April 8th, 2020 IRC Meeting

From Mass Pirate Wiki
Jump to navigationJump to search

Review

How are we?

Decisions/Endorsements

Boston Pride Festival

Canceled for this year. Roll over to next year or get reimbursement?

What more to do during the shutdown?

Join Pirate Parties International?

Projects

Goals for Q3 2020:

  • Organize meetups
  • Organize Fundraiser
  • Organize candidate trainings
  • Revise platform

Regional Meetings/Events

All meetings on hold due to Covid-19.

Leader: jokeefe

-Lowell Meetup 3/21-

  • Boston (jokeefe)
  • Worcester (Malt)
  • Boston Pride Festival
    • table booked
    • setup signup sheet
    • Announce
    • Need to purchase insurance
    • Need volunteer sign up form
    • Tie to an activity, mapping the CCTV cameras in Boston or along the Pride parade route?

Video Newsletter/Podcast

Leader: Joseph

  • Next pirate news recording scheduled for Sunday, 6pm unless changed

Computer Donations

On hold

  • srevilak/jokeefe working on sign up form.
  • Joe Location still being worked on.

Bills

No clue where things are now due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Right to Repair

  • out of committee
  • next email will urge supporters to call their state senator/rep. and urge them to support it
  • see if people willing to setup meeting with reps.

Facial Recognition and other bills still in committee.

Platform Discussion

Moved to 2020 Platform Discussion

Democracy and Dogfood (Tech)

Next meeting will be 4/12, 2-4pm. It will be on-line. jokeefe will post an announcement.

Topics are:

  • find discussion/voting system;
  • update CCTV cameras to include older cameras outside North America we didn't include;
  • write an app to record the location/ownership of CCTV cameras;
  • set up torrents for PirateCon videos (creynolds);
  • post remaining audio for PirateCon talks (srevilak).

Tabled Projects

National Party

Boston Sex Worker Petition

FOSS Tutorials

Worcester farm group is interested in having some FOSS tutorials. Perhaps:

  • how to do basic labels in GIMP,
  • work through a few sample spreadsheets related to seed cost and
  • similarly applicable real-world situations, depending on the needs of the group

Basically how to do graph design & product management with open source tools. Malt will put together a one paragraph description of what we need and we can mail it out to ask pirates to help.

Upcoming Events

  • 4/12, 2pm-4pm, Democracy and Dogfood (Tech) Meeting, on-line, 51 Davis Sq, Somerville
  • 4/29, 7-9pm, Boston Cryptoparty, Encuentro 5, Boston
  • Summer 2020, ?, Boston Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Worcester Meetup
  • Summer 2020, ?, Springfield Meetup
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Culture House, Harvard Square
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNe Tech Meeting, Encuentro 5, Boston
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting, Democracy Center, Cambridge
  •  ?/?, 7-9pm, Mass MeshNet Tech Meeting

Participants

  • Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
  • jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
  • srevilak
  • Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
  • mikey: .., Somerville


Observers

  • davidd
  • ChanServ
  • hvxgr
  • Deffy

Summary

We will roll over the Boston Pride Festival Table to 2021.

Suggestions for things we can do:

  • Get list of pirate voters in your area from your city election department or town clerk
  • Mail them a welcome letter
  • Setup weekly video conference

We agreed to join the Pirate Parties International as an observer. jokeefe will submit the application and tell Joe the membership fee.

Minutes

 
[9:15pm] jokeefe: Agenda: https://masspirates.org/wiki/April_8th,_2020_IRC_Meeting
[9:15pm] jokeefe: ids
[9:15pm] Joe: Joseph Onoroski, Lowell
[9:15pm] jokeefe: James O’Keefe, Somerville
[9:16pm] jokeefe: anything to add?
[9:16pm] Joe: Only to table Regional Meetings until Covid-19 is over with.
[9:16pm] Joe: So Motion to table Regional Meetings until further notice.
[9:16pm] jokeefe: yeah, didn’t move it, but it is noted in it
[9:17pm] jokeefe: although we could have virtual meetings...
[9:17pm] Joe: We have those anyways in the form of our video newsletter
[9:17pm] jokeefe: Let’s hold off on it for the moment, if that is ok
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Guess we have already coved the How are we? section
[9:18pm] Joe: lol, yeah
[9:18pm] jokeefe: Decisions/Endorsements
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Boston Pride Festival - canceled
[9:19pm] jokeefe: Should we roll over our table to 2021 or should I get a refund?
[9:20pm] Joe: I would say we should roll over, since this is a group we have actively supported for a long time.
[9:20pm] jokeefe: I agree.
[9:21pm] Joe: Plus fees tend to increase over time, which means if there are any potential increases we would be free of them.
[9:21pm] jokeefe: true
[9:21pm] jokeefe: any objections?
[9:22pm] jokeefe: seeing none, I will contact them and tell them of our decision.
[9:22pm] jokeefe: What more to do during the shutdown?
[9:23pm] Joe: We could make a donation to a MA hospital if you like, though our funds are limited.
[9:23pm] jokeefe: I’ll confess to being focused on family/work/local mutual aid efforts
[9:23pm] jokeefe: More thinking about connecting with our supporters
[9:24pm] Joe: We are a political group, not health care workers.  I am sure everyone will understand if we are not running out in the streets to help them.
[9:24pm] jokeefe: I got the list of pirate voters in somerville, so I thought I would mail them a welcome letter and see if I could get pirates to connect locally on-line
[9:24pm] Joe: Besides, there is little we can do to help much other than local mutual aid efforts.
[9:25pm] mikey: I live in somerville
[9:25pm] jokeefe: ahoy mikey!
[9:25pm] Joe: Ahoy!
[9:25pm] mikey: well I am staying in Maine for the lockdown
[9:25pm] mikey: ahoy!
[9:25pm] jokeefe: how are things there?
[9:25pm] Joe: ^
[9:26pm] mikey: going to see about moving back to Somerville when things cool down. I miss my rock gym. Things are generally pretty good. i found out today that I'm not getting furloughed so that's good.
[9:26pm] jokeefe: one of my neighbors is doing work at their place there while this is going on
[9:26pm] mikey: Maine was gorgeous today
[9:26pm] jokeefe: glad to hear. Do you work there or in MA?
[9:27pm] mikey: yeah. I am working remotely.
[9:27pm] mikey: normally work at the MFA
[9:27pm] jokeefe: heard they are closed until June or July
[9:27pm] mikey: yep
[9:27pm] jokeefe: you can reach me at jokeefe@jamesokeefe.org, BTW
[9:28pm] mikey: okay. REDACTED
[9:28pm] jokeefe: cool. will email you
[9:28pm] mikey: hopefully I'm on your list of pirate voters already
[9:28pm] Joe: Jokeefe, how did you pull a list of people registered as pirates? I'll do the same if possible.
[9:28pm] jokeefe: i’ll check
[9:28pm] mikey: I know I'm registered as a pirate
[9:28pm] jokeefe: wonderful
[9:29pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:29pm] Malt: Sorry I'm late
[9:29pm] jokeefe: I just asked for a copy of the city census (for mutual aid stuff), and they just sent it to me.
[9:29pm] Joe: no worries Malt
[9:29pm] jokeefe: ahow
[9:29pm] Joe: Ahoy!
[9:29pm] mikey: ahoy!
[9:29pm] Malt: Sam capradae, Worcester
[9:30pm] jokeefe: It is exported in | delimited format and will import into a spreadsheet like Open Office or Excel. Just specify the | delimiter and make sure the zipcode fields are imported as text, else you lose the starting 0
[9:31pm] jokeefe: now I need to go get stamps
[9:31pm] jokeefe: malt, we were talking about things we can do to reach out to supporters beyond the regular emailings, social media and blog posts
[9:32pm] jokeefe: one idea is mailing welcome letters to Pirate voters
[9:32pm] jokeefe: BTW: our designation character is X.
[9:32pm] jokeefe: D Democrate, R Republican, etc.
[9:32pm] Malt: Hmmmm
[9:33pm] jokeefe: The state used to have the codes their site, but they took it down.
[9:33pm] jokeefe: Malt: I recently asked for a copy of the city census (for mutual aid stuff), and they sent it to me.
[9:33pm] Malt: I saw!
[9:34pm] jokeefe: have to ask the election office of your city
[9:34pm] Malt: I'm blanking on any other ideas
[9:34pm] Joe left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[9:34pm] Joe joined the chat room.
[9:35pm] jokeefe: possibly a weekly local meetup on meet.mayfirst.org / meet.jit.si
[9:37pm] Malt: That's a good idea, make sure our folk are getting the support they need
[9:37pm] mikey: I'd be down for some kind of weekly meetup
[9:37pm] mikey: are these meetings weekly?
[9:37pm] jokeefe: that is the idea.
[9:37pm] jokeefe: could even use https://jitsi.partipirate.org 
[9:38pm] Joe: Online would be more easy to record as well.
[9:38pm] Joe: *would be easy
[9:38pm] jokeefe: Joe, you will be happy to know there is a https://discordapp.com/invite/UJgEvEy
[9:39pm] jokeefe: True. Probably not to start though
[9:39pm] jokeefe: Ok, we have some ideas. Any others?
[9:40pm] Malt: A d&d game
[9:40pm] mikey: oh is that discord french only?
[9:40pm] Malt: On Roll20?
[9:41pm] jokeefe: Would guess it is mostly french.
[9:41pm] jokeefe: The UK Pirates also have one
[9:42pm] jokeefe: As long as it was Pirate themed, Malt
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Going to move on to the next topic.
[9:42pm] jokeefe: Join Pirate Parties International?
[9:43pm] Joe left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[9:43pm] Joe joined the chat room.
[9:43pm] Joe: I think joining them would be wise.
[9:43pm] jokeefe: I think it would be helpful if we joined the Pirate Parties International as an observer member. The cost is 50 Euro or less, likely 25.
[9:44pm] jokeefe: And we could make better connections with other pirate parties and share ideas and get organizing suggestions from them
[9:44pm] jokeefe: thoughts?
[9:44pm] mikey: lets do it
[9:44pm] Joe: Who would you like to go as MA's rep?
[9:45pm] Malt left the chat room. (Ping timeout: 252 seconds)
[9:45pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:45pm] Malt: Not it
[9:45pm] jokeefe: lol
[9:46pm] • Joe wonders if Malt ran away from the idea in terror.....
[9:46pm] Joe: <3
[9:46pm] Joe: very convincing lag out, lol
[9:46pm] jokeefe: Let’s apply and see what the requirements are.  We are only observing since we aren’t a national party, so ideally several of us
[9:47pm] Malt: Thankyee!
[9:47pm] Malt: I can tag in on occasion
[9:47pm] Joe: My only concern would be that we are stepping on the toes of the National committee.
[9:48pm] Joe: Which we make up a significant about of the council as it is.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: I could understand the concern, but we need to build bridges and PPI isn’t going anywhere.
[9:48pm] jokeefe: I can understand your concern, …
[9:49pm] Malt: If anyone complains, let's invite them to step up
[9:49pm] jokeefe: Plus, they have a lot of knowledge that could help us
[9:49pm] jokeefe: PPI that is
[9:49pm] Joe: Not that I am very happy with some of the actions on the national level and am moved to overstep them.  I just see this as potentially fanning the flames of ire.
[9:50pm] jokeefe: I think it will be ok. We are only observing.
[9:50pm] jokeefe: We aren’t leaving the USPP
[9:51pm] Joe: That was my only objection, you know where I stand on this Jokeefe. For the record, I'm all for it.
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Met some great German/Dutch pirates in 2018 and they are good to talk with
[9:51pm] jokeefe: Malt / srevilak?
[9:51pm] Malt: We aren't superceding anyone
[9:51pm] Malt: If anyone complains,they can help
[9:51pm] Malt: Let's do it
[9:52pm] jokeefe: That’s the pirate spirit!
[9:52pm] jokeefe: Any objections?
[9:53pm] jokeefe: Seeing none I will put in the application
[9:54pm] Malt: Woo!
[9:55pm] Joe: I will cut a check and send it to you for the amount.
[9:55pm] jokeefe: That’s all I have for now. If you setup a time to meet with local people remotely, tell me and I will make sure it gets added to the site
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Sure, once I know what that is.
[9:55pm] jokeefe: Anything else since most of our regular business is on hold during the COVID-19 pandemic
[9:55pm] Malt: Neat
[9:56pm] Joe: Of course
[9:56pm] Malt: Nothing here
[9:56pm] jokeefe: If you see anything to add to https://masspirates.org/blog/resources-to-fight-covid-19/, please add a comment or email me.
[9:56pm] Malt: Will do
[9:56pm] jokeefe: Thanks
[9:56pm] jokeefe: Shall we adjourn then?
[9:56pm] jokeefe: I’ll post the notes
[9:57pm] Malt: 2nd
[9:57pm] Joe: Aye.
[9:58pm] Malt left the chat room. (Quit: https://webchat.pirateirc.net/)
[9:58pm] jokeefe: good night
[9:58pm] Malt joined the chat room.
[9:58pm] Malt: Night pals! Stay healthy