April 24th, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search



Update on Surveillance Ordinances

  • Cambridge
  • Boston
  • Somerville
  • Arlington
  • Lawrence


Email newsletter

Topics for next newsletter

Video Newsletter

Party Conference

Computer Donations


Statements In Process

  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install slack alternative (jokeefe)

Upcoming Events


  • Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • hvxgr: Tom Rodman (Milwaukee)
  • Malt


  • ChanServ




[9:02pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_24th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:02pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:02pm] Pirate_Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:02pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:02pm] hvxgr: Tom Rodman (Milwaukee)
[9:03pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:03pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:03pm] Pirate_Joe: ahoy malt
[9:03pm] Malt: hi friends
[9:03pm] Malt: i'm working on the revised solidarity statements atm and will get em out tonight
[9:03pm] hvxgr: ahoy
[9:04pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:04pm] Malt: hi hi
[9:04pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:04pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_24th,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:04pm] Pirate_Joe: I am happy with content tonight.
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Update on Surveillance Ordinances - Looking at five cities/towns. Cambridge had a hearing last week.
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Boston’s hearing was postponed
[9:09pm] jokeefe: No update on Somerville
[9:10pm] Malt:
[9:10pm] jokeefe: Arlington - the task force was formed sayeth Steve
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Still looking for more people in Lawrence
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Email newsletter
[9:11pm] jokeefe: Mailed one out today
[9:12pm] jokeefe: Anything to add for the next one?
[9:12pm] Malt: would the solidarity statements fit?
[9:12pm] jokeefe: sure
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: We could also highlight the videos we are doing.
[9:14pm] Pirate_Joe: And when to attend meetings
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Yes
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Added those in the last one 
[9:16pm] jokeefe: Scheduled the bits of emails as multiple blog posts. Here is the first: https://masspirates.org/blog/2018/04/24/pirate-news-dont-fear-the-dark-web-video-up/
[9:16pm] Pirate_Joe: Nice
[9:17pm] Malt: good work!
[9:18pm] jokeefe: don’t forget to fill out the survey
[9:19pm] Pirate_Joe: Please link
[9:21pm] jokeefe: https://masspirates.org/crew/forms/2018-pirate-party-conference-questionnaire
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:21pm] jokeefe: When should we do the next one?
[9:21pm] jokeefe: And what topic?
[9:22pm] Malt: CESTA/FOSTA?
[9:22pm] Malt: i can generally do non-mondays
[9:23pm] jokeefe: FOSTA would be perfect
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: I figured we could invite as many pirates as a general  discussion on current issues. I am open to suggestions though if you have any ideas.
[9:24pm] Pirate_Joe: If you prefer  FOSTA
[9:24pm] jokeefe: general discuss on the video?
[9:25pm] jokeefe: discussion that is
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: I feel like doing a fun video that is a bit less rushed.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: FOSTA isn’t going away anytime soon
[9:26pm] jokeefe: sadly
[9:26pm] Pirate_Joe: lol, true 
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: Plus other were looking to join so I wanted to encourage ut.
[9:27pm] Pirate_Joe: it.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: A current issue discussion works. when?
[9:28pm] Pirate_Joe: I am open to do this sooner than later now that I am getting more staff.
[9:29pm] Malt: i'm generally free-ish, i just need advance notice
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Sunday, April 29th in the morning?
[9:30pm] jokeefe: or evening
[9:30pm] Malt: evening
[9:31pm] jokeefe: fine by me
[9:31pm] jokeefe: when?
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: As well as me
[9:31pm] Pirate_Joe: 7 pm?
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Sure
[9:32pm] jokeefe: Should we make live?
[9:32pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[9:33pm] jokeefe: 7pm or for you Malt?
[9:33pm] jokeefe: ok that is
[9:33pm] Malt: ok
[9:34pm] Pirate_Joe: We use Google hangouts, easy peasy
[9:35pm] jokeefe: 7pm, keep it to under 15 minutes?
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: With this one I would limit to an hour.
[9:36pm] Pirate_Joe: We should mix in a few long ones here and there.
[9:36pm] jokeefe: works for me
[9:37pm] Pirate_Joe: Just be careful not to over do it. If it turns out short that is fine too.
[9:38pm] Pirate_Joe: That's all I have for the video
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Party Conference - survey is out. blog post is scheduled. didn’t set a due date.
[9:39pm] jokeefe: what should the due date be?
[9:40pm] igel: like 2+ weeks?
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: Due one month for discovery?
[9:40pm] igel: yea, right?
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe: 3 weeks is a happy middle ground
[9:40pm] Pirate_Joe:
[9:40pm] jokeefe: works for me
[9:42pm] Malt: ok
[9:43pm] jokeefe: Computer Donations - asked for help in the email
[9:45pm] Pirate_Joe: ok, I have not done much on this front lately. I will try to give it some focus.
[9:45pm] jokeefe: I don’t have a tech update, unfortunately.
[9:46pm] jokeefe: MeshNet hackathons are this Saturday and 5/12
[9:49pm] igel: confirming access/auth is ongoing, then flyering possibly this Sat. or focus on 5/12
[9:49pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:49pm] Pirate_Joe: Are we working with any specific group or are these just general gathers/discussions?
[9:51pm] jokeefe: massmesh.org
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Massachusetts Mesh Network
[9:51pm] igel: mesh network? ah, so.. thats a good question
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Group in formation
[9:51pm] igel: i jumped
[9:51pm] igel: i caught* interested after the 2nd or 3rd meet
[9:52pm] jokeefe: anyhow, that is all I have
[9:52pm] igel: i think the repeal of NN helped organize
[9:53pm] Malt: it's cropped up again
[9:53pm] jokeefe: aye, igel
[9:53pm] Malt: talk about ISPs slow rolling changes so folk don't notice
[9:54pm] Pirate_Joe: What updates do you have Malt?
[9:55pm] Malt: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/04/fcc-hasnt-finalized-net-neutrality-repeal-and-the-delay-might-be-strategic/
[9:56pm] Malt: just a few news articles
[9:56pm] Malt: nothing major
[9:57pm] jokeefe: will have to read that
[9:57pm] jokeefe: thanks
[9:57pm] Pirate_Joe: Ahh, want to see if had enough meat for the discussion on Sunday
[9:59pm] Pirate_Joe: we are at time
[9:59pm] Malt:
[9:59pm] jokeefe: aye
[9:59pm] Malt: ahhhh flies so quickly
[9:59pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn, then?
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Aye
[10:00pm] Malt: 2nd
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: I Second
[10:00pm] hvxgr: Aye/Good nite all.
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Third?
[10:00pm] jokeefe: aye
[10:00pm] jokeefe: good night all
[10:00pm] Malt: good night
[10:00pm] Pirate_Joe: Good evening everyone