April 29th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Computer donations

Rules

Regional Meetings/Events

All meetings on hold due to Covid-19.

Leader: jokeefe

  • Boston (jokeefe)
  • Worcester (Malt)
  • Lowell (Joe)
  • Boston Pride Festival (emailed them that we transferred our table to 2021)
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 7pm unless changed

Computer Donations

On hold

  • srevilak/jokeefe working on sign up form.
  • Joe Location still being worked on.

Bills

No clue where things are now due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Right to Repair

  • out of committee
  • next email will urge supporters to call their state senator/rep. and urge them to support it
  • see if people willing to setup meeting with reps.

Facial Recognition and other bills still in committee.

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Tabled Projects

National Party

Boston Sex Worker Petition

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • Summer 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNe Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting
  • 5/?, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line

Participants

  • srevilak
  • jokeefe

Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy
  • mikey

Summary

Minutes

 
21:00 <@jokeefe> Surprised, not surprised
       https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/rosalindadams/after-one-tweet-to-president-trump-this-man-got-69-million
21:02 <@jokeefe> how are you?
21:04 <@jokeefe> Agenda
       https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_29th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
21:04 <@jokeefe> ids
21:04 <@jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:05 < srevilak> Back in the old days, the lottery was conducted
       differently
21:06 <@jokeefe> Joe won’t be able to make it and I guess Malt might
       not be able to do so as well
21:06 < srevilak> quiet meeting then
21:06 < srevilak> I spent a portion of the last two hours on a virtual
       town hall, re our upcoming elections
21:07 <@jokeefe> how is that going?
21:07 < srevilak> Lots of it will likely be done via mail
21:07 < srevilak> town will mail postcards out to all registered voters,
       to make it easy to request mail in ballot
21:07 < srevilak> Fill out postcard, sign, drop in mail
21:08 <@jokeefe> nice!
21:09 < srevilak> Yeah, ma state legislature passed legislation to allow
       vote by mail this election
21:09 < srevilak> sec of state office filed legislation (not passed)
       to extend for rest of the year
21:09 < srevilak> My state rep is filing legis to make it permanent
21:09 <@jokeefe> good to see the town is being proactive in telling
       people about it
21:09 <@jokeefe> wonderful
21:10 < srevilak> they're doing a good job
21:11 <@jokeefe> Looks like the pirateirc webchat is down, so Malt cannot
       get in
21:12 < srevilak> oh dear.  502 is not a happy number :(
21:13 <@jokeefe> yes
21:15 <@jokeefe> I haven’t sent an email update or blog post on the
       computer donations yet. Hope to have it by this weekend. Did you get a
       chance to create the web form?
21:16 < srevilak> no - I forgot :(
21:16 < srevilak> will work on it later in week
21:16 <@jokeefe> thank you.
21:16  * srevilak puts sticky note on monitor
21:17 <@jokeefe> good plan
21:17 < Malt> Hello
21:17 < Malt> It worked!
21:17 <@jokeefe> oh great
21:18 < srevilak> yay!
21:18 < Malt> Sam capradae, Worcester
21:18 < Malt> So how yall doin?
21:19 < srevilak> not bad
21:19 <@jokeefe> tired. Wish we had the pandemic under control
21:19 < Malt> Yeah we're going to get forces open too soon and millions
       gonna die
21:20 <@jokeefe> This is going to last a long time
21:21 <@jokeefe> srevilak and I are working on the computer donations
       items from last week
21:21 < srevilak> On the bright side, one can still find kitty litter
       in pet stores
21:21 < srevilak> unlike toilet paper
21:21 <@jokeefe> Pemberton
21:22 <@jokeefe> on mass ave, cambridge
21:22 < srevilak> Worse comes to worse, I'll order a pallet, share
       with neighbors
21:22 < Malt> I couldn't get yeast so I found the biggest box of bisquick
       they had
21:23 <@jokeefe> better to do that now. you are looking at two week delay
21:23 < srevilak> Malt: bakeries.  Ones around here are selling flour
       and yeast, in addition to baked stuff
21:23 <@jokeefe> yes, yeast is hard to find. one place had it, but would
       only give out one packet each.
21:25 < Malt> I think the biggest nearby bakery is tabletalk
21:25 <@jokeefe> isn’t that pretty big?
21:25 <@jokeefe> no smaller bakeries?
21:26 < Malt> Some. Decent Brazilian places
21:27 < srevilak> We've been using http://www.hi-risebread.com/
21:27 < srevilak> Malt: in worst case, I can mail some to you
21:28 < Malt> Thanks but Gabe wants to try wild sourdough
21:29 <@jokeefe> unfortunately, the local pie/bakery closed during
       the pandemic
21:29 < srevilak> was that Petsi?
21:29 <@jokeefe> yes
21:29 < Malt> Boo
21:29 < srevilak> they had good stuff
21:30 <@jokeefe> they do
21:30 <@jokeefe> Since we have most of us, what should be the pirate
       policy on the pandemic and economic collapse?
21:31 < Malt> We had it coming
21:31 <@jokeefe> basic income, medicare for all
21:31 < srevilak> distance, wear masks, wash hands
21:31 < srevilak> and what jokeefe said
21:32 < Malt> Can't go back to what wehad
21:32 < srevilak> sure we can.  It will just take a few years
21:33 <@jokeefe> https://pluralistic.net/2020/04/29/banjo-nazis/#butchery
21:33 <@jokeefe> Enforce the anti-trust laws
21:34 < Malt> Banjo nazis
21:35 < Malt> Quite the url
21:35 <@jokeefe> decentralizing our food and medical supply system
21:36 < Malt> We need to put homeless in hotels
21:38 < Malt> Halt evictions
21:38 <@jokeefe> Agree. Chelsea has been hit hard. Overcrowding is part
       of it. We need to get better housing for so many more.
21:39 <@jokeefe> Evictions have been halted, but at least in CA, the
       bankers are illegally selling foreclosed houses
21:39 < srevilak> One of the things that surprised me: as of this last
       week, Lexington's infection rate was the same as Somerville
21:40 <@jokeefe> wow
21:41 < Malt> As tests ramp up I think we'll find a shocking amount of adu
21:41 < Malt> Asymptomatic survivors
21:41 <@jokeefe> expect so
21:44 <@jokeefe> excess profits tax
21:44 < Malt> Internet as utility
21:45 <@jokeefe> absolutely
21:45 < srevilak> yup
21:47 <@jokeefe> we still good for recording on Sunday 7pm?
21:47 < Malt> Sure
21:48 < srevilak> yup
21:49 <@jokeefe> that is all I have. anything else?
21:49 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
21:49 < Malt> 2nd
21:50 <@jokeefe> aye
21:50 <@jokeefe> have a wonderful night
21:50 < Malt> Nighy pals
21:51 < srevilak> will post transcript