April 4th, 2017 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

Decisions/Endorsements

Projects

Conference

Campaign Workshops

Local Surveillance Ordinances

Projects On Hold For the Moment

Fundraising

Planks

Message board application

CCTV Camera Map

Looking at organizing a map-a-thon.

Together Boston Meshnet

MAAPL Fight Foreclosure Campaign

Upcoming Events


See: 2017 calendar

Participants

  • srevilak (Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA)
  • jokeefe (James O’Keefe, Somerville)
  • nineeighths (G, Lowell)
  • moses (Moses S, West Tisbury, MA)
  • igel (William Fleurant, Arlington)

Observers

  • davidd
  • papegaai
  • Techrev

Summary

The Digital Security 101 for immigrants workshops went well, especially the Friday workshop.

Piratecon. Current proposed schedule is PirateCon 2017 Topics.

Campaign workshops. We have one schedule on Apr 25th. Joe T will be able to edit video.

Surveillance ordinances. Somerville looks like it's going forward; the Mayor is supportive of it. Cambridge is moving slowly.

To Dos

  • Write to panelists. Make sure they're okay with proposed times. See if they'd like to retitle their panel.
  • Piratecon code of conduct
  • Decide which planks to work on during breakout groups
  • We'll need volunteers, esp for setup and registration
  • Press outreach
  • Alternate plans for streaming bandwidth?
  • Need to assemble list of stuff to bring. (Should be an etherpad floating around with last year's list)

Minutes

 
21:04 < jokeefe> agenda -
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_4th,_2017_IRC_Meeting
21:04 < papegaai> Title: April 4th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:04 < jokeefe> ids
21:04 < jokeefe> James O’Keefe, Somerville
21:04 < srevilak> Steve Revilak, Arlington, MA
21:04 < moses> Moses S, West Tisbury, MA
21:05 < jokeefe> Anything to add?
21:05 < nineeighths> G, Lowell
21:06 < srevilak> nothing to add here
21:06 < moses> nor here
21:07 < igel> William Fleurant, Arlington
21:07 < srevilak> hey, igel
21:07 < igel> o/
21:07 < jokeefe> ahoy igel
21:07 < jokeefe> Review
21:08 < jokeefe> The Digital Security 101 for immigrants workshops
        went well
21:08 < jokeefe> especially friday
21:10 < jokeefe> Skipping to Projects
21:10 < jokeefe> Conference
21:11 < srevilak> https://masspirates.org/wiki/PirateCon_2017_Topics
21:11 < papegaai> Title: PirateCon 2017 Topics - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:11 < jokeefe> any updates?
21:11 < srevilak> We have two scheduling requests.
21:11 < nineeighths> Uhuru? please tell me that's a sick joke
21:12 < jokeefe> Anyone can ask to give a lightning talk
21:12 < srevilak> Next week, should have quick meeting with folks at
        community church, for a walk through
21:13 < srevilak> That will be either Wed or Fri morning
21:13 < jokeefe> I hope to make that
21:13 < srevilak> jokeefe: I proposed Wed or Fri at 9am
21:13 < jokeefe> ok
21:14 < srevilak> hope to hear back from them tomorrow.  Will let you know
21:14 < jokeefe> thanks
21:14 < srevilak> Seems like next steps are doing the schedule, and
        perhaps working on press outreach
21:15 < jokeefe> yes
21:15 < srevilak> I can propose half a schedule, if that would be
        appropriate :)
21:16 < jokeefe> sure
21:17 < srevilak> Two panels have to be "later in the day"
21:17 < jokeefe> updated FOIA Nuts and Bolts
21:17 < srevilak> propose organizing  @ 2:20 and state of surveillance
        at 4:10
21:18 < srevilak> Policy break out groups seems like a good way to close
        the day
21:18 < srevilak> That's my half-schedule proposal
21:19 < jokeefe> Works for me. will check with FOIA folks
21:19 < srevilak> If foia folks asked for noon, early afternoon, we
        could do that at 1:30
21:21  * srevilak penciled these in to the draft schedule
21:21 < jokeefe> will check
21:21 < srevilak> ok
21:21 < srevilak> what do we want to open with?
21:22 < jokeefe> I wouldn’t do organizing and electoral action back
        to back
21:22 < nineeighths> sorry to interject here... Did the character from
        Voter Choice MA make it to the meeting last week? i got siderailed by
        an eviction situation (not mine) so i didn't make it to chat
21:22 < srevilak> nineeighths: he didn't make it to IRC, but we exchanged
        a couple of email messages
21:23 < nineeighths> ok word. :)
21:23 < jokeefe> I would say start with Electorial Action or Art and
        Liberation
21:24 < srevilak> Art and liberation seems like a good place to start
21:24 < jokeefe> Then Electoral Action
21:25 < jokeefe> then Fake News
21:25 < jokeefe> ?
21:25 < srevilak> Seems okay to me
21:25 < srevilak> moses, nineeighths, igel : any thoughts
21:25 < srevilak> (refresh
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/PirateCon_2017_Topics to see it listed)
21:25 < papegaai> Title: PirateCon 2017 Topics - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:26 < igel> 1sec
21:26 < igel> was looking at planks repo heh..
21:26 < srevilak> igel: yes, planks repo needs work
21:29 < igel> well.. id want some things moved later in day, but thats
        only cause i'll be arriving late :/
21:29 < jokeefe> lol, which ones?
21:29 < igel> heh, i think electoral action is important, so after lunch
21:30 < jokeefe> Streaming Progress: how goes it srevilak?
21:30 < srevilak> I think we're in pretty good shape
21:30 < jokeefe> do we need more networking bandwidth?
21:31 < srevilak> I'm planning to do a different tech setup than we've
        used at CC in the past
21:31 < srevilak> my mixer and camera front and center.  Mics go into
        my mixer, and a/v gear
21:31 < srevilak> Will run a separate feed out for PA
21:32 < srevilak> WRT to bandwidth, I have a 4GLTE hotspot I'm planning
        to bring
21:32 < srevilak> Can use that for streaming, with CC wireless as fallback
21:32 < srevilak> If there are other ideas WRT to bandwidth, I'd be
        eager to hear them
21:34 < srevilak> igel: any thoughts on wireless bandwidth? :)
21:34 < igel> aah
21:35 < igel> yea.. hmm
21:36 < srevilak> If you have any ideas between now and then, please
        drop me a line
21:36 < igel> i'll see and /msg or w
21:36 < igel> yeah ok
21:36 < srevilak> thx
21:37 < jokeefe> So lets get the schedule and titles to the speakers
        and get them to sign off by end of week
21:38 < srevilak> ok.  jokeefe: if you can contact FOIA speakers, I can
        get in touch with the rest
21:39 < jokeefe> will email tonight
21:39 < jokeefe> important to get the titles soon
21:39 < srevilak> titles?
21:39 < jokeefe> for the talks
21:40 < srevilak> Since we've grouped the talks into panels, could we
        go with the panel titles?
21:41 < jokeefe> They seem too simple
21:41 < jokeefe> Best to ask the speakers if they are fine with them?
21:42 < srevilak> I see what you mean.  Will ask for title proposals
21:42 < jokeefe> thanks
21:43 < jokeefe> I have a call on Thu with some folks who want to help
        with media outreach
21:43 < srevilak> thx
21:43 < srevilak> I've been jotting down to-dos at
        https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_4th,_2017_IRC_Meeting#To_Dos
21:43 < papegaai> Title: April 4th, 2017 IRC Meeting - Mass Pirate Wiki
        (at masspirates.org)
21:44 < jokeefe> Campaign Workshops - We have one scheduled in WMass on
        the 25th
21:44 < jokeefe> JoeT has time to work on the videos
21:46 < jokeefe> Local Surveillance Ordinances
21:46 < jokeefe> Somerville looks like it is going forward
21:47 < jokeefe> Cambridge is moving slowly
21:47 < srevilak> what's happening in Somerville?
21:47 < jokeefe> Mayor is supportive of it
21:49 < jokeefe> May not go far enough
21:51 < igel> ok cheers hey i have to afk
21:51 < jokeefe> that’s all I have
21:51 < igel> :) ill poke together on topic
21:53 < jokeefe> anything else to add?
21:53 < srevilak> nothing here
21:54 < srevilak> motion to adjourn?
21:55 < jokeefe> aye
21:55 < jokeefe> 2nd
21:55 < jokeefe> all in favor?
21:55 < srevilak> aye
21:55 < nineeighths> aye
21:56 < jokeefe> aye
21:56 < jokeefe> thanks all
21:57 < jokeefe> do you have the notes?
21:57 < srevilak> yup