April 24th, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Decisions

  1. Food for 5/9 Fundraiser
  2. June 5th, Reset the Net
    1. Jamie agreed to endorse, since we have a history of endorsing similar events
    2. How to participate?

Tasks

  1. 2014 Campaign
    1. Noe doing well. Into the 120s valid at least.
    2. Joe is making progress. Need to schedule a time for folks from out of area to help.
  2. Jobs not Jails Rally on Saturday
    1. Who's going?
  3. 5/9 Fundraiser
    1. MC - Chance is all set
    2. DJ - Mr. Precision confirmed
    3. Poster & handbills - Jamie will send details to KM
      1. 1-up flyer
      2. 4-up flyer
    4. Blog post - post by this weekend if not earlier
    5. Logistics - pad
    6. Food?
  4. General Assembly/Together Boston Cryptoparty (Sunday, May 18th)
    1. Have seven speakers, ACLU willing to sponsor
  5. Tech Issues
    1. js0000 obtained cartel certificate for masspirates.org. Installed
    2. Wordpress needs a little work before we can force all traffic over https
    3. Srevilak working on CiviCRM
    4. BitPay
    5. voter reg. app on hold for a month
  6. Support, Outreach & Finances
    1. Finance update
    2. Event checklist - we have source docs. need someone to put it together

Events

  1. April 26th, noon, Jobs Not Jails: Rally to End Mass Incarceration and Fund Job Creation, Boston Common
  2. May 9th. MAPP Fundraiser, 7-11pm, Democracy Center
  3. May 9-10, Security Bsides Boston, Calling for papers
  4. May 17th Together Boston Festival
  5. May 18th Together Boston Cryptoparty, General Assembly, Boston
  6. May 24th Boston Security Conference - James speaking at it
  7. May 24th, March Against Monsanto, Boston
  8. June 5th, Reset the Net
  9. September 2014 Conference - Need location & date before May 9th

Participants

  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington)
  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI)
  • K`Tetch (Andrew Norton, Monticello, Ga - US Pirate party vice chair)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • ageis

Observers:

  • davidd
  • zby

Summary

Fundraiser. We're mostly set with logistics, with the notable exception of food. Will circle back to food after the 4/29 signature gathering deadline.


Signature Gathering. Planning a signature push this weekend, to help Joe get on the ballot. Bellingham has the highest density, and the most food traffic. If you do door-to-door in Bellingham, you need to register with police dept. first.

Article 7 of Bellingham bylaws talks about door-to-door solicitation. Appears that it only applies to salespeople, and there's a specific exemption for political campaigns (114-7).

Meet at Joe's place @ 11:00am.

Meeting Minutes

21:07 < Bluelustreak> Ahoy!
21:07 < srevilak> hi all
21:07 < srevilak> shall we get started, or give Jamie a few minutes?
21:08 < Kendra> Hi Everybody.  I say start.
21:08 < noe> I think we could probably wait a bit.  :)
21:08 < Bluelustreak> We can start, I'm sure he would rather didn't wait.
21:08 < Bluelustreak> He's at soccer, I think.
21:08 < Bluelustreak> Can't be helped.
21:09 < noe> All right!  Should we roll call?
21:09 < srevilak> ids
21:09 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington
21:10 < Bluelustreak> Lucia Fiero
21:10 < noe> Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville
21:10 < srevilak> agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_24th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:10 < Bluelustreak> ageis?
21:10 < Bluelustreak> Kendra?
21:10 < ageis> hello
21:11 < srevilak> Fundraiser first
21:11 < Bluelustreak> Hey
21:11 < K`Tetch> Andrew Norton, Monticello, Ga - US Pirate party vice chair
21:12 < srevilak> I think we've finalized entertainment
21:12 < srevilak> jokeefe: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_24th,_2014_IRC_Meeting
21:12 < jokeefe> ahoy!  sorry for my tardiness
21:12 < jokeefe> thanks for putting it together
21:13 < srevilak> np
21:13 < srevilak> shall I hand you the helm?
21:13 < Kendra> Kendra Moyer, Highland Park, MI
21:14 < jokeefe> James O'Keefe, Somerville
21:15 < jokeefe> sorry, where are we?
21:15 < noe> We just did ids, I think.
21:15 < Bluelustreak> Fundraiser sir
21:15 < srevilak> we were about to start on fundraiser
21:15 < jokeefe> ah
21:15 < srevilak> I think we've got funder entertainment decided
21:16 < srevilak> Joe and Noe should be there, so we can have panel discussion
21:16 < jokeefe> srevilak, did you put your revised handbill up?
21:16 < Bluelustreak> Joe...
21:16 < srevilak> jokeefe: will put up after IRC
21:16 < jokeefe> great, to hear that both will be there!
21:16 < srevilak> I'll volunteer to moderate panel (unless someone is itching to do it)
21:16 < Bluelustreak> Did you talk to Joe?
21:17 < jokeefe> not since last night
21:17 < Bluelustreak> That's more recently than me!
21:17 < srevilak> I talked to joe a few days ago.  He said he was planning to be there for 5/9
21:18 < srevilak> Will try to invite a few others to stop in and say a few words (e.g., Zak from FSF)
21:18 < srevilak> beyond that, we have to get food situation squared away
21:18 < srevilak> and do more promotion
21:19 < srevilak> Food can probably wait until after 4/29
21:19 < noe> That sounds sensible.
21:19 < noe> So, we should focus on getting signatures until then?
21:20 < srevilak> I'd like to see us focusing on signatures.  How do others feel?
21:21 < jokeefe> Agreed
21:21 < jokeefe> everything else can wait
21:21 < Bluelustreak> Agreed, but...
21:21 < jokeefe> I emailed KM about the poster
21:21 < Bluelustreak> OK
21:21 < jokeefe> agreed, but?
21:22 < Bluelustreak> Ugh transparency
21:22 < Bluelustreak> I feel like Joe dumped this in my lap
21:22 < Bluelustreak> I gave up on pushing him
21:22 < Bluelustreak> He was a no show for PT AGAIN today and I PAY him
21:22 < jokeefe> Hopefully he is getting sigs ;-)
21:23 < Bluelustreak> Is that the impression he gave you?
21:23 < jokeefe> We didn't talk about that specifically.  Only about the number he had gathered himself
21:24 < Bluelustreak> I told him I was available EVERY thurs afternoon rather than PT until the 29th, and he has never taken me up on it.
21:25 < jokeefe> I will call him.
21:25 < Bluelustreak> Now we are at the last week and it is the only week I have evenings with Jason for... how long, who knows
21:25 < Bluelustreak> I would be helping him with his samples right now except he is resting.
21:26 < Bluelustreak> I was plenty gung ho in the beginning.
21:26 < jokeefe> talked with him.  he will sign on 
21:26 < jokeefe> and so he has
21:27 < Joe> Hey guys, didn't realize what time it was
21:27 < noe> Ahoy!
21:27 < srevilak> Hi Joe
21:27 < Joe> Yargh!
21:27 < Kendra> hi joe
21:27 < jokeefe> ahoy Joe!
21:28 < jokeefe> Just trying to get things squared away about your signature gathering effort and what we can do to help
21:28 < Joe> yeah sure
21:28 < Joe> anytime Sunday is good for me
21:28 < Joe> The earlier the better
21:28 < Bluelustreak> What's up Saturday?
21:28 < Joe> I handed in 48 to Bellingham today and I'm going to check in on them tomorrow
21:29 < Bluelustreak> Wow. Not bad!
21:29 < noe> Awesome!
21:30 < Joe> I think I had 61 in total, not sure how many other people have
21:30 < Bluelustreak> We may have 20?
21:30 < jokeefe> How many others are gathering?
21:31 < Joe> I have my friend Tim helping me but I haven't heard back from him
21:31 < Bluelustreak> Saturday is my birthday.
21:31 < jokeefe> happy early birthday!
21:31 < Bluelustreak> I guess I could use that to pressure people
21:31 < noe> Yes!
21:31 < jokeefe> lol
21:31 < Bluelustreak> "Please sign! FOR MY BIRTHDAY!"
21:31 < noe> Excellent strategy.
21:32 < Bluelustreak> If ppl come out Sunday we will get pizza n beer
21:32 < jokeefe> quite the incentive!
21:32 < Bluelustreak> (Teavana for you, cap'n)
21:32  * srevilak posted fundraiser flyer links in https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_24th,_2014_IRC_Meeting#Decisions
21:32 < jokeefe> thanks, srevilak
21:33 < jokeefe> So we have 5 days.  
21:33 < srevilak> I'm game for Sunday.  What time?
21:33 < Bluelustreak> When can you get here?
21:33 < noe> I am also game, but I might have to bum a ride off of Jamie.
21:33 < Bluelustreak> And can you bring coffee?
21:34 < Bluelustreak> I think everyone who is willing to come out will fit in one vehicle.
21:35 < Joe> Whoever is driving can meet at my house and I'll supply coffee and some snacks
21:35 < Bluelustreak> Thanks Joe.
21:35 < jokeefe> Just working out my schedule for Sunday, but I will be there.
21:36 < Bluelustreak> Can you bring Liam? 
21:36 < Bluelustreak> I'll bet he's wizard at collecting sigs
21:36 < jokeefe> Will ask, think he has a bday party to go to
21:36 < jokeefe> What about Friday, Monday, Tuesday before 4pm?
21:36 < Bluelustreak> Don't enslave the boy. wus just kidding
21:37 < Bluelustreak> Me me me and me?
21:37 < jokeefe> you go!
21:37 < Bluelustreak> Kiss my ass
21:37 < Bluelustreak> I was being IRONIC
21:37 < jokeefe> Which town has the highest density?
21:37 < Bluelustreak> Bellingham
21:38 < Joe> Bellingham is dense and has a lot of foot traffic
21:38 < jokeefe> Door to Door on Sunday?
21:38 < Joe> Uxbridge may be decent, but its pretty spread out
21:38 < Joe> We could but anyone going door to door in Bellingham has to have their information filled out at the Bham Police station
21:39 < Bluelustreak> Stands against my principles, but why not?
21:39 < noe> Is that a thing we can do on Sunday morning?
21:39 < jokeefe> seriously?  First amendment?
21:39 < noe> (filling out info)
21:39 < Joe> At least that's what the BPD told me
21:39 < Bluelustreak> My principles of leaving people alone in their homes
21:40 < Bluelustreak> If they are out of the house they have made the decision to interact with humanity
21:40 < jokeefe> higher probability that they are in district
21:40 < Bluelustreak> LOL I can just imagine you showing up at MY HOUSE when you were running, on a Sunday morning.
21:40 < Bluelustreak> (Jamie)
21:41 < jokeefe> or Sunday after noon
21:41 < Joe> Well I have nothing against going door to door. My neighborhood is pretty friendly
21:41 < Bluelustreak> Lot's of traffic at the Charles River center. I will try the Barnes and Noble.
21:42 < noe> are there public areas you have not hit?  parks or other places you've thought of but haven't had time to go to?
21:42 < Bluelustreak> I woulnd't mind warm calling
21:42 < Bluelustreak> Everyone is always in their cars
21:42 < jokeefe> So on Sunday, lets meet at Joes and figure it out from there
21:42 < Bluelustreak> They dont get out to get COFFEE thats what dunkies are for
21:42 < noe> Jamie, good plan.  What time soundsbest?
21:42 < noe> *sounds best?
21:43 < srevilak> FYI: http://www.bellinghamma.org/Pages/BellinghamMA_Clerk/STM10.09.2013.pdf
21:43 < srevilak> Article 7, Chapter 114 deals with door-to-door solicitation
21:43 < srevilak> Appears to apply to salespersons
21:43 < srevilak> We are not salespersons
21:43 < jokeefe> not sure yet, noe.  Want to maximize time there
21:44 < Joe> The closest Barnes and Nobles next to Bellingham is 26 miles and it doesn't get much foot traffic
21:44 < noe> I think we have an exception!
21:44 < Joe> I'd much rather hit a place like Walmart or whole foods
21:44 < Joe> or even another town for that matter
21:44 < Bluelustreak> Um...
21:44 < noe> check out 114-7
21:44 < Bluelustreak> Between Walmart and Market bsaket?
21:44 < Bluelustreak> its 20 minutes from my house
21:45 < Bluelustreak> 10
21:45 < Bluelustreak> 10 minutes
21:45 < noe> We should be excepted from registering because we are politicians campaigning.
21:45 < jokeefe> would think so
21:45 < Joe> Thanks srevilak
21:45 < srevilak> noe: yes.  Looks like we are exempt
21:45 < noe> Alternatively, we could pretend to be a religious organization?
21:45 < Bluelustreak> Ha ha!
21:45 < jokeefe> Kopimists!
21:45 < Bluelustreak> No we just need to check in with the cops
21:45 < Bluelustreak> and by we I mean y'all.
21:46 < jokeefe> Anyone else we can rope in?
21:46 < Joe> If we are pretending to be religious, I'm going to carry my cats with me and we shall be named the Ministry of The Fiesty Felines
21:46 < srevilak> back to earlier question: what time?  How about 11:00am?
21:46 < Bluelustreak> Up to Joe
21:47 < Bluelustreak> Going to his house, right?
21:47 < Joe> I might be able to get someone else to help out
21:47 < Joe> 11am would be fine
21:47 < srevilak> jokeefe: does 11am work for you?
21:48 < jokeefe> probably will know tonight hopefully
21:49 < noe> I may have to hitch a ride with someone, but yes, 11am should work for me.
21:49 < Bluelustreak> We have phones. You can come out ater
21:49 < Bluelustreak> later
21:49 < Bluelustreak> srevilak can you give Noe a ride?
21:49 < srevilak> noe: I can give you a ride
21:50 < noe> awesome!  we should also do an email check withe interested people Saturday night?
21:50 < jokeefe> good idea
21:50 < noe> I'm hoping that others will also want to come with us.
21:50 < srevilak> And meet at Joe's place?
21:50 < noe> Yup.
21:50 < jokeefe> posted at the FB Group.  Anyone on it should talk it up.
21:51 < Joe> Should we send the email Friday so people can plan their Sunday?
21:51 < Joe> If we are sending it to Pirate Activists
21:51 < noe> Joe is right, probably even best to send an email right away, just like posting to the FB group.
21:52 < jokeefe> Sure.  Though calling people specifically might have better results
21:52 < jokeefe> All options is best
21:55 < jokeefe> So lets get out there and get Joe on the ballot!
21:55 < Joe> ^^
21:55 < jokeefe> Quick update on Noe's campaign.  Should have 131 valid sigs.  
21:55 < jokeefe> With 49 being verified
21:56 < noe> Hooray!
21:56 < jokeefe> So should have enough with a bit of padding.  I pick up the ones being verified tomorrow, so we will know how many we have then
21:56 < Kendra> Nicw work
21:57 < jokeefe> Update on General Assembly/Together Boston Cryptoparty (Sunday, May 18th) 
21:57 < noe> The work of about 12-ish volunteers.  I have to give people high fives for that.
21:57 < jokeefe> They done well
21:58 < Bluelustreak> Well done Noe, Jamie.
21:58 < jokeefe> Got a schedule.  GA is getting the page up.  Gotta find pics for people and bios
21:59 < jokeefe> We skipped - June 5th, Reset the Net
21:59 < jokeefe> Boston Pride parade is June 14th and now starts at 11am
22:00 < Bluelustreak> So line up tim ei when?
22:01 < jokeefe> don't know.  assume hour earlier
22:01 < jokeefe> Reset the net is June 5th which is a Thursday.
22:01 < jokeefe> Cryptoparty at e5 that evening?
22:02  * srevilak looks at calendar
22:02 < jokeefe> we have the march against monsanto on the 24th
22:02 < jokeefe> may 24th
22:03 < srevilak> jokeefe: could do cryptoparty on eve of June 5th.
22:03 < srevilak> will look into it
22:03 < Bluelustreak> Time check 10:03. Started 10 mins late or so.
22:03 < jokeefe> thanks
22:03 < srevilak> reset the net suggested putting banners on web sites, but I like idea of cryptoparty
22:04 < jokeefe> just wanted us to do something that wouldn't be too much to organize.
22:04 < srevilak> jokeefe: yes.  Ruthless efficiency is key :)
22:05 < jokeefe> we can do both.  some talk of organizing a rally, but we would need to bring more people in for that.  Not that that is a bad idea
22:05 < jokeefe> I'll ask the usual activists and see what they think
22:06 < jokeefe> the test stuff I can ask srevilak off channel
22:07 < jokeefe> any other pressing items folks want to bring up?
22:08 < jokeefe> BTW: here is what the EU pirates are doing - http://piratetimes.net/eu14/
22:08 < Kendra> Nite Pirates
22:08 < Bluelustreak> What is this for, exactly? http://www.clearstorydata.com/trial/
22:08 < Bluelustreak> If anyone feels like explaining hmu
22:09 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: looks like some sort of web-based data visualization tool
22:09 < Bluelustreak> Engrish prease?
22:09 < srevilak> Bluelustreak: software to draw graphs
22:10 < srevilak> jokeefe: no other pressing issues for tonight's agenda that I can think of
22:10 < noe> should we adjourn?
22:10 < Bluelustreak> Well, I'm done being bristly and offensive for tonight.
22:11 < srevilak> second motion to adjourn
22:11 < srevilak> will post transcript
22:11 < jokeefe> all in favor
22:11 < Bluelustreak> Ciao peeps.
22:11 < Bluelustreak> aye
22:11 < jokeefe> thanks srevilak
22:11 < srevilak> 'nite all
22:11 < noe> see you all on Sunday, I hope.  :)
22:11 < jokeefe> you will
22:12 < jokeefe> any opposed?
22:12 < jokeefe> seeing none - night all