April 2nd, 2015 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions

  1. PirateCon 2015
    1. Participants: https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSchedule
    2. Materials/Logistics: https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
    3. Poster / flyers
    4. Registration
    5. Childcare?
    6. Web site update
    7. Email blast
  2. Event Planning
    1. May 2, Point to Point Camp Cryptoparty, Cambridge
    2. May 6, International Day against DRM Standout - where?
    3. May 17, noon, Together Boston Cryptoparty, Danger!Awesome, Cambridge
    4. May 29-31, Possibility of proposing a panel at the Left Forum, NYC
    5. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
    6. Summer, INEAS org cryptoparty?
    7. Sep. 19 & 20, Freedom Rally
  3. New Materials

Defer to next meeting?

  1. Restore the 4th Bills - Jamie hasn't posted blog post about them. Will this weekend.
    1. SD1546 Mandates Police Bodycams, protects data - Summary, Bill text
    2. HD430, Reining in Militarization in Massachusetts - Summary & Bill text

Events Summary

  1. Apr. 9, Boston College Internet Law Society cryptoparty, srevilak presenting, others wanted
  2. Apr. 25, PirateCon 2015
  3. May 2, Point to Point Camp cryptoparty
  4. May 6, International Day against DRM
  5. May 10-17, Together Boston Cryptoparty?
  6. Jun. 13, Boston Pride Parade
  7. Jun. event?
  8. Jul. event?
  9. Aug. event?
  10. Sep., Freedom Rally
  11. Oct. event?
  12. Nov. event?
  13. Dec. event?

Every Thu., Digital Fourth meeting, 11:20am-1:30pm, Voltage Cafe, Third Street, Cambridge

Participants

  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • igel (Will Fleurant, Arlington)
  • davidd
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington MA)
  • noe
  • js0000 (johnny saylor south waltham)
  • Bluestreak

Observers

  • zby
  • Pharyngeal

Summary

Discussed lots of things relating to PirateCon. Including: materials and logistics, email announcement, Civi signup form, need for flags, t-shirts, need for a childcare provider.

Waiting for FSF to provide update on international day against drm. Will either flyer with them, or on our own.

May 17th Together Boston cryptoparty confirmed. Awaiting exact location and duration.

Possible participation in Left forum on May 29--31.

Will need RSVP forms for Boston pride parade, Freedom Rally.

Possibility of having Rick Falkvinge videoconference in. Need to work out network capacity, supporting tech.

Minutes

 
20:43 < jokeefe> ahoy!
20:53 < jokeefe> ahoy noe!
20:53 < srevilak> hi all
20:56 < davidd> hi
20:56 < davidd> congrats srevilak
20:56 < davidd> has it been confirmed officially yet
20:59 < srevilak> davidd: as officially as it gets in my town
20:59 < srevilak> http://arlingtonma.gov/home/showdocument?id=24487
21:00 < davidd> http://arxiv.org/pdf/1503.07723v1.pdf link in return :)
21:00 < srevilak> btw: BC cryptoparty delayed 1 week.  Happening next Thu
21:01 < jokeefe> ok
21:01 < jokeefe> hi igel
21:01 < srevilak> (BC is on easter break right now)
21:01 < jokeefe> hi js0000
21:01 < jokeefe> Agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_2nd,_2015_IRC_Meeting
21:01 < jokeefe> ids - James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:02 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington MA
21:02 < js0000> johnny saylor south waltham
21:02 < igel> Will Fleurant, Arlington
21:03 < jokeefe> anything anyone want to add anything to the agenda?
21:04 < jokeefe> Moving on: PirateCon 2015
21:05 < jokeefe> Participants - please ask for their names and brief bios.
        Also confirm talk titles
21:05 < srevilak> I have a few updates
21:05 < jokeefe> for?
21:05 < srevilak> Wage inequality: very likely to get someone from
        #WageAction.
21:06 < jokeefe> good, so that makes three?
21:06 < srevilak> Currently approaching boston bus drivers union, and
        some folks who did teacher organization at tufts
21:06 < srevilak> jokeefe: two
21:06 < jokeefe> so #WageAction & Socialist Alternative?
21:07 < srevilak> so far.  #WageAction needs to go through a consensus
        process first, but seems very likely
21:07 < jokeefe> ok
21:08 < srevilak> they're planning a big event for 4/14; that's their
        priority right now
21:08 < jokeefe> Materials/Logistics:
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
21:10 < igel> would be cool if checkboxes were on there, too.
21:10 < jokeefe> ahoy noe
21:10 < jokeefe> yes, that would be good igel
21:10 < srevilak> checkbox trick:
21:10 < srevilak> [ ] not checked
21:10 < srevilak> [X] checked
21:10 < srevilak> :_
21:10 < igel> hmm is there any  hehe.. yea, should we go thru it?
21:10 < srevilak> :)
21:11 < jokeefe> Right
21:11 < jokeefe> noe on Materials/Logistics:
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
21:11 < noe> rahoy
21:11 < igel> lo
21:11 < noe> im on phone, my network is down
21:12 < jokeefe> dang
21:13 < noe> network might be spotty, ill be two logins for now
21:13 < noe_> ahoy!
21:13 < jokeefe> will be quick
21:13 < Bluestreak> Ahoy
21:13 < jokeefe> ahoy Bluestreak
21:14 < jokeefe> Materials/Logistics:
        https://piratenpad.de/p/2015PirateConSiteDetails
21:14 < jokeefe> if you want to claim a task, just add yourself to it.
21:15 < jokeefe> Poster / flyers - Talked with Kate about flyer.
        Said she can.  Maybe by this weekend
21:15 < srevilak> Had written to dana, re flyer.  Not heard back yet
21:16 < jokeefe> follow ups are good
21:16 < srevilak> will do
21:16 < jokeefe> thanks
21:16 < jokeefe> Registration
21:17 < srevilak> shall we work on civi setup on Saturday?
21:17 < srevilak> (for registration)
21:17 < jokeefe> sign up page?
21:17 < js0000> what is the work?
21:17 < srevilak> yes, signup page
21:17 < srevilak> js0000: basicically some civi crm setup work
21:17 < jokeefe> was going to do it tonight so I can send an email out
        for the morning
21:18 < jokeefe> name/address/email/phone seems straight forward
21:18 < srevilak> jokeefe: ok, but please test before broadcasting link :)
21:18 < jokeefe> agreed
21:18 < js0000> i can help test if you want
21:18 < jokeefe> will send the link out when I have it done
21:18 < srevilak> aside from user-visible workflow, other aspect of
        testing is to examine the resulting contact record
21:19 < jokeefe> agreed
21:19 < js0000> ok, i don't know civi but can learn ...
21:19 < js0000> maybe not too quick
21:20 < jokeefe> Childcare?
21:21 < srevilak> I know cat sitters, but not child sitters
21:21 < Bluestreak> Payment?
21:21 < Bluestreak> Or volunteer?
21:21 < noe_> Does anyone know someone who would offer to watch kids
        during Pirate Con?
21:21 < jokeefe> srevilak suggested $15/hr x 8 per worker
21:21 < jokeefe> I don’t think we will get many volunteers
21:21 < noe_> (probably for money, but if they'd like to donate their
        time, we should credit them)
21:21 < Bluestreak> I will ask my friend about working at that rate.
21:21 < srevilak> If we can get volunteers, great.  If not, we should
        pay for their services
21:22 < Bluestreak> but there are lawas about the kid to provider ratio
        I think
21:22 < noe_> The younger the kids, the lower the ratio?
21:22 < jokeefe> plus CORI check
21:22 < Bluestreak> Is there a space to put them in?
21:22 < Bluestreak> on another floor?
21:23 < srevilak> There's a kitchen two floors up, but it's small
21:24 < jokeefe> That is the problem with the space
21:24 < jokeefe> http://www.daycare.com/massachusetts/
21:24 < srevilak> I guess question is: who wants to bottom line childcare?
21:24 < noe_> not me
21:25 < Bluestreak> Not even sure I will be a the event sorry
21:25 < jokeefe> :-(
21:25 < Bluestreak> Everyone knows I have cancer, right?
21:25 < noe_> i think childcare may be a no go for this con
21:26 < Bluestreak> I am very tired and likely will be getting surgery
        around then.
21:26 < jokeefe> Lets see what who we can find and decide.  Registration
        should ask if child care is needed and ask for ages
21:26 < noe_> Bluestreak:  hugs
21:26 < Bluestreak> I sent Laura a message.
21:26 < Bluestreak> ty Noe!
21:26 < jokeefe> thank you Bluestreak
21:26 < jokeefe> really hope it all goes well, Bluestreak
21:26 < Bluestreak> She owes us a favor, so hopefully she isn’t busy
        that day.
21:26 < Bluestreak> TY
21:27 < jokeefe> Suggest that we shouldn’t have younger than preschool
        age.
21:27 < Bluestreak> OK
21:27 < Bluestreak> Evan’s kid is what 5?
21:27 < jokeefe> In that range
21:27 < srevilak> Bluestreak: sorry to hear the bad news.  Hope the
        treatment goes well
21:27 < Bluestreak> Thanks!
21:28 < Bluestreak> I just expect to be tired a lot.
21:28 < srevilak> perhaps Evan knows someone that they're comfortable
        with?
21:28 < jokeefe> Will ask
21:28 < jokeefe> Web site update & Email blast - will be working on
        them tonight.  plan to have enough up for it to be workable tonight.
21:29 < jokeefe> Anything else for PirateCon? - we need new flyers
        and materials.  flags & t-shirts
21:30 < srevilak> do we want to sell flags, or just put them up around
        the room?
21:30 < jokeefe> sell
21:30 < jokeefe> we really need them for events and marches
21:31 < srevilak> I know a place that sells generic Jolly Rogers; don't
        know who does custom manufacture
21:32 < srevilak> I can pick up a few generic flags on Sunday, if that
        would be appropriate
21:32 < jokeefe> Sevan found some place that printed custom designs.
        Will look it up
21:32 < jokeefe> and email the price & details for consideration
21:32 < jokeefe> anything else on the conference?
21:35 < jokeefe> Ok, moving on to (Other) Event Planning
21:35 < jokeefe> May 2, Point to Point Camp Cryptoparty, Cambridge -
        we are doing a cryptotable.  If you haven’t offered to help, we could
        use you help
21:36 < jokeefe> May 6, International Day against DRM Standout - do we
        know where the FSF will be?  should we just choose our own place?
21:37 < js0000> maybe join up with fsf
21:37 < js0000> i do not know where they will be but can find out
21:37 < srevilak> thanks, js0000
21:37 < jokeefe> thanks
21:38 < srevilak> (they were supposed to announce something; I suppose
        they're decompressing after LibrePlanet)
21:38 < jokeefe> no doubt
21:38 < noe_> they'll probably announce within this week?
21:38 < noe_> or next week?
21:39 < jokeefe> as long as before the 25th ;-)
21:39 < srevilak> Maybe worth keeping an eye on
        https://www.defectivebydesign.org/
21:40 < srevilak> davidd: thanks for arxiv link.  Looks interesting
21:40 < jokeefe> May 17, noon, Together Boston Cryptoparty,
        Danger!Awesome, Cambridge is confirmed.  getting exact location and
        duration.  suggested GnuPG/Tor/Jitsi & 4hr.  Will see what they want
        to do.
21:41 < Bluestreak> Cool!
21:43 < jokeefe> May 29-31, Possibility of proposing a panel at the Left
        Forum, NYC - We are looking at giving a talk, maybe getting a table to
        teach crypto and looking for people to work it.
21:44 < srevilak> I registered for Left forum a few days ago.  Happy do
        help with whatever we end up doing
21:45 < noe_> I'll be  out of country mid May.  :(  But I hope you guys
        have fun at the Left Forum
21:45 < jokeefe> We get two tickets with a table.  No word from NY /
        US Pirates
21:45 < jokeefe> have a good time
21:46 < jokeefe> On Boston Pride Parade / Freedom Rally - need a sign
        up form at crew site
21:47 < jokeefe> Haven’t posted on the bills.  Plan to get to them
        next week.  Some comments on olympics on Facebook at least.
21:48 < Bluestreak> There is a thing on Easter
21:48 < noe_> this weekend?
21:48 < Bluestreak> At the “commie church” As Joan calls it.
21:49 < Bluestreak> Our event site
21:49 < Bluestreak> Kade will be speaking vs Boston 2024
21:49 < jokeefe> kade’s talk.  anyone able to write a post on it?
21:49 < Bluestreak> I will try to get the event info if anyone is
        interested.
21:49 < srevilak> http://www.communitychurchofboston.org/home/
21:50 < Bluestreak> should be easy enough to cut an paste a post.
21:50 < jokeefe> thank you!
21:51 < jokeefe> Not sure if we have a picture of Kade.
21:51 < Bluestreak> I will be doing mostly on-line work this year.
21:51 < Bluestreak> I do.
21:51 < jokeefe> Will look around
21:51 < jokeefe> good
21:51 < Bluestreak> There is one on her FB/twitter fan page
21:51 < Bluestreak> a good one
21:51 < jokeefe> ok, that is all I have.  Anything else?
21:52 < Bluestreak> Rick?
21:52 < Bluestreak> He’s serious about a video thing
21:53 < Bluestreak> If we can make some kind of two way, he can answer
        questions, too
21:53 < Bluestreak> Time diff is not a problem.
21:53 < Bluestreak> Is that do-able?
21:54 < jokeefe> Lucia talked with Rick Falkvinge about making a video
        appearance at the conference.
21:54 < srevilak> I was going to ask "who's rick"
21:54 < jokeefe> Working out the details.  Suggested during the start
        of the Pirate Strategy talk.
21:54 < Bluestreak> He loves the MPP
21:55 < srevilak> that would be very cool
21:55 < Bluestreak> all we need to know is do we have the tech?
21:55 < jokeefe> Would we be able to stream him and have other use
        the wifi?
21:55 < Bluestreak> I have not idea how to do such a thing.
21:55 < Bluestreak> Oh. Steve.
21:55 < js0000> yes, i was thinking that ...
21:55 < noe_> hmmm . . .
21:55 < igel> hm
21:55 < Bluestreak> Remember the Digital Media Conf Friday?
21:55 < igel> in deed.
21:55 < js0000> live video is non trivial
21:55 < jokeefe> 3/4G Wireless point?
21:55 < js0000> from europe ...
21:56 < igel> right
21:56  * js0000 cringes
21:56 < srevilak> I have a clear 4G modem.  Can bring that, to dedicate
        to video teleconference
21:56 < jokeefe> We should test
21:56 < Bluestreak> We talked to an activist from NYC
21:56 < Bluestreak> two ways.
21:56 < Bluestreak> Very cool.
21:56 < js0000> i expect cbc bandwidth will be maxed out for conf ...
21:56 < Bluestreak> I reached out to a number of emails from the Icelnd
        PP page but no one got back to me
21:57 < js0000> have never done video conferencing but will ask at work
21:57 < Bluestreak> *hears Greek*
21:57 < js0000> fjdiap soeifj zpzoijsww
21:57 < srevilak> js0000: my 4G does 2mbit pretty reliably.
21:57 < Bluestreak> Want me to ask Sarah who did the DMC uplink?
21:57 < jokeefe> Once we know if he can do it, we should work out the
        details and test
21:57 < Bluestreak> Se if there are available?
21:57 < js0000> i'm sure it would be great at conf if would work
21:57 < Bluestreak> they
21:57 < jokeefe> It was at Lesley so they have a good network
21:58 < js0000> srevilak: we can always try ...
21:58 < Bluestreak> Things I don’t know
21:58 < igel> there should be wifi out the window
21:59 < srevilak> js0000: worst case: google hangout, plug laptop into
        projector and PA.  Someone mans mute button
21:59 < igel> i mean... i got some M5's
21:59 < jokeefe> true, igel, but not reliabile.  sooner we try the more
        we will know.
21:59 < jokeefe> true srevilak
22:00 < js0000> i don't imagine it would work on cbc network
22:00 < js0000> but my imagination is not always aligned correctly
22:00 < js0000> that's the weak link i keep thinking about
22:00 < jokeefe> we could ask to test
22:00 < Bluestreak> Good idea
22:01 < srevilak> LibrePlanet 2014 had jacob applebaum do talk over
        video from Berlin, over tor network
22:01 < srevilak> I think this will be easier :)
22:01 < srevilak> but good to test first
22:01 < jokeefe> LibrePlanet was on lesley’s network
22:02 < Bluestreak> sigh.
22:02 < Bluestreak> Commies have poor wifi
22:02 < igel> the 4g wimax has low latency to the tower should be enough,
        last i used it was like 15mbit.. depends on the time/hour too..
22:02 < Bluestreak> Rick will be in touch with Jamie in  couple of days.
22:02 < jokeefe> Downtown boston on a Sat.
22:02 < js0000> not a signal in sight
22:03 < srevilak> If we lack video bandwidth, we do audio.
22:03 < js0000> no tourists all looking into their iphones
22:03 < jokeefe> you may be right
22:03 < igel> hmmph, but its 4g wimax
22:03 < Bluestreak> Not a bad idea. Not as post but we are Pirates
22:03 < js0000> maybe email for further discussions
22:03 < Bluestreak> posh
22:03 < jokeefe> agreed
22:03 < Bluestreak> not past
22:03 < Bluestreak> post
22:03 < Bluestreak> sigh
22:03 < srevilak> we're at time
22:04 < Bluestreak> we sure are!
22:04 < js0000> Bluestreak: be well and nice to yourself if possible
22:04 < jokeefe> motion to adjourn?
22:04 < js0000> will send compassion
22:04 < Bluestreak> Ty
22:04 < Bluestreak> 2nd
22:04 < jokeefe> thanks for joining us Bluestreak.  sure you are tired
22:05 < Bluestreak> My pleasure.
22:05 < srevilak> aye to adjourn
22:05 < Bluestreak> aye
22:05 < igel> aye
22:05 < js0000> i
22:05 < jokeefe> lol
22:05 < jokeefe> aye
22:05  * js0000 can't help myself
22:05 < Bluestreak> :-)
22:05 < jokeefe> ok motion passes, thanks all
22:05 < Bluestreak> Night
22:05 < igel> yw
22:06 < srevilak> will post notes
22:06 < jokeefe> thanks!
22:06 < jokeefe> night all