April 3rd, 2018 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search



Email newsletter

This week's email newsletter

  • April 9th deadline for Right of Repair bill
  • FOSTA Update - with survey on whether we should moderate comments or not?
  • Pirate News Videos
  • Milford Town Elections Videos
  • Call for teachers for MOS cryptoparty
  • Signup for Boston Pride Parade

Next week's email newsletter

  • Signup for Boston Pride Parade
  • Pirate News Videos
  • Yearly Conference survey


Video Newsletter

2018 Elections

Yearly Conference

Once we set dates for the trainings we will put up a poll asking about our 2018 conference and whether to change it into several regional conferences.

The electronic election for our officers went well in 2017, and we should consider doing it again. Such a change would allow us to decentralize our yearly conference and hold multiple regional conferences in different parts of the state. We could schedule monthly conferences starting in March or April. We could limit them to about 4-5 hours long, with the first half being training and the second half being discussion. If we want to go this route, we should ask our members soon and see who wants to organize their regional conference.

Computer Donations


Statements In Process

  • MA Bill H.3641: An Act relative to electronic tolling - Approved our opposition to it. Past position is to remove the tolls on the Pike since it has long been paid for.
  • US S.1241 - Combating Money Laundering, Terrorist Financing, and Counterfeiting Act of 2017 - Approved our opposition to S.1241. Need statement (Joe)

Other To Dos

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.


  • Review regular IRC meeting day. Poll sent to email list - Sent (jokeefe)
  • email Loomio invite to supporters (jokeefe)
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds)
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak)
  • finish setup of myBB (jokeefe)
  • install mattermost as slack alternative (jokeefe)

Mayfirst is looking at setting up a Discourse instance we could use.

Upcoming Events

  • 4/8, Somerville Pirate Brunch, noon
  • 4/25, 6-9pm, Somerville Cryptoparty, The Sprouts, 339R Summer Street, Somerville
  • 4/?, ?pm, Democracy/IT meeting. Email info@masspirates.org for the location
  • April/May, Cambridge Pirate Meetup


  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • Pirate_14150/Joe: Onoroski, Joseph Lowell
  • Malt: samuel capradae, worcester


  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr




[9:05pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_3rd,_2018_IRC_Meeting
[9:05pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:05pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:05pm] Pirate_14150: Onoroski, Joseph  Lowell
[9:05pm] Malt: samuel capradae, worcester
[9:06pm] jokeefe: Anything to add?
[9:07pm] Pirate_14150: Just apologies for slacking
[9:07pm] Malt: i haven't finished the solidarity statements yet either
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Life happens
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Email newsletter
[9:08pm] jokeefe: Any topics to add?
[9:09pm] Pirate_14150: Any movement on the budget?
[9:09pm] Pirate_14150 is now known as Joe.
[9:09pm] Malt: safe patient limits and nondiscrimination protections for transfolk?
[9:09pm] jokeefe: I haven’t done anything on it, sorry
[9:10pm] jokeefe: are those bills or do you have any links?
[9:10pm] Malt: https://safepatientlimits.org/
[9:11pm] Malt: freedom MA is leading the nondiscrimination campaign, there's a referrendum in the next election to strip protections from transfolk
[9:11pm] Malt: https://www.freedommassachusetts.org/
[9:11pm] Malt: they're the solidarity statements i was discussing
[9:13pm] jokeefe: The patient limits bill should be on the ballot
[9:14pm] Malt: i think they both are
[9:15pm] jokeefe: SJC is deciding whether the Safe patient limits ballot measure should be on the ballot https://safepatientlimits.org/news/sjc-to-decide-whether-nurse-staffing-question-can-go-on-2018-ballot/
[9:18pm] Malt: oh! missed that development
[9:18pm] Joe: My partner works as a nurse, so we both fully support this.
[9:18pm] jokeefe: I certainly would support basic protections for our transgender neighbors
[9:18pm] Joe: Often the corps want to maximize profits without thought to the human cost.
[9:19pm] jokeefe: I have no problem supporting either
[9:19pm] Joe: The only challenge is that there is already a huge shortage of nurses already
[9:19pm] Malt: i'm doing a story slam thursday, i hope to get to the statements by the weekend
[9:19pm] jokeefe: We could train more
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Please do. I can put them in the email for next week
[9:20pm] Joe: I also support both. Transgenders as everyone deserve the same rights as us all.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: Anything else to add to the emails?
[9:20pm] Joe: Video requests?
[9:21pm] Joe: Is there a video they would like us to cover?
[9:21pm] jokeefe: Ok, will add it to the survey
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Projects
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Video Newsletter
[9:22pm] jokeefe: Videos are up
[9:22pm] Joe: Yay!
[9:23pm] Malt: woooo!!
[9:23pm] Joe: I saw the one I did
[9:23pm] Joe: Only partially watched it though.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: Asked Dan if he could edit old Pirate Conference videos
[9:24pm] Joe: Yes, I saw that.  Any chance we could live stream a crypto?
[9:25pm] Malt: good thinking
[9:25pm] Joe: I was hoping to come to the next one in Som
[9:25pm] jokeefe: cool
[9:26pm] jokeefe: We could record the speakers
[9:26pm] Malt: interviews with the municipal net folk?
[9:26pm] Joe: Also a good idea
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Good idea, but it would be better when we have something to show
[9:27pm] Joe: We could make them separate vids
[9:27pm] jokeefe: Agreed
[9:28pm] Joe: I would like to at some point hit the streets in different towns just to both create awareness and get the word out with what we are doing.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Sounds good to me
[9:28pm] jokeefe: Joe, would you be able to post your email about the videos by this weekend?
[9:28pm] Joe: You mean on the dark web content?
[9:29pm] Joe: I should be able to. I took off a few days to get caught up.
[9:29pm] jokeefe: Thank you
[9:32pm] jokeefe: 2018 Elections - Still working on it. Put it on hold to deal with other issues
[9:34pm] jokeefe: Yearly Conference - Putting together the survey for next week
[9:35pm] Joe: great
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Computer Donations
[9:36pm] jokeefe: Last we talked we were going to see about other places to donate equipment.
[9:37pm] jokeefe: I’ll add that to one of the emails
[9:39pm] Malt: the only non-library computer lab i know in worc just closed 
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Dang. How come?
[9:42pm] Malt: cost of the space i think. the dude who pulled it together left the organization
[9:43pm] jokeefe: ah
[9:43pm] jokeefe: did the computers go to a good home?
[9:43pm] Joe: ^
[9:44pm] Malt: didn't think to ask
[9:45pm] jokeefe: no worries, just curious
[9:45pm] Malt: I can ask around
[9:45pm] jokeefe: somerville pirates brunch on sunday
[9:46pm] jokeefe: meshnet meeting on the 21st
[9:46pm] jokeefe: that is all I have
[9:47pm] Joe: I have a baby on my chest.
[9:47pm] jokeefe: ooooo
[9:48pm] Malt: congrats!
[9:48pm] Malt: i'm all set
[9:48pm] Joe: ty
[9:48pm] jokeefe: shall we adjourn?
[9:49pm] Joe: I second
[9:49pm] Malt: night folks
[9:49pm] jokeefe: have a great night
[9:50pm] Joe: Aye, good night