April 3rd, 2014 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search


  1. 5/9 Fundraiser
    1. Performers
    2. DJ
    3. Logistics - pad
    4. Publicity
      1. 1/4 page
      2. posters
  2. Events organizing
    1. PAX Cryptoparty
  3. Events to attend?
    1. Waves of Action Boston


  1. 2014 Campaign
    1. Status - 2 candidates gathering signatures
    2. Helping Joe & Noe
  2. Tech Issues
    1. CiviCRM - Jamie recommends we get a version of this setup for us and point masspirates.net at it.
    2. BitPay
    3. Voter registration app
  3. Support, Outreach & Finances
    1. Finance update
    2. Event checklist


  1. April 12th PAX Cryptoparty
  2. April 26th, noon, Jobs Not Jails: Rally to End Mass Incarceration and Fund Job Creation, Boston Common
  3. May 9-10, Security Bsides Boston, Calling for papers
  4. May 17th Together Boston Festival
  5. May 18th Together Boston Cryptoparty, General Assembly, Boston
    1. Looking for hands on trainers
  6. May 24th Boston Security Conference - James speaking at it
  7. May 24th, March Against Monsanto, Boston
  8. September 2014 Conference - Need location & date before May 9th


  • Bluelustreak (Lucia Fiero)
  • noe (Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville)
  • shep (marc shepard, somerville)
  • Plantzz_ (Leilani Mroczkowski, Somerville)
  • lgel (william fleurant, arl)
  • jokeefe (James O'Keefe, Somerville)
  • Kendra (Kendra Moyer, Detroit)
  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)


  • davidd
  • ageis
  • zby


  1. 5/9 Fundraiser
    1. MC - Chance is all set
    2. Performers - Jamie will contact the ones who expressed an interest. Lucia will post a notice to Berkeley. Capioera group is interested and Chris is interested in doing his standup routine.
    3. DJ - Mr. Precision
    4. Poster & handbills - Jamie will send details to KM
  2. 2014 Campaign
    1. Noe at at least 96 valid, with more not yet verified. Multiple people are helping gather signatures
    2. Joe is making progress. 15 just today
  3. PAX Cryptoparty
    1. We will meet at the Level 1 SE Lobby
    2. srevilak will bring a wifi we can setup so people can get the software
  4. Tech Issues
    1. Srevilak working on CiviCRM
    2. jokeefe will ask js0000 about voter reg. app
  5. Finance update - $307 in bank, $634 in in-kinds so far this year. We are meeting with an accountant who will help us work out a financial plan.
  6. Endorsed the Waves of Action Boston event

Meeting Minutes


[9:09pm] jokeefe: ids - James O'Keefe, Somerville [9:09pm] igel_ joined the chat room. [9:09pm] jokeefe: agenda - http://masspirates.org/wiki/April_3rd,_2014_IRC_Meeting [9:09pm] Bluelustreak: Lucia Fiero [9:10pm] shep: marc shepard, somerville [9:10pm] jokeefe: he igel_ [9:10pm] igel_: william fleurant, arl [9:10pm] igel_: hey whats up [9:10pm] Plantzz_: Leilani Mroczkowski, Somerville [9:10pm] noe: Noelani Kamelamela, Somerville [9:10pm] igel left the chat room. (Remote host closed the connection) [9:10pm] igel_ is now known as igel. [9:10pm] igel is now known as Igel. [9:10pm] jokeefe: 1. Decisions [9:10pm] jokeefe: 5/9 Fundraiser [9:11pm] jokeefe: Performers - Have list - contacting them, delayed by sickness, will be done tonight [9:12pm] Kendra joined the chat room. [9:12pm] jokeefe: ahoy, Kendra! [9:12pm] shep left the chat room. (Client Quit) [9:12pm] Kendra: Hi, Kendra Moyer, Detroit [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: Capioera guy remains very interested [9:13pm] jokeefe: good to know. did you post the notice to Berkeley? [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: He pinged me today [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: Me? [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: No. [9:13pm] Bluelustreak: I will though [9:13pm] jokeefe: thanks [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: I thought the plan wuz diffnt [9:14pm] shep joined the chat room. [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: recalulating [9:14pm] jokeefe: thought we divided the work [9:14pm] jokeefe: We are set for the DJ - shep's friend agreed [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: Coolness [9:14pm] Bluelustreak: And Chance agreed to rap [9:15pm] shep: nice [9:15pm] jokeefe: And Chris said he could do stand up [9:15pm] jokeefe: shep, does Mr. Precision have a web site? [9:18pm] jokeefe: moving on since shep answered out of bounds [9:18pm] noe: ok [9:18pm] jokeefe: publicity - [9:19pm] jokeefe: will check with KM and give details [9:20pm] jokeefe: we can deal with logistics closer to event. - folks can add things at https://piratenpad.de/p/Fun-Raiser-20plans [9:21pm] jokeefe: Bluelustreak - did you reach out to the Pirate who offered to help with food? [9:21pm] Bluelustreak: Which pirate would that be? [9:22pm] jokeefe: Bobbi Nicosia [9:22pm] jokeefe: on Facebook event [9:22pm] Bluelustreak: Ah! [9:22pm] Bluelustreak: No I have not been in contact. [9:22pm] jokeefe: Which if folks could join it would be great - https://www.facebook.com/events/630704920299112/ [9:23pm] jokeefe: I can if you want. [9:23pm] Bluelustreak: I should be seeing her tomorrow.In person is so much more personable... [9:23pm] Kendra: Just a note, this Pirate Pad does not have the new date for the fundraiser. [9:23pm] jokeefe: oh great! all the better. thank you [9:24pm] jokeefe: does now [9:24pm] jokeefe: gonna hold off on PAX Cryptoparty event for steve to show [9:24pm] jokeefe: and go to 2014 campaign [9:25pm] jokeefe: noe, you want to give a status? [9:26pm] Bluelustreak: Joe got 15 today FYI [9:26pm] noe: Sure! We're officially at 96, I think the number will reach 100 by next week. We still need more signatures, but we're almost there. [9:26pm] jokeefe: 96 valid, cool [9:26pm] Bluelustreak: Talking to JC on the phone its all we plan to do this w/e [9:26pm] jokeefe: Great work, Joe! [9:27pm] noe: We still need campaign staff, but I think volunteers I already have are solely focused on getting signatures correctly (important) [9:27pm] noe: Good job Joe! [9:27pm] Plantzz_: sorry new to this all here, but if someone could briefly explain what the signatures are for that'd be awesome! [9:27pm] jokeefe: so, Plantzz_, lgel and step are in the Somerville area …. [9:27pm] noe: I shall see about converting these volunteers to other functions later [9:27pm] srevilak joined the chat room. [9:28pm] jokeefe: Plantzz_ - noe is running for state rep. in Somerville (@votenoelani on twitter) [9:28pm] noe: In order to run for office, candidates must get physical signatures on nomination sheets. [9:28pm] jokeefe: ahoy srevilak [9:28pm] jokeefe: 150 valid signatures in all [9:28pm] • srevilak waves `hi' [9:29pm] noe: The signatures have to be from registered voters in the appropriate wards-precincts-counties-whathaveyous [9:29pm] Plantzz_: Ahh, okay gotcha! [9:29pm] jokeefe: which means you need ~300 raw signatures, though we have had a better validity rate [9:29pm] noe: There are other limitations, and I usually discuss them in person with interested volunteers [9:30pm] Igel left the chat room. (Quit: got to run!) [9:30pm] jokeefe: one's are Wards 6, 5, 3 and most of 2 [9:30pm] Plantzz_: I'd be happy to talk to you in person, noe. I'm in ward 5 [9:30pm] Bluelustreak left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [9:30pm] jokeefe: We also have a Somerville Pirates meeting on the 9th of every month [9:30pm] noe: I'm Ward 5 as well! Let me know when you're free, Plantzz_ [9:30pm] jokeefe: in Davis Sq. [9:31pm] jokeefe: yay, Plantzz_ ! [9:31pm] shep: I should be able to make this month's 9th meeting [9:31pm] jokeefe: cool. I'll add you to the list if you want. [9:31pm] noe: I'm hilo@alum.mit.edu (and I trust everyone here), so feel free to let me know when you have free time, and I'd love to chat. [9:31pm] shep: please [9:31pm] Plantzz_: yeah i was planning on attending. saw it on twitter [9:32pm] noe: Hi srevilak! [9:33pm] srevilak: hi noe [9:34pm] noe: Interested people should hit me up via email to ask about volunteering and/or chatting about campaigning [9:34pm] Plantzz_: thanks! [9:35pm] noe: I'm assuming that we have no more info from Joe's campaign right now since they're not here. We should probably move on to Tech issues [9:35pm] jokeefe: aye [9:35pm] srevilak: [off-topic] ageis is quoted in http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/03/barrett-brown-plea-deal-stratfor-wired [9:36pm] ageis: srevilak [9:36pm] jokeefe: good for ageis! [9:36pm] jokeefe: On to PAX Cryptoparty [9:36pm] jokeefe: we need to pick a location [9:37pm] jokeefe: though probably that might just be me [9:37pm] srevilak: jokeefe: there's a common area in the conference, no? [9:37pm] jokeefe: several yes, trying to get the link for the map [9:38pm] noe: bcec is quite far away from anything else [9:38pm] srevilak: I'll be able to make it. At least for a couple hours [9:38pm] noe: I recommend finding an area within it, other venues are hard to get to/hard to have a group of people in [9:39pm] jokeefe: got it - http://massconvention.com/assets/pdf/floorplans/BCEC_Floorplans__Capacities_Meeting_Level_1.pdf [9:40pm] jokeefe: NE Lobby A or SE Lobby B2 areas were best [9:41pm] jokeefe: The other side tends to be near the food so is really busy [9:41pm] jokeefe: the upper floors have less space, though the lower floor registration area is a possibility [9:41pm] srevilak: I've only walked through North lobby, so I don't have any good input to offer [9:42pm] noe: I'd say pick one and plant a flag (not a real flag) [9:42pm] jokeefe: Got any time to do a walk through, assuming we can get in? [9:43pm] jokeefe: Probably SE Lobby then, noe [9:43pm] noe: SE is good, then. How are we publicizing? [9:43pm] jokeefe: blog post, FB/Twitter/Email, then fliers at PAX possibly [9:44pm] jokeefe: that and a banner at it [9:44pm] srevilak: have we decided on a time? [9:45pm] jokeefe: doors open 10am [9:45pm] jokeefe: things get less crazy after that [9:45pm] jokeefe: I suggest noon [9:45pm] srevilak: how about starting right before conference lunch break? [9:46pm] jokeefe: here is the schedule - there is no lunch break - http://east.paxsite.com/schedule [9:46pm] jokeefe: 72,000 people cannot have a lunch break at the same time [9:47pm] jokeefe: do we want to setup a pirate wifi to get people the software? [9:48pm] noe: that sounds like a cool idea. who would be in charge of that? [9:48pm] srevilak: I have a spare WAP -- could bring it [9:49pm] srevilak: I assume this would be a small isolated network, not connected to internet [9:49pm] srevilak: correct? [9:49pm] noe: i think that would be safest and easiest [9:50pm] srevilak: if that's the case, I can set up downloads via http server on my laptop [9:50pm] srevilak: pretty easy to do [9:50pm] jokeefe: yes, not connected to their wifi [9:50pm] jokeefe: Might want to name it NSA Honeypot or something like that [9:50pm] jokeefe: then people might start asking around about it [9:51pm] srevilak: Will give it some thought [9:51pm] jokeefe: Or could be Pirate Party, too [9:51pm] srevilak: I'll take care of wireless [9:52pm] noe: Any other logistics for PAX Cryptoparty? [9:52pm] jokeefe: great, done with that [9:52pm] jokeefe: Tech Issues [9:52pm] srevilak: I'd like to work on a fundraiser flyer, so we have some to hand out [9:52pm] jokeefe: srevilak - any luck with CiviCRM [9:53pm] srevilak: jokeefe: haven't had a chance to work on it during the last few days. Hopefully soon [9:53pm] jokeefe: thanks for the update [9:54pm] jokeefe: will ask js0000 about the voter reg app [9:54pm] jokeefe: Support, Outreach & Finances [9:54pm] jokeefe: Finance update? [9:54pm] srevilak: Sounds like we're planning to get together w/Lisa [9:55pm] jokeefe: yes, need to pick the date [9:55pm] srevilak: currently $307 in bank [9:55pm] noe: (we're rich!) [9:55pm] srevilak: and $634 in in-kinds so far this year [9:55pm] jokeefe: beyond our wildest dreams! [9:56pm] jokeefe: received the fliers, so we are fine in that area. [9:56pm] noe: (could you imagine if we tried to rent a physical room for our weekly meetings? O_o) [9:56pm] jokeefe: $10-30/mtg [9:57pm] srevilak: we'd have to cover it with hat passing [9:57pm] jokeefe: as long as we account for it [9:57pm] jokeefe: We skipped - Waves of Action Boston - https://www.facebook.com/groups/waveofactionboston/ [9:58pm] srevilak: can someone summarize? (tried to look at [fb] page, wasn't public) [9:58pm] jokeefe: yeah noticed that [9:58pm] noe: Its a nighttime activist gathering based around MLK Jr's legacy [9:59pm] jokeefe: http://waveofaction.org/ [9:59pm] noe: They organized it for the date since its . . . no good way to say this . . . his assassination [10:01pm] jokeefe: We supported Occupy, I don't have any objection to supporting this event [10:01pm] srevilak: https://www.facebook.com/events/328663730592223/?_fb_noscript=1 [10:01pm] noe: The local one is set in Dudly Square, but the overall 3 month long sustained action around the world hopes to harness crowdsourcing into connecting activist groups [10:01pm] noe: *Dudley [10:01pm] noe: (durdly, herply derply) [10:02pm] srevilak: I'm in favor of supporting [10:02pm] jokeefe: Dewey Sq. [10:02pm] noe: Does anyone here object? [10:02pm] noe: Dewdrly [10:02pm] jokeefe: 2nd [10:02pm] noe: (derp) [10:02pm] jokeefe: going once [10:03pm] jokeefe: going twice [10:03pm] Kendra: No objections, other than them ignoring Black History Month and MLK's birthdya, but I expect as much. [10:04pm] noe: *high five for Kendra* [10:04pm] jokeefe: aye, though that doesn't seem to be the case with the Boston event [10:05pm] noe: I guess we support it. The spirit of it, if not all the details. [10:05pm] jokeefe: seeing no blocking objections, endorsement passes. [10:05pm] Kendra: Aye [10:06pm] jokeefe: endorsement is the spirit, action is action ... [10:06pm] jokeefe: we are at time. Thanks to noe for helping to keep us on track. [10:06pm] noe: I try! But I'm so good at making typos with my fingers. [10:06pm] jokeefe: any other issues folk want to bring up? [10:07pm] Kendra: I might be back for the fund raiser, i'll keep you all posted. Nite. [10:07pm] noe: Bye Kendra! [10:07pm] Kendra left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed) [10:07pm] jokeefe: motion to adjourn? [10:07pm] noe: so motioned! [10:08pm] srevilak: syr [10:08pm] srevilak: ate [10:08pm] srevilak: aye [10:08pm] jokeefe: aye! [10:08pm] srevilak: (bad cat) [10:08pm] jokeefe: motion passes, then [10:08pm] jokeefe: thanks all! [10:08pm] Plantzz_ left the chat room. (Quit: Web client closed)