don't have a permanent org [12:55] <erixoltan> These are temporary until there's a constitution. [12:56] <erixoltan> Somebody needs to chair the meetings, somebody needs to take the minutes, and somebody needs to serve as a backup chair. [12:56] <jokeefe> fair enough. [12:57] <erixoltan> So in a couple months there'd be a process to come up with permanent positions based on the constitution. [12:57] <jokeefe> hopefully ;-) [12:57] <jokeefe> meant :-) [12:57] <erixoltan> There is now an IT committee - there will be several new committees formed soon. HOpefully this week. [12:57] <jokeefe> so for the elections, erix, do you have any recommendations? [12:57] <[bsod]> the greece government just siezed ppGr's bank account 10 days before the election [12:58] <jokeefe> what? [12:58] <[bsod]> im learning all kind of intresting stuff over on that pirate irc server [12:58] <erixoltan> And there's a big controversy over whether the USPP should be limited to only 3 issues, or whether it's OK to talk about additional positions outside the core 3. [12:58] <jokeefe> they are dropping out of the Euro then [12:58] <erixoltan> They have statements by all the candidates - I would say read the statements and see who you like. [12:59] <[bsod]> they dont know why yet [12:59] <jokeefe> got a link, bsod? [12:59] <erixoltan> I haven't seen where the candidate blurbs have been made public yet. [12:59] <[bsod]> nah, its from conversation happening in #ppi [13:00] <[bsod]> im gonna write something if i get enough [13:00] <jokeefe> thanks, erixoltan, would you forward the statements to the email list? [13:00] <[bsod]> also about breins trial in NL, i have a few things to do today [13:00] <jokeefe> yes, bsod [13:00] <erixoltan> I will ask Amanda to give me the list of them. Not sure I have them all. Will forward as soon as I get them. [13:00] <jokeefe> any other national news, erixoltan? [13:01] <erixoltan> Uh, I think that's enough for this week. [13:01] <jokeefe> So the last item is 3. Public policy questions to put on the Nov. 2012 ballot? [13:02] <jokeefe> here is the info from the state - http://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eleguide/guidepubpol.htm [13:02] <[bsod]> JP, what kind of times are you online with nothing to do, im getting kinna swamped right now [13:02] <jokeefe> basically we can gather signatures to put a question before voters in the november election that would be non-binding on a state rep or senator [13:02] <JP> unless Im doing signatures, Im online. throw me some questions on fb and Ill chomp em out [13:03] <[bsod]> okay [13:03] <[bsod]> the greece party says they'll put a press release on their site soon [13:03] <jokeefe> ugh [13:04] <jokeefe> they are leaving the Euro [13:04] <[bsod]> they're in denial lol [13:04] <erixoltan> how about a ballot question that all written work produced with state funding shoudl be public domain... [13:04] <jokeefe> only reason I can see for them seizing bank accounts [13:04] <jokeefe> sure [13:04] <[bsod]> ya, it doesnt make much sense [13:04] <[bsod]> isnt that already public domain? [13:05] <jokeefe> or that CISPA doesn't apply in MA [13:05] <[bsod]> or was that only sarah palins emails [13:05] <jokeefe> the schedule is at the link and we have until July 3rd to gather the sigs. [13:05] <jokeefe> 200 for state rep district [13:06] <jokeefe> seemed like an organizing activity we could be doing [13:06] <jokeefe> if we turn up a few more people to run then they can run as write ins [13:06] <jokeefe> or in 2013 [13:07] <jokeefe> but what question(s) should we do? [13:07] <[bsod]> laws about alcohol restrictions seem to be popular the last few times [13:07] <jokeefe> grog, arrr [13:08] <[bsod]> maybe we should do something about campaign financing [13:08] <[bsod]> nah not that [13:08] <jokeefe> was thinking more about our issues [13:08] <[bsod]> i know right [13:08] <jokeefe> yeah, not that sadly [13:08] <[bsod]> but also something that people like [13:08] <[bsod]> hmm [13:08] <jokeefe> agreed, we want them to win [13:08] <[bsod]> i dunno, lets take a week to think about it [13:08] <Brady> Uumm [13:08] <[bsod]> lol [13:08] <Brady> Do you guys have a presidential candidate we could...borrow? [13:09] <erixoltan> Hey I'll run... [13:09] <jokeefe> Jill Stein is from MA, but she is on loan already [13:09] <Brady> Might have to get you to Seattle for a weekend. [13:09] <[bsod]> me and erixoltan have to face off in a primary first [13:09] <Brady> All we need is a signed certificate of nomination [13:09] <[bsod]> i actually voted for her [13:09] <[bsod]> damn wasted vote [13:09] <jokeefe> Run someone local, though I don't recommend running a prez candidate [13:09] <Brady> It's our only way to become a 'real' party in the next four years... [13:10] <Brady> I'll ask you about it later. [13:10] <erixoltan> I think it would be great to have a PP presidential candidate - because it would give people in every state a candidate to support. Anyone in a swing state shouldn't vote for them. [13:10] <jokeefe> sure [13:10] <[bsod]> has to be 35 and naturalized citizen and all that eh [13:10] <jokeefe> and we would get 0.05% of the vote [13:10] <[bsod]> and if you're from the south you are told they must have had military service even though that isnt true [13:10] <jokeefe> we have time to think about the questions. how about we put the idea out there and see what suggestions folks give? [13:12] <erixoltan> great [13:12] <jokeefe> I'll post it to the blog and send it out in the next email. [13:12] <[bsod]> yes [13:14] <jokeefe> BTW: the lunch went well [13:15] <jokeefe> next one in May after the film fest. we can advertise it there. just need to pick a date [13:16] <erixoltan> I found the candidate blurbs for the USPP [13:16] <erixoltan> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N1XcHG-qNeygxzgv1SqHG2GPLIlQdGK2rLqvMXIY7Xs/edit [13:16] <erixoltan> will send to the activists list too. [13:17] <SplendidSpoon> Hey jokeefe I'm working on the new wording for the flyer. [13:17] <jokeefe> thanks [13:17] <SplendidSpoon> Want me to email it to you when I'm done, and anyone who wants can edit? [13:17] <jokeefe> thanks. when will you be done, because we need to get it printed [13:18] <SplendidSpoon> Probably by the end of the day [13:18] <jokeefe> email it to me, jeanne and the list [13:18] <SplendidSpoon> I don't know if it's perfect because I can't actually see if it fits because I can't edit the pdf [13:18] <jokeefe> no problem, Jeanne can do that. [13:18] <SplendidSpoon> ok cool [13:18] <jokeefe> just takes time to get it printed [13:18] <jokeefe> for the 5th [13:19] <SplendidSpoon> So I did Open government blurb, open culture blurb, open innovation blurb [13:19] <SplendidSpoon> Now just a people first blurb [13:19] <SplendidSpoon> But it doesn't really leave room for defending privacy [13:20] <[bsod]> hmm, pirate party's .. pirate parties [13:20] <[bsod]> my brain isnt working [13:20] <jokeefe> isn't that part of people first? [13:20] <jokeefe> & open culture [13:20] <jokeefe> should be able to share without losing your privacy? [13:21] <SplendidSpoon> ok I guess I can throw it into open culture [13:21] <jokeefe> whatever you think works. evolving work in progress afterall :-) [13:26] <SplendidSpoon> ok